Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd give it to dero based solely on his numbers.

He can mount the award in a nice case next to the jerseys of the three teams he played with this year. Lol

I really don't care if he wins it. Doesn't make me regret the trade away from tfc one bit.

He can win the MVP every year if it means tfc continue to head in the direction they've been heading the last while.

When tfc are playing in the final 8 of ccl in march dero's MVP award and the time he spent here will be an even more distant memory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero is def the MVP this year, don't see any real competition. Good for him. It's unfortunate in all sports there's no way to quantify intagibles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    We can stop talking about him. How can a player be the most valuable to his team when he gets traded from 2 of them in the same season and the one he ends with misses the playoffs?
    Some would argue his return is even more impressive considering he has moved clubs several times, playing with players he was unfamiliar with. Also impressive in that he scored so heavily for a team that was not a play off team. I never even mentioned his assists which prove he is not as selfish or ball greedy as some make out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think the MVP should come from a playoff bound team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Kasey Keller? Probably the only keeper to merit real consideration this year, but I don't think Seattle would be where they are without him (and Montero clearly).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Some would argue his return is even more impressive considering he has moved clubs several times, playing with players he was unfamiliar with. Also impressive in that he scored so heavily for a team that was not a play off team. I never even mentioned his assists which prove he is not as selfish or ball greedy as some make out.
    I am finding it amusing that people are acting like Toronto didn't want him and he would not have "fit" in this system when in fact Winter did want him and what really happened was that they could not come to a contractual agreement.

The numbers he put up this year would have benefited Toronto, period. Thinking otherwise is just intentionally trying to convince yourself we didn't need him. Like the guy who gets dumped by the hot girl but then runs around telling people he never liked her...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am finding it amusing that people are acting like Toronto didn't want him and he would not have "fit" in this system when in fact Winter did want him and what really happened was that they could not come to a contractual agreement.

The numbers he put up this year would have benefited Toronto, period. Thinking otherwise is just intentionally trying to convince yourself we didn't need him. Like the guy who gets dumped by the hot girl but then runs around telling people he never liked her...
    Tend to think you're right. I think he'd be playing essentially the Plata role if he were here, with Plata as a backup. He's very good cutting into the middle off the wing. I'm not a huge fan of his and am not unhappy with the trade, but I think that's where his fit would have been.

Also not really sure why making the playoffs is a prerequisite for league MVP? I can think of lots of cases where a player was really a cut above on a weaker team and a case could easily be made of them being MVP. Charlie Adam at Blackpool last year for example.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is impressive, no question.

I'm simply talking about the nature of the award. Most Valuable Player.

Typically, it would be hard for a league to give it to a player that was deemed more valuable somewhere else by 2 teams and as others have pointed out, a player who ended up on a team that failed to make the playoffs. Sort of like the MVP of the Superbowl isn't usually the starting quarterback of the losing team.

Again, in fairness, not for a lack of trying on his part.

Just as an aside, the last 3 seasons, the MVP winner has not been the golden boot winner.

And not once in the last decade has the MVP come from a non-playoff team. 8 times it came from the team that finished First overall.

If DeRo does win it, it would be relatively unprecedented and something he could leverage with the league for a new contract... the one that he backed the league into a corner publicly over.

Speaking completely from a practical perspective and knowing the history of the award and the politics around DeRo's year, you really think he will win?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the league doesn't pick the MVP, does it? It's usually a collection of journalists that cover the league.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    But the league doesn't pick the MVP, does it? It's usually a collection of journalists that cover the league.

- Scott

I was going to ask this question. Who picks the MVP?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are actually 3 voters.

Media, MLS Players and MLS GM's/Coaches.

Each group gets a 1/3 voice.

Soccer writers have their own award. North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) Player of the Year

http://www.soccerreporters.com/2010-...ira-fc-dallas/
    Last edited by Pookie; 10-21-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    Fuck. That means Donovan and Becks as #1 and #2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo definitely deserves it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    In other words, on poor teams he decided to just do it himself, which can win games singlehandedly. But if you want to develop a strong team, De Ro must subordinate himself to the system and to his teammates (if he wants to do that) and that lowers his stats.

There's that old term "ball hog." De Ro is like that. Now, if you succeed more often than not, people praise you for it. If you fail, people use that term.
    I agree to a certain point but at the same time...

There's also that impossible argument of "what's this guy's real position?". In Houston he was pretty much always their AM, but in my opinion he's much more like a striker (but he doesn't like to be called that). So of course his numbers are going to boost when you put him in a more advanced position, regardless of what the rest of the team looks like.

It should be noted he has also won games single handedly in those teams your describing as more of a system.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not a DeRo fan but even I can see that he deserves the MVP this season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree to a certain point but at the same time...

There's also that impossible argument of "what's this guy's real position?". In Houston he was pretty much always their AM, but in my opinion he's much more like a striker (but he doesn't like to be called that). So of course his numbers are going to boost when you put him in a more advanced position, regardless of what the rest of the team looks like.

It should be noted he has also won games single handedly in those teams your describing as more of a system.

I was wondering when someone would finally mention that. The whole "ball-hog" issue has already disproven by not only his stats this year but his previous successes, and yet it keeps rearing it's head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that DeRo would have conceivably made our current group of forwards even more dangerous offensively.

Of course, his salary would have likely prevented us from acquiring Frings and Koevermans, so it's really a moot point.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 10-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It is impressive, no question.

I'm simply talking about the nature of the award. Most Valuable Player.

Typically, it would be hard for a league to give it to a player that was deemed more valuable somewhere else by 2 teams and as others have pointed out, a player who ended up on a team that failed to make the playoffs. Sort of like the MVP of the Superbowl isn't usually the starting quarterback of the losing team.

Again, in fairness, not for a lack of trying on his part.

Just as an aside, the last 3 seasons, the MVP winner has not been the golden boot winner.

And not once in the last decade has the MVP come from a non-playoff team. 8 times it came from the team that finished First overall.

If DeRo does win it, it would be relatively unprecedented and something he could leverage with the league for a new contract... the one that he backed the league into a corner publicly over.

Speaking completely from a practical perspective and knowing the history of the award and the politics around DeRo's year, you really think he will win?
    Do you guys judge an mvp award different from a best player award? Part of your argument is how can Dero win it as he was traded twice so how can he be most valuable to his teams? If the award was deemed the best player of the league award I dont think that part of your argument would hold much weight. For me they are basically the same thing but for you perhaps not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, I don't watch nearly enough 'other market' games to name a MVP...

I wish I did...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diva Ro should win it.

Still glad he's gone though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you guys judge an mvp award different from a best player award? Part of your argument is how can Dero win it as he was traded twice so how can he be most valuable to his teams? If the award was deemed the best player of the league award I dont think that part of your argument would hold much weight. For me they are basically the same thing but for you perhaps not?
    Honestly, I dontbput a lot of stock in the award anyways. Most MVP type awards go to the best player on the winning team not necessarily the best player.

If DeRo doesn't win, it doesn't make his accomplishments any less impressive.

Nor does it mean that the winner of the award is that much better.

Just trying to offer a practical perspective on this. In the last decade, the MVP has never come from a team that didn't make the playoffs.

DeRo had a better chance to win the award if DC made it. Now that they are on the outside looking in, it isnt so simple.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo, Brek Shea and Brad Davis are three MVP finalists
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Davis has the advantage.

DeRo has a shot.

Shea has the lowest chances I think.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Ro deserves it simply for being able to make positive contributions no matter what team he's on. The fact that the guy has gone through three different clubs in such a relatively short amount of time doesn't detract from his performance, if anything, it should give more weight to the argument in his favour. He's been able to succeed almost anywhere he goes.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Cash but some have made it to seem like it should detract from his performance. I can't see how people don't see how amazing the performance is given the circumstances.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Exactly. Think about all that moving around and instability the guy was facing. Going through all that would usually translate to a drop in performance, but no! He's still tied in first place for goals despite all that and placed 4th for assists.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That being said, despite the fact that it is a regular season record, I can't imagine that Houston's performance to date, especially in the playoffs, won't play a part in the decision. Which is why I give the edge to Davis, although I do believe DeRo deserves it the most. Not because I am "pro DeRo" but purely based on merit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    De Ro deserves it simply for being able to make positive contributions no matter what team he's on. The fact that the guy has gone through three different clubs in such a relatively short amount of time doesn't detract from his performance, if anything, it should give more weight to the argument in his favour. He's been able to succeed almost anywhere he goes.
    It may also suggest that he's not particularly valuable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC fans and the club certainly believe he is deserving of the award.

He had 13 goals and seven assists in 18 games with D.C. United, winning four club awards: Most Valuable Player, Fans' Choice, Golden Boot, and Goal of the Year.
    Pretty good stats for a washed up player.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IMO - MeRo for MVP based on stats.

Anyone have a list of past MVP's? Would be nice to see if they were solely based on stats or if other factors played a role. I have a feeling this is a stats heavy award.