Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Just a thought. Being that this is a Champs League game (not MLS), and not in BMO field, what's the policy on flares? Skydome has fireworks in it all the time....
    You made me go search it, cause no way that sounds to good to be true.
    I found this...
    Prohibited Items
    The following items are prohibited at Rogers Centre:
    Large bags and knapsacks exceeding 16in. x 16in. x 8in.; Hard-sided coolers; Alcoholic beverages; Flagpoles; Sticks (including signs attached to sticks); Offensive, political or other non-event related banners or signs; Laser pens; Pressurized air horns; Bullhorns (battery operated); Cans; Glass bottles; Plastic bottles larger than 600ml; Projectiles that can cause injury or disruption of a game or event; Beach balls or other inflatable objects; Brooms; Fireworks, firearms or other weapons; Frisbees; Knives; and Squirt guns.
    For some concerts and specialty events, prohibited items may also include recording devices and professional cameras.
    Alcohol, drugs and weapons will be seized.
    ** Rogers Centre has the authority to prohibit any other item/s deemed to be a security or health and safety risk.
    http://www.rogerscentre.com/inaround...s_policies.jsp

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. technically, no tifos allowed then
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives' report:

CARSON, Calif. –Fresh off one of the most successful seasons, the Los Angeles Galaxy returned to the practice field amid a steady downpour at the Home Depot Center.
    Missing several pieces like Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane (both on loan), Omar Gonzalez (injury) and Juninho (joined Sao Paulo) the club returned to the training ground in preparation for their CONCACAF Champions League matches against Toronto FC in March.There may have be a number of faces missing on the first day of camp, but the Galaxy revealed that one member of the 2011 MLS Cup Champion side would be returning.
    Brazilian defender Leonardo is set to return to the club on an extension of his previous loan agreement from Brazilian club Sao Paulo. The Brazilian defender is still recovering from tearing his ACL and LCL in his right knee last April.
    “Leonardo will be coming back. He’ll be in this week,” said head coach Bruce Arena. “He’s getting close [to returning], he should be fully able to play in April.”
    When Leonardo returns from his injury layoff, he will likely play a key role alongside AJ DeLaGarza in 2012 with Omar Gonzalez sidelined for seven to nine months. In the offseason, the Galaxy sought to bolster their back line with a number of additions such as New Zealand International Andrew Boyens.
    A great deal of uncertainty surrounds the Galaxy defense as ten defenders are currently in preseason camp -- with Leonardo on the way shortly. Although there is a great deal of pressure for someone to step in for the MLS Defender of the Year, the Galaxy are preaching patience.
    “Everyone is going to step up, we’ve played without Omar and we had to fill in and guys had to step up,” said Dunivant. “It’s the same difference, everyone has to step up and do their role, you can’t too far out of your own position or your own role, but if everyone does their job then we’ll have someone in [that position] capable without a doubt.”
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...ning-camp.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    You made me go search it, cause no way that sounds to good to be true.
    I found this...

http://www.rogerscentre.com/inaround...s_policies.jsp
    lol. I've def come in with backpacks before. Ah well, figured it was too good to be true too

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible loan deal:

Sky Sports sources understand that LA Galaxy are in talks with Leeds over the availability of Alex Bruce.
    The defender is out of favour at Elland Road, making only one appearance for the Whites this season.
    He was sent on loan to Huddersfield where he made three starts before being recalled by Leeds boss Simon Grayson to provide cover for Tom Lees.
    English born Bruce switched international allegiance in 2011 from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland but a lack of first-team opportunities mean he has yet to force his way into the international squad.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...axy-want-Bruce

wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Br...r_born_1984%29
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“It’s going to be fantastic event,” Mariner said, though admitted that he was in favor of subjecting the Galaxy to the cold of a Canadian winter at BMO.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eason-training

They should totally have the roof open for this one. Doubt they'd ever do it, but it would be awesome if they did. Seems like the perfect compromise between the two venues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoftheDrink View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eason-training

They should totally have the roof open for this one. Doubt they'd ever do it, but it would be awesome if they did. Seems like the perfect compromise between the two venues.
    Roof can not be open, once closed for cold weather.... because of mechanical reasons it can only be open when weather is warm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a shame, any idea how warm it has to get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Roof can not be open, once closed for cold weather.... because of mechanical reasons it can only be open when weather is warm.
    Would explain why they NEVER open the dome before late april/may. I always just figured they were cheap and could get away with it. I kinda thought as long as theres no snow or ice on the roof it'd be ok? figured that's the issue with winter usage, then again what do I know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully they sign him! He's slower than his Dad is today with half the talent... He can't get a game in a terrible Leeds defence....
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently there are only singles left for this game on Ticketraper. Paul B is also reporting on the Twitter that it is very close to sold out.

Never thought I would see it, and so fast too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Apparently there are only singles left for this game on Ticketraper. Paul B is also reporting on the Twitter that it is very close to sold out.

Never thought I would see it, and so fast too.
    not to mention before seattle or LA start selling tix

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strongest

Good thing we're not playing these guys, with a name like that they can't be bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoftheDrink View Post
    That's a shame, any idea how warm it has to get?
    I think it's a good thing the roof can't be opened... Gonna be that much louder with it closed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post

Good thing we're not playing these guys, with a name like that they can't be bad.
    Yellow and black team, we know how to beat those!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yellow and black team, we know how to beat those!

? we do ? shouldn't we beat them at least twice before we make that claim.

We know how to tie them well though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCDP View Post
    I think it's a good thing the roof can't be opened... Gonna be that much louder with it closed.
    Very true, hopefully it's going to be like 1993 in there! Hasn't been very loud in there since.

Maybe they can turn the heat off and have the best of both worlds!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    ? we do ? shouldn't we beat them at least twice before we make that claim.

We know how to tie them well though.
    Based on the second half of last season, I have every confidence that we can beat the Krew, with the squad as it currently stands. At home or away.

LA will be much more of a challenge though. A lot of commentators have tagged them to win the CCL and progress to the CWC, they are one of the best teams to ever play in MLS.

If TFC can manage to beat LA twice (or win one, tie one), I can see TFC possibly winning the CCL. LA will be the toughest test so far, with the team not fully rebuilt (yet). Hopefully the club will announce soon one or two of those rumoured signings to shore up the backline and the wing. With a stronger backline, enabling Frings to play midfield, with Plata and another solid winger, and LA missing Gonzalez, I think our offense can rip apart their backline and pop a few in. Winter has built this team to score goals, and it has only been TFC's poor defense that has held them back.

Arena knows his backline will not be the same without Gonzalez. Whether he can sign someone of that caliber in the transfer window is an open question.

I'm less worried about the Mexican sides than I am about LA. TFC seems to do well against Mexican teams. JDG in particular seems to be able to read their game extremely well, and Plata's size is not an issue when dealing with them.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-26-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC can manage to beat LA twice (or win one, tie one), I can see TFC possibly winning the CCL.
    that weed you're smoking must be fantastic!!
    such optimism. are you sure you're a fan of a toronto sports team?

I'm less worried about the Mexican sides than I am about LA. TFC seems to do well against Mexican teams. JDG in particular seems to be able to read their game extremely well, and Plata's size is not an issue when dealing with them.
    the only issue with mexican teams is that they know how to play to a south american ref. lest we forget a certain game we played under preki? and the video that followed on the TFC website? that game was a disgrace, but they got the calls flopping around like fish. that's what worries me, though if we make the finals in some bizarre twist of fate im guessing they would get a half decent ref who knows how to spot a dive. no need to embarrass CONCACAF on the world stage.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    that weed you're smoking must be fantastic!!
    such optimism. are you sure you're a fan of a toronto sports team?
    Ha-ha, I did say IF.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Lately I haven't found many of the Mexican teams to be so bad at flopping. Some of them actually play quite tough. That awful game under Preki wasn't vs. a Mexican team, but I'm too lazy to check right now who we were playing.

I do admit that the reffing can kill you in CONCACAF/CCL. Hopefully Winter will help the boys to play smarter when they have a whistle-happy ref.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the LA game is winable, we have proven that against LA they have issue with how we play, and that we can tie them at our worse.

With the second half pick ups and a some new defenders we should have a real chance at beating them.

I think this is a winnable game... I'm honestly much more worried about Santos Laguna, who are near the top of the table again and finished near the top in the Apertura. They I think will be our toughest competition.

the LA matches are very winnable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA are a solid, well organized team. But I'm not sure they're great at improvising, and seem to be knocked off by teams that run at them. I think we have a good chance against them.

The Mexican teams are stronger though. Don't know how many people watched the Pumas game at BMO, but they are very fast and their ball movement very quick. We drew that game by the skin of our teeth. The CCL is still for the taking for a Mexican team in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gota feeling if Toronto can get a good result....and when the supporters put on a good atmosphere at rogers in march...and no doubt this will happen...

TFC will be a hard ticket THIS SUMMER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA seems to play for the tie on the road. They are well organized, disciplined, but boring on the road, looking to steal a goal and go home 1-0. At home they are more aggressive in the counterattacking style. I'm curious to see how they cover for the losses of Juninho and Gonzalez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have to say for the past couple of weeks, when I get a chance at work, I pop onto this thread and I get so jacked with excitement for this game. Like a kid before Christmas. I can't help but smile in anticipation. I'm just hungry to cheer our boys on. Keep up the great updates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I can't find the pre-game party thread (if there is one), is Croc Rock going to be a first come, first serve entry? I can see the place being absolutely rammed..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post

I'd rather play them than these dudes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_Eleven
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    LA seems to play for the tie on the road. They are well organized, disciplined, but boring on the road, looking to steal a goal and go home 1-0. At home they are more aggressive in the counterattacking style. I'm curious to see how they cover for the losses of Juninho and Gonzalez.
    hopefully andrew boyens and mike stephens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oy... watching Everton vs Fulham right now. Donovan is going to be a handful for Morgan
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano