Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    just a super random thought...

does anyone know if he is a canadian citizen? hes been here for almost 6 years, is there a possibility he could play for Canada?

EDIT: Player im referring to is Stefan Frei
    i'd love to know where you get he's been in Canada for almost 6 years?

did we forget what we learned in grade 1 on how to count

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

c'mooonnnnn a man can't double his point in light of his hope for something good lol

and Frei will come to a realization real fast with that Swiss dream, not to say he's not good enough but time is ticking (reminds me of his first year interviews when you would hear him mention swiss every other word)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    c'mooonnnnn a man can't double his point in light of his hope for something good lol

and Frei will come to a realization real fast with that Swiss dream, not to say he's not good enough but time is ticking (reminds me of his first year interviews when you would hear him mention swiss every other word)
    haha

you are right about 1 thing...swiss dream is dead the longer he stays here

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated with the removal of Sturgis.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am confused with how much longer JDG's contract runs for. Is he locked in for this year as a DP and then that's the end of the contract?

If somebody could clear up his status with the team for me it would be much appreciated.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    I am confused with how much longer JDG's contract runs for. Is he locked in for this year as a DP and then that's the end of the contract?

If somebody could clear up his status with the team for me it would be much appreciated.
    His DP status and his contract ends this year.

If he stays beyond this year, it will be on a new contract, which may or may not be a DP deal. Unless he performs like he did the last few games last year for every game this year, I'd be surprised to see him back after the contract runs out.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    His DP status and his contract ends this year.

If he stays beyond this year, it will be on a new contract, which may or may not be a DP deal. Unless he performs like he did the last few games last year for every game this year, I'd be surprised to see him back after the contract runs out.
    Thanks, I originally thought it was done at the end of last year. Some might say wishful thinking.

I think he started playing pretty well last season. In my opinion it was a combo of complete health, more internal stability with the new regime and the addition of quality players. De Guzman appears to be a player who isn't out of place with more talent, but maybe can't make lesser players better himself.

If he could come back for around the 300 000 dollar range, or Carl Robinson territory, leaving room for a 3rd DP I would be happy with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he could come back for around the 300 000 dollar range, or Carl Robinson territory, leaving room for a 3rd DP I would be happy with that.
    I don't get this. JDG@300k might as well be another DP cap wise. Imagine trying to put together a team with 3 DPs and JDG at 300k. That's 1.3 mil in cap on a 2.8 mil budget spent on 4 players
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I don't get this. JDG@300k might as well be another DP cap wise. Imagine trying to put together a team with 3 DPs and JDG at 300k. That's 1.3 mil in cap on a 2.8 mil budget spent on 4 players
    Yes. Even now we are having major problems. We probably don't now have enough cap space left to bring back all three of Plata, Eckersley and Avila, let alone bring in any new discovery signings. (Although it's too soon to be definitive, still many moving parts, eg I doubt that Cann or Marosevic will get anything close to what they got in 2011, and is Bouchiba really on the books for 2012?)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-02-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Yes. Even now we are having major problems. We probably don't now have enough cap space left to bring back all three of Plata, Eckersley and Avila, let alone bring in any new discovery signings. (Although it's too soon to be definitive, still many moving parts, eg I doubt that Cann or Marosevic will get anything close to what they got in 2011, and is Bouchiba really on the books for 2012?)
    It really depends on the individual deals.

There is also the "X" factor. If Frei gets sold overseas, there will likely be half a million in extra funds to be spent on players (amounts over that go to things like facilities).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the individual deals.

There is also the "X" factor. If Frei gets sold overseas, there will likely be half a million in extra funds to be spent on players (amounts over that go to things like facilities).
    I hate relying on allocation money to keep salary under the cap. It's not good for building a team long term IMO
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 DP's are going to eat a large chunk of the cap. After that you need talent to fill out the roster. They can't all be mediocre. Obviously it's tough, but if not JDG or a player of equal value in his role, then what?

We have allocation money, we need to use it. That's what it's there for. We have an opportunity now, it can't always be about building for the future.

Does anyone know when the current MLS deal ends? It has to be over the next couple of years. Surely with the addition of Vancouver, Portland, Montreal and Philadelphia and new stadiums in several cities the salary cap must be set to take a jump up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 DP's are going to eat a large chunk of the cap. After that you need talent to fill out the roster. They can't all be mediocre. Obviously it's tough, but if not JDG or a player of equal value in his role, then what?

We have allocation money, we need to use it. That's what it's there for. We have an opportunity now, it can't always be about building for the future.
    Allocation money doesn't spring like freebies. Teams that heavily relied on allocation money to reduce the cap has trouble maintaining their team, and can't keep players and have a big roster turnover rate.

What's the point of new direction and philosophy for TFC if the roster turnover rate is going to be as same as MoJo years?

Does anyone know when the current MLS deal ends? It has to be over the next couple of years. Surely with the addition of Vancouver, Portland, Montreal and Philadelphia and new stadiums in several cities the salary cap must be set to take a jump up.
    It will end in 2015. Salary cap goes up by 5% every year.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate relying on allocation money to keep salary under the cap. It's not good for building a team long term IMO
    agreed... but it can get you over a short-term problem (JDG's DP money).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd only support using allocation to go way over the cap space if TFC is going to make a cap run (with understanding that team is not going to be there next season)

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could also buy out JDG's contract to address that problem. One player on a guaranteed deal can be bought out each off season without it counting against the salary cap for the upcoming season. I guess JDG did enough after the arrival of Koevermans and Frings to take that option off the agenda.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    They could also buy out JDG's contract to address that problem. One player on a guaranteed deal can be bought out each off season without it counting against the salary cap for the upcoming season. I guess JDG did enough after the arrival of Koevermans and Frings to take that option off the agenda.
    I think that's the case. If he does well this year, he may get a contract extension at lower wages (maybe lower-end DP). He has the advantage of not taking up an international slot, which is rare for a DP.

A good holding midfielder is important in Winter's system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ugur Yildirim

What happens if TFC would sign 29 year old, former Dutch international Ugur Yildirim who is now trying to stay in shape training at the amateur level?I would say: Arie go get'm....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    I was certain JDG would be bought out this off season.
    Sure he played alot better this year but I still don't think he is worth the DP slot he occupies. Especially considering we have Frings now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Sure he played alot better this year but I still don't think he is worth the DP slot he occupies. Especially considering we have Frings now.
    I'm wondering if MLS is giving a lot more allocation than the past for the CCL spot (wanting to make waves in the continental championship). It would make sense, as LA also seems over their cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering you get allocation money for not making the playoffs and champions league I'd say we got quite a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    he performed well in the last half, and there isn't necessarily a dp that can step in (probably until the summer). Want to have a strong team for CCL

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Considering you get allocation money for not making the playoffs and champions league I'd say we got quite a bit.
    The "you suck" allocation was $220k (I think) last year. I think we must be getting $440k more.

It could be that MLS has given each team a "general allocation" (they did this already once before) of $220k PLUS we get a CCL allocation of $220k.

Either that, or they are giving a double allocation for the CCL.

This is based on the rumours that we have signed Caicedo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS cap is fairly "soft" cap. Teams seem to be able to spend more if MLS thinks it's in the league interest. Having Toronto make the playoffs is in the league interest. Wouldn't be surprised if they gave some tacit approval to go over a bit.

Wonder if the Caicedo and Aceval transfers might finally come down to earth at some point this week.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I blogged about this "soft cap" on sportsnet.ca last week.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012...ls_salary_cap/

Any way you look at it, if there is a business reason to exceed the cap, there really is no cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ha, I had your blog in mind when I wrote that post. Funny. Good article!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ I blogged about this "soft cap" on sportsnet.ca last week.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012...ls_salary_cap/

Any way you look at it, if there is a business reason to exceed the cap, there really is no cap.
    Just a note, it's definitely the guaranteed compensation figure that counts against the cap. On top of this players can receive performance-based incentives but that wouldn't count against the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't see this mentioned

Toronto Waives Yourassowsky

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01...s-yourassowsky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^HEY that is a big deal - that opens a int'l slot. Maybe we will sign Ivo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't miss his diving antics, or needlessly getting sent off, but he did score an important goal for Voyageur Cup win last year. Funny how players that a lot of people hate seems to score clutch goals in Voyageurs Cup

-Eduardo Galeano