Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Avila: Toronto Fits Me Fine

... Found this new story on TFC's website. Didn't know Avila was out of contract as of Dec 31st. Hope he is back next year.

Nice little bit of insight on Winter too.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10...o-fits-me-fine
    Last edited by denime; 10-29-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: link only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like these statements the players are making regarding the playing environment. Avila's was particularly interesting because he was specific about what he is liking about the system. Lots to do on the contract front for the FO. GIT ER DONE.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought there is an option year on avila?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ ideally, it would make extending his stay that much easier

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought:

Notice how all the negativity seemed to leave the team with the negative players?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

odd how that worked out huh

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Just a thought:

Notice how all the negativity seemed to leave the team with the negative players?
    And with certain ex-managers who were in over their heads, made various promises they couldn't or wouldn't keep; overpaid certain players or gave them excessively long contracts; etc etc. Plus the revolving door of players & coaches creating uncertainty & cliques.....

As with anything, there's always a couple of sides to every story, and the different sides can feed off each other, either in a negative or positive way.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    And with certain ex-managers who were in over their heads, made various promises they couldn't or wouldn't keep; overpaid certain players or gave them excessively long contracts; etc etc. Plus the revolving door of players & coaches creating uncertainty & cliques.....

As with anything, there's always a couple of sides to every story, and the different sides can feed off each other, either in a negative or positive way.
    There has been a distinct shift in attitude since many bodies were shipped out in the first half. This new group seems excited and energized and I haven't seen any cheapshot tweets lately.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has been a distinct shift in attitude since many bodies were shipped out in the first half. This new group seems excited and energized and I haven't seen any cheapshot tweets lately.
    Do you mean Peterson's tweets? Those were after he was traded, as were some of the other negative comments in various media. LOL, the current crew is still all under contract, or hoping to get a new one (here or elsewhere) -- let's see what they have to say after they leave (if any of them do leave). I remember various positive comments from players under contract last year, at least near the beginning of Preki's reign...

Don't get me wrong -- I have absolutely loved the lack of drama this season, especially later in the season, and especially compared with previous years. It makes life boring for the journalists, and for anyone looking for a quick fix of juicy gossip (and endless discussion) on the boards -- but it makes for better soccer in the long run. It's obviously not something that depends on the players alone -- it starts with the way the coaches carry themselves, to the players they select, to the way they're expected to act on & off the field, to the way everyone interacts with the media.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peterson's tweets were and continue to be indicative of the lowest level of character. He slags Toronto and TFC at every opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peterson's tweets were and continue to be indicative of the lowest level of character. He slags Toronto and TFC at every opportunity.
    Yeah man.

Hell hath no fury like a player scorned.

Oh well, at least we know his true nature now, and we miss him all the less for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno about the "continue to be" -- I just checked. His last few tweets that are at all related to TFC:

@TorontoFCasn good kid and player..hope he can come back strong and build on 2010..great academy up there 12:48 AM Oct 27th

Man Koevermans can't stop scoring..on fire 2:31 PM Oct 22nd

@LukeWileman is the best announcer in the league.makes the game enjoyable to watch.Jason devos on the other hand #sonegative #getoverurself 2:15 PM Oct 22nd

[Ha ha, Auzzy says, I can kinda agree with the last one...]

In the clubs biggest game of the year, #TFC plays their best game of the year.well done boys! @tyharden @mattgoald @MeatyTwit @JoaoPlata10 9:57 PM Oct 18th

and a bunch more positive ones about the Dallas game.

Congrats to my boy Ashtone Morgan for the ntl team call up..CMNT has a good young LB on their hands.hope he gets a chance to see the field 7:56 PM Sep 29th

etc. He seems to have gotten over the rejection...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny thing was when he was traded, I believe Peterson tweeted that he wouldn't miss anybody at TFC except a couple guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The past is dead and (hopefully) buried.

Here's to better days ahead!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss Peterson

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well, then obviously you shouldn't have put his picture in your avatar...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    The past is dead and (hopefully) buried.

Here's to better days ahead!!
    The past is not dead. It's not even past.

Also now I understand this trade better. Avila is worth a lot more than Santos, and I liked Santos.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-29-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I dunno about the "continue to be" -- I just checked. His last few tweets that are at all related to TFC:

@TorontoFCasn good kid and player..hope he can come back strong and build on 2010..great academy up there 12:48 AM Oct 27th

Man Koevermans can't stop scoring..on fire 2:31 PM Oct 22nd

@LukeWileman is the best announcer in the league.makes the game enjoyable to watch.Jason devos on the other hand #sonegative #getoverurself 2:15 PM Oct 22nd

[Ha ha, Auzzy says, I can kinda agree with the last one...]

In the clubs biggest game of the year, #TFC plays their best game of the year.well done boys! @tyharden @mattgoald @MeatyTwit @JoaoPlata10 9:57 PM Oct 18th

and a bunch more positive ones about the Dallas game.

Congrats to my boy Ashtone Morgan for the ntl team call up..CMNT has a good young LB on their hands.hope he gets a chance to see the field 7:56 PM Sep 29th

etc. He seems to have gotten over the rejection...
    I suspect Peterson's initial tweets might have just been immaturity and petulence in the immediate wake of being traded after a less than stellar stay in Toronto (he was terrible). It seems he has gotten over it as time has gone on.

Someone hurts you - you reflexively want to hurt them back. That kind of thing.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I think we've all posted things on the internet in the heat of the moment that we regret later so I forgive him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    well, I think we've all posted things on the internet in the heat of the moment that we regret later so I forgive him.
    At the same time, it was highly unprofessional. So while I might understand why he did it, it isn't really excusable.

I guess I "forgive" him, but I never really cared about it in the first place. A lousy former player takes immature shots at the team after being traded? Be still my beating heart.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad Avila likes it here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think any player who played for TFC this past season has a god given right to slag the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I think any player who played for TFC this past season has a god given right to slag the club.
    Do you enjoy being miserable?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't you annouce a while ago that you were done with this place, or am I thinking of someone else?

If not, think of it as a suggestion.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you lost interest in TFC. Why are you here? Obviously to troll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was talking to avila and marosevic for a few minutes on saturday; they were both super cool.

avila confirmed that he is out of contract at the end of the year, but sounded fairly sure that he'd be here next season. he said he was having fun here and mentioned that the lockeroom has a great atmosphere, which was cool because i didn't ask him specifically about that, he just threw that out about his general impressions of tfc so far. he also said that danny k is a really nice guy. i told him that i thought he had slotted into his role here really well, and he was super humble and just said something like, i try to play the best that i can.

peri told me he had two option years and that he was hoping to be here next season as well.