Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocker, I guess it's because they ignore facts, reasoning, logic and personal bias in their continuous and apoplectic defense of a misguided and malformed doctrine.

Hey wait a minute....that's the OTHER guys...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Only in your own mind....

I've stated this previously. I had no problem trading De Rosario if TFC had gotten good value in return and/or had an adequate replacement in place immediately.

How some posters are trying to deny that De Rosario is still one of the best in the league amazes me.

But the anti-Dero brigade is still trying to knock him down. Its insane.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow DeRo is clearly the worst managed player of the past couple of years to read some of these posts. I'm sure this golden boot winner will be followed closely enough in the following seasons to note all and any future unjustified indignities and disrespect our Canadian All-Star suffers by his future club's management.

I wonder, though, if rooting out any and all persons on our team responsible in dealing with this possible MVP would be the best way for the progress of this club. Perhaps written apologies from all TFC management?

More important to me is that he's an MVP on Tuesday. That's the only DeRo I need to cheer for, for now.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post

I've stated this previously. I had no problem trading De Rosario if TFC had gotten good value in return and/or had an adequate replacement in place immediately.

How some posters are trying to deny that De Rosario is still one of the best in the league amazes me.

TFC should have just Tevez'd DeRo's ass?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a pretty small brigade. Most here debate upon the worth of him on our team not his output on the field. I think most here are tiring more of revisting history than rewriting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Rocker, I guess it's because they ignore facts, reasoning, logic and personal bias in their continuous and apoplectic defense of a misguided and malformed doctrine.

Oh, I thought it was the pro-DeRo crowd that could be compared to Tea Party types.. I mean, they both are a cult of personality surrounding an individual who is known not to function within a team but wants to be the star. Sarah Palin anyone?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's good value for a player:

- that makes the league max in a salary cap world
    - that has made public his desire for a DP salary in the millions
    - that has threatened to hold out in order to be shown "respect" in the form of a new contract

Excellent returns are created when there is a bidding war. When demand exceeds supply so to speak. I'm not seeing many teams lining up to load up on that kind of baggage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recall reading any posts by anybody on this forum that deny Dero is one of the best in the league.

People here have a problem with his character not his play.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I don't recall reading any posts by anybody on this forum that deny Dero is one of the best in the league.
    Then you haven't been paying attention very well.

People here have a problem with his character not his play.
    What people have a problem with is the perceived character problem based on innuendo, gossip and rumour. Nobody has bothered to stick to the facts or bothered to prove anything. In fact, what we have usually seen around these parts is the dismissal of evidence to the contrary.

I distinctly remember his stint in NY, and the subsequent trade. If you were paying attention at the time, the analysis of his game in NY was laughable and then the speculation as to reasons for the trade was almost as ridiculous, including some pulling out the whole "there must be a character problem" even though at the time it seemed like a fairly straight-forward trade. Backwards analysis now shows that it was a trade made to address some of NY's short-comings.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...yne-de-rosario

In New York, playing for the same salary he got in Toronto — $493,750 (U.S.) — he boosted the Red Bulls offensively but, as the third-highest-paid guy on the roster after designated players Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez, he became expendable as the team sought desperately-needed defensive help. Less than a month after he was sent to D.C., New York signed veteran German goalkeeper Frank Rost.
    The knock on DeRo has almost always come out of the Toronto area, usually by TFC apologists. League-wide he is appreciated pretty much everywhere in this league except here. Even in NY where he played less than a dozen games they appreciate him more than TFC fans do, and he didn't even help bring them any trophies like he did here, including our first. In my opinion, the adherence to the TFC narrative by the fans here only serves to reinforce my perception that TFC fans are willing buyers of TFC propaganda even when it's proves to be untrue.

Thankfully, this year is almost over and despite the fact that TFC fans have not held this team accountable for a historically bad year and for executing probably the worst trade an MLS team has done in recent memory, there is nothing left to do but to put this year away forever in the archives and hope that not only will TFC do better in the future, but that TFC fans will also do a better job of holding this team accountable.

As for the MVP award, I will go out on a limb and predict that Dwayne DeRosario will in fact win the award tomorrow. And it will cap a career year for him.

MLS Golden Boot Winner
    MLS Best XI (for the record-breaking 6th time)
    Tied for Canada's leading scorer
    and now MLS MVP

And yet somehow TFC fans will continue to convince themselves that we were better off without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who thinks an MVP award is fucking stupid in the first place? People are acting as if it's fact not opinion.

DeRo won, btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats. Deserved.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

And yet somehow TFC fans will continue to convince themselves that we were better off without him.
    "Are" not "Were". I would argue that now that this is so very over that most people not gnashing their teeth over seeing the back of him realize that the point in time when things could be salvaged between player and team has long gone.

Congrats on tying Dale's record DeRo. Let's see you top it in February's friendly.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's very nice for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would anyone here have bet on Dero winning the MVP award in pre season? Amazing....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ motivation is a wonderful thing.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post

I love you Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well deserved from Dero. Well played.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^That's not DeRo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to DeRo!
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    "Are" not "Were". I would argue that now that this is so very over that most people not gnashing their teeth over seeing the back of him realize that the point in time when things could be salvaged between player and team has long gone.

Congrats on tying Dale's record DeRo. Let's see you top it in February's friendly.
    The fact they didn't even try to salvage it is something fans should not be happy about and yet seem to care very little, just like we barely whimpered about the pathetic record this year. And yet in NY, for a player than played a handful of games, the GM is getting much more flack from fans and the press over his trade when he arguably got more in his trade than we did. It's mindblowing.

Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Congrats to DeRo!
    this ^

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact they didn't even try to salvage it is something fans should not be happy about and yet seem to care very little, just like we barely whimpered about the pathetic record this year. And yet in NY, for a player than played a handful of games, the GM is getting much more flack from fans and the press over his trade when he arguably got more in his trade than we did. It's mindblowing.

Yes and those that live in the past...

I'm for more discussing, ranting even. Less whimpering.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Arguably got more than we did? Weakly arguable you mean. DC was willing to part with McCarty and a first round pick. At some point they said, you know, a 1st is way too much for this guy and pulled it off the table.

Without any other offers from any other club, NY pulled the trigger.

It's fair to say that a couple of things happened here.

DeRo played as if he was trying to prove a point. With his offseason, who could blame him.

Teams in the league looked at DeRo and the drama and said as good as he is, there isn't a lot of value to be had here. Maybe for a bag of soccer balls but not for anything of significance.

Going forward, the interesting question is does DeRo have any more trade value now that he has this award? Does it change anything? Would he be valued as high as Dononvan was in 2009? Or Ferreira was in 2010?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's done is done......he is not with TFC and I refuse to get into issues other than I am proud of him...

He wears his heart on his sleeve. He is a great representative of the Guyanese Canadian community(which I am a part of), a great Torontonian and a true Canadian Patriot......for all these reasons I am happy for him as this is a well deserved honour for a great season.
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    DeRo played as if he was trying to prove a point.
    Not trying to stir up anything here Pookie.......but I don't argree with this at all. Sure he had a career year, but every year and every where DeRo goes he is a game changer. A player that every manager makes sure that he isn't given time and space to operate...and yet time and time again he rips teams apart......

I think that circumstance of the off season and beginning of the year makes the "proving a point" theory a nice bit of fiction......but I still think DeRo was going to have a good season where ever he ended up. Last season with TFC he put up big numbers and was playing great....it isn't too much of a stretch to think he could capitalize on his progress of last season....my opinion though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You aren't stiring anything with me. He was always a good player. The question was always around the baggage that he brought with him.

I do think he had a little bit of an extra push wanting to put up some good numbers. Apparently, that desire to add to his stats was part of the reason he fell out of favor in NY.

Regardless, great individual campaign for him. Many aspiring players would love the numbers he put up

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Not trying to stir up anything here Pookie.......but I don't argree with this at all. Sure he had a career year, but every year and every where DeRo goes he is a game changer. A player that every manager makes sure that he isn't given time and space to operate...and yet time and time again he rips teams apart......

I think that circumstance of the off season and beginning of the year makes the "proving a point" theory a nice bit of fiction......but I still think DeRo was going to have a good season where ever he ended up. Last season with TFC he put up big numbers and was playing great....it isn't too much of a stretch to think he could capitalize on his progress of last season....my opinion though.
    The only way to play DeRo effectively is to build your team around him, which would imply a very different system than TFC has. Can it be done? For sure, and you could have a solid team for however long it takes until he retires.

What it would mean is that DeRo would be your DP, and probably your only DP. Then you would build a solid balanced cast of midrange ($150k-$200k) players to support him.

It will be interesting to see how it goes with DC, as this seems to be the path they are taking. There is always a danger in building a team around one player, but for as long as it goes well, it can be an opportunity.

TFC is taking a different tack, where the system rather than the players is primary. Ironically, this is the approach that DC took for a decade before their current coach. You find a few key players who play the system well, and supplement them with MLS plumbers who can play it decently enough.
    DeRo might have been able to fit well inside a system like this, but I think he'll be much happier with what DC is doing, as it will be more natural for him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Arguably got more than we did? Weakly arguable you mean. DC was willing to part with McCarty and a first round pick. At some point they said, you know, a 1st is way too much for this guy and pulled it off the table.

Without any other offers from any other club, NY pulled the trigger.
    I like how you ignore the fact that it has been published that DC initially offered more but NY didn't pull the trigger. Much like with the NBA, once your best offer on the table is rejected, you often offer less in subsequent negotiations. The fact that Soler and Winter didn't get maximum for DeRo is precisely because both played their hands wrong.

It's fair to say that a couple of things happened here.

DeRo played as if he was trying to prove a point. With his offseason, who could blame him.
    I guess he has been trying to prove a point for 10 years because he has been performing like a winner throughout his career. In fact, can you point to a poor year DeRo has had?

Teams in the league looked at DeRo and the drama and said as good as he is, there isn't a lot of value to be had here. Maybe for a bag of soccer balls but not for anything of significance.
    This is classic rewriting of history. I told you guys multiple teams were bidding on DeRo. You guys didn't believe me. Fine. You have no reason to. Then the media themselves admit as much that teams like NY, SJ, DC and Houston were after DeRo in the offseason. 4 teams bidding on a single player doesn't happen when teams don't perceive value. You are attributing the results of bad trading decisions as somehow a judgement of value. Winter and Soler's fuck-ups doesn't mean that the other teams didn't want DeRo, it's just that they smelled blood in the water and decided to take advantage of a couple of desperate GMs.

Going forward, the interesting question is does DeRo have any more trade value now that he has this award? Does it change anything? Would he be valued as high as Dononvan was in 2009? Or Ferreira was in 2010?
    We will just let the new contract speak for itself. The Anti-DeRo side on this board has had their arguments knocked down one after the other. The last remaining pillar remains whether teams are willing to pay more than his current contract and more than TFC was willing to offer. I said they were, now it's just a matter of making it public. And then the Anti-DeRo side can sleep tight with the only argument that they have left but has no evidenciary substance, that TFC were better off without him. Which of course is hard to believe given where we wound up in the standings. The way I see it, the only way that could have been true is if having DeRo would have landed us in 17th or 18th place instead of 16th, and I doubt many believe that. According to the significance of this award, it looks like a large segment, if not most of this league disagrees with that hypothesis.