Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Well given we don't have a DP spot, what are we looking at here? There's no way we have 3 or 4 million bucks to spend in allocation money, right? And even if we do, using all of it in Dec would cripple us. Maybe Garber can fish some rule changes for us? Maybe if we just got Tannenbaum or whoever to pretend to be calling from the LAG instead?

Seriously though, is our only real chance at this to negotiate another year loan for Ecks, buy Plata this year and try and buy Ecks next? I just don't see how we could possibly get both in one off season with that kind of severe spending limit.
    allocation money gives a team so much flexibility that I'd argue against spending all of it right now, if all of it is required to buy just one of Plata or Eck. you want some leftover for July too.

as much as Eck and Plata has been good for TFC, I don't think they are worth crippling TFC with lack of flexibility in pursuing other players
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Probably,I heard somewhere that Ecks salary in England is over 500K £ and we were paying only 70K $.I would be ok with another year on loan,but that's me.
    I suspect if we are paying hims 70k, Burnely are probably paying the rest of it. That's usually the way loan deals work when a club covers part of the salary.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I suspect if we are paying hims 70k, Burnely are probably paying the rest of it. That's usually the way loan deals work when a club covers part of the salary.
    I'd be more than content to have Eck back on loan for next year at whatever TFC is paying him right now. Just do what LA does with Juninho.

Question is, is it really worth it to buy Eck, if Eck does have a desire to play footy again in England? Surely he doesn't think at his age he wants to be a career MLSer? (though ginger boy getting quality Canadian sex does shift in TFC's favour lol)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Yeah,question is how much of that salary TFC will have to pay if we want him for one more year?

I think it's very important that both players want to stay with TFC.Now it's up to MLS and TFC to find the way to sign them.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As surprisingly good as Plata was last year keeping an effective defender who can read the game and can overlap well is much more valuable in our team.

hopefully though we can keep both. and i agree with Denime's thought, it is about time MLS makes something happen for someone other than LA and NYRB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to a Duane Rollins tweet, we have about $400-500k in cap space after getting rid of the waiver group. Mariner will have to be a miracle worker to figure out how to sign both Plata and Eks, plus one or two CBs let alone the depth players to replace the waived players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    According to a Duane Rollins tweet, we have about $400-500k in cap space after getting rid of the waiver group. Mariner will have to be a miracle worker to figure out how to sign both Plata and Eks, plus one or two CBs let alone the depth players to replace the waived players.
    Does that cap space include the money we're no longer paying for DeRo & Barrett?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure. You'd have to ask him, but I'm guessing so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...l-time/page/28

Collin Samuel, doing Toronto FC proud, makes the list of the 50 fattest soccer players of all time!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect couple of Academy players will be signed for depth, and don't count against salary cap.

Plus whoever TFC picks with two first rounders in Jan, and one of them will probably be a GA

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Some people's perception of value is a little weird on this forum. Like, some people are saying that Vitti would be well worth in excess of 200k, yet others saying Plata is not worth anything more than 125k?

To me, Plata IS worth well in excess of 200k, he had an outstanding season last year!As Mariner is talking big money, I'm assuming the Plata contract would definitely be more than 200k. And Eckersley for sure would want more than 200k, as I'm sure he's already currectly getting this at Burnley. BUT, he could take a pay cut just so he can stay here, he seems to love the city!
    Quoted for truth.

We just signed an unproven defender who many here are happy to have as DEPTH for $125 K yet Plata is not worth that. Interesting. I agree with T-boy on this, we will have to drop some coin to keep these players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    Quoted for truth.

We just signed an unproven defender who many here are happy to have as DEPTH for $125 K yet Plata is not worth that. Interesting. I agree with T-boy on this, we will have to drop some coin to keep these players.
    I don't think Hall is not a good signing, for his salary. 75k would be more acceptable for a player who absolutely sucked at RB last season

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I expect couple of Academy players will be signed for depth, and don't count against salary cap.

Plus whoever TFC picks with two first rounders in Jan, and one of them will probably be a GA
    Some of a GA's salary counts againgst the cap doesn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. Last years but most rules are the same. Cap has increased by 5%

I. MLS ROSTER COMPOSITION

A Major League Soccer club’s first team roster is comprised of up to 30 players. All 30 players are eligible for selection to each 18-player game-day squad during the regular season and playoffs.

Salary & Budget:

Players occupying roster spots 1-20 count against the club’s 2011 salary budget of $2,675,000, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Salary Budget Players.
    Roster spots 19 and 20 are not required to be filled, and teams may spread their salary budget across only 18 Salary Budget Players. A minimum salary budget charge will be imputed against a team’s salary budget for each unfilled senior roster slot below 18.
    The maximum budget charge for a single player is $335,000.*
    A Designated Player counts $335,000 against the club’s salary budget, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $167,500.
    * See section entitled Allocation Money below, under Player Acquisition Mechanisms, for details on buying down a player’s budget charge.

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
    All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    Players occupying roster spots 1-24 will earn at least $42,000 in 2011.
    Players occupying roster spots 25-30 will earn at least $32,600 in 2011.
    Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.
    Clubs may sign up to two Home Grown Players to Generation adidas contracts.
    Age Designations:

Any player making $32,600 must be under the age 25 (does not turn 25 or older in 2011).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Thanks for that post.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope. it's one of reasons why GAs are highly sought after (that, and they tend to be better players in a draft)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i see that now. We need to make really good use of those two first rounders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, i see that now. We need to make really good use of those two first rounders.
    TFC has 4th and 12th pick. Mariner has a good eye for college talent, so I expect to see at least one borderline starter/depth player for 2012 season

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, their player evaluation is very good. There are a few centre backs people are talking about. One looks to be going first unfortunately. Wenger I think his name is?

In the future, teams will win or lose by the quality of their academies in my opinion (given that home grown players aren't part of the cap). I think that's a plus for us with our current management.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NBC has hired Arlo White for their PBP guy

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/44834/nbc-picks-arlo-white-for-play-by-play.html

While White is a bit of Sounders homer, he's IMO by far best PBP for soccer in NA. (though Ian Darke has done good as well)
    Last edited by Yohan; 12-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen anybody post The Score interview with DeGuzman yet, so here it is. It's pretty fascinating actually:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbe7RbE-Dz0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnrOyvNfmXQ

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...l-time/page/28

Collin Samuel, doing Toronto FC proud, makes the list of the 50 fattest soccer players of all time!
    Who ate all the pies!!!!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you notice how many keepers are on that list?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's why I don't think Frei will get you as much in return in a trade as people think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto has three designated players on contract, giving the Reds very little room on the MLS salary cap to exercise all options on its "wish list," Mariner explained.
    Seems to me like it would be in everybodys interests to pay off de Guzman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Seems to me like it would be in everybodys interests to pay off de Guzman.
    Except the guys paying the bill.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    and whether people think Dunfield is good enough replacement for JDG (I personally disagree)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and whether people think Dunfield is good enough replacement for JDG (I personally disagree)
    I'm with you on that one. Out of our midfield Stinson looked the best coming off the bench. If he continues to develop at this pace he'll be a beast for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a bit more than that though. It's more a question of whether the team would be better with Dunfield as opposed to JDG and the cap space from JDG invested in another player/players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    meh not really, it would definitely pay off if it meant helping the team do better next season