Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Should add Matteo Ferrari to the solid veterans/decent new signings.
    thought he was just in camp... didn't know he officially signed
    Last edited by Shway; 02-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo signs new contract with DC United. Does not appear that it a DP level contract. Rumors were that it was being bought down to below DP level with allocation. I can only imagine this is to avoid the 3rd DP payment to the other teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, he was already making DP money being bought down with allocation. Same thing now, except probably 150k or so more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No DP contract for DeRo http://www.dcunited.com/press-releas...s-new-contract

On the one hand, I feel bad for the guy. He burned (blowtorched?) his relationship with his hometown club and their fans over trying to get the DP contract, then couldn't get it anyways.

On the other hand, it was obvious from years ago he wasn't going to get a DP contract and he was deluding himself about his value in MLS and because of those delusions of grandure we got the whole MeRo saga.

I guess in conclussion, meh. Too bad DCU didn't waste a DP spot, but really just thank fuck this whole saga ended. Finally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More info - DeRo will be making more in base salary than the 2 official DPs (Boskovic and Salihi) but the DPs have some transfer fees tacked on to their comp so in actual cost to the team, the DPs are getting more. Boskovic enters an option year in July, was signed in 2010 (Salihi is new). One scenario could be that they get rid of Boskovic and make DeRo a DP if circumstances warrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can't be making the really big bucks tho, as no team would realistically have the allocation money to bring a $1 million contract down to 350k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how he can declare victory on this contract. He's still not a DP, and that's what his fight with Toronto was about. In fact, he seems to be willing to do for DC what he wasn't willing to do for his hometown team. Hope he enjoys watching 50,000 of his hometown fans cheering TFC on on TV.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't see how he can declare victory on this contract. He's still not a DP, and that's what his fight with Toronto was about. In fact, he seems to be willing to do for DC what he wasn't willing to do for his hometown team. Hope he enjoys watching 50,000 of his hometown fans cheering TFC on on TV.
    im a little confused on this too but i dont care anymore, hopefully thisll be the last i hear about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ad-joiner might be that DCU never actually promised him a DP contract, TFC on the other hand....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incorrect sir. If you go back to my multitude of posts in the many DeRo threads, I go over this point hundreds of times and people still don't get it. DeRo's issue with his contract here was over the following:

Guarantees
    Length
    Dollars

TFC did not address any of these points.

Because DeRo was already on the threshold, the discussion in public always revolved around the issue of DP, but you will notice over the off-season of 2010-2011 he did not mention DP contract once. He was resigned not to get DP status, but TFC needed to address all of the points above. They did not. He walked. Simple as that.

I guarantee you he would have played for less here than what the DC contract is giving him. But TFC chose not to offer any improvements over the current contract which was not guaranteed and option years only, offering no security for DeRo at all.

DP status doesn't pay the bills or let him play longer. It wasn't the classification that he wanted, it was the security. The victory for him is that he got what he wanted. Whether we define it as a victory for him is not his concern.

It also goes to show the ability to predict that some people around here have. They said DeRo would not get more length or more money. He got both.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 02-20-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Incorrect sir. If you go back to my multitude of posts in the many DeRo threads, I go over this point hundreds of times and people still don't get it. DeRo's issue with his contract here was over the following:

Guarantees
    Length
    Dollars

TFC did not address any of these points.

Because DeRo was already on the threshold, the discussion in public always revolved around the issue of DP, but you will notice over the off-season of 2010-2011 he did not mention DP contract once. He was resigned not to get DP status, but TFC needed to address all of the points above. They did not. He walked. Simple as that.

I guarantee you he would have played for less here than what the DC contract is giving him. But TFC chose not to offer any improvements over the current contract which was not guaranteed and option years only, offering no security for DeRo at all.

DP status doesn't pay the bills or let him play longer. It wasn't the classification that he wanted, it was the security. The victory for him is that he got what he wanted. Whether we define it as a victory for him is not his concern.

It also goes to show the ability to predict that some people around here have. They said DeRo would not get more length or more money. He got both.
    You're splitting hairs on the DP status. The top players in MLS are have DP status. The fact that he is didn't get that from DC is tacit recognition that DeRo is not in the elite of this league. He knows it and everyone knows it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    On the one hand, I feel bad for the guy. He burned (blowtorched?) his relationship with his hometown club and their fans over trying to get the DP contract, then couldn't get it anyways.
    The FO-friendly supporters perhaps, but with the less-ardent TFC fan? I don't think he has. My understanding is he continues to get interest from endorsement opportunities in the GTA area because research has showed he still has a positive exposure in Toronto in addition to increase media presence.

On the other hand, it was obvious from years ago he wasn't going to get a DP contract and he was deluding himself about his value in MLS and because of those delusions of grandure we got the whole MeRo saga.
    I am starting to think people do ignore my posts because it was already shown that DC was willing to improve on his contract and give him DP status but the terms of the contract were rejected by MLS. Delusion is an unfortunate selection of working since large segments of MLS believed he deserved it. That he finally got a DP contract without the DP tag speaks to that. So I don't know how we can define that as an "obvious" fact he should have already known. Had he not fought for his beliefs, he wouldn't have this new contract and TFC would have screwed him with his old one. His fight landed him a better contract and it vindicates him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're splitting hairs on the DP status. The top players in MLS are have DP status. The fact that he is didn't get that from DC is tacit recognition that DeRo is not in the elite of this league. He knows it and everyone knows it.

According to you, not to the professionals in this league. We are focusing on the DP tag when it is irrelevant when the real issue is whether he has been acknowledged by his peers. Through the team MVP, league MVP and golden boot win we know he already has. His bigger and better contract also speaks to that. The fact that he is making more money than some DPs and he is the highest paid player on DCU (ahead of their actual DP) itself disproves your assertion of what having a DP tag does or does not mean.

I would say it is you splitting hairs on what the DP tag means. It is merely a tool teams use on managing their payroll, it isn't the definition of a star in this league. We have taken that status and blown it up well beyond what it was originally intended for.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 02-20-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder what the actual terms of the contract are? Has that been reported or is that another "as per league policy terms of the contract will not be disclosed..."

He was paid, what, a shade under $500,000 with TFC? I'm curious to know what the price of this entire thing actually ended up being.
    Last edited by Canary10; 02-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder if it's just a case that he wanted to be the highest paid player on the team?

In DC, even without the DP status, he'll be the highest paid player. With TFC, that was never possible with JDG's contract, which is where everything went haywire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No DP status.

No million bucks++ a year.

No offers from Euro giants.

Just like we thought ALL along. Thankfully we can put this to rest now.

OK, maybe not.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you actually read any of the news articles?....DC couldn't give him DP status, or they pay a $250,000 fine ....= wasted $...SO they actually are paying him more than any of the DP's on the team,..to get around the fine!...AND future guarantees, again he is now the highest paid on the team..........what he deserves. Guess, he's really upset that some around here who shit on their HOMETOWN guy feel he's not successful getting DP status
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah someone is paying attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for Dero for getting the money he deserves, he had an amazing year last year, he really put up the numbers last season and for most of the seasons he has played in this league, deserves every dollar that he gets, he may not be categorized as a DP, but it seems DC has found a way to give him the money he deserves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    did you actually read any of the news articles?....DC couldn't give him DP status, or they pay a $250,000 fine ....= wasted $...SO they actually are paying him more than any of the DP's on the team,..to get around the fine!...AND future guarantees, again he is now the highest paid on the team..........what he deserves. Guess, he's really upset that some around here who shit on their HOMETOWN guy feel he's not successful getting DP status
    Yeah I read the whole story. DC placed real value on Hamdi Salihi (and no, I've never heard of him either), probably in the range of $1,500,000 or so in salary plus transfer fee. They had to use a DP spot for that amount of money.

They weren't paying DeRo so much that a DP spot became a necessity so, I agree, why pay the $250,000 luxury tax? And also hamstring your team by giving up that last DP spot in case another player comes along during the summer transfer window that you are willing to pay that kind of money for? They could still cover his contract with allocation money so it makes sense to go that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero did very well considering that, if I understand this right, he will make $500-600K/year until he's 36.

Time to put this behind us and get 100% behind Dero at BMO in June.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Ensco said.

Come on Ag, I'm just trying to get Roogsy going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FO-friendly supporters perhaps, but with the less-ardent TFC fan? I don't think he has. My understanding is he continues to get interest from endorsement opportunities in the GTA area because research has showed he still has a positive exposure in Toronto in addition to increase media presence.

I am starting to think people do ignore my posts because it was already shown that DC was willing to improve on his contract and give him DP status but the terms of the contract were rejected by MLS. Delusion is an unfortunate selection of working since large segments of MLS believed he deserved it. That he finally got a DP contract without the DP tag speaks to that. So I don't know how we can define that as an "obvious" fact he should have already known. Had he not fought for his beliefs, he wouldn't have this new contract and TFC would have screwed him with his old one. His fight landed him a better contract and it vindicates him.
    That was always the argument though, that MLS would not allow Dero to be a DP player, not MLSE. I remember several times going back and finding quotes from MLS officials stating that explicitly (which is why I said it was obvious for a while before hand that it wasn't going to happen). But MLSE promised something they couldn't deliver on, which is why I totally understand Deros reaction and demand. The only thing about the whole saga that bothered me was Dero holding a new regime and new people accountable for Mo's lies and drunken babble. Did mo fuck him? Absolutely. What'd Aron Winter or Mariner have to do with it? Nothing. It was a nuclear bomb of a problem dropped on their laps not 2 weeks into their tenure. That bothered me.

And as for fans, I think you're right in terms of hardcore supporters. Casual fans though will remember the dreds, the cheque signing and the last month mostly. I think that's his legacy here unfortunately.

Edit: I totally agree with Ensco. The past is the past. Vince Carter Deros not. Hell even Vince I'm over, after that OTR lockout special with him, Oakley and T-Mac I'm basically just on the fuck tmac bandwagon. Seriously, fuck that guy. Cost us a chance at a dynasty. Oh if only....
    Last edited by Waggy; 02-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Ensco said.

Come on Ag, I'm just trying to get Roogsy going.
    Oh man, don't get me going like that!

I was spoiling for an internet battle

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just thankful that we can now finally move on, as can DeRo. I know I'll be cheering DeRo when he plays for the CMNT.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    That was always the argument though, that MLS would not allow Dero to be a DP player, not MLSE. I remember several times going back and finding quotes from MLS officials stating that explicitly (which is why I said it was obvious for a while before hand that it wasn't going to happen). But MLSE promised something they couldn't deliver on, which is why I totally understand Deros reaction and demand. The only thing about the whole saga that bothered me was Dero holding a new regime and new people accountable for Mo's lies and drunken babble. Did mo fuck him? Absolutely. What'd Aron Winter or Mariner have to do with it? Nothing. It was a nuclear bomb of a problem dropped on their laps not 2 weeks into their tenure. That bothered me.
    There is one thing that differentiates DC and TFC though. DC never made DeRo any promises and yet went to bat for him, tried to get a DP type contract and even when the original negotiated contract was rejected, DC did everything possible to find a contract both sides would accept.

Toronto was completely different. I know the belief here is that MLS rejected a new DeRo contract but that simply is not true. Whatever position MLS would have held on a new contract was never tested because TFC never bothered to even start negotiations until weeks before the 2011 season and even then it was basically his current contract plus an additional optional year as a coach, an offer DeRo flat out turned down so it never even got to a point where the league could have turned it down. There was no effort made to actually negotiate or test the limits of what the league would have accepted because the team never let it get that far. And for a team that continuously made promises that were never honoured, they owed DeRo more effort than what they actually gave. What DC here showed was better faith than TFC did and that is the difference between the two teams.

I said it at the height of the DeRo drama in 2011 and I was proven right. DeRo would have accepted a contract with a little more money with more length and security even if it was not a DP type contract, one where allocation money was used. And low and behold that is what DC offered and he took. TFC didnt offer a contract anywhere near what DC negotiated and when the details come out you guys will see it is not an unreasonable contract for either side. One that TFC, had they bothered to negotiate in good faith, could have reached themselves. You say Winter and Mariner are not to blame, but they are not without responsibility when they too made promises to DeRo to negotiate a fair contract and then failed to even try, dismissing the all-time leading scorer for weeks until they finally gave a half-hearted attempt to shut him up. They are not responsible for Mo's promises but they are fully responsible for failing to deal with the situation promptly and then failing to get good value for him.

Basically to save us some allocation money, we gave up an MLS All Star and MVP and still wound up with the 3rd highest payroll in MLS that didnt make the playoffs last year and I predict will stumble into a wild card spot this year. As hard as TFC fans try to convince themselves it was not a bad trade, history has already started to show it was probably the worst trade of our short history.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 02-21-2012 at 12:47 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one thing that differentiates DC and TFC though. DC never made DeRo any promises and yet went to bat for him, tried to get a DP type contract and even when the original negotiated contract was rejected, DC did everything possible to find a contract both sides would accept.

Toronto was completely different. I know the belief here is that MLS rejected a new DeRo contract but that simply is not true. Whatever position MLS would have held on a new contract was never tested because TFC never bothered to even start negotiations until weeks before the 2011 season and even then it was basically his current contract plus an additional optional year as a coach, an offer DeRo flat out turned down so it never even got to a point where the league could have turned it down. There was no effort made to actually negotiate or test the limits of what the league would have accepted because the team never let it get that far. And for a team that continuously made promises that were never honoured, they owed DeRo more effort than what they actually gave. What DC here showed was better faith than TFC did and that is the difference between the two teams.

I said it at the height of the DeRo drama in 2011 and I was proven right. DeRo would have accepted a contract with a little more money with more length and security even if it was not a DP type contract, one where allocation money was used. And low and behold that is what DC offered and he took. TFC didnt offer a contract anywhere near what DC negotiated and when the details come out you guys will see it is not an unreasonable contract for either side. One that TFC, had they bothered to negotiate in good faith, could have reached themselves. You say Winter and Mariner are not to blame, but they are not without responsibility when they too made promises to DeRo to negotiate a fair contract and then failed to even try, dismissing the all-time leading scorer for weeks until they finally gave a half-hearted attempt to shut him up. They are not responsible for Mo's promises but they are fully responsible for failing to deal with the situation promptly and then failing to get good value for him.

Basically to save us some allocation money, we gave up an MLS All Star and MVP and still wound up with the 3rd highest payroll in MLS that didnt make the playoffs last year and I predict will stumble into a wild card spot this year. As hard as TFC fans try to convince themselves it was not a bad trade, history has already started to show it was probably the worst trade of our short history.
    you seem to have forgotten we made the CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals...something 12 MLS teams can't say they have.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many fans (TFC or non TFC) that believe TFC would have made the Quarterfinals with DeRo instead of Frings and Koef