Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NEW MLS Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If you look at where the game was in England in the 1870's-1890's, they went through all kinds of changes. It's perfectly normal for a young league. You can also look at the history of football in Latin American or even in Germany in the post-war period to see that younger leagues tend to shift things around, they only solidify their format when they get more mature.

We can't pretend that MLS is a mature league, it isn't. However, I believe that the future is bright for the game here in North America.
    Yes, I agree, the future is bright. But it'll still take some work and a lot of money. Some people talk as if soccer's success is the US is as easy as putting on the games. It's an incredibly competitive market.

You can look at what other sports leagues in North America went through to become successful and see a lot of experimentation and changes before, as you say, they matured. It's hard to picture now, but the NFL was once the one with a shaky future (okay, maybe the AFL, but they were both very far behind baseball) and the NBA and NHL were both regional, practically minor leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're obviously figuring it out as they go along. As more teams join the league, travel became a factor and that affected the product hence experimentation, changes year over year.

It sounds like a mess but they have 19 teams which complicates things. It would be stupid for them to stop a team from joining the league so that they can even additions. We have no clue what will happen to the new NY franchise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    They're obviously figuring it out as they go along. As more teams join the league, travel became a factor and that affected the product hence experimentation, changes year over year.

It sounds like a mess but they have 19 teams which complicates things. It would be stupid for them to stop a team from joining the league so that they can even additions. We have no clue what will happen to the new NY franchise.
    I think we won't see a new team for another 3 years. Although I'd prefer to stop at 20 for some breathing room and to reorganize the league before expanding further, no other markets seems to be willing to step up.

Potential market in next 3-5 yrs
    -Detroit
    -St Louis
    -Orlando (avg 6k in attendance this year)
    -San Diego (just move Chivas USA there)
    -Las Vegas
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I think we won't see a new team for another 3 years. Although I'd prefer to stop at 20 for some breathing room and to reorganize the league before expanding further, no other markets seems to be willing to step up.

-Detroit
    -St Louis
    -Las Vegas
    I'd be very leery of Orlando and Las Vegas as potential markets. Orlando just started up this year after Steve Donner sweet talked the owners of Austin to move their team there. Plus, they'd need a new SSS to play in because the Citrus bowl ain't gonna cut it, and after the city got blackmailed into building another new playpen for the NBA Magic, are they really that interested in putting up money for another stadium in these economic uncertainties? I'd rather South Florida and/or Tampa Bay get another shot.

And Las Vegas is a disaster waiting to happen. Not only are you playing in the brutal desert heat in the summer, but because Las Vegas is set up as a 24 hour working town - a third of the people are working, a third are sleeping, and a third are avaliable to do whatever - they're really limited in the audience they can get.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I'd be very leery of Orlando and Las Vegas as potential markets. Orlando just started up this year after Steve Donner sweet talked the owners of Austin to move their team there. Plus, they'd need a new SSS to play in because the Citrus bowl ain't gonna cut it, and after the city got blackmailed into building another new playpen for the NBA Magic, are they really that interested in putting up money for another stadium in these economic uncertainties? I'd rather South Florida and/or Tampa Bay get another shot.

And Las Vegas is a disaster waiting to happen. Not only are you playing in the brutal desert heat in the summer, but because Las Vegas is set up as a 24 hour working town - a third of the people are working, a third are sleeping, and a third are avaliable to do whatever - they're really limited in the audience they can get.
    yeah, but what 3rd tier team draws 6k on avg?

SSS would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Esp if an investor who's willing to pitch in for a stadium in the future

What makes you think South Florida and Tampa Bay would be better? They had their chance, and haven't shown anything to be worthy of a team.

Vegas doesn't have any major pro teams. With good marketing, surely 15k attendance is possible
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, but what 3rd tier team draws 6k on avg?

SSS would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Esp if an investor who's willing to pitch in for a stadium in the future

What makes you think South Florida and Tampa Bay would be better? They had their chance, and haven't shown anything to be worthy of a team.
    But Orlando does? Based on their attendance from a tier 3 perspective in year one? Is Steve Donner papering some parts here and there?

Let's face it, all of Florida is a practical graveyard for sports. I just threw in South Florida and Tampa Bay because they have a large background in professional soccer, which Orlando doesn't.
    Vegas doesn't have any major pro teams. With good marketing, surely 15k attendance is possible
    And, from my reason stated, that's problably why there's no major league teams in Vegas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Detroit
    -St Louis
    -Las Vegas
    San Diego would work if chivas moved there. St. Louis is another possibility, but the rest, no way.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that you'd add Phoenix in there. With a very large metropolitan population (and a large hispanic element), I'd be surprised if the Valley of the Sun was not considered).
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Orlando does? Based on their attendance from a tier 3 perspective in year one? Is Steve Donner papering some parts here and there?

Let's face it, all of Florida is a practical graveyard for sports. I just threw in South Florida and Tampa Bay because they have a large background in professional soccer, which Orlando doesn't.
    I dunno. Floridans love hype just as much as Torontonians do
    And, from my reason stated, that's problably why there's no major league teams in Vegas.
    vegas can't be that much hotter than playing in dallas or houston mid summer

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were czar I would have a second NY team, relocate Columbus to St Louis, and stop for 5 years.

MLS have a lot to digest. They need to focus on stability and market development.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    So, in theory the MLS cup could be played in Toronto next year
    and at the next mls cup in toronto our boys should be playing
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    I would think that you'd add Phoenix in there. With a very large metropolitan population (and a large hispanic element), I'd be surprised if the Valley of the Sun was not considered).
    What does mean? It's not as if by default just because they are hispanic they will support a Phoenix team.
    Look at LA and Chivas. They are trying everything there and can't get good crowds out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    and at the next mls cup in toronto our boys should be playing
    Me thinks is that is what he meant when he said next MLS Cup in Toronto.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You are Bob McCown, and I claim my £5.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    You are Bob McCown, and I claim my £5.
    I like soccer. You lose that bet.