Jason buys us both a beer. Done Deal.
    Game-Set-Billyfly!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    IMHO LeafsTV, RapsTV & GolTV are done. Low viewership coupled with the conglomerate being able to split the games on Sportsnet/TSN.
    They would be out of their minds to try and carve the games up only between their two existing networks. That would degrade into a game of tug-of-war for "better access" pretty quickly. They need to remove problems like this if they are going to be effective.

I'll say this: at least Rogers & Bell have some incentive to make the teams perform because they realize the value from increased ratings.

At 1.3 billion (reported) that price is below what they were floating before. 2B was a pipe dream, I think they got their bluff called and started looking at an asset they no longer wanted on the books. Valuation is full, but pipe dreams of an "ego premium" definitely dashed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't tell people at parties who I work for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good news as far as I am concerned. I think most people are forgetting how much we hated the Teachers. I am willing to put some trust in Bell/Rogers because god knows we'll be better off than how we were before.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    The deal at BMO is pretty sweet for whoever owns MSLE. That and the fact that BMO still cant fit a CFL field, they would be waiving additional revenue for stadium naming rights....

Lets not get too worked up, MLSE have a signifigant investment in that stadium as it is with the grass and heating.
    you mean Belgers*TM does

Bones...

---
    Belgers is a registered trademark of all those that drink beer too fast. Use of the term without speedy consumption of beer is strictly prohibited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for the "trade stadiums with the argos!" fear mongerers, that'd require both BMO field and the Skydome being basically rebuilt (BMO you'd have to tear down the south end and the lockerooms/internal stuff. Skydome you'd have to basically rebuild the whole stadium, it's a concrete box with a tiny drainage system. It can only handle a little bit of water. For a grass field to go in there they'd need a completely new drainage system, which'd require MASSIVE renovations to the dome. It'd be cheaper for the Argos to build a new stadium)

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Outdoor (roof open) game for Leafs 100th Anniversary will now be at Skydome.
    I think it was last week, Burke already mentioned how this isn't a possiblity.

here;

“You can’t use the Rogers Centre because the dome cannot be open in the winter,” Burke said. “We haven’t been promised anything but we’re pushing real hard to host it and we’re hopeful."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want BMO to be bigger, the Argos to be in their own stadium and for the Rogers Centre to be a nicer baseball stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want BMO to be bigger, the Argos to be in their own stadium and for the Rogers Centre to be a nicer baseball stadium.
    I was just thinking about it. While TSN obviously doesn't own the Argos, they are basically partners with the CFL at this point. It's definitely in their interest for the Argos to succeed. Maybe they're next?

BIG EDIT: doesn't ESPN own 20 or 30% of TSN? ... Carts? That could be BIG
    Last edited by Waggy; 12-09-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I was just thinking about it. While TSN obviously doesn't own the Argos, they are basically partners with the CFL at this point. It's definitely in their interest for the Argos to succeed. Maybe they're next?
    It's a rumor I've heard of already. With the sale taking place after the 100th Grey Cup.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't tell people at parties who I work for.
    You shouldn't tell anyone......You and BFin.....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIG EDIT: doesn't ESPN own 20 or 30% of TSN? ... Carts? That could be BIG
    Its basically 33.3% - the most allowed under CRTC Regulations...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Its basically 33.3% - the most allowed under CRTC Regulations...
    ... anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Sunday night baseball! MLS games of the week! ESPN maybe even trying to get back into some hockey content? Toronto teams on sportscentER! We're not the ignored cousin anymore! ESPN has a reason to put Toronto teams on the network!! (Ok, maybe I'm reaching a bit. A guy can dream though right?)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better the devil you know that the devil you don't, IMO.

The OTTP were the proverbial scapegoats for when things went bad - at least as far as the Leafs go. Now you've got two national multimedia giants in this country - the Canadian equivalent of Coke and Pepsi - each equally owning more than a third of the city's main sporting properties, and all the bells and whistles that go with it, and Tie Domi's best bud Larry Tannenbaum owning the rest.

This. Can't. Be. Good.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tear down BMO Field.

Build us a proper stadium, not a tin-can prop up.

Call if the Bell-Rogers-Sportsnet-Sportsnet Magazine-4G-Whatevertheheck Stadium, i don't care, as long as it looks intimidating, has a roof, and HAS PROPER CHIP BUTTYS!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Tear down BMO Field.

Call if the Bell-Rogers-Sportsnet-Sportsnet Magazine-4G-Whatevertheheck Stadium, i don't care, as long as it looks intimidating, has a roof, and HAS PROPER CHIP BUTTYS!
    Keep this post in mind because when this happens I will lead the song

"We All Dream Of A Team Of Jacob P's..."
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like most of you aren't going to happy with any owner unless it's some arab oil sheik who likes to blow money for fun
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bell + Rogers = Bogers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember the days when we used to be proud of BMO, when we were playing on turf, etc. i still didn't find anything wrong with it until we started comparing it to other stadiums being built. that'd be like tearing down your childhood home!

stick a roof on her, and that's all i'd need.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    sounds like most of you aren't going to happy with any owner unless it's some arab oil sheik who likes to blow money for fun
    or a russian that wants to drink champagne outt've a champions league trophy!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post

Yep.

Same symmetry with each stand would be nice but it's all aesthetics.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i remember the days when we used to be proud of BMO, when we were playing on turf, etc. i still didn't find anything wrong with it until we started comparing it to other stadiums being built. that'd be like tearing down your childhood home!

it's like losing your virginity to an ok chick whom you thought hot, but then after realized you could be banging even hotter chicks

I'm cool with BMO Field. It's home
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about all the implications, if any, of this sale on TFC.

The one thing I'm NOT a fan of though, is that now one company (Rogers) has a say in ALL the cities pro sports franchises - which I don't like at all. So, whoever they (Bell and Rogers) decide to put in the board room, will effect ALL the cities sports at once. If you end up with a board full of money making profit driven pricks, they could ruin all the sports all at the same time. I'm a bigger fan of separating out all the sports, and then if one is failing, it doesn't impact all the others. So now the MLSE sports are joined with the Jays, making it one giant city wide sports monopoly. I'm not a fan of this at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i love the line from the rogers CEO..calling the raptors a inconic world brand..lol

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I'm not sure about all the implications, if any, of this sale on TFC.

The one thing I'm NOT a fan of though, is that now one company (Rogers) has a say in ALL the cities pro sports franchises - which I don't like at all. So, whoever they (Bell and Rogers) decide to put in the board room, will effect ALL the cities sports at once. If you end up with a board full of money making profit driven pricks, they could ruin all the sports all at the same time. I'm a bigger fan of separating out all the sports, and then if one is failing, it doesn't impact all the others. So now the MLSE sports are joined with the Jays, making it one giant city wide sports monopoly. I'm not a fan of this at all.
    Nobody is.

But from their point of view, everybody makes money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ticket prices lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers and Bell, if you have beef and you call and complain, you'll get something for free. Believe me (seriously, try it). MLSE under OTPP, when have they ever given fans anything to apologize for anything? I use Virgin because I hate dealing with Bell and Rogers so much, but look at their history. The Jays really couldn't ask for much more from Rogers from an ownership standpoint. I havent heard a lot of complains about the Habs ownership situation (though I'm not a fan, maybe someone knows different?).
    It's true, my dad called and complained about the lack of Raptors games on regular TV a couple years ago when TSN2 was new and ended up bargaining with them to a free year of Setanta.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waggy, you know that Virgin is Bell, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outdoor (roof open) game for Leafs 100th Anniversary will now be at Skydome.
    Unless they change how that building works, won't happen. That roof stays closed until May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Tear down BMO Field.

Does anyone think the owners, who don't even know what TFC play for, are interested in plopping down a few 10's of Millions for a new stadium?

Dreaming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Does anyone think the owners, who don't even know what TFC play for, are interested in plopping down a few 10's of Millions for a new stadium?

Dreaming!
    It really depends on how well MLS does. If it does become a major North American sport these owners will at least keep up with the league. But they won't lead the way.