Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Did draft order matter? Couldn't it have been the last pick in the draft? There was no other team in the draft.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for Mapp, everyone else that Mtl took was either depth, or very marginal starters. By looking at Marsch's drafting pattern, he was likely not going to draft a player with high wage at the expansion draft.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Did draft order matter? Couldn't it have been the last pick in the draft? There was no other team in the draft.
    No, my point was the symbolism of it all, now that we know what they got.

If they had said "for the first pick of the expansion draft, the Montreal Impact select the 2013 conditional draft pick of the Houston Dynamo!" we'd all have been having a laugh back then. They made a deliberate symbolic move to name Ching first in the expansion draft. I guess for the publicity. It backfired.

I see a few players on decent wages I would have selected that would provide something more than that pick will, and they'd do it in 2012.
    Last edited by rocker; 02-16-2012 at 09:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll believe these guys that Montreal may have had some better options:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2...-instead-ching

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'll believe these guys that Montreal may have had some better options:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2...-instead-ching
    note the comment section. b/c Mtl already took a player from teams that most of those players are from, only Saad and Stephens would have been available to be picked
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Colorado is apparently interested in Eddie Johnson, and is trying to trade up the allocation order to get him.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak

According to Goff, EJ is to make at least 100k this year, with team option at 150k for 2013.

I'd say with those numbers, he's worth a risk as back up striker.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ For TFC you mean or for any team in general?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Eddie Johnson, is available when we select, should we pass, trade or take him, I dont know much about Eddie, but if you guys could let me know it would greatly be of help

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the first player to score at BMO Field?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    If Eddie Johnson, is available when we select, should we pass, trade or take him, I dont know much about Eddie, but if you guys could let me know it would greatly be of help
    In 2007 he had a decent season with KC, hence the reason he was picked up by Fulham, but clearly didn't impress there, and seems to have been loaned out numerous times since. He's either caught in a rut and just needs the right team to get back in form, or he just isn't as good as originally thought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rudiker View Post
    In 2007 he had a decent season with KC, hence the reason he was picked up by Fulham, but clearly didn't impress there, and seems to have been loaned out numerous times since. He's either caught in a rut and just needs the right team to get back in form, or he just isn't as good as originally thought.
    EJ was a good MLS striker. He actually used to make 750k per yr or something before Fulham bought him for 6 mil bucks. Though his strike rate was about 1 goal for 3 games, however, he was a young striker thought to be one of better American strikers, with 42 caps to date.

To me, EJ is a good MLS 1.0 striker. He has the speed and athleticism, but always thought he lacked the football brains or the technical skill need to succeed in Europe, and it showed. EJ couldn't hack it on Championship level, and I think MLS has gotten to the point that you have to be at least a good Championship level player in order to have an impact in MLS. I also think he lacks mental toughness.

For 100k, I think he's worth the risk. EJ needs a coach who can be patient with him and willing to give him first team mins in order to build his confidence. And I don't think

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Central defender Šaćir Hot waived by New York.

Interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS in negotiations with Michael Ballack. New York, Montreal, Chicago, Philly, Seattle apparently interested

http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2012/...lable-to-move/

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...h-major-league

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Bayer Leverkusen has been doing everything they can to try to push Ballack out. Apparently they even tried to set up a testomonial for him. But he doesn't get the hint. His career has really turned into a joke. Whoever gets him is making a big mistake I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Central defender Šaćir Hot waived by New York.

Interesting.
    They cut another 1 year home grown player too, Matt Kassel.

If these academies are cranking out MLS-level players but they can't get rostered, obviously they are going to end up in NASL or USL Pro. Could see some improvements in quality in the lower divisions, won't be as reliant on veterans wrapping up their playing days. That would be an interesting development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal picks Eddie Johnson and deal him to ...

???

rumor=Seattle.

MLS is always full of lulz

CONFIRMED EJ for Neagle and Fucito.
    good business for IMFC but double you tee eff Sigi!
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 02-17-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great trade for Montreal, just what they needed adding two young attacking players. Seattle must really see something in Johnson to give up Fucito and Neagle. Probably had to outbid Colorado.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Great trade for Montreal, just what they needed adding two young attacking players. Seattle must really see something in Johnson to give up Fucito and Neagle. Probably had to outbid Colorado.
    Seattle traded for a big question mark. If Johnson pans out, he will add that speed up front to stretch opposition defence and allow montero more room to do stuff.

I dont think Johnson has it. Plus he still has first touch of a fumbling rapist.

Mtl adds more quality depth. I liked what i saw from neagle and fucito last yr

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

montreal is creating a team with a bunch of young role players, and a bunch of different styles of players, i would be surprised if this team gels early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rio Ferdinand to the MLS after the English season are starting to gather some steam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This threads been quiet lately. Lets see if this will get it going.

Robbie Keane's homesick?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-return.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    montreal is creating a team with a bunch of young role players, and a bunch of different styles of players, i would be surprised if this team gels early.
    I'm not anywhere near that dismissive. They may be a better team than TFC, or at least, I can see how they might be better. They have good depth for an expansion team. This is already an MLS-worthy roster today:

Solid veterans:
    Arnaud
    Mapp
    Shavar Thomas
    Wahl
    Ricketts
    (maybe Burling also, not sue about him)

Interesting youth (or good MLS role players, at a minimum):
    Wenger
    Valentin
    Braun
    Nyassi
    Neagle
    Fucito

Reasonable Looking Signings:
    Bernier
    Rivas
    Last edited by ensco; 02-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a method to their madness. I wouldn't be shocked if they were competitive.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Weren't people saying the same about Vancouver last year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. True. (For me anyways.) Speaking for myself, much of the envy about Vancouver was because of the Rochat and Hassli signings. They worked, but nothing else did, there was no depth there at all. I would say Montreal has learned a lot from that. The Johnson deal is evidence of that.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    This threads been quiet lately. Lets see if this will get it going.

Robbie Keane's homesick?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...er-return.html

Umm perhapes he leaves march 6th... the 12th at the latest... I can dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homesick for which home? He's played at like 35 teams in the last 10 years (exaggeration but you know what I mean).

Assuming this is more than just tabloid bs, he probably found that his value in the Prem was higher than he thought it was and now wants to end his MLS adventure. If he leaves in the summer transfer window, that could put a dent in LA's plans.

Link:
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/tran...cle867599.html

50% chance it is just made up shit from the Mirror, 35% chance he did say he wants to come back but after finishing his contract at Galaxy, which the Mirror chose to leave out, 15% chance he wants out asap.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 02-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm not anywhere near that dismissive. They may be a better team than TFC, or at least, I can see how they might be better. They have good depth for an expansion team. This is already an MLS-worthy roster today:

Solid veterans: Arnaud, Mapp, Shavar Thomas, Wahl, Ricketts,(maybe Burling also, not sue about him)

Interesting youth (or good MLS role players, at a minimum):
    Wenger,Valentin, Braun, Nyassi, Neagle, Fucito

Reasonable Looking Signings:
    Bernier
    Rivas
    The young players i agree with 100%, all athletic, and can bring something, but who knows if they will all gell.

Now being a veteran doesn't merely mean your good, being a veteran means you have been good "enough" to stay around the league longer, so you know the league, better than a younger player. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the veteran is the better option, because there are different types, there is contributor Veterans (who can fill in a game here or there, but never consistent 90's), there is Solid Veterans, and there is dwindling veterans who this may be their last club in the mls.

All except Ricketts is a SOLID veteran.
    Arnuad and Mapp, are considered the contributor veterans, or else they would still be on their last years teams, if they were SOLID.
    The rest are the Dwindling Veterans

but this is IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The young players i agree with 100%, all athletic, and can bring something, but who knows if they will all gell.

Now being a veteran doesn't merely mean your good, being a veteran means you have been good "enough" to stay around the league longer, so you know the league, better than a younger player. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the veteran is the better option, because there are different types, there is contributor Veterans (who can fill in a game here or there, but never consistent 90's), there is Solid Veterans, and there is dwindling veterans who this may be their last club in the mls.

All except Ricketts is a SOLID veteran.
    Arnuad and Mapp, are considered the contributor veterans, or else they would still be on their last years teams, if they were SOLID.
    The rest are the Dwindling Veterans

but this is IMO.
    Should add Matteo Ferrari to the solid veterans/decent new signings.