• Skydome

183 46.10%
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post

The year TFC draws the most in attendance in the CCL, beating Montreals record in the year they join the league
    You really think they can get 60,000 people to watch a TFC game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I think because the city will be TFC starved over the winter I think this can happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    nobody thought 50k+ for Impact would happen?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh... and Skydome.

Big venue for the Big show.

Guaranteed good weather is a bonus.

And if it happens I would guess at least 35,000 will show up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    The game is most likely March 6th to March 8th - unless Tauro pulls off a minor miracle tonight in Mexico City. Even if they do, I'm quite sure that whichever opponent we draw, won't object to Toronto give up home-field advantage and swapping dates - particularly if it means they won't have to play outside in mid-March!
    You don't swap the return leg home game. it is too valuable to play extra time or penalties on your home ground. So Mar 6-8 it is barring a Tauro miracle tonight.

Note also that CCL matches don't split revenue with the visiting team - just a package of expenses and tickets for the visitors. So if there is a way to milk the Dome for a large gate or to market the team in advance of the MLS season, I can see the attraction in that. I voted BMO by the way even if the toilets wont work. Remember Animal House "...every fall the trees are filled with underwear and every spring the toilets explode..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    A great case has been made for both sides - where stand you?

BMO Field - our home pitch. FORTRESS BMO! Our tin can home of 5 years and the National Soccer Stadium (I think?). Likely to be a brisk game in winter conditions. Possibility of snow and colder temperatures than the Kardinal game from earlier this year. A potential 'hell hath frozen over' nightmare for Mexican and Central American teams. Canadians playing in Canadian weather.

Skydome - a colossal giant, 50,000 seat indoor heated stadium. The wrong colour, but the right conditions to attract fairweather fans. A chance to reinvigorate the masses and get this football team back on everyone's lips with a sellout/win and playoff like atmosphere never seen in a TFC game. Montreal had 40k? We can get 50k!

Let me also state - I feel the group should use it's clout as strongly as possible to influence ticket pricing/allocation, advertising, etc... Wherever we play, we should strictly enforce that away supporters be sectioned off to one section only, no scenarios where we have Toronto based Central America/Mexican fans sitting in home/family sections cheering against the home team. I would really like to see some leadership on this issue and hope that someone will take up the campaign.

enough right there in that paragraph...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it from someone who has worked in the construction field with part of that being plumbing, I don't think some of you know what winterizing pipes entails. It's a very costly and time consuming process because of the sheer number of pipes and linear feet that goes with the pipes at bmo.

I voted skydome because I don't believe playing in cold weather is an advantage like some think. It's not like tfc is made up of canadians and russians and norwegians.

Most of all, this is a business and if they can squeeze more money out of skydome than bmo it will be at skydome. I think unless you are a real die hard fan you aren't going to freeeze your ass off at bmo but you might go sit in a warm cozy skydome to watch a game that time of year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    BMO all the way. Let's fill our stadium with fans that want to be there.
    oh right because the fans at the skydome wouldn't want to be there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Time to buy that TFC winter coat now that they are discounted at end of year.... BMO for sure.....

i paid 118 for the tfc stadium jacket. its a very nice jacket very warm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO is the only place for TFC matches..... no where else should be considerd

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skydome...I'd like to hear the noise level with echo and roof AND I'm not crazy enough to want to see ANY players hurt EG Plata, has he even seen snow? The ball would be like a ROCK and the bodies would be very susceptible to injuries......Like to see any who want it actually play themselves in frigid temps.......there would be absolutely zero finess on the pitch....no thanks
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought more about this and once again I've flopped. While it may not be a problem to get all of us to BMO for a game like this come snow sleet or hail, we need casual fans to come as well. We (oh mighty 4-5000 people) are not enough to make TFC games special. The supporters sections weren't what made that first season great. It was the fact that the whole stadium was willing to chant/sing. Whether diehard fan or not. First game, 2nd game, 10th game, whatever. Games like this quarter final match can get people who are kinda into TFC BIG into TFC. Putting the match in BMO makes this the biggest match in TFC history. Putting the match in the Dome makes this the biggest match in TFC history AND barring the Jays being as good as I think they will be, the 2nd biggest EVENT in Toronto in 2012. I think we'd get 50k.

Plus fans will be interested anyways. For one, there will be no bitterness towards the team as it's the begining of the season (and EVERYONE in this city has a clean state to start the year. Except the Argos). People won't be remembering all winter how bad this team is, they'll remember "huh, TFC actually put it together somehow. go figure". There probably won't be basketball for non hockey people to focus on. The NHL playoffs won't have started. Spring training won't have really even started. TFC would have the Toronto sports scene (outside of the Maple Leafs) to itself.

Try and get some new fans. Try and bring back some lost fans who remember year 1 fondly. Try and grow the teams footprint in this city. Make us the lead story on every network. Get us on the front page of every newspaper. What's good for MLSE and what's good for the club/us aren't mutually exclusive. We need this team to be successful on AND off the field. It's giving up one game in our home to get a new generation of people interested in the team and the sport. To have a shot at getting that year one feeling back. I voted skydome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE needs to fix up BMO. (period)

Especially if they intend on using it for the Leafs 100 year bday party.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^

But what about the pipes!?!?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fine with either, but only Skydome if we get a General Admission Supporter Stand.

(that the groups can organize)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I'm fine with either, but only Skydome if we get a General Admission Supporter Stand.

(that the groups can organize)

dont have to be GA....just give one of the ends to the SG'S to distribute

as for the rest of the stadium...5$ upper....$30 lower.......

BUt we all know..it will be overpriced...its the mlse way!

If the dome is used...it could be a great tool....to put this teams face in this city......if its done right..thats the question...

in saying all of that.... BMO is the better choice!
    Last edited by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB; 10-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    dont have to be GA....just give the the end to the SG'S to distribute
    That would be acceptable as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    nobody thought 50k+ for Impact would happen?
    Toronto isn't the city Montreal is. And I say this simply from how the media works in that city. Most there are much more in touch with the local media than they are in Toronto. The papers, for example, would have given Montreal's entry into the quarter-finals more coverage than we got here, where CP reports were buried 6-7 pages into the Star and Globe this morning. It would have been mentioned in the morning radio shows. The media would have been selling the game with excitement. Here they are more likely to be moaning about the price of gas ... and focused less on local issues.

We couldn't pull off the 55,000 that Montreal did ... ironically we may be too big of a town, for it to attract that much attention that it does in somewhere more isolated culturally.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong though.

i'm easy to find, i'll be at the bottom having fun!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think its gonna be as easy to get 35,000+ in attendance as everyone else seems to think it will. And I certainly don't expect MLSE to price the tickets in a way that 35,000+ will want to pay for them. BMO was a ghost town for the group stage games and even less people around the city knew they were even playing. Its gonna take a huge marketing blitz to get the casual fan out for this game IMO.

And FFS can we stop comparing TFC to the impact?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skydome! I want to see 50,000 + at a TFC match in my lifetime!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all tickets should be say $15,general admission with prearranged sections given to supporters groups ...or family packs of 4 for $40...just think!....but there will be costs associated with the 'rogers' skydome I'm assuming...just in realizing this...It would be a great leap of faith for MLSE to 'rent' the dome , so now I'm feeling highly doubtful, knowing MLSE never bites the bullet!...and will just locate the game where there will be the most profit......mlse/teachers and unions quite the match...lol
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People say fans wouldnt show up to an outdoor game in Toronto at BMO field because its cold. But yet fans show up in big numbers for winter classics in january every year. I now this aint the NHL but with MLSE having about 4 or 5 months to sale this game it gives them plenty of time to sell and hype the advertisement about having an outdoor winter game could attract many fans since Toronto has never had anything like this before, or at least in a hell of a long time. However there is also the chances the stadium just wont be ready come early March due to frozen pipes, frozen grass, icey stairways at the stadium exc.

Sky Dome on the other hand is guaranteed safe being indoors. But its the sky dome and alot of people seem to hate the stadium. However it does give them a chance to sell 50,000 tickets. But i must say the only way there are going to sell more then 20,000 tickets is if they sell alot of cheap tickets like Montreal did. They can not be selling ticekts at some of the prices they sell at BMO field. Id say the whole upper deck seats should be $10-$15 maximum if they want any chance of filling the place. Hell maybe dont sell any ticekts in the whole stadium for more then $20. They should rather think of getting the city hyped about TFC again, bring some good memories and maybe bring some new fans to support TFC, and they will make money off of beer, food, jerseys exc. Please dont do what MLSE do so often and over price this game or else it will be more then half empty sky dome, shit atmosphere!
    Last edited by james; 10-20-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Toronto isn't the city Montreal is. And I say this simply from how the media works in that city. Most there are much more in touch with the local media than they are in Toronto. The papers, for example, would have given Montreal's entry into the quarter-finals more coverage than we got here, where CP reports were buried 6-7 pages into the Star and Globe this morning. It would have been mentioned in the morning radio shows. The media would have been selling the game with excitement. Here they are more likely to be moaning about the price of gas ... and focused less on local issues.

We couldn't pull off the 55,000 that Montreal did ... ironically we may be too big of a town, for it to attract that much attention that it does in somewhere more isolated culturally.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong though.
    i wouldnt say we cant sell it out. We can because they have plenty of time to sell the tickets, but they will only sell if they are cheap.

As for Toronto not paying attention because its the big city, i blame the fact is we have more teams to cover then other cities do such as having a MLB and NBA team that no other cities have in Canada and even hosting NFL games, Toronto loves to cover the big Major North America sport leagues. Smaller leagues like TFC, Argos and exspecially the rock get pushed further back in the news while NHL, NFL, MLB and even maybe NBA fill the news pappers here. Other canadian cities like montreal advertise the teams they have because they well have less teams to cover.
    Last edited by james; 10-20-2011 at 01:20 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are playing in weather above 5 °C, BMO should be fine. It's cold, but I think the atmosphere of the game will keep us all warm.

However, it's a bit of a gamble. There's always the chance of really cold weather and more importantly, the structure (BMO), may not be ready.

Either way, I'll be there.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    If we are playing in weather above 5 °C, BMO should be fine. It's cold, but I think the atmosphere of the game will keep us all warm.

However, it's a bit of a gamble. There's always the chance of really cold weather and more importantly, the structure (BMO), may not be ready.

Either way, I'll be there.
    now that we are a massive club...and quarter-final bound..

it's time for mlse to start thinking about building a proper...STADE DE BMO!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

A roof would go a long way.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pumas won which means TFC will play the earlier date (Mar6-8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Regardless of where people were born/raised, the fact is that TFC players will have spent the majority of January-March in Toronto, with the exception of the pre-season training in Florida. It's not a matter of what people would prefer, but what they are accustomed to and what they can handle.

Since the Mexican league will be at the height of the Aperatura, it's extremely unlikely that any team will be here more than a couple days ahead of the match, and therefore completely unaccustomed to the temperatures. So, with all due respect, ALL of our players will be much more accustomed to the climate than ANY visiting team.
    Well said....People seem to forget that the ONLY time the CMNT has qualified for the WC is when we played the games in St Johns NFLD...in freezing weather...the Hondurans and Salvadorans wanted NO PART of it and were intimidated off the park!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Well said....People seem to forget that the ONLY time the CMNT has qualified for the WC is when we played the games in St Johns NFLD...in freezing weather...the Hondurans and Salvadorans wanted NO PART of it and were intimidated off the park!!!
    .... and the WC was in Mexico which meant that they had an automatic birth and the 2nd Concacaf spot was open for the taking. Not to diminish our qualifying, but Mexico already taking a spot was probably a bigger factor in us making it than playing games in St Johns was. It feels like there's a lot of romanticism about playing in the snow, but theres no inherent advantage. Our players aren't from places where you play in cold by and large. And it's not like TFC has EVER played a game in the snow. Why would it be to our advantage somehow? Look at the long grass in Tauro, or the turf here in the pre-grass days. Everyone said the home team should have the advantage because they're used to the conditions but the fact of the matter was the games were basically random. Balls would bounce, people would fall, what jersey colour people were wearing didn't matter. Playing in the snow we'd be as likely to score a shady weather assisted goal as concede it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    I remember watching the game against Honduras, and I don't recall it being particularly cold. Nor does Environment Canada ... about 11°C and cloudy. Not Honduras, but not unusual for a game in Canada in September. Not sure what El Salvador has to do with it - Canada didn't play them - our only other home game in that round was August 17th in Toronto against Costa Rica.

The key to winning that round is that we beat Honduras in Honduras, and drew both home and away against Costa Rica.