Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

morning d
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly recommend listening to the Score's Footy Show podcast for December 12:

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/...+Footy+Blog%29

It really gives a good inside view on the general disarray that the Whitecaps organization is in, and sheds some light on Barber's departure.

We're discussing Barber's departure in this thread:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30322
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very happy to read Mariner's statements in the Sun interview:

MARINER: I’m very, very hopeful that we can get at least two players that can really contribute … We’ve had seven scouts working in the NCAA and we’ve got six scouts working internally in Canada. We’ve got the 50 top players in our view that we feel that are going to the MLS Combine. It’s a question of what we can get at (picks) four and 10. I’m very confident where we are with the draft.
    Glad to see they are not giving up on the draft (sometimes one wondered). Also glad to see that the club has 13 scouts working in North America. That is the kind of professional set-up we wanted and never got under Mo.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei at Melwood. . . . God Im so jealous!
    he will come back twice the keeper he ever was, just by being around Pepe and King Kenny. . .

brings me such joy to have Liverpool mentioned within the TODAY'S NEWS THREAD!
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know how Lindsay hurt his knee? Mariner talks about a "mistake"? I thought he slipped on ice or something. Either way from those comments it doesn't sound good, using words like "get lucky" when talking about him making it back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasn't been announced by the club, but rumor has it that it was a snowmobile accident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Anyone know how Lindsay hurt his knee? Mariner talks about a "mistake"? I thought he slipped on ice or something. Either way from those comments it doesn't sound good, using words like "get lucky" when talking about him making it back.
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...obile-accident

Canadian Soccer News has learned that the serious knee injury suffered by Nicholas Lindsay, for which he will undergo season ending surgery Wednesday, was the result of a snowmobile accident suffered over the holidays.

Several sources within the national team program and around the club today confirmed for CSN that the U-20 prospect and Toronto FC winger had been riding with friends when he was bucked from the back of the machine, tearing his ACL and MCL.

As most professional clubs require players to sign agreements that they will not participate in hazardous activities away from their jobs, it does raise questions about what this young professional was doing on a snowmobile that day.

However, Toronto FC has declined specific comment on the injury but did say “we are fully aware of how the injury occurred” and denied involvement in circling an earlier story that suggested he had slipped on ice.

I’m not about to throw an 18-year-old under the bus - the next year is going to be hard enough. And those around the player who did speak to CSN today repeatedly stressed the quality of his character – both as a professional and as a person.

If there is a silver lining in it for Lindsay it must be, that as a professional, his club has not deserted him.

It bares reminder, players have been dropped for far less in the world of football (Adrian Serioux anybody?) and frankly, after a lack of judgment like this, he’s lucky to still be under contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...obile-accident

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Very happy to read Mariner's statements in the Sun interview:

Glad to see they are not giving up on the draft (sometimes one wondered). Also glad to see that the club has 13 scouts working in North America. That is the kind of professional set-up we wanted and never got under Mo.
    I'm generally not seeing any defenders listed as GA candidates. Given that, and that GA salaries don't contribute to the salary cap (and we're tight against it already) and that the draft is heavy on offensive-minded midfielders and strikers, what are the chances we draft two offensive players with those two first round picks and no CBs? I could see drafting a striker to back up Koevs and an offensive/playmaking midfielder to back up Avila and maybe play on the wings the odd game too. Think we still have (small) holes in those positions (unless Vukovic signs). Maybe Billy Schuler and Brian Span?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting from MLS insider, suggesting TFC may be partnering with a Ghanian club. The article in the link doesn't name TFC, but with us being linked to that Ghanian goalkeeper, and the suggestion in this below is that it's us.

"Mariner’s ties to Bermuda are well-documented. But is an MLS team getting set to establish a relationship with a club in Ghana? That’s what this report claims in a deal that is apparently being brokered by a UK firm."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm generally not seeing any defenders listed as GA candidates. Given that, and that GA salaries don't contribute to the salary cap (and we're tight against it already) and that the draft is heavy on offensive-minded midfielders and strikers, what are the chances we draft two offensive players with those two first round picks and no CBs? I could see drafting a striker to back up Koevs and an offensive/playmaking midfielder to back up Avila and maybe play on the wings the odd game too. Think we still have (small) holes in those positions (unless Vukovic signs). Maybe Billy Schuler and Brian Span?
    if this happens, not the end of the world. TFC always has a few trialists for camp.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yeah, I agree. We'll be seriously stacked up front though if we get two more offensive players - kind of hope they go that way. Looks like there are some very good ones in the draft. A good defense is good offense as they say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MARINER: He was injured and that’s why he was exposed (to Montreal). If you try and put yourself in Montreal’s shoes, do they want to bring in a player that potentially won’t be able to play until mid-year? It was a calculated gamble on our part but we think that we did the right thing. His rehab has been going fantastically well and he’s a very driven young man. We’ve got strength in the centre of defence positions but we need to get some players in for more competition.

to me that's a head scratcher statement...strength in the centre of defence positions?? really? I thought that is where we needed help the most and AM....Wow

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    MARINER: He was injured and that’s why he was exposed (to Montreal). If you try and put yourself in Montreal’s shoes, do they want to bring in a player that potentially won’t be able to play until mid-year? It was a calculated gamble on our part but we think that we did the right thing. His rehab has been going fantastically well and he’s a very driven young man. We’ve got strength in the centre of defence positions but we need to get some players in for more competition.

to me that's a head scratcher statement...strength in the centre of defence positions?? really? I thought that is where we needed help the most and AM....Wow

Did you read the last 11 words of his sentence?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston gets BBVA-Compass (who also sponsors La Liga) as sponsors for their new stadium

http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/a...mo-2401086.php
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you read the last 11 words of his sentence?
    How do they change the BS of the first statment;"we have strengh in the central defense position"??

I hope Mariner is simply lying. Because if this is his assessemnt of our CB situation then he is lost. [ If centre of defense includes the GK then the statement is partialy not a lie]

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Mariner is going to throw players under the bus with a public statement like 'these bunch suck'

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Like Mariner is going to throw players under the bus with a public statement like 'these bunch suck'
    Better not to say anything at all than to say something that makes you sound deluded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think they're as worried about the CB position as we think they should be. Don't think they're standing pat either though.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    How do they change the BS of the first statment;"we have strengh in the central defense position"??

I hope Mariner is simply lying. Because if this is his assessemnt of our CB situation then he is lost. [ If centre of defense includes the GK then the statement is partialy not a lie]
    I was being a bit of an ass, but I guess it depends on how you want to read into that statement.

I'd say that even is Mariner thought his central defence was complete shite he isn't going to say that, he's not going to through them all under the bus. So a gentle way of saying it was to add that line at the end. I mean come on guys, Mariner isn't an idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner was referring to the strength of the central defense with a healthy Cann (and likely Williams as well).

Mariner has also stated many times that they will be adding 1-2 CBs in the off season.

I wouldn't read into it at all. I agree with Yohan, he's just being careful to not be overly (and publicly) critical of Iro, Harden, and Henry, since they will all be returning in 2012 in depth roles.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    We’ve got strength in the centre of defence positions but we need to get some players in for more competition.

After following the sport, hell, any sport, It's common practice of any management to say something positive before something obviously negative about an aspect of their team.

If I were nitpicking I'd say Mariner could've been more exact in saying "we have SOME STRENGTHS in Central Defense" but still the most glaring indicator is the "BUT" that follows that statement.

Those that were at the town hall will remember a similar question being answered about the teams intention to bolster those positions.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 12-14-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Better not to say anything at all than to say something that makes you sound deluded.
    Bingo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Williams and Cann are signed and healthy, I think that's some strength in CB. Not to mention that my whipping boy in the early season, Ty Harden, turned out to be decent in the later season -- he'd make a solid CB backup. Not sure how that's delusional on Mariner's part. Secondly, he clearly says they need more in central defense. I agree with that.
    Last edited by rocker; 12-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great sunshine girl today
    Ai estes são os Ultras do Benfica Primeiros a nascer
    Odiamos os tripeiros Queremos ver o Porto a arder
    DIABOS VERMELHOS 1982

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    if Williams and Cann are signed and healthy, I think that's some strength in CB. Not to mention that my whipping boy in the early season, Ty Harden, turned out to be decent in the later season -- he'd make a solid CB backup. Not sure how that's delusional on Mariner's part. Secondly, he clearly says they need more in central defense. I agree with that.
    Re-reading the quote, this is simply the response of a professional person, trained in media relations. Totally the right response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    BBVA-Compass
    That just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Re-reading the quote, this is simply the response of a professional person, trained in media relations. Totally the right response.
    if that's what it is then that would worry me that it's just media relations - then we'd never know what exactly his responses meant - political speak, i'll give you an answer that can be taken many ways...i understand he wouldn't want to slag active players but frankly i've found Mariner to be pretty honest and straight forward so i believe he's saying we're not too bad at CB just need to add some competition for pre-season - which i disagree with...i think we have a bunch of bench or subs at CB and we really need 2 strong CB's. just my opinion.