Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Transparency International Pulls Support From FIFA Anti-Corruption Program

Transparency International, an adviser to soccer’s governing body on anti-corruption reforms, has withdrawn its assistance because it doesn’t feel a special group tasked with creating reforms is “truly independent.”

Sylvia Schenk, senior adviser for sport, said the organization turned down an invitation to join FIFA’s outside governance committee because its chairman Mark Pieth is being paid by the soccer body and also after Pieth said he wouldn’t be looking at allegations of past wrongdoing.
    Sepp and the FIFA Ex-Co losing credibilty at every turn.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

morning d
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...cs-aron-winter

this is better than the one posted on torontofc.ca

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...e-at-bmo-field

Leafs pushing a bmo field heritage classic again.

so what? the pipes will work for hockey in winter but not for soccer?

“We want to host the Canadian version — the Heritage Classic,” Burke said. “Even if it’s a bitterly cold day, there are enough venues around BMO Field such as the Ricoh Centre, the convention centre and underground parking to keep fans indoors until 10 minutes before game time.”
    way to embrace the spirit of things there burke.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very telling comments from Winter:

Winter: I came late. But I didn’t have a good roster. I saw a lot of games from the 2010 season for Toronto FC. I gave players three or four months. Maybe I should have done it earlier in the season to trade a lot of players, but July is when I did it. The players that I traded could not or were not fitting in the system. And maybe there were some players who were good but didn’t want to be part of the process that I started in January.
    That would have been my main criticism of Winter, if he had done the trades earlier, he might have saved the season. In retrospect he now suspects that he gave the old guys too many chances, and in so doing dug too deep of a hole. Of course Frings and Koevs couldn't come until the transfer window opened, but if he had pulled off more ties before that time (similar to what Arena did with LA when he rebuilt) maybe the season could have been saved.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

That would have been my main criticism of Winter, if he had done the trades earlier, he might have saved the season. In retrospect he now suspects that he gave the old guys too many chances, and in so doing dug too deep of a hole. Of course Frings and Koevs couldn't come until the transfer window opened, but if he had pulled off more ties before that time (similar to what Arena did with LA when he rebuilt) maybe the season could have been saved.
    I think he did the right choice at the right time......He probably felt that the old guys will eventually get the system, but sometimes it is a lot harder to teach an old dog new tricks....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Hindsight is always 20-20 my friend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds slike keeping De Guzman on a DP contract might hamper TFC being able to sign both Plata and Eckersley, which is a real shame. I'd much prefer to see them both than DeGuzman. If it came down to it, would TFC buy out DeGuzman to keep both the other players?!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Sounds slike keeping De Guzman on a DP contract might hamper TFC being able to sign both Plata and Eckersley, which is a real shame. I'd much prefer to see them both than DeGuzman. If it came down to it, would TFC buy out DeGuzman to keep both the other players?!
    I think it depends on how much does resigning guys like Avila costs TFC in terms of cap space.

I don't think Plata is worth more than 125k, and Eck about 200k right now.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I think it depends on how much does resigning guys like Avila costs TFC in terms of cap space.

I don't think Plata is worth more than 125k, and Eck about 200k right now.
    Some people's perception of value is a little weird on this forum. Like, some people are saying that Vitti would be well worth in excess of 200k, yet others saying Plata is not worth anything more than 125k?

To me, Plata IS worth well in excess of 200k, he had an outstanding season last year!As Mariner is talking big money, I'm assuming the Plata contract would definitely be more than 200k. And Eckersley for sure would want more than 200k, as I'm sure he's already currectly getting this at Burnley. BUT, he could take a pay cut just so he can stay here, he seems to love the city!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I think of a hockey coach thinking of playing hockey at BMO...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that there was already lots of "turnover fatigue" in TFC-land when Winter started. Most people (probably including most fans, players, management, etc.) were sick of five years of revolving doors, and were hoping that the majority of the players we had would work out, with some key additions & better coaching. Winter would have gotten even more flack if he had ditched a larger number of players early in the season -- and we would have blamed that of course if the moves didn't work out immediately. Plus a few players did stick and have turned out half decent -- there's a good chance that Winter/Mariner would have pulled the plug on the wrong ones if they had done it too hastily.

I think the bad delays were before that: not ditching Mo a year earlier; not hiring Klinsmann immediately after Mo & Preki were fired. (It was clear things were going south before that -- MLSE should have already had a plan B ready to go. I think they were only convinced to go for a big splash due to poor renewals & general unrest in the fall of 2010.) So then Winter/Mariner came in too late. IMO we were in worse shape than your average expansion team as a result.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    there's a good chance that Winter/Mariner would have pulled the plug on the wrong ones if they had done it too hastily.
    LaBrocca?! :s

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    LaBrocca?! :s

LaBrocca said in the interview pats summer that the TFC system did not workout for him,and that trade was good for both,TFC and him.He would not have a such a good season if he was still with TFC.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rememeber after that Chivas game in LA before the Pumas game LaBrocca and Winter had a really long conversation on the pitch. Looked like mates. I don't think there's any ill will there at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I rememeber after that Chivas game in LA before the Pumas game LaBrocca and Winter had a really long conversation on the pitch. Looked like mates. I don't think there's any ill will there at all.
    I saw that as well. I don't think Winter really wanted to trade LaBrocca; he knew he was a decent player. But midfield is one area where TFC has some depth, especially since (as we now know) Frings was already a definite possibility at the time of the LaBrocca trade. LaBrocca was therefore a player good enough for a decent trade -- and we know Alan Gordon did great in exchange, except for those injuries....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"to take care of the young players that we are going to add to the roster and to develop them very well "
    ....hmm i wonder if there will be more academy kids being promoted

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    ....hmm i wonder if there will be more academy kids being promoted
    I think academy is going to be main source of depth for TFC... esp since most of them won't count against cap space
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...rrive-portland

As he continues to work on bringing back João Plata and Richard Eckersley to Toronto FC in 2012, TFC director of player development Paul Mariner also reveals his preference that the club play its CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal against the LA Galaxy at BMO Field: “Personally, I'm a BMO Field guy. I think you use every single advantage you have.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I understand it, any transfer fee is added to the value of the contract and amortized over its duration. So, for example, if we have to pay $300,000 to buy out plata and then give him a 3 year contract at $100,000 per year, his annual hit to the cap would be $200,000 ($100,000 + $300,000/3). If this amount goes over the max salary, I think you can bring it down with allocation or you have to make him a DP (which some other teams have had to do)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    As I understand it, any transfer fee is added to the value of the contract and amortized over its duration. So, for example, if we have to pay $300,000 to buy out plata and then give him a 3 year contract at $100,000 per year, his annual hit to the cap would be $200,000 ($100,000 + $300,000/3). If this amount goes over the max salary, I think you can bring it down with allocation or you have to make him a DP (which some other teams have had to do)
    This is correct.

I think this is what makes signing Eckersley full time a problem. We can't have another DP, and I'm sure Burnley would want to recoup some of the money spent on him already - so Ecks salary plus a purchase fee, would more probably take him into DP money. So that leaves the only option of extending his loan right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any public record of how much allocation money we have? Didn't realize how important it is in this league!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is there any public record of how much allocation money we have? Didn't realize how important it is in this league!
    no... it's one of things MLS is supposedly working on to make it more transparent (from Supporter's Summit). it's all guesswork how much TFC has in allocation atm

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    no... it's one of things MLS is supposedly working on to make it more transparent (from Supporter's Summit). it's all guesswork how much TFC has in allocation atm
    Well given we don't have a DP spot, what are we looking at here? There's no way we have 3 or 4 million bucks to spend in allocation money, right? And even if we do, using all of it in Dec would cripple us. Maybe Garber can fish some rule changes for us? Maybe if we just got Tannenbaum or whoever to pretend to be calling from the LAG instead?

Seriously though, is our only real chance at this to negotiate another year loan for Ecks, buy Plata this year and try and buy Ecks next? I just don't see how we could possibly get both in one off season with that kind of severe spending limit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Well given we don't have a DP spot, what are we looking at here? There's no way we have 3 or 4 million bucks to spend in allocation money, right? And even if we do, using all of it in Dec would cripple us. Maybe Garber can fish some rule changes for us? Maybe if we just got Tannenbaum or whoever to pretend to be calling from the LAG instead?

Seriously though, is our only real chance at this to negotiate another year loan for Ecks, buy Plata this year and try and buy Ecks next? I just don't see how we could possibly get both in one off season with that kind of severe spending limit.
    allocation money gives a team so much flexibility that I'd argue against spending all of it right now, if all of it is required to buy just one of Plata or Eck. you want some leftover for July too.

as much as Eck and Plata has been good for TFC, I don't think they are worth crippling TFC with lack of flexibility in pursuing other players

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regular sex with a Canadian girl for a Ginger British boy is worth WAY more than 500k a year! He would stay here for that alone, I'm sure! (speaking from experience, being a ginger british boy myself, haha!). Whoever this girl is, we need to give HER 500k!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As surprisingly good as Plata was last year keeping an effective defender who can read the game and can overlap well is much more valuable in our team.

hopefully though we can keep both. and i agree with Denime's thought, it is about time MLS makes something happen for someone other than LA and NYRB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to a Duane Rollins tweet, we have about $400-500k in cap space after getting rid of the waiver group. Mariner will have to be a miracle worker to figure out how to sign both Plata and Eks, plus one or two CBs let alone the depth players to replace the waived players.