• Skydome

183 46.10%
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is our home and ground. Skydome is for the Jays and pointyball.

Time to build some history at our stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some average temperatures to compare with in Europe

Toronto average in March
    Low - 3
    High +4

Munich play in February
    low -3.7
    High +3.5

Turin play in January
    low -3.1
    High +4

Glasogow play in January
    average low +1
    Average high +6

Msocow play in March
    average low -4.7
    average high +2.2

Krakov play in March
    average low -1
    average high +7
    Last edited by james; 10-21-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

Toronto average in March
    Low - 3
    High +4

Munich play in February
    low -3.7
    High +3.5

Turin play in January
    low -3.1
    High +4

Glasogow play in January
    average low +1
    Average high +6

Msocow play in March
    average low -4.7
    average high +2.2

Krakov play in March
    average low -1
    average high +7
    None of that really matters though. It's not part of the culture here and it will offer little to no competitive advantage since our own players don't play in these conditions.

The real clincher however is the cost to MLSE of starting the grass up at that time of year. They won't do it for one game when Skydome is sitting right there. I think the odds of BMO are pretty close to 0%, as all evidence seems to fall on the side of Skydome.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    BMO Field 100%...

I don't want to sound like an ass - but put on a coat & hat if you want to be there live... If not, HD TV at Real Sports is your option...

My favourite is people saying "...nobody will show up in the cold..." Yeah, becasue that has killed teams like the Green Bay Packers!

If you WANT to be there, March temperatures aren't Minus-40 - and you will be there...

And funny enough, our bad weather games are usually our best atmosphere. We've all seen what 20,000 people sitting on their hands is like - and its nothing like 5,000 passionate fans making some noise...

Carts...
    ^this exactly. march isn't that bad ... the mexicans might disagree, but we've survived worse
    ~ illegitimi non carborundum ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skydome if MLSE drops ticket prices significantly and tries to use the game as a marketing opportunity for the sport and team.
    If they don't cut the prices and have no intention of doing so, BMO Field.

i'm easy to find, i'll be at the bottom having fun!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    how about you don't get involved. As i'd love to see this game at the SKYDOME. Jeez I can't belive soo many are desperate to go out to bmo in the winter I'd rather buy overpriced beer in a warm 50-thousandish environment.
    I can quite easily!! maybe the two sides will have to agree to disagree but I want the biggest game in club history (until the next one at least) to be played on our HOME PITCH, the same grounds that was built specifically for TFC!! I wanna start building some real history at home. I'll say that last part again just so everyone is clear where i stand on this issue...I wanna start building some real history at home!!

MLSE has almost 6 months to figure something out with the pipes and pitch. I dont think the Dome should even be a consideration!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't Sky Dome already booked on March 6-8?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Isn't Sky Dome already booked on March 6-8?
    Nope. But it will be soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is our home, But if there is a hope in chance that they can potentially draw a huge crowd at Rogers I say go for it. Why not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    BMO is our home and ground. Skydome is for the Jays and pointyball.

Time to build some history at our stadium.
    Then upgrade the stadium for the big game so more people start to follow the club! With this historic run we have coming .

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    Nope. But it will be soon
    Maybe for some other event, but not for CCL 1/4 finals .
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be at BMO, Skydome will be full of away supporters if they don't have to deal with the cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted BMO for sure but I recall Montreal's 55k for the Santos game was a N. American record for a competitive club match(I could be wrong, doesn't matter). So part of me wants a shot at 55k + 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict a mild winter, pipes shouldn't be a problem in March

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    I voted BMO for sure but I recall Montreal's 55k for the Santos game was a N. American record for a competitive club match(I could be wrong, doesn't matter). So part of me wants a shot at 55k + 1
    Skydome capacity at most for pointyball games in 54 000, trying to fit another 1500 in would be a bit of a problem. But as mentioned multiple times, if MLSE did this right, playing at Skydome could be magic.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it looks like it will be the Skydome. So, lets get behind this and make it the greatest soccer event in the history of Toronto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    None of that really matters though. It's not part of the culture here and it will offer little to no competitive advantage since our own players don't play in these conditions.

The real clincher however is the cost to MLSE of starting the grass up at that time of year. They won't do it for one game when Skydome is sitting right there. I think the odds of BMO are pretty close to 0%, as all evidence seems to fall on the side of Skydome.
    i didnt really have a point, was just showing that if we were to play in March its not as bad as people make it out to be. many countries play in those temperatures. But are stadium is crap and probably cant handle that weather. Sky Dome is fine with me as long as they fill it, otherwise it will be shitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No vote for this. Soccer is a outdoor sport

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto average in March
    Low - 3
    High +4

Turin play in January
    low -3.1
    High +4
    The average low may be -3.1 in Turin, but the extreme lows are nothing like Toronto. This is what bursts pipes. The average low for turin in January 2011 was -1, however the coldest it got the entire month was only -6. In 2010, the average low was -3, however the extreme low was only -6. In 2009, -3 and -7. In 2008 the average low was 0, and the extreme low was -4.

Compare to Toronto on March 6th. The average low is -7. However the extreme low is -27.8 (in 1948). Recent lows were -8 in 2011, -4 in 2010, 1.3 in 2009, -4.7 in 2008, and -22.1 in 2007.

It's those extreme lows - much lower in Toronto in early March, than Italy in January that stop us playing here.

Munich is a bit more comparable, but even there, it normally get's well above freezing most days in February without the extremes we see here. This is not true in Toronto on March 6th, where the high was only -12 in 2007. This is the difference between an unfrozen pitch, and a metre of ice in the ground (or a damaged heating system).

I challenge anyone to find a place where they do regularly play soccer in those kind of temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    Only issue would be the pipes (possibly the weather) and to fix that you order porta potties.
    I fail to see how potties will deal with the $100,000+ damage to the underfield pipes at BMO Field; you must have some interesting thermal properties!
    Last edited by nfitz; 10-22-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    The average low may be -3.1 in Turin, but the extreme lows are nothing like Toronto. This is what bursts pipes. The average low for turin in January 2011 was -1, however the coldest it got the entire month was only -6. In 2010, the average low was -3, however the extreme low was only -6. In 2009, -3 and -7. In 2008 the average low was 0, and the extreme low was -4.

Compare to Toronto on March 6th. The average low is -7. However the extreme low is -27.8 (in 1948). Recent lows were -8 in 2011, -4 in 2010, 1.3 in 2009, -4.7 in 2008, and -22.1 in 2007.

It's those extreme lows - much lower in Toronto in early March, than Italy in January that stop us playing here.

I challenge anyone to find a place where they do regularly play soccer in those kind of temperatures.

I fail to see how potties will deal with the $100,000+ damage to the underfield pipes at BMO Field; you must have some interesting thermal properties!
    ya thats probably true, Toronto does get some crazy extremes in both highs and lows that can happen any time in the year. As a challenge tho Moscow and other parts of Russia averages colder temperatures then Toronto does, and they do play in March and even February in Europa and Champions League. And i dont know what extremes they have, but id imagine they have some crazy extremes much like Toronto.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Well, it looks like it will be the Skydome. So, lets get behind this and make it the greatest soccer event in the history of Toronto!
    How do you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    How do you know?
    Well, prior to the game today, TSN interviewed Tom Anselmi and it seemed to me Skydome was the place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya thats probably true, Toronto does get some crazy extremes in both highs and lows that can happen any time in the year. As a challenge tho Moscow and other parts of Russia averages colder temperatures then Toronto does, and they do play in March and even February in Europa and Champions League. And i dont know what extremes they have, but id imagine they have some crazy extremes much like Toronto.
    Now that may be a good comparison. The Russian season starts in March about the same time as ours, (this year). But there was that Champions League Round of 16 game back in February 2010. I don't follow Russian soccer enough to comment on the situation ... perhaps the stadium is winterized? That one they played on has field turf though doesn't it ... that would be easier to play on in the winter. Playing at BMO might not be such the issue if we still had the field turf. Khimki is grass though ... it would be interesting to see the conditions they have played there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Well, prior to the game today, TSN interviewed Tom Anselmi and it seemed to me Skydome was the place.
    He's been saying that consistently to everyone who will listen for weeks. The debate is only academic, as unless Winter has huge objections to SkyDome, the decision seems to have been made a long time ago.
    Last edited by nfitz; 10-22-2011 at 09:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping the club wouldn't say anything definitive about this yet, so we could continue debating the point for a few months. What the hell else are we going to talk about now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post

Munich is a bit more comparable, but even there, it normally get's well above freezing most days in February without the extremes we see here. This is not true in Toronto on March 6th, where the high was only -12 in 2007. This is the difference between an unfrozen pitch, and a metre of ice in the ground (or a damaged heating system).

Beside that BMO field has the best grass heating system in NA,do you really think they will have sprinklers going in March?

and BTW I have an info that BMO Field would be ok for March CCL game thanks to heating,decision is not made,they have until November to give the COCNCARAP the venue for 1/4 finals.

Concidering that we are playing one of 4 Mexican teams (Santos Laguna,Monterrey,Pumas and Morelia) BMO is the better choice by far.
    Last edited by denime; 10-22-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save this stunt for an MLS playoff game at least i says.

i'm easy to find, i'll be at the bottom having fun!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pipe issues aside, I cant really comment on those, so i'll just say this...If your more excited about this game cause you like the idea of 50k being in attendance, or attendance is a priority above the result than I feel sorry for you....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncle p View Post
    Pipe issues aside, I cant really comment on those, so i'll just say this...If your more excited about this game cause you like the idea of 50k being in attendance, or attendance is a priority above the result than I feel sorry for you....
    I can only speak for myself, but if we somehow got 40K+, I value the effect it will have on our players for that game. I value the buzz it will create, which I see as a benefit for the team in general. I value having casual fans engaged, because I do think they are an important part of the process going forward, like it or not. General interest is good for the team in terms of coverage and atmosphere, which I think helps the product on the pitch directly and indirectly. Making the CCL into an "event" might also educate the casual fan about the importance of this tournament.

I'm under no illusions that this one game will necessarily do all of these things, but it's part of what I hope (God do I hope) will be model of sustained successes for this club going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on a conversation I had with an insider yesterday, very likely to be at Dome.