Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Care to name the 3 DP's you mean and what year? Because this is just a Big Soccer rumour that got out of hand. The only time LA had 3 DP's is when MLS allowed 3 DP's
    May have been referring to Donovan's grandfathering, giving LA 2 DPs when the rest of the league could only have 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible for a team to offer "bonus incentives" to lure players? I'm talking about things like housing, cars, sponsorship deals, etc. that technically wouldn't count against the salary cap.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A.J View Post
    Is it possible for a team to offer "bonus incentives" to lure players? I'm talking about things like housing, cars, sponsorship deals, etc. that technically wouldn't count against the salary cap.
    Short answer:no
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Short answer:no
    I think TFC did this in away. look at how many of there sponsors used their players to be in their ads. Most of the time the ads were horrible.

I think it was a way for the players to earn extra cash and a show of good faith from the club.

its easy for a club to give a discount to advertisers and say pay my player x amount for an ad.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcolacci View Post
    I think TFC did this in away. look at how many of there sponsors used their players to be in their ads. Most of the time the ads were horrible.

I think it was a way for the players to earn extra cash and a show of good faith from the club.

its easy for a club to give a discount to advertisers and say pay my player x amount for an ad.
    Advertising is a specific exemption negotiated in the CBA, so are player apearances.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

March 7th is just over two weeks away and I'm fucking jacked!

Work on banners and tifo is well under way and everything should look amazing on the 7th.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post

Work on banners and tifo is well under way and everything should look amazing on the 7th.

huge.......effort/banner/support....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post

I know! Crazy eh!?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently David Beckham is coming to town

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...e-starts-with-

Calling the MLS Cup with the Galaxy “one of the most satisfying of my career,” Beckham, a trophy winner with Manchester United and Real Madrid
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-21-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    May have been referring to Donovan's grandfathering, giving LA 2 DPs when the rest of the league could only have 1.
    Yes, but at the same time we had Dero and Deguz. Hardly Becks and Donovan, but Dero and Donovan fell under the same loophole.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Yes, but at the same time we had Dero and Deguz. Hardly Becks and Donovan, but Dero and Donovan fell under the same loophole.
    Deguz was a DP. DeRo's salary was paid down with allocation money to be non-DP, he was not an exception at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many seats have been sold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I thought Donovan was making $900k at the time and was specifically exempted from the DP rule (i.e. "does not apply to Landon Donovan")? Buydowns using allocation (what we did with DeRo) take cap money away that could otherwise be used to sign players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone still looking for tickets there are some 500 level tickets showing up now. i could get 9 in a row when i just checked

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's pretty terrible man. Don't patronize MLS fans.

And if he really means it, then maybe it's time to see a doctor.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Ive Just Realized Were Playing on Turf. Fuck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krasno.pL. View Post
    So Ive Just Realized Were Playing on Turf. Fuck.
    jesus, this is what you're thinking at 4am!?
    wait a second.. i didn't even think about it till now..

fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if they are at least rolling in new turf? Or are they just playing on the jays turf? From what I saw at Jays games last year, that turf is horrible!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcolacci View Post

Players do not earn extra cash for appearances for team sponsors. It is in fact, part of their contract that they must do so (to a certain degree).

The only way players can earn extra cash is by negotiating endorsements and appearances on their own, and even then most of the time it's for a pittance. Some players get gear and equipment for example, not cash. Few players, especially those here in Canada, earn any real dollars through endorsements. 1) Hockey players own that market. 2) You have to have the profile. To be honest, only 2 players in this team's history have had any real success in this area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Does anyone know if they are at least rolling in new turf? Or are they just playing on the jays turf? From what I saw at Jays games last year, that turf is horrible!
    Winter said a few months ago that they are putting in new turf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Winter said a few months ago that they are putting in new turf.
    MLSE said in December that they would be using the same turf that was used for the June 2010 Juventus friendly. I believe that post-dates any comments Winter may (or may not) have made.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Players do not earn extra cash for appearances for team sponsors. It is in fact, part of their contract that they must do so (to a certain degree).
    8.5 of the old CBA said that players were not paid for team appearances, but
    under 8.6 appearances for sponsors paid a grand sum of $250 for a local sponsor, or $750 for a league sponsor. Not a lot of money, but it's something.

Are you saying that this was dropped in the new CBA? That's kind of hard to believe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    MLSE said in December that they would be using the same turf that was used for the June 2010 Juventus friendly. I believe that post-dates any comments Winter may (or may not) have made.
    Anselmi mentioned on Prime Time Sports the other day that they are using turf, but are adding in some sort of padding underneath the turf to make it act and feel closer to real grass.

He also said that getting grass right now, in time for the game, would be nearly impossible, because they would have to get it from the southern US - and arranging to get it over the border is apparently complicated. Take from that what you will.

We played on fake grass for a few years - I can handle it for one game, when it's to allow the team to play in a giant venue.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, on Jan 7, this was reported:

Winter said that he has checked the turf at Rogers Centre.
    "I've been there," he said. "That pitch when we were on it was not good. Now they are making the pitch better."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA lost 3-2 to New England, and they will probably be tired after playing their game the week before, looks pretty promising that we can move forward, as long as we show up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Anselmi mentioned on Prime Time Sports the other day that they are using turf, but are adding in some sort of padding underneath the turf to make it act and feel closer to real grass.

He also said that getting grass right now, in time for the game, would be nearly impossible, because they would have to get it from the southern US - and arranging to get it over the border is apparently complicated. Take from that what you will.

We played on fake grass for a few years - I can handle it for one game, when it's to allow the team to play in a giant venue.

- Scott
    well you have to understand that the US customs would have to inspect every bit... I'm mean it's grass and you have to make sure it's all legal... none of that illegal grass. Cause you know us Canadians might be trying to pull a fast one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    well you have to understand that the US customs would have to inspect every bit... I'm mean it's grass and you have to make sure it's all legal... none of that illegal grass. Cause you know us Canadians might be trying to pull a fast one.
    I wouldn't be shocked if there was a law like that in place. And it's not like they can bring in the grass months before the game.

It's no big deal. One game, then back to the friendly, grassy confines of BMO Field. And at least the trade-off is a massive packed house of people for arguably the biggest game in franchise history, to date.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    ya, on Jan 7, this was reported:

Winter said that he has checked the turf at Rogers Centre.
    "I've been there," he said. "That pitch when we were on it was not good. Now they are making the pitch better."

Yes, they are making the pitch better by laying a rubber underpadding beneath the turf.