Landon Donovan (RW/LW/ST)
    -23 games, 12 goals, 3 assists

Sebastian Le Toux (ST/LW)
    -33 games, 11 goals, 9 assists

Chris Wondolowski (ST)
    -29 games, 15 goals, 3 assists

Fredy Montero (ST)
    -29 games, 12 goals, 9 assists
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Roogsy will explode.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We can stop talking about him. How can a player be the most valuable to his team when he gets traded from 2 of them in the same season and the one he ends with misses the playoffs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can be MVP because he is the leading scorer of the league, and has the most goal + assists. It's not his fault he was on teams that weren't performing as a whole.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    We can stop talking about him. How can a player be the most valuable to his team when he gets traded from 2 of them in the same season and the one he ends with misses the playoffs?
    because he singlehandly put DC back on playoff contention? no matter how you look at it, what he did in DC and his numbers do not lie. (as much as I think Brad Davis should get the nod for 'carrying the team on his shoulder' award)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    He can be MVP because he is the leading scorer of the league, and has the most goal + assists. It's not his fault he was on teams that weren't performing as a whole.
    there is a soccer god that twat Davies shat the bed in 2nd half of the season

PS: let's not drag this into another TFC shouldn't have traded DeRo discussion

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on overall stats, it's not even close. DeRo deserves it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another guy who really crept up into MVP picture is Montero. started off really slow, but he's scoring a lot of clutch goals and putting up key assists, esp in CCL

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to get De Ro back, for the CL.

[joke]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Ro on the current team playing like the AM, would be great. Roogsy, any thoughts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, he wouldn't be playing great in CAM here, simply because we don't use a CAM every match.

Avila can slot into CAM when our triangle calls for two CDM's, but he can also play as a RW or a RAM.
    De Rosario is his own player, he doesn't "fit" anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    No, he wouldn't be playing great in CAM here, simply because we don't use a CAM every match.

Avila can slot into CAM when our triangle calls for two CDM's, but he can also play as a RW or a RAM.
    De Rosario is his own player, he doesn't "fit" anywhere.
    I agree, but he could probably play on the wing though. (If you had to "fit" him in). You're right though, he is his own player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone brought up the interview Aron Winters did about certain players being told to play in the new system and they reverted to playing the old system. I think that was all about DeRosario and he was shipped because he wouldnt adapt.

As far as MVP, something tells me Sebastien LeToux will get the nod but only because he is similar numbers to DeRosario wand his team is in the playoffs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough, I see the argument for Davis. He is a big reason Houston is in a solid playoff spot.

The trading DeRo thing is a red herring. Contract issues (Toronto) or team deficiencies (NY) have nothing to do with the abilities of the player himself. DC made it clear they had been pursuing him for some time and when they finally did land him, he had an impact. The length of time it took for him to get there is irrelevant.

There is an argument for both players. If DC had made the playoffs I think it would be difficult to argue against DeRo but with DC shitting the bed in the last couple of weeks it makes it a harder argument.

Another interesting development is that Dwayne may win both the MVP and the Golden Boot.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If DC were in the playoffs he'd be the only candidate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you define MVP?

if it's purely stats, then De Ro wins... but then using only goals and assists stats means excluding defenders and goalkeepers, who also can make MVP contributions.

I'm a little bit put off by giving an MVP of the league award to a guy traded by two teams in the same season. Obviously NY and TFC didn't think he was a "must have" most valuable guy if they traded him (if someone is most valuable, wouldn't a team hold on to him at all costs?).

Now, he certainly was the MVP of DC United, if they have a team award for that.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-20-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you could make a case for David Beckham. Lots of assists, which is what he's ultimately paid to contribute, on a team that absolutely dominated this season.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of LA, surprised no one thinks Donovan could get it. His strike rate is right there with Dero, he has the name recognition, and he plays for the best team in the league.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Speaking of LA, surprised no one thinks Donovan could get it. His strike rate is right there with Dero, he has the name recognition, and he plays for the best team in the league.
    not been getting a lot of PR (well, by Landycakes standards) this season. been eclipsed by Becks and Robbie Keane in that department

plus he's a fucking douche

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    +1. MVP = Most Valuable Pain in the A$$

Discruptive cancer in Toronto. Unwanted/needed in NY. Potted a few for a horrid DC team with minimal attacking options. All three teams may not make the playoffs.

I guess it comes down to the definition of MVP, but I will take a pass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Donovan's numbers become more impressive when you recognize that he also played nine fewer games than DeRo.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that a lot of the folks that vote place a lot of stock on Game Winning Goals which puts Shea and Montero (both at 5) ahead of DeRo (at 3). I don't agree with holding that metric as highly as the goal or two after a game winner are crucial to how the rest of the game plays out.

A little while back Ives had DeRo at 4th because of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....as an aside, somebody wake up the guy in charge of adding extra pages to internet board discussions. He's gonna be friggin busy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    +1. MVP = Most Valuable Pain in the A$$

Discruptive cancer in Toronto. Unwanted/needed in NY. Potted a few for a horrid DC team with minimal attacking options. All three teams may not make the playoffs.

I guess it comes down to the definition of MVP, but I will take a pass.
    clearly you don't pay attention to DC

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero had a great season but I don't think he can get the nod considering DCU's overall performance. The way MVP voting goes, you'll get punished if your team is slack.

I'll take Shea first (although FCD's recent form makes that a harder choice) and Rosales second. Although, I can see the Landycakes argument as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the league would give it to DeRo in a season in which he was traded twice. In NY, it came right after coming out and talking about his contract again.

Someone can rack up points all night long, but if the net result is that the rest of the team can't play a dependable system, a league like MLS --where journeymen have to perform week in and out -- is going to have a lot of teams say the trade off isn't worth it.

I don't think he would be a good AM for us. DeRo isn't inclined to play in a system that's designed to keep shape and open up the field for other players. He might score 15 goals here, too, but if the rest of the team only scores 10, bye bye playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if DC made the playoffs De Ro wins without any debate but all 3 teams he played for this season might not even make the playoffs, we'll see what happens with new york in their last game.

There are arguments to be made whether getting into the playoffs is the only barometer to measure if he's eligible to win mvp or not. I don't think that's the only measuring stick but it is a major factor, having said that i believe he should win mvp. There is alot to say about his performance after being a leper here and in new york in the same year.

He should win but he won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero produced with three different teams in one season.

He's also in his 30s and should be on the downside of his career.

MVP with no other arguments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't think the league would give it to DeRo in a season in which he was traded twice. In NY, it came right after coming out and talking about his contract again.

Someone can rack up points all night long, but if the net result is that the rest of the team can't play a dependable system, a league like MLS --where journeymen have to perform week in and out -- is going to have a lot of teams say the trade off isn't worth it.

I don't think he would be a good AM for us. DeRo isn't inclined to play in a system that's designed to keep shape and open up the field for other players. He might score 15 goals here, too, but if the rest of the team only scores 10, bye bye playoffs.
    I agree with all three points here.

One thing to add: De Ro's career shows that he has better stats on worse teams. So in San Jose and Houston, his raw numbers were lower than in Toronto and DC. I think that jives with your assessment.

In other words, on poor teams he decided to just do it himself, which can win games singlehandedly. But if you want to develop a strong team, De Ro must subordinate himself to the system and to his teammates (if he wants to do that) and that lowers his stats.

There's that old term "ball hog." De Ro is like that. Now, if you succeed more often than not, people praise you for it. If you fail, people use that term.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-20-2011 at 06:02 PM.