Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually think that this is possible without tearing up the existing deal. Which I thought was the problem. His option for 2012 is not for DP money. I don't get how DC do an "extension" and Dero becomes a DP before 2013.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't actually think that this is possible without tearing up the existing deal. Which I thought was the problem. His option for 2012 is not for DP money. I don't get how DC do an "extension" and Dero becomes a DP before 2013.
    unless it's just not using allocation money to pay down DeRo's contract so DeRo gets DP label, but at his current salary
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ As mentioned above, I think it's somewhat more common to re-negotiate before the last year of a deal, especially if it's an option year. After all, DeRo would be free to entertain offers from other clubs by mid-season otherwise. It was the same situation with Nana: in that case, the club wanted to re-negotiate before the final year of his deal, but Nana didn't want to commit longer-term in that case. However, that situation tells me that the league is more likely to allow re-negotiation before the final (option) year of a deal. I've heard similar from other players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    unless it's just not using allocation money to pay down DeRo's contract so DeRo gets DP label, but at his current salary
    This has been discussed. I don't think this is allowed. The 2010 salary thread had endless discussion of the rules around this, people thought we were doing it for Dero.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ^ As mentioned above, I think it's somewhat more common to re-negotiate before the last year of a deal, especially if it's an option year.
    I totally get it with a younger player who has options. Not sure I see what Dero's options will be away from MLS at age 35.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We shall see, I guess!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This has been discussed. I don't think this is allowed. The 2010 salary thread had endless discussion of the rules around this, people thought we were doing it for Dero.

I totally get it with a younger player who has options. Not sure I see what Dero's options will be away from MLS at age 35.
    There was interest from Europe at the start of the year. Now that he is the Golden Boot winner that interest will likely solidify even more. And if he wins MVP it will likely add a premium to offers. If you had asked me in August where I thought Dwayne would play next, I would have said overseas. But if DC comes in with an attractive offer he may opt to stay in the US for less because it is more comfortable for his family.

By the way he is 33.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 10-24-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was he going to the Middle East?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    There was interest from Europe at the start of the year.

By the way he is 33.
    I meant, to assess the degree of leverage he has with respect to his situation in DC, ie what is the likelihood that they will renegotiate...you have to assess what would the interest in him be in 2013, when his existing contract expires and he is almost 35....

btw I hope he goes to Europe. I would be seriously curious to see what he could do. His performance these last two years, in bad situations in Toronto and DC, has been unbelievable. But Dero has to play a featured role to be effective, and I'm not sure he can get that with a club worth going to over there....
    Last edited by ensco; 10-24-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Mikey

Good for Dero, a decent shout for League MVP, golden boot, even after being stabbed in the back by the MLSE fanboys in his hometown. Its Good to see someone who actually walks the walk to come out ahead of all the MLSE bullshit merchants who just talk the talk at renewals time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What a better way to finish the year than talk about a player that demanded a trade

From a contract front, if you take the story at face value, there is an interesting negotiation apparently being undertaken.

DeRo - wants security and at 33 (turning 34 just a few games into next season) it's a good move for him to seek it. Schelotto won the MVP in 2008 at 35. One season removed from that award, he was released from Columbus and went through the rentry draft untouched

DC United - obviously have their interests set on seeing DeRosario continue to contribute. Secondly, it's an offseason where they missed the playoffs. Selling tickets is the name of the game and you need to give the fans something to hold on to.

MLS - backed into a corner, need to take a stand on the contract front but also probably wish that Dwayne didn't have a stand out year. His performance needs to be acknowledged.

If you take all of that and understand that the max league salary for ANY player is $335k, you understand that DeRo only counted $335k against the cap.

The rest of his salary was being picked up through allocation money, which is essentially the league's money.

If DC are offering to "pay the balance of his deal that isn’t covered by the league" , that could be the win in this for all sides. DeRo's take home pay may not rise but with additional years he gets security and if they give the DP tag to him he also gets that coveted name plate he has been looking for.

DC gets a player and a face to sell tickets. Signing DeRo doesn't make them any better but it doesn't make them worse... unless you believe in Opportunity Cost and if signing him prevents them some signing someone better... but I digress. It is a win for DC.

The League benefits in that they are no longer ponying up Allocation Money to extend his salary beyond the non-DP league max. Perhaps they could use this as a precedent moving forward to insist that if clubs want to make salary concessions/exceptions on MLS bred players (like a Casey, or Cunningham, or Le Toux), then it is up to the team to pay it. They can save the Allocations for DPs that fit with their plan (big name players they intended to bring over for marketing purposes). They win a little here too.

As for TFC, I'd put our #14 up against DC's #14 any day. I'd also put our Captain up against anything DeRo ever did for the TEAM as holder of that armband.
    Last edited by Pookie; 10-24-2011 at 07:13 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    What a better way to finish the year than talk about a player that demanded a trade

As for TFC, I'd put our #14 up against DC's #14 any day. I'd also put our Captain up against anything DeRo ever did for the TEAM as holder of that armband.
    Just going to comment on these parts of your post. The rest was really well done but these two parts I don't understand.
    The First Paragraph- why can't people talk about an MLS player in the MLS news section? Is that not what it is here for?

The Second Paragraph- Why bring TFC in to this discussion like that? I don't understand why there is a constant need for trolling. You don't like the man fine I don't either but while he was here, he was our best striker until he left. At the very least respect what he did. Dero will always have alittle (and I mean little) part of my heart for his role in the Miracle in Montreal

Haters, let it go!! The man wanted out. At least he didn't pack it in and play shitty the rest of his time here

Lovers, let it go!!! Dude has moved on to what he believes is better.

Love him or hate him, the boy can play. If it wasn't for the salary cap, I would make him one of the highest paid players but it wouldn't happen at TFC. He just doesn't fit the system

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    The league was pretty explicit that they wouldn't be re-opening DeRo's contract. There are quotes that are easy to find from earlier in the season.

And I believe Houston at one point inquired about doing a DP contract and was essentially told the same thing by the league.

The league though, over this season, may have relented on that issue. Initially the DP wasn't to be used on guys like DeRo or a Beckerman or a Stu Holden for example.
    This is what I was getting at. DC don't say anything explicit about a DP contract in that article - they just state the obvious (that they'd like to extend him).

Given what the league has had to say about this before, I'll be interested to see what happens. Beckerman and Holden are a lot younger than DeRo, and that might be why the league saw them differently.

I'm ambivalent on how much I'd like to see him get paid - it doesn't matter to me. I'm not concerned with feeling some token vindication as a jilted TFC fan, by having him not get a fat DP contract. It'll just be interesting to see how this unfolds.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE - new and imporved with fully Egged face!

. . . tear this leage apart.
    best TFC player ever.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    MLSE - new and imporved with fully Egged face!

. . . tear this leage apart.
    best TFC player ever.
    I'd guess that you could count on one hand the number of people at MLSE that wish we still had dero.

Give him the money...give him the dp tag and give him the MVP and golden boot.

He deserves it all.

But that has nothing to do with whether or not TFC miss him.

I think dc would be making a mistake to make him a dp unless it's purely a cap management move as many here have suggested. If it costs less against the cap to call him a dp then it makes sense. Otherwise...

Congrats dero...good luck but also...good riddance.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    Just going to comment on these parts of your post. The rest was really well done but these two parts I don't understand.
    The First Paragraph- why can't people talk about an MLS player in the MLS news section? Is that not what it is here for?

The Second Paragraph- Why bring TFC in to this discussion like that? I don't understand why there is a constant need for trolling. You don't like the man fine I don't either but while he was here, he was our best striker until he left. At the very least respect what he did. Dero will always have alittle (and I mean little) part of my heart for his role in the Miracle in Montreal
    First paragraph, I guess I need a better writer to open the post.

Second referenced paragraph it was directed at the post directly above mine that referenced TFC/MLSE fanboys stabbing him in the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any case, I don't think the developments of DeRo's contract situation in DC should reflect negatively on TFC management.

Prior to the season, Winter and Mariner made it clear that they had contacted the league regarding the possibility of renegotiating DeRo's salary mid term, with the intent to offer DeRo a raise, despite not being contractually obligated to do so. A MLS official subsequently made it abuntantly clear that the league was not willing to void DeRo's existing contract for the second time in his career.

TFC management was left in a precarious position. The only alternative to appease DeRo financially was to supplement his existing salary by way of allocation, which would have granted him a total salary of approximately 600K, and tied up a considerable amount of cap space in the process. DeRo had demanded a DP contract in excess of one million dollars, which wasn't economically feasible due to the circumstances, and then he proceeded to demand a trade.

I will also be curious to watch this situation unfold given the manner in which MLS has intervened in the past.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 10-24-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was interest from Europe at the start of the year. Now that he is the Golden Boot winner that interest will likely solidify even more. And if he wins MVP it will likely add a premium to offers. If you had asked me in August where I thought Dwayne would play next, I would have said overseas. But if DC comes in with an attractive offer he may opt to stay in the US for less because it is more comfortable for his family.

By the way he is 33.
    DC may have an edge due to contract length. Lots of clubs overseas will not sign players of his age into contracts longer than one year. While success in the MLS success is getting more credibility, he is also unproven in Europe.

Of course, total value of the package might still make a one year contract win out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    as long as TFC isn't footing the bill, I want DeRo paid very, very, well... in fact as much as possible, hopefully so much that DC can't afford any other DPs. Bring on the stacks of gold!
    Absolutely. Have some other team shackled by his biggest payday ever since he didn't work out here. As for his performance I wish he'd do a 180 and be a better player in Canada red than whatever club shirt he'll be wearing.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'd guess that you could count on one hand the number of people at MLSE that wish we still had dero.
    Hopefully that one hand has dozens of fingers on it. Last DeRo event for the Canada vs St Lucia game had dozens of MLSE and TFC staff and players on hand wishing him well and mentioning they wished he was still here. The only segment of MLSE that was absent was the executive level, so my guess is in that area you might be right, they probably don't like him.

MLSE staff in particular miss him, and they've told me. He was a visible star on a team that needed it. He was always willing to help their marketing efforts. Never complained. Always stepped up, especially when other players would not. He showed commitment to this team. MLSE used him to the max...and then management decided not to reward neither the product on the pitch, nor the commitment to the team. And as we all now know, many fans have done the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE used him to the max...and then management decided not to reward neither the product on the pitch, nor the commitment to the team.
    Based on the sequence of events that transpired leading up to DeRo's request to be traded, I don't think this is an accurate statement.

You have stated several times that Winter was intent on keeping DeRo, and MLS was quite clear regarding it's stance towards renegotiating DeRo's contract mid term.

Many of us were disappointed that DeRo did not remain with the club, but by all accounts, the end result was his preference, not that of TFC management.

DeRo has since played out his contract with two different clubs for the exact same salary that he earned with TFC. If MLS decides to suddenly change it's position regarding DeRo's contract in the off season, then that is certainly not the fault of TFC management.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Based on the sequence of events that transpired leading up to DeRo's request to be traded, I don't think this is an accurate statement.

You have stated several times that Winter was intent on keeping DeRo, and MLS was quite clear regarding it's stance towards renegotiating DeRo's contract mid term.

Many of us were disappointed that DeRo did not remain with the club, but by all accounts, the end result was his preference, not that of TFC management.

DeRo has since played out his contract with two different clubs for the exact same salary that he earned with TFC. If MLS decides to suddenly change it's position regarding DeRo's contract in the off season, then that is certainly not the fault of TFC management.
    The contract renegotiation was not nixed by MLS. I know that's the new rationalization for TFC, but it is simply not true. The reason I know this? They did offer a new contract to DeRo. How could they offer a new contract if they weren't "allowed" to change the existing one?

And his preference was to stay with the team. Let's not rewrite history. That was then and continues to be now the truth.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not looking for a fight, but I wonder what opportunities he has overseas and especially if they are first team opportunities? Just trying to think what first division league he could succeed in.

Or is it a negotiation ploy to get the money out of DC?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or is it a negotiation ploy to get the money out of DC?
    Nope, interest came well before he went to DC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perhaps you are both correct but are missing some detail in your statements.

The league would not allow the team to open up the contract to the satisfaction of either party.

DeRo, looking for DP tag at one point and a comparable salary to JDG wasn't going to get it. TFC was open to keeping him and looked to pony up a little more cash and term. MLS not willing to go beyond that to get to DeRo's happy place.

In the end there was no deal to be made.

While we are focused on truth, let's not forget DeRo's comments as recently as last week on Soccer Central.

On being traded twice, " NY caught me by surprise. Toronto was the only situation I had control over"

He asked to be traded. Period. Counter argument of "can you blame him?" aside, he didn't want to play here anymore. Not for new coaches, not for new GM, not for current players, not for pride of crest... He was done and wanted out. There is no way to spin that and there really doesn't need to be. Both sides are better off.

He is trying to parlay his success this year into a new deal with either a longer term and/or a higher salary. I wish him well in that regard. From a competitive standpoint, I hope he takes DC to the cleaners and they are out of money for when the transfer window opens.
    Last edited by Pookie; 10-24-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nope, interest came well before he went to DC.
    Someone other than Celtic?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He asked to be traded. Period. Counter argument of "can you blame him?" aside, he didn't want to play here anymore. Not for new coaches, not for new GM, not for current players, not for pride of crest... He was done and wanted out. There is no way to spin that and there really doesn't need to be. Both sides are better off.
    You are acting like that was a revelation. It was months ago it was already revealed that he gave TFC an ultimatum to resolve the contract issue or trade him. He didn't ask to be traded as much as he asked the situation to end. The choice was in TFC's hands. So your portrayal of the trade is still inaccurate because you leave out material information.

I'd disagree with the better off part as well. But that's another discussion.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 10-24-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone other than Celtic?
    Yes. Although the interest from Celtic did remain. I have not heard much since NY though. I don't know where Celtic stands with their interest right now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You are acting like that was a revelation. It was months ago it was already revealed that he gave TFC an ultimatum to resolve the contract issue or trade him. He didn't ask to be traded as much as he asked the situation to end. The choice was in TFC's hands. So your portrayal of the trade is still inaccurate because you leave out material information.
    Material information, like the fact that the situation he wanted to end was the situation he created?

He did sign his name to a contract and he did play out the terms of that contract with teams other than the one he signed for didn't he?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Material information, like the fact that the situation he wanted to end was the situation he created?

He did sign his name to a contract and he did play out the terms of that contract with teams other than the one he signed for didn't he?
    There it is. The team had no part in this of course. The same old TFC apologies.

But this is a circle we've revisited many times. It's just clear that the team is blameless and the player is wholly to blame. It's the same pattern of not holding this team accountable that gets to me because all it does is allow for more of the same. And the same ignoring of the facts. And people wonder why I am disallusioned.

OK, we're pretty much done here. Nothing new to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interest is one thing - hell I could get Inter to return my calls and call it 'interest'.

Forgetting the cup of coffee he had over there a lifetime ago, there has been ZERO evidence that ANY euro club has ever offered a contract to the player. ZERO. Celtic was a jog on the pitch to keep Freddy company, nothing more.

I find it hard to believe that the player woulndn't be screaming about these so called offers if they in fact existed. I hope he get's his DP tag and a $501k salary (or whatever the min is). Then we can all sit back and watch him start bitching about how crappy his DP contract is.