View Poll Results: Which (ex) TFC player do you hate(d) the most?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mista

6 2.68%
  • Colin Samuel

2 0.89%
  • Nick Garcia

32 14.29%
  • Adam Braz

9 4.02%
  • Carlos Ruiz

12 5.36%
  • Andrea Lombardo

2 0.89%
  • Marco Velez

1 0.45%
  • Ali Gerba

1 0.45%
  • Jacob Peterson

27 12.05%
  • Chad Barrett

2 0.89%
  • Dwayne DeRosario

22 9.82%
  • Jeff Cunningham

91 40.63%
  • Julius James

1 0.45%
  • Marvell Wynne

0 0%
  • Dan Gargan

3 1.34%
  • Andy Welsh

5 2.23%
  • Other (please list)

8 3.57%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Upon reflection, hating Lombardo isn't just about how incredibly bad he is as a footballer (and was in the under 19 World Cup too incidentally, not just at TFC). It's also about his stupid long hair string head band thing too. If he spent as much time trying to be a footballer as looking the part of a footballer then he might actually be one. He didn't earn the right to dress like a goof on the pitch.

Incidentally. Peri Marosevic is going dangerously close into that territory. Get rid of the fucking pussy faux hawk and flourescent boots and concentrate on playing some consistent football!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So a player's lack of skill isn't a reason for hating them? That seems odd.
    Dude, I honestly mean no disrespect here, but that sounds like you lack empathy for others.

Where is the logic in hating someone for something they don't control?

People pick those they "hate" pretty carefully, as opposed to just passionate antagonism. They're two different things. Hate is usually based in something deep and tangible, often something that indicates there's no logical reason left to like them AND they're prick on top of it.

In other words, you hate someone WITH a passion. The passion (the emotional response) follows the hatred (the rationalized dislike).

I'm pretty sure I'm not off base in saying it would seem odd to most people that you find this "odd."
    Last edited by jloome; 12-03-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Upon reflection, hating Lombardo isn't just about how incredibly bad he is as a footballer (and was in the under 19 World Cup too incidentally, not just at TFC). It's also about his stupid long hair string head band thing too. If he spent as much time trying to be a footballer as looking the part of a footballer then he might actually be one. He didn't earn the right to dress like a goof on the pitch.

Incidentally. Peri Marosevic is going dangerously close into that territory. Get rid of the fucking pussy faux hawk and flourescent boots and concentrate on playing some consistent football!
    Oh the hair? I can totally understand the hatred. LOL.

For the record he now has short hair.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    . To me, hate is something earned through disrespect or lack of character.
    Oh, I couldn't have said that better myself. I thought about saying "me first" guys who put their own agenda before team but I like the way you put it.

Totally justifies my selection.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was a hard choice, for which I blame Mo Johnston. I think the player that hurt us the most for the longest was Garcia.

Cunningham was awful, but he didn't get into enough games or stay on the roster long enough to hurt the team too much. Garcia started many games, exhibited poor play, and it was during a time when the team was starting to come into its own and contend for the playoffs (or at least we thought/hoped we were contending). The Cunningham season always had little hope of making the playoffs or contending.

DeRo's antics with the cheque signing gesture was deplorable, but his play definitely didn't hurt the team the way Garcia's did - heck, DeRo was likely our best player during his entire tenure with the team.

So, on my 'rationale', I picked Garcia. He hurt the team the most for the longest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Oh, I couldn't have said that better myself. I thought about saying "me first" guys who put their own agenda before team but I like the way you put it.

Totally justifies my selection.
    Ugh really? We're all trying to move on but you just wont let it go. Do you want me to answer so later on you can accuse me of bringing him up?

Here's a newsflash, all players put themselves first. Making it public doesn't change anything with the team's performance and saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do those who voted Dero remember the gesture he made in his last game here, where he missed the post-game news conference to go to the corner to get a banner memorial for a supporter that had passed way, and have it signed by the whole team? Do they remember that he scored half our goals while he was here? That he wanted to be here? Just wondering.

Not looking for another Dero thread. But Dero being 4th on this list, is amazing.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-04-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh the hair? I can totally understand the hatred. LOL.

For the record he now has short hair.
    Thank you! And thanks to everyone who made me re-examine the roots of my hatred.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Do those who voted Dero remember the gesture he made in his last game here, where he missed the post-game news conference to go to the corner to get a banner memorial for a supporter that had passed way, and have it signed by the whole team? Do they remember that he scored half our goals while he was here? That he wanted to be here? Just wondering.

Not looking for another Dero thread. But Dero being 4th on this list, is amazing.
    Not that anyone should, but if you slogged through any of those DeRo threads it's not amazing at all.

What's amazing is that no one bought MLSE, these must be the easiest sports teams to own in the world...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    What's amazing is that no one bought MLSE, these must be the easiest sports teams to own in the world...
    As an experiment, someone should put a classified in the paper to sell his/her car. Make sure everyone knows right in the listing that, even if they like your car, a neighbour has the right to match any offer. Then see how many people trudge out to your house to even see the car, let alone make a good offer.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    As an experiment, someone should put a classified in the paper to sell his/her car. Make sure everyone knows right in the listing that, even if they like your car, a neighbour has the right to match any offer. Then see how many people trudge out to your house to even see the car, let alone make a good offer.
    Some of the potential buyers might talk to the neighbour first and work out a deal. It might even take place in a back room, you know, if someone really wanted to buy the car...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Are we talking about anyone in particullar???? hmmm.
    Stefan Frei. He has his haters out there. You know it's true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Some of the potential buyers might talk to the neighbour first and work out a deal. It might even take place in a back room, you know, if someone really wanted to buy the car...
    True.

The neighbour might be crazy, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL at the people that hate players for sucking. It wasn't Garcia's fault he was old, slow and overpaid. It was Mo Johnston's fault for signing a guy who's old, slow and overpaid. Hate players because they don't care, or are complete assholes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to hate someone that donned a Red jersey and played at least a few minutes supporting the cause. Many of the list frustrated me to no end though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ugh really? We're all trying to move on but you just wont let it go. Do you want me to answer so later on you can accuse me of bringing him up?

Here's a newsflash, all players put themselves first. Making it public doesn't change anything with the team's performance and saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.
    Note that I never stated who I voted for. I just talked about selfishness and "me first" attitude as being something that I don't admire. Good assumption on your part though.

ensco, it was a terrific gesture. No one is 100% bad... or 100% good. DeRo as a person might be a little different than DeRo as Team Captain. The latter is where I am not at all surprised at his 4th place in the list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

ensco, it was a terrific gesture. No one is 100% bad... or 100% good. DeRo as a person might be a little different than DeRo as Team Captain. The latter is where I am not at all surprised at his 4th place in the list.
    This "armband" stuff is mostly a fiction, a media/fan construct...for me, the captaincy isn't that relevant.

I wanted him out after the cheque signing thing. I didn't like what he did. But I just think hating him is wrong, and says something bad about us. But hate him?

I just think about all the people who wouldn't come, or hated it here (remember them all from season one? Nagamura, Mulrooney, Casey....). Those players are on my list.

Dero wears the Canadian flag with pride, it probably got him traded out of NY. Plus he was and is a gamer, a special talent.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-05-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One player I loved (didn't wanna start a new thread for this) was Marvell Wynne.. and I saw him in Toronto tonight at a bar!
    Totally wanted to fanboy him but didn't. Assume he's in town to visit the company he was with, but couldn't help wishing he was back for business. Sigh.. I know he doesn't fit into our current system but I really appreciate the good he did while he was here.

Cheers to you Marvell and all the best in your career!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunny for me. Disliked him as a player, but his comments about "the prodigal son returning" pushed it over the edge for me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get why we even have a thread about "hating" ex-players. Most clubs don't have collections of "hated" players, with the exception of those who go to a hated rival for more $$$, case in point Mo Johnston Celtic/Rangers.

It must be a Toronto thing.

I prefer to focus on appreciating the players we have.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Robert ... did chase down balls, he did run hard. I disagree completely that he didn't put in effort.
    We must have watched two different players. My only memory of Robert's "effort" was the amount of effort he put into throwing his hands in the air and moaning.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    To me, only Peterson deserves outright contempt. He's the only guy who shit on our team after leaving. So fuck the useless little college has-been. I've got guys in my rec league who outplay that useless piece of shit.
    Now this, I agree with you on. I met JP at the end of season bash before we let him go and he was a super nice guy, really likied him after that - he even won me over after his indifferent/utterly shit performances for much of the season. But his leaving spat - what a fucking pathetic, insular, racist, small-minded cunt. He can go fuck himself.

EDIT - appreciate the thread title and the need to make the list as broad as possible to account for everyone's personal taste, but Lombardo? Seriously? He was out of his depth but a local lad who tried hard and loved being able ot play for his local club. There's nothing to hate about that guy. Although aside from Jacob Peterson and his pissing contest, I don't hate any ex-TFC players (although Cunty does come close, I admit).
    Last edited by Hitcho; 12-05-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I said cunny, but hate is probably too strong. I certianly have not like for the guy and was glad when he was gone. He had no love and commitment for the team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ I said cunny, but hate is probably too strong. I certianly have not like for the guy and was glad when he was gone. He had no love and commitment for the team.
    Something to note, and it's something that hasn't been mentioned here much yet.

At what point is it the team's responsibility to show loyalty to a player as well? In most relationships, loyalty and commitment is a two-way street, and yet for the most part we have seen this team mistreat and disrespect players left, right and centre. And yet it's the players we hate?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Harmse
    Shoot, i picked Adam Braz but i meant Kevin Harmse! Sorry Adam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At what point is it the team's responsibility to show loyalty to a player as well? In most relationships, loyalty and commitment is a two-way street, and yet for the most part we have seen this team mistreat and disrespect players left, right and centre. And yet it's the players we hate?
    Sounds like someone wants to start a poll to see which MLSE exec(s) is the most hated...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that one will be a difficult one to answer unless Mo is assumed and we debate who is the "next most hated". LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I get going on the FO, I will never end. I have no love for the MLSE period. I think their corporate culture is all wrong to build a great football club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrea Lombardo
    Current club: SC Toronto (Canada)
    Lombardo's most recent shining moment came in 2010, when he scored a late goal in a CSL playoff game and took the opportunity to shush a few dozen TFC fans who'd spent the majority of the match heckling him. Fisticuffs ensued at the final whistle. Yup.
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/co...2007-U20-squad

Seems some people really hate him
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more interesting focusing on players. We spend more time watching them literally than "keeping an eye" on management. It's important to keep up with a clubs moves but hardly why we're here.

I mean, one doesn't see many hits on youtube of a manager making the call to sign or trade a player but we can watch players goasl or mistakes replays all day long.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    I laughed so hard when Garcia got popped in the chops and dropped like a sack of potatoes. So yeah, Id have to say Garcia.

^^ This! LOL... I don't hate the guy, but he was freakin' useless!