Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DC United to sign DeRo as DP

DC United are going to sign DeRo's cheque:

D.C. United plans to offer a contract extension to Dwayne De Rosario, who was acquired from the New York Red Bulls in a midseason trade and is now a candidate to win MLS’ MVP award despite his team missing the playoffs, the Washington Post reports.
    “We would like to sit down with Dwayne and his representative and discuss an extension,” United general manager Dave Kasper told The Post. The team holds an option for next season on De Rosario’s contact but wants to sign him to a long-term deal.
    De Rosario was paid about $500,000 this season, half of which was paid by Toronto FC, for whom he played last season and for the first few weeks of this one. The United would sign De Rosario as a Designated Player and pay the balance of his deal that isn’t covered by the league (about $350,000), The Post reports.
    “It’s huge,” De Rosario said on potentially re-signing with United. “That’s what I always wanted, especially as a family guy, I have to do what’s right not only for me, but for my family as well.
    Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-10-23/united-eyes-long-term-deal-with-dwayne-de-rosario

* United aren't saying how much DeRo will get paid. $500k? $600k? $100 billion? It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I would guess less than $1 million.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-23-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doubt he gets much more, DC United were just looking to save cap room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely wasn't worth DP money I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC United says it paid DeRosario $500,000 salary, with half of that being paid by TFC. Now DC United want to sign DeRosario to a DP contract and will only be in the hook $350,000 of that contract with the league paying the rest of his DP salary?

Is that correct? You can either have someone signed to a regular contract at $500,000 or you can pay them a DP salary and have the league split the bill and you are only on the hook for $350,000?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's almost guaranteed that he will get minimun DP money, probably for two years which is good for a player of his age.

This is more an adminstrative move than anything by the DC front office, but hopefully that will get him to STFU. Not likely though. I put the over/under for him complaining about his "undervalued DP contract" at 9 months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

couldnt care less about this guy and what hes doing now, prob shouldnt have even bothered to post up in this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    couldnt care less about this guy and what hes doing now, prob shouldnt have even bothered to post up in this thread
    Yet there's still lots of people who bother to post about ex-TFC players on other teams all the time.

I guess De Ro posts aren't allowed because he actually scored goals and stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Yet there's still lots of people who bother to post about ex-TFC players on other teams all the time.

Since when have DeRo posts not been allowed? If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably the number one discussion subject on the board this year, long after he left.

You're allowed to post threads, and Ossington is allowed to explain his objection to them if he so chooses.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly misleading thread title, OT. The article quotes DC as saying they'd like to sign him to an extension, and not much else.

I'll be interested to see what he signs for, if he does. And will the league have anything to say about it, since they ultimately sign off on all contracts. If you recall, the league FO openly objected to DeRo being made a DP when he was still in Toronto.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shakes are you out of your mind? Do not engage these people. Retreat from this powderkeg and find shelter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Good for him.
    This

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was referring to myself re bothering to post up in this thread.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he gets this I'm happy for him.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy for the guy, I hope it gets done.

The life of professional athletes is a challenging one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to him if he gets it, but I'd be surprised. That article only said that United (the united lol) WANT to sign him to a DP contract. MLS were the ones who said Dero wasn't able to be signed as a DP as recently as February. Either Dero's 2nd half changed their minds, or United hasn't asked them yet. Either way, I'll believe it when I see it

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I figure if DC United have gone public with wanting to sign him as a DP, they have already spoken to the league, and the league has relented, and will let him be a DP. (That may not be the case, however.)

I doubt he'll be paid a JDG-level salary even if he is a DP, so there is still plenty of potential for future salary disputes, as happened in Houston when he got a raise, but later was unhappy, or Toronto where he got a raise, but later was unhappy. Fair enough, he's a good player.

My personal opinion is that as long as TFC isn't footing the bill, I want DeRo paid very, very, well... in fact as much as possible, hopefully so much that DC can't afford any other DPs. Bring on the stacks of gold!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-23-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^ I figure if DC United have gone public with wanting to sign him as a DP, they have already spoken to the league, and the league has relented, and will let him be a DP. That may not be the case, however.

I doubt he'll be paid a JDG level salary even if he is a DP, so there is still plenty of potential for future salary disputes, as happened in Houston.
    Could also be trying to put public pressure on the league to approve it, or at least make the intent public enough that if MLS does still say no, Dero won't go all TFC on them and be mad at the right people (the league). But like I said, who knows. I'm sure we'll find out more soon. To me the matter of how much he's paid doesn't matter so much as the tag. I dont like that MLS would be bending their rules for United when we asked for the very same courtesy earlier this year and were denied (though I'm happier we didn't sign Dero to a DP contract. I love me some Frings on the side). If this does happen I'd be MUCH more inclined to actually believe that the league does look out for the US teams first, and the Canadian ones 2nd.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quote that I remember most clearly from the league earlier this year, was that they weren't happy with DeRo wanting to re-open his contract (again), for the 2011 season, where he was still signed to a firm contract. (Not saying that was necessarily the main thing that scuttled negotiations with TFC; just recalling what a league rep said at the time.) Note that during his time with NY & DC this year, he was playing out that contract, with the same pay as negotiated earlier with TFC. Next year is the last & option year of DeRo's contract, and there is more precedent from other players for renegotiating at that point (since he would be able to start entertaining other offers halfway through next year anyway).

There's the other issue of an MLS-based player being turned into a DP, which was previously considered a no-no. Perhaps the league is softening on that front, and there will be other cases like that? Of course, with 3 DP spots per team rather than 1 as there used to be, there's also more room for flexibility. We shall see how the league and other players respond.

It will be interesting to see what DeRo actually gets paid. This is also a way for DC to save salary cap space & allocation money. Someone asked above: in the case of a (1st or 2nd) DP, the league pays $335k of the salary, and that's how much is charged against the team's salary cap. The rest of the DP salary (whatever it may be) is paid directly by the team. Up to now, DeRo's salary had been boosted above the regular maximum pay, using allocation money, so it's a bigger hit under the team's salary limits. (Whereas with DP pay, it hits the team's pocketbook more directly, but doesn't affect the overall salary limit as much.)

Congrats to DeRo! Hopefully we won't need to be discussing DeRo so much anymore, next season.

EDIT I should say, congrats to DeRo, and DCU, if it actually works out & everyone is happy afterwards.... we shall see.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-23-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope he gets the DP money he deserves it, will go down in history as one of the best players the MLS has ever had. He has won two championhips, and that's what every player plays for, and DeRo has won two, and in both championships he was an integral part of his team's success. Moreover, along with the championships his stats speak for themselves. DeRosario a local Toronto boy who learned to play soccer right here in TO on the local pitches around this city, he is proof that even here in Canada we can create good soccer players. If he gets a DP contract then I say well deserved, because as we all know look at all the bums that were given DP money and could not live up to the money they were given and who were not worthy of shinning DeRo's shoes with their performances in this league!
    Last edited by SoccMan; 10-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Congrats to him if he gets it, but I'd be surprised. That article only said that United (the united lol) WANT to sign him to a DP contract. MLS were the ones who said Dero wasn't able to be signed as a DP as recently as February. Either Dero's 2nd half changed their minds, or United hasn't asked them yet. Either way, I'll believe it when I see it
    This continues to assume that nobody at TFC lied about MLS saying no to De Ro being a DP.

Quite frankly, I don't think they said no.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This continues to assume that nobody at TFC lied about MLS saying no to De Ro being a DP.

I can't remember anyone from TFC ever saying publicly, that the league would not allow them to sign DeRo as a DP.

I do remember a senior league official saying publicly at the time however, that DeRo should not be re-opening his contract again at that point. Again, not saying that was necessarily the deciding point in the impasse with TFC; just saying there was a direct quote from the league on that issue.

Outside of that, I don't really believe anything that anyone says about that situation, from either camp (TFC/MLSE, or DeRo & friends).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    This
    And it should be left at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were direct quotes from a vp of mls and from garber himself I believe.

He made a choice two years ago, and he came to us. No one should forget that,” said Todd Durbin, MLS V-P and the league’s contract czar. “Had he played under his existing contract, he would be a free agent today.”... “We believe that the contract that he is under is the appropriate contract for him,” Durbin said.
    http://www.thestar.com/article/92874...-captain-warns
    (Cathal Kelly warning. I fucking hate linking that guy, but it's what I could find quickly. And I did not edit the quotes, they come ending in comas.)

"We have made a good trade for him because we have opened our cap space to help us rebuild our team, and we got two good players back," Winter said. "Nobody is bigger than the club, and he has made his own choice, and we helped him.""At the end he was not happy because he was not a DP (designated player). We tried everything to get him the DP, but in the end. . ."

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=360535
    Last edited by Waggy; 10-23-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The league was pretty explicit that they wouldn't be re-opening DeRo's contract. There are quotes that are easy to find from earlier in the season.

And I believe Houston at one point inquired about doing a DP contract and was essentially told the same thing by the league.

The league though, over this season, may have relented on that issue. Initially the DP wasn't to be used on guys like DeRo or a Beckerman or a Stu Holden for example.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right move for DC, brings his cap hit down from $500k next season to $335k. Right move for DeRo, finally gets that DP tag he so covets.

He deserves it. The guy would've been MVP if his team made the playoffs. He's already making DP money, 16 goals 12 assists shows he's still got it. For that reason I think the league will allow it. Plus I don't think he's going to get that much of a pay raise, 700k max?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally am happy for the man. He is one of the best Canadian players ever. No one can argue that. I'm tired of all the dero bashing and loving. Simply put, either him or the team or both didn't see him working out at TFC. Both parties have moved on. He had a hell of a season. DPs shouldn't just be for "international" stars. The league should reward excellent play by the homegrown players. Does it suck that the league "might" not have accepted it from us? Yes and no. We wouldn't have got both DK and Frings, who in my opinion fit into the system abit better than Dero did.

Why can't we just be happy that the league might potentially have two Canadian DPs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please, let's move on.....

we've got a good core and we're finally moving in the right direction....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing...finally getting what he deserved....and eaten alive in his home town...?? Very common here unfortunately.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Eaten alive? Where do you read that? Plenty of posters here are saying, good for DeRo -- even though there is some disagreement about his situation at TFC.