Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Exactly.

And now especially since Beckham is likely gone they'll have to promote.

Though I'll be upset if they promote it using LA.

a beckham-less galaxy is good for TFC but not good for promotion of the match.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Only 18,000 for their first game even in a stadium that could seat far more? We had over 20,000 on March 26th this season, on a colder day. Not seeing the softness ...
    Save for the non-winterization of the stadium, one of the main complaints was that it would be too cold to play outside.

But it's all a moot point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am guessing that attendance will be "CFL"ish. Somehwere between 25k and 30k. There is no way we are selling out the Skydome, especially since LA will likely be Beckhamless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Only 18,000 for their first game even in a stadium that could seat far more? We had over 20,000 on March 26th this season, on a colder day. Not seeing the softness ...
    I *think* there was a bit of sarcasm there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not about to predict a sell out or a huge bust. But given that Montreal sold 55k for a USL vs Primera league game, I think we can assume that this this game would have more to offer regardless of whether or not golden balls graces us with his presence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ticket sales all depends on how they advertise the game - and the cost of the tickets. Several people from my office have already asked me how to get tickets, and they're by no means TFC or MLS fans. They just like the idea of a big event at Rogers. It's a great way for TFC to introduce itself to new potential fans. These people, by the way, are lifelong football fans, but so far they have dismissed TFC and the MLS due to parity and lack of quality on the pitch. Feels to Mickey Mouse to them. No different than if a Maple Leafs fan moved to Denmark and rejected the local hockey teams over there - but continued to follow the Leafs on TV. It's a valid reason. But big events may draw them out - and then hopefully the live experience will get them hooked and grow TFC's fan base. Fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think ticket sales all depends on how they advertise the game - and the cost of the tickets. Several people from my office have already asked me how to get tickets, and they're by no means TFC or MLS fans. They just like the idea of a big event at Rogers. It's a great way for TFC to introduce itself to new potential fans. These people, by the way, are lifelong football fans, but so far they have dismissed TFC and the MLS due to parity and lack of quality on the pitch. Feels to Mickey Mouse to them. No different than if a Maple Leafs fan moved to Denmark and rejected the local hockey teams over there - but continued to follow the Leafs on TV. It's a valid reason. But big events may draw them out - and then hopefully the live experience will get them hooked and grow TFC's fan base. Fingers crossed.
    +1

IMO, the CMNT should hop on and use this as a way to also promote the next round of the WCQ.
    But we all know they won't...

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting some people would say moving a game to a dome stadium that is not built for soccer and playing on artificial turf would be "mickey mouse".

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a pic of the setup for the Juventus v Fiorentina match from last year. The atmosphere was DEAD but that may been due to the lack of action on-field and number of fans in the stands. The big cement dead spots were really distracting as well, hopefully TFC throws some kind of fan zone or something in there like the UFC did for 129.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Interesting some people would say moving a game to a dome stadium that is not built for soccer and playing on artificial turf would be "mickey mouse".
    Maybe if it had been July, but with the weather in mind I think the turf and venue gets a pass on this one. Also, I'm surprised at how little people know about the MLS or even the (improved) quality of TFC. Unfortunately most people don't really appreciate how far this league have come since TFC joined - and all they focus on is how TFC is crap and can't make the play-offs. Also, of course, BMO looks like an American high school pointy-ball stadium, and that doesn't help either. At the end of the day I just want to introduce as many people as possible to the actual quality of the game itself - and I think newcomers will be pleasantly surprised. Hopefully.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am guessing that attendance will be "CFL"ish. Somehwere between 25k and 30k. There is no way we are selling out the Skydome, especially since LA will likely be Beckhamless.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I'm not about to predict a sell out or a huge bust. But given that Montreal sold 55k for a USL vs Primera league game, I think we can assume that this this game would have more to offer regardless of whether or not golden balls graces us with his presence.

Oooooh.... I hope people here take the bait here and get as many friends and family to the game.

-All the talking down on the CFL and their attendance here on the boards you would think people will have something to prove with us playing in a CFL stadium.
    -What will the excuses be if we don't outsell or do as well as Montreal did with a USL side???

The gauntlet? She has been thrown my brethren.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 12-22-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So is that the turf they'll be playing on?

i'm easy to find, i'll be at the bottom having fun!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    I think all the people who think the MLS is "mickey mouse" will only feel validated if we dont get a really good crowd to the dome. Its up to MLSE to market the shit out of this game and make it affordable to families....the place has to be near full for this to be a marketing success IMO

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seeing those crowd shots of the Juve-Fiorentina that's what you don't want to happen.

And you have to sell out the top level too.

In this day and age of social media, if the upper deck isn't sold out when the images get out and you see empty blue seats, it doesn't leave a good impression.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing those crowd shots of the Juve-Fiorentina that's what you don't want to happen.

And you have to sell out the top level too.

In this day and age of social media, if the upper deck isn't sold out when the images get out and you see empty blue seats, it doesn't leave a good impression.
    They always have the option of tarping the top sections with banners of players, similar to what the Argos have or Seattle does at CenturyLink. I wouldn't mind it, makes it feel a little more like home field for TFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is that the turf they'll be playing on?
    It is, according to this article: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...eague-tfc.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncle p View Post
    I think all the people who think the MLS is "mickey mouse" will only feel validated if we dont get a really good crowd to the dome. Its up to MLSE to market the shit out of this game and make it affordable to families....the place has to be near full for this to be a marketing success IMO
    Most definitely agree with this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncle p View Post
    Hopefully in follow up mtgs with the FO we can get their thinking of what defines success in their eyes for marketing this match. Then we can press them to do more than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toonie Tuesdays for beer.

That's the answer.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Hopefully in follow up mtgs with the FO we can get their thinking of what defines success in their eyes for marketing this match. Then we can press them to do more than that.
    My guess is pack the place and advertise the hell out of it when it goes on sale.

Just my guess.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Billyfly needs to make an iron gate...

Build it and they will come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

i'll take the over on that!

you have set the bar very very low....

ill set it at 40k+

Noway TFC f this up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think Billyfly needs to make an iron gate...

Build it and they will come!
    I've been thinking of making a sign in case I get on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    My guess is pack the place and advertise the hell out of it when it goes on sale.

Just my guess.
    That would be the right answer but of course the fear is they have something more modest in mind or some passive approach to this. "Marketing? Oh we'll send out an email..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is a better look at what the southend looks like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have all of January and February to market the fuck out of the game, and if they set the price low, and even give some tickets away to youth teams and such, then I think it's very possible that we can push above $40k. If they price the tickets high, and they don't market the game very well, then we'll see less than 20k. Either way we'll see a much, much bigger crowd than if the game had been played at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have all of January and February to market the fuck out of the game, and if they set the price low, and even give some tickets away to youth teams and such, then I think it's very possible that we can push above $40k. If they price the tickets high, and they don't market the game very well, then we'll see less than 20k. Either way we'll see a much, much bigger crowd than if the game had been played at BMO.

cost is key......if they price midfield seats anything over $50........it'll be a bust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    one big change from BMO is NO INS and OUTS.

that's a shitty part of skydome ( it's still the dome to me)
    As a fan of smoking and the Jays, there are plenty of places to smoke in the dome. But I agree, no ins and outs is totally fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Molinaro works for Sportsnet, not TSN.

There's a difference between the web/social media people engaging the public by playing up the decision and the business people working behind the scenes early on to make the actual decision.

That I believed that the decision was made a long time ago was not cynical. They would have leaned one way or the other from the get-go, while at the same time gathering info regarding the pros and cons of hosting at each building.

Seeing how MLSE was looking at TFC heading into this season, it made a ton of sense to me that they'd be looking at this match as a splashy "re-launch" of the "new" TFC, and that that could only be accomplished at the Dome.
    Good point. I wasn't really delineating a corporate direction on the poll, just a direction, so sure, it could just have been the decision of the pollster.