Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CONCACAF CL Quarterfinal Pre-Match Thread

Predictions? I say we beat Los Angeles 3-1 on a brace from Koevermans, and a nice cross from Plata, who totally re-signed with us.

The ref will call a bunch of questionable fouls, though, and the penalty he awards to Landycakes will be BS. I won't be able to get over how much their players were flopping around, too. CONCACAF refs once again showing how bunk they are.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 11-08-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be a long 4 months....
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's safe to say that this thread will break the record for the longest pre-game thread ever, LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with four months to go, I still don't think this will break any of the DeRo is shite thread records lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think it will. It will go crazy once we are closer. Even once we know who we are playing it will go crazy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Even with four months to go, I still don't think this will break any of the DeRo is shite thread records lol.
    "D*R*" has been added to the mods bannable words list.....be careful (I kidd, I kidd)

I think this thread does have great potential and should start heating up once our opponent announced and then as players are signed or re-signed.
    Last edited by Ageroo; 11-04-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May not become the longest thread in content, but surely the longest in time span? Or course, there will be a couple of other pre-game threads opened for the same game in the meantime, let's see which one will prevail.

At least the thread is early enough to include the following in my Xmas wish list: a) a fully fit DK by March; b) Frings playing full-time as a midfielder; c) a rock-solid-star CB, fully fit & integrated by March.....

EDIT and by March, I mean, by the beginning of March.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos to whoever stickied this, haha. Football isn't over until we admit it's over!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ We are in the midle of the CL season so it is not over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ We are in the midle of the CL season so it is not over.
    That's the spirit!

- Scott

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Kudos to whoever stickied this, haha. Football isn't over until we admit it's over!

- Scott
    I'm the "guilty" party . I lol'd when I first saw it, but then thought why not discuss it, we now have something to look forward to! It surely will be our longest pre-match thread ever, with player movements during the thread!

Thanks for starting it.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-04-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lineups anyone?

--------------------Frei-------------------
    Eckersley---Henry--New CB---Morgan
    -------------JDG-------Frings------------
    Johnson---------New AM-----------Plata
    ---------------Koevermans--------------

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Lineups anyone?

--------------------Frei-------------------
    Eckersley---Henry--New CB---Morgan
    -------------JDG-------Frings------------
    Johnson---------New AM-----------Plata
    ---------------Koevermans--------------
    Put Avila in the mid and take out Henry in favour of Cann or a new CB.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im gonna wait til Jan before i contribute a line up, dont think the starting 11 will change too much but theres a couple of positions i dont wanna gamble on (CB)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hope we can get some friendlies lined up for JAN- FEB......an at this point i think its useless to head over to europe or anything like that.....

If we are playing at the ROGERS CENTER....its best to plays some games there prior to the QUarter_finals!....

???????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, it's entirely too soon to predict lineups, but what the hell...

---------------Frei---------------

Eckersley--Williams--Cann--Morgan

------DeGuzman-----Frings--------

---------------Avila---------------

Johnson----------------------Plata

------------Koevermans-----------

Bench: Kocic, Soolsma, Dunfield, Marosevic, Stinson, Henry, Harden
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 11-04-2011 at 03:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is avila still cup tied for ccl?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Is avila still cup tied for ccl?
    No, he'll be avilable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we know if all yellow cards are wiped clean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cards will be wiped clean. And Yohan is correct, Avila will become available.

Questions remain: Will Cann / Dicoy be fit? How will our roster look in March?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Avila will become available.
    Are you sure?

The most recent regulations posted on the CONCACAF site clearly note on page 15:

5.3 Once having been properly inscribed on a Roster List for one Team, in any Phase, a player may not be inscribed on the Roster List for any other Team in the CCL in the same season of competition, in any Phase.

Has something changed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Now I'm not so sure. The only thing I've heard from commentators is that Avila is good to go. But that post changes everything...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Put Avila in the mid and take out Henry in favour of Cann or a new CB.
    The rules seem to imply that Avila will be cup tied through all stages of the CCL, although TFC has asked CONCACAF for clarification. Cann and Williams will still be in the early stages of their return, I doubt they will start March 8.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    The rules seem to imply that Avila will be cup tied through all stages of the CCL, although TFC has asked CONCACAF for clarification. Cann and Williams will still be in the early stages of their return, I doubt they will start March 8.
    I think it's pretty clear now. I made the mistake of only seeing the rule allowing a new 30 man roster list for the knockout rounds.

But there in 5.4 black and white it is clear- Avila is cup tied for the rest of this tournement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Are you sure?

The most recent regulations posted on the CONCACAF site clearly note on page 15:

5.3 Once having been properly inscribed on a Roster List for one Team, in any Phase, a player may not be inscribed on the Roster List for any other Team in the CCL in the same season of competition, in any Phase.

Has something changed?
    I believe this is the fine print. The CCL season started in March (or april) of 2011. Is March 2012 a new season? Or a continuation of last season? Remember the CCL is built around an MLS season, not a Uefa season. Plus I'd think with a 4 month layoff between games there would have to be an allowance for transfers, esp during the winter transfer period. Also if that was the case, I believe it'd have been an issue before when MLS teams have made it this far (with so much turnover, odds are at least one new player on a team in the CCL QF was picked up from a club that at least played in qualification for the tourny)
    Last edited by Waggy; 11-04-2011 at 06:26 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I believe this is the fine print. The CCL season started in March (or april) of 2011. Is March 2012 a new season? Or a continuation of last season? Remember the CCL is built around an MLS season, not a Uefa season. Plus I'd think with a 4 month layoff between games there would have to be an allowance for transfers, esp during the winter transfer period. Also if that was the case, I believe it'd have been an issue before when MLS teams have made it this far (with so much turnover, odds are at least one new player on a team in the CCL QF was picked up from a club that at least played in qualification for the tourny)
    I'm sure CCL season is group stage, then knockout stage. IE, 2011-2012 CCL.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't a new season. The rest of section 5 states that a CCL season comprises 3 phases: First (preliminary) Second (group stage) Third (Championship/knockout round).

If TFC want to throw their lawyers at it, fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe this is the fine print. The CCL season started in March (or april) of 2011. Is March 2012 a new season?
    The current season started July 26th and ends in April.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm sure CCL season is group stage, then knockout stage. IE, 2011-2012 CCL.
    I'd assume so as well, but it wouldn't make sense for rosters to not be reset after the winter transfer window then. Even the Uefa champs league allows for transfer period action, and it's 'season' isn't nearly as long, and doesn't cover any leagues offseasons. What have past MLS teams done? I don't follow non TFC MLS action close enough to know.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd assume so as well, but it wouldn't make sense for rosters to not be reset after the winter transfer window then. Even the Uefa champs league allows for transfer period action, and it's 'season' isn't nearly as long, and doesn't cover any leagues offseasons. What have past MLS teams done? I don't follow non TFC MLS action close enough to know.
    Well the UEFA CL also cup ties a player for the whole season (with certain exceptions), but it is based on them being fielded in a game, as opposed to just being placed on the roster as in the CONCACAF CL.

Section X: Player Eligibility
    http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/...4_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Both competitions allow for changes to the squad list before the knockout rounds.