Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    thats's below MLS average...
    What's your point? It doesn't dispute the fact that 7 clubs had average attendances below 15,000 in 2011.

Like Columbus with 12,185 or San Jose with 11,858.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats's below MLS average...
    That /was/ below MLS average. Toronto's average attendance falling will drag down the average a fair bit.

But what do they expect, they charge extortionate prices for subpar football. Price drops would do more than personal calls from Mr. Winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Oh but 50k will be chomping at the bit to see them at the skydome :/
    (not a jab at you TorCanSoc)

cool he called tho
    No jab taken.

50,000 people to watch TFC play (the CCL game of course). I dream of it. I know a lot of us hard core guys want to focus on the football and the team. But I like a good spectacle once in a while.

Having said that... the more I think about my guess is 25-30K at the Rogers Centre. Lets call it 5K to see Beckham....if he's still with the team.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Danger - where were your tickets? Just wondering if this is directed at folks that were spending big $$$ on tix.
    I had three together in 225. Not big bucks at all. After we hung up I was wondering the same thing, but then again, I did have an exchange over several emails with my rep about why I will not renew (again, the pricing model being totally out of whack with the product on the pitch) so maybe that prompted it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got a call from Ben. Not nearly as exciting as getting a call from Aron.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a call from Geico, telling me I was paying too much for car insurance.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else get a call from this guy? Creepy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Wow... I wonder how many calls like that he has to make? I can't see him enjoying hearing people complain about why they didnt renew.

Can you imagine Preki having to do this? LOL

HAHAHAHA i bet when he read the contract that said "other duties as assigned" he never imagined it would be flogging tickets!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    Wow. The numbers must be way way down.

Emails for our seat relocation is also a chance to buy another ticket. Honeymoon is over boys. Expect 15,000 per game next year.
    +1. Looks like 5 years of incompetence are seriously catching up with the club. There needs to be some major changes quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This organization just puts the cart wayyyyy before the horse.

A rational strategy is to build loyalty over a period of years and then introduce price increases once the demand for your product is less elastic. For the leafs, they have decades of good will to fall back on. For the raptors, at the very least it's a premium product and at least initially their results and their prices ramped up at the same time (even still, they have hit the wall with bad results and reduced ticket demand).

When it comes to TFC, raising prices is near-sighted. It looks like short-term financial goals were stated first and then someone started to work backwards. The long run effects of this kinds of pricing policy are terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People said we'll be getting ~15000 per game in the beginning of this year too. We'll be fine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    People said we'll be getting ~15000 per game in the beginning of this year too. We'll be fine
    yeah i agree,
    im sure they wont have 100 percent, prob 80 or higher
    i dont doubt that mlse is po'd they dont have what they used to, but thats on them

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    But that is essentially what the crowds were this year. Despite whatever bs number TFC FO wanted to post as the attendance for most games.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 11-13-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    But that is essentially what the crowds were this year. Despite whatever bs number TFC FO wanted to post as the attendance for most games.
    I was going to post something along these lines.

What was our "real" buts in seats number this year as opposed to paid attendance? Because one has to figure eventually season tickets will drift towards that number as opposed to sit where they are now with plenty of paid but absent SSH's.

But regardless they have incentive to inflate the numbers. I bet FCD "averages" 18k per game

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care what TFC say the attendance numbers are. If they want to puff their chest out publicly, that's their prerogative.

All that matters is that "real" attendance is clearly down, and they privately know it. As a fan, that's all that matters to me, because it means people are voting with their wallets. Hopefully that recelibrates MLSE's priorities on what is necessary to try and bring casual fans back. I think it already is, to an extent.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while i do think attendance is suffering and MLSE/MLS is messing with the numbers i dont necessarily believe that we were down to 15k regularly this year (i too went to every game)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you think about it...great winter is calling, but lets be honest, most of us are not unhappy about the direction of team anymore and the things happening on the pitch, most of us are unhappy with the prices we are paying for this. Think about the sponsorship income that BMO pays for naming rights and kit sponsorship. That represents about 60-70% of what Toronto FC paid for players salaries this year (BMO Field pays $4-5mil, TFC total player salaries paid was $6.5 million). There is absolutely no reason they should be eye gauging us on prices especially when they make a killing of concessions and merchandise.

If someone does get a call from Winter tell him Winter what your tickets cost in your first year and then tell him what they cost now. If it was me, I'd be talking about the supporters section in that in 5 years, the prices have gone from $200 to $361...that's an 80% increase during this time period. Has the Canadian economy grown 80% during the same amount? NOT even close

I bet you Winter is sick and tired about hearing about the prices
    Let me guess, you didn't major in economics? LOL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while i do think attendance is suffering and MLSE/MLS is messing with the numbers i dont necessarily believe that we were down to 15k regularly this year (i too went to every game)
    I doubt it as well. It looked near capacity but definitely not as full. Given that there isn't the same "Carlsberg Patio" of previous years, there aren't as many people in the patio and most should be in their seats and yet it did not appear so. I figure the average attendance (excluding CCL) was in the high teens, 19k or so. Maybe 20k.

Regardless, what is definitely true is that the "scarcity" of the ticket has been eliminated. And that is really the most damaging thing to the team. Not whether 15k or 19k people are physically attending games. The team would have to be shamelessly greedy and stupid to try a ticket hike in those circumstances. But I bet you ticket price hikes are worked into the long-term projection which really puts the business unit in a pickle.

Truth is, they did it to themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I doubt it as well. It looked near capacity but definitely not as full. Given that there isn't the same "Carlsberg Patio" of previous years, there aren't as many people in the patio and most should be in their seats and yet it did not appear so. I figure the average attendance (excluding CCL) was in the high teens, 19k or so. Maybe 20k.

Regardless, what is definitely true is that the "scarcity" of the ticket has been eliminated. And that is really the most damaging thing to the team. Not whether 15k or 19k people are physically attending games. The team would have to be shamelessly greedy and stupid to try a ticket hike in those circumstances. But I bet you ticket price hikes are worked into the long-term projection which really puts the business unit in a pickle.

I had half pack seats in the north end, and pretty much every game there were at least 500 people under the north stand during gameplay (either standing at the railing, or getting food or chatting in the "beer garden" in front of the food building). This might be an underestimation too. I can imagine that there were at least the same amount under the east and west stands (if not way more) getting food, beer, or going to the bathroom. That adds anywhere from 1000 (low end) to 2500 (high end) people at any one time not actually in their seats.

That said, there were also a tonne of seats in the north end that never had anyone come close to them, so there had to be at least 200 or so unsold tickets most games.

Football is a tough sell to keep butts in seats at all times in Toronto IMO. A lot of people go to sporting events as a fun thing to do with friends and, sadly, not to watch the actual game the entire time. Or it's about a suit bringing someone they are wining and dining and they only watch the game for a brief stint (see the platinum seats in the ACC for a bunch of the Leafs' games, most of the time after the first they are empty). The fact that the facilities (bathrooms and food/drink providers) at BMO are less than stellar and, as such, overload them at halftime makes it even easier for the "fairweather" fans and suits to simply not be in their seats during the game. Adding the TVs/announcers in the concourse just adds to that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

this we can definitely agree on, only way to solve that is to a) start winning and b) make the tickets a reasonable price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this we can definitely agree on, only way to solve that is to a) start winning and b) make the tickets a reasonable price
    +100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Let me guess, you didn't major in economics? LOL
    business commerce in sports administration