• Skydome

183 46.10%
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murphy will be in charge anyway. I.e., if they pick BMO, the weather will emulate March 2007. (Or perhaps even worse: +2 degrees, lots of wind, and lots of rain.)

If they pick the Rogers Centre, the weather will be just like in March 2009.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    BMO would be best for fans.

Skydome would be best for MLSE’s wallet.

Logical conclusion: Skydome.

It’s the only thing that matters to this ownership group. The only thing.
    Why do you think that it would be the best for MLSE's wallet? Renting the Skydome costs plenty of money, and bringing in grass from the southern US will be incredibly expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    BMO would be best for fans.
    With that kind of a blanket statement, you better state your reasons.

Cuz I could say that in early March, Skydome would be the best for fans:

Reasons: warm, comfortable, no worries about cancelled games due to bad weather, more seats to allow more fans to attend, a roof to keep in the sound to make chants louder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Historical Weather Data:

March 2007 (worst March out of the 5)

6th - High -12.3 Low -22.1, 7th High -6.1 Low -15.4, 8th High -3.4 Low -10.7

March 2008

6th - High 3.6 Low -4.7, 7th High -0.7 Low -6.4, 8th High -5.7 Low -8.5

March 2009
    (best March out of the 5)

6th - High 18.9 (no joke) Low 1.3, 7th High 4.6 Low -2.0, 8th High 5.5 Low 1.1

March 2010

6th - High 9.0 Low -4.0, 7th High 11.3 Low -2.7, 8th High 14.2 Low -0.2

March 2011

6th - High -2.1 Low -8.0, 7th High -1.7 Low -11.7, 8th High 0.4 Low -8.4

Summary - Anybody's guess. Do you feel lucky punk...huh...do ya?
    Thanks for the numbers.

I don`t think the `highs` are as useful to consider... since it`s a weeknight game before the clocks go forward, it`s going to be dark relatively early and there`s no way we`d be at a high temperature at 8pm.. usually that`s a 2pm number. And it`s by the lake, so there`s gonna be wind chill to factor in, which always makes it seem colder than it is. Given these numbers, I`m gonna guess it`ll be somewhat below zero at game time. Whether there`s snow, nobody can predict. I`m not sure if we`ve had a game that was below zero before -- and we`ve had some pretty damn cold games.

MLS Cup was very cold and it was in the positive temps. I had long johns, multiple shirts, big winter jacket, scarf, hat, etc and was freezing in the second half. And the soccer on display sucked because of the conditions. Colorado played their ugly kick and run hectic style, and Dallas tried valliantly to play it on the ground but the weather really caused them to lose their smooth style.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    Lamport is no different then BMO field with respect to by-laws and regulations so why would you even contemplate doing it there.
    Fixed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Not to mention if I am coming from London I don't want the risk of the game being postponed due to weather. Weather in early March is typically awful and that is only extrapolated near the damn lake.
    No problem! Stay overnight ... and watch the game at 10 AM the next morning. I'm sure it would be a much nicer game played in the March sunshine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skydome allows the opportunity for this club to grow the fanbase and make more money which will in turn, help with the long term operations of this club. ie. Scouting, youth academies, player acquisitions. Etc...

Win/win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the general apathy towards the team this year, do people think that we will pull 40k or more at the Dome?

We had a hard time filling BMO for the CL games this year. Once you step out the world of supporters groups and the more fanatical element, lots and lots of people don't really care the CL. I wonder how many more will now?

Granted the stakes are higher, it will be the first game of the year, and with a solid marketing blitz they may drum up some interest, and if Becks is still around that will be good for some ticket sales.

But still, I just don't see a huge number of people turning out for this game. It it is at the dome, I hope I'm wrong. 30k in there sucks compared to 20k at BMO.

edit: I've asked a few STH's that I know that fall into the more casual bracket and they all said they probably wouldn't spend any extra $$ on the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why Skydome is even being discussed tbh.

BMO is our home. Playing outside in real Canadian weather gives us the best possible chance to win as well imo.

If MLSE is so concerned about maximizing profits, they should promote the shit out of this match anyways and create a demand for TFC tickets (that spills over into the regular season). God forbid some fairweather fans might not actually be able to get tickets for this match because its legitimately sold out for once.

The thought of LA coming up here and having to play in -10 degree weather in a packed BMO field is incredible. That's what Canadian soccer is about. Not a bunch of part-time supporters in a baseball stadium.
    Last edited by TFCmatty; 11-10-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    if you haven't noticed, bmo field and toronto fc's fan base is dwindling...introducing the 'product', Toronto FC in front of 10-15,000 is what is needed...i'll tell you, the energy in 112 in 09 was a lot different than it was this year
    I fully understand that, but I don't think marketing TFC in a building other than our home is justifiable. This team needs to win, the fan base is there they've just become apathetic, give them something to care about and they'll come back. I just can't rationalize in my own brain a team playing in a different venue for any other reason than exhibition games or extreme circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLSE initiates an aggressive marketing campaign with affordable ticket prices and sales stagnate at 30,000, that would still be enough to fill the 100 and 200 levels at Rogers Center. In that scenario, the 500 level could be closed and covered with TFC banners, just like Seattle does for it's home games. The atmosphere could still be impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If MLSE initiates an aggressive marketing campaign with affordable ticket prices and sales stagnate at 30,000, that would still be enough to fill the 100 and 200 levels at Rogers Center. In that scenario, the 500 level could be closed and covered with TFC banners, just like Seattle does for it's home games. The atmosphere could still be impressive.
    Sorry mate, you lost me at MLSE and affordable tickets...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If done properly, this event could be massive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCmatty View Post
    Not sure why Skydome is even being discussed tbh.
    Primarily because the team raised it as a possibility.

If they raise it, we are not supposed to discuss it?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Terrible comparison.

No, it was apt. Insert any team in the world, the New York Giants, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Kings, Manchester United, Florida Marlins, Stevenage FC, Munster or the Chennai Superstars in that analogy, it doesn't matter. Teams play games, especially important games, in their own stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't we make it massive at BMO? More people doesn't necessarily mean more intensity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's interesting is that if we had the second leg at home on March 15-17, we couldnt even have the Skydome as an option because of the March Break Carnival they do every year. BMO would have been our only choice at that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Sorry mate, you lost me at MLSE and affordable tickets...
    LOL. Well, this will be a true test for MLSE and their alleged marketing savvy. I think the prices for the 100 and 200 levels only need to be slightly discounted compared to the last round of the CCL matches at BMO Field in order to attract a solid crowd.

I think a pricing structure along these lines would be very reasonable, and realistic from MLSE's standpoint.

100 level - $20.00 - $30.00

200 level - $15.00 - $20.00

500 level - $10.00 general admission

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Primarily because the team raised it as a possibility.

If they raise it, we are not supposed to discuss it?!?
    Fair point of course, still a little disheartened though that its being considered.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. Well, this will be a true test for MLSE and their alleged marketing savvy. I think the prices for the 100 and 200 levels only need to be slightly discounted compared to the last round of the CCL matches at BMO Field in order to attract a solid crowd.

I think a pricing structure along these lines would be very reasonable, and realistic from MLSE's standpoint.

100 level - $20.00 - $30.00

200 level - $15.00 - $20.00

500 level - $10.00 general admission
    get a grip man. its called price discrimination. they might not be RPB's but there are people with money out there. Try $300 for some seats and then $20 for the super cheap ones. Youll see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yup... guarantee there will be some tickets priced over 100 bucks if they do it at the sky dome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical View Post
    get a grip man. its called price discrimination. they might not be RPB's but there are people with money out there. Try $300 for some seats and then $20 for the super cheap ones. Youll see...
    This isn't the Winter Classic with the Leafs vs Habs that we're contemplating. I know there is an affluent demographic market in Toronto, but it isn't nearly as prevalent within the TFC fan base. I doubt that there are fans that would even pay $100 to watch a TFC CCL match, let alone $300, and MLSE is well aware of that. In any case, time will tell.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beckham is still part of the Galaxy come March, people won't mind paying in the
    neighbourhood of 125-175 for the top seats. However is they're aiming for a sellout,
    the upper bowl tix should be no more than 15. That way it will be an easy decision
    for the casual fans.

This game has the potential of being a record-breaking major event if played at
    the dome. If priced right, not only could they sell out the 55,000 seats, the large
    football endzones could be used as standing sections. Sure, the views wouldn't
    be the greatest, but the game would shown on the jumbotron and people would
    still feel part of the atmosphere. I say lets shoot for 65,000 to 70,000

What better way to kick-start a season ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no1redsfan View Post
    If Beckham is still part of the Galaxy come March, people won't mind paying in the
    neighbourhood of 125-175 for the top seats. However is they're aiming for a sellout,
    the upper bowl tix should be no more than 15. That way it will be an easy decision
    for the casual fans.

This game has the potential of being a record-breaking major event if played at
    the dome. If priced right, not only could they sell out the 55,000 seats, the large
    football endzones could be used as standing sections. Sure, the views wouldn't
    be the greatest, but the game would shown on the jumbotron and people would
    still feel part of the atmosphere. I say lets shoot for 65,000 to 70,000

What better way to kick-start a season ?
    125-175$ TICKETS? No. They have to make them cheap, that's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by no1redsfan View Post
    for the casual fans.

I don't care who the fuck is on the field TFC/MLS Soccer is not worth 125$

$60 for the best seat in the house...max

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    Teams play games, especially important games, in their own stadium.
    That's not entirely true in CONCACAF Champions League play though. We've seen instances of Nicaraguan teams and Panamanian teams play games in stadiums other than their own.

And Montreal Impact played a very very important game not in their primary stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing gets under my skin more than how seating is handled in big stadiums for these kind of games. Seattle is about the only one who get it right. For example the Gold Cup game at Ford Field. Why in the fuck would you open the level 300 seats for sale? If everyone was seated in the lower bowl it would have looked great. Or if you want to use upper level seats, don't open the whole damn thing, just use a few sections until they moderately fill up then open some more. I understand that typically neither the tourney sponsor nor the facility people give a shit about the atmosphere but we do.

I don't think we should get hung up on whether there is a high price "VIP" section, as long as there are not a lot of price points and the base price point starts very low. There are sooo many ways they could market this in a compelling way, one example would be to sell advance tickets super cheap (the actual base price) and have a higher walk up price. People think they are getting a discount when in fact that is the base price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All who support playing at BMO better be prepared that it may not be a sell out - and that's a very real possibility if the weather is shit come early March. Also, yes, BMO is our home (sadly, because it looks like an American high-school pointy football stadium), but Rogers is a stadium in our home town too, so who cares if we play a bigger game at a venue better equipped to handle the crowd AND the weather. There will be ZERO advantage to playing at BMO, but the advantage of playing at Rogers is potentially HUGE for the club. It would be a wonderful way to kick-start the new season into gear. I know quite a few people who up to now passed on TFC, but they're considering tickets for the game if it's at Rogers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have it at BMO...if its a sell out thats a good thing for the club. Looks better on the club having a full stadium. That in itself generates interest that has dwindled over the last few years. Rogers Centre will not sell out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me personally I am looking forward to going wherever it ends up being and I am not terribly for or against either because they both have their pros/cons. Luckily it's not my job to have to make that call because half the people will be unhappy no matter what it is. Just looking forward to the game...let the chips (or chip butties) fall where they may.