Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Cup 2011, Sun 20 Nov 9pm

End of another season, with Houston Dynamo and LA Galaxy going for it.

It's an intriguing match, and LA is the favourite, however, Houston has been red hot.

Will be cheering for Houston to put one over LA.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll watch.
    If Home Depot Centre isn't full to see Galaxy play a final on their home turf I'd be surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All be there watching thegame with Boris and my daughter Stephanie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be unpopular - but I hope LA takes the title.

I think it will be good for the league if they do.

A full house, and three international stars (Becks, Keane, Donovan) might just push other deep-pocket owners to shell out for stars, see the impact, and push for higher standards.

A full house (this is very important) and a convincing win / big spectacle would show the league in a good light (not a blowout or anything) on the world stage.

During the Ireland/Estonia match, the commentators were talking regularly about the MLS cup (obviously due to Keane), seeing him win it (and the other worldwide known stars) would help the credibility of the league I think.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the league definitely needs LA to win this. With 3 DPs, it will look very bad if they don't.

But I don't think there is much danger to that not happening. With Davis out, Houston is missing a key piece. Of course, some players have mused that he may not be out at all? Interesting...now that would be some gamesmanship!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got indoor soccer, then when i get home, prolly watch the amazing race

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    This is going to be unpopular - but I hope LA takes the title.

I think it will be good for the league if they do.

A full house, and three international stars (Becks, Keane, Donovan) might just push other deep-pocket owners to shell out for stars, see the impact, and push for higher standards.

A full house (this is very important) and a convincing win / big spectacle would show the league in a good light (not a blowout or anything) on the world stage.

During the Ireland/Estonia match, the commentators were talking regularly about the MLS cup (obviously due to Keane), seeing him win it (and the other worldwide known stars) would help the credibility of the league I think.
    I actually agree. LA winning is what's best for MLS.

Hopefully then they will have a victory hangover that lasts until we beat them in the CCL!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what channel is it on?
    I seem to think TSN2 which fucking sucks as although im no longer paying for cable (now a student), I am getting cable for free (just not tsn 2)

Edit:
    nevermind, its throwball thats on at that time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regardless of my dilemma, it wont get the proper exposure it could.
    what could they be possibly showing on tsn at that bloody time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tune in to TSN2 at 9 p.m. ET

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ NFL. Eagles vs Giants. Probably a bigger draw...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    ^^ NFL. Eagles vs Giants. Probably a bigger draw...
    yeah, unfortunately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L.A going to set the record for most losses in a MLS Cup final? Oh yeah!

A pint of Landon Donovan's tears, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect, I'm playing my first Indoor Game at 8 then I'll catch this game when I'm back.

I always cheer for the underdog, but my money is on LA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I think the league definitely needs LA to win this. With 3 DPs, it will look very bad if they don't.

But I don't think there is much danger to that not happening. With Davis out, Houston is missing a key piece. Of course, some players have mused that he may not be out at all? Interesting...now that would be some gamesmanship!
    It'd be amazing if Brad Davis plays with a torn quad

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    L.A going to set the record for most losses in a MLS Cup final? Oh yeah!

A pint of Landon Donovan's tears, please.
    +1

I think LA is favourite too, but this game is more even than people thinks by looking at the paper.

Houston has been hot, on a 8 game unbeaten streak right now. LA's midgets will have to deal with Houston's 6 footers on set pieces. Adam Moffat has stepped nicely into into DM role, and decent on set pieces and has a rocket for a right foot. Brazilian CM Luis Camargo can put a pass together. Cameron, Hainault > Gonzalez, De La Garza.

I'm going to predict an upset here. 2-1 Houston. (plus this allows no DP has ever won an MLS Cup streak. lol)

though you never know if a fix is on...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if the MLS Cup will be shown at any of the well-known pubs around town...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^real sports?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's OK to cheer for LA. The Galaxy play a beautiful, possession game. They deserve respect.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think it's OK to cheer for LA. The Galaxy play a beautiful, possession game. They deserve respect.
    beautiful, possession game? it's not kick and run, but Arena utilizes slightly more aggressive Preki tactics.

wanna see boring football? let Galaxy lead the game. defensive counters is the Galaxy game

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    beautiful, possession game? it's not kick and run, but Arena utilizes slightly more aggressive Preki tactics.

wanna see boring football? let Galaxy lead the game. defensive counters is the Galaxy game
    I don't see them all that often. I saw them play their last game against Chivas, and the RSL playoff game, and they played the way I described it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always liked L.A. I just hope its an entertaining game.

Good for Dunivant and Barrett to get a championship. Barrett is out with a dislocated foot. Although a fan favourite, his foot never located much when he was here. Ha ha... likable guy, I hope he wins a ring.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched the condensed version of the LA-Houston match from May 25th on MLS Live. Houston had Davis and LA was missing Beckham. LA beat Houston 1-0. I would not describe how LA was playing as "Preki-like" at all. They had a nice flowing game (not quite as beautiful as RSL had in the CCL last year, which looked really good) with lots of possession and chance-creation. Houston had their moments, but never looked as good as LA.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any streams?
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better yet - anyone intrested in going out and watching it somewhere?
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much for sunny Southern California. It's going to be a wet one.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ightly-mls-cup

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, let it be so!

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be GREAT for the league if Becks didn't win... how can you argue that it would be good for the league? All it would do is prove that a team can win with washed up european stars. A win for Houston would show that there is true talent in North America and Becks going home without a trophy would show people in Europe the level here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^K most would just chalk it up to you being right about the "washed up Euro's". It will be decades plural before respect is given to our league. Hope I'm around for it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=1916&id=21221

MLS Cup preview show.

Also links to supporter summit are up

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)