Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With so many unknown South Americans, nobody can't really tell whether they will tank or be a success
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Well the MLS power rankings, for what it's worth, had New England at the bottom.

This line from the Bleacher Report MLS Power Rankings had me giggling...

Great teams don't rebuild. They reload.
    I assume they aren't talking about us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timbers are trialing South African international DM Lance Davids, plays for Lierse in Belgium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumor that Juninho has been cut from Sao Paulo and might be heading back to LA. That would not be good for us.

Article in Portuguese:
    http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/notic...la-galaxy.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Rumor that Juninho has been cut from Sao Paulo and might be heading back to LA. That would not be good for us.

Article in Portuguese:
    http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/notic...la-galaxy.html
    if this is true.....

there team will be stupid crazy with donovan, keane, buddle, beckham annddd juninho how is this fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    if this is true.....

there team will be stupid crazy with donovan, keane, buddle, beckham annddd juninho how is this fair
    This is like a fucking gift for them (if it happens).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the hell would the Galaxy be able to afford all that?

Oh, I forgot, probably the wrong question to ask when talking about LA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More on the Juninho situation
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/...sao-paolo-loan

*NO LOAN FEE wtf!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where do they have the cap room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's fun...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    where do they have the cap room
    i think you would know by now,that you dont ask about the galaxys salary cap.
    Maybe they received allocation for winning the league, for being in champions league, for their tv deal they recently signed.....who knows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    i think you would know by now,that you dont ask about the galaxys salary cap.
    Maybe they received allocation for winning the league, for being in champions league, for their tv deal they recently signed.....who knows
    LA did clear some cap space with Hejduk, Berhalter, Kirovski leaving. Also apparently loan fee from Donovan and Keane loans are like transfer fees; LA gets a piece of it as allocation money

either way, that's one stacked team. (and Leonardo signs as free transfer from Sao Paolo too)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA does get special treatment but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that MLS completely turns the lawbook upside down for them.

The truth is that (in addition to getting some "soft" decisions go their way) they have a management team that knows how to work the system.

Another reason why MLS experience is necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ They get allocation out of the loan fee? really? *groan*

The rules this league is using for salary purposes are bursting at the seams. They would make their lives much easier by simplifying things, giving teams 100% of transfer money and taking all the grey area and bullshit out of the equation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    LA does get special treatment but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that MLS completely turns the lawbook upside down for them.

The truth is that (in addition to getting some "soft" decisions go their way) they have a management team that knows how to work the system.

Luckily we've got Paul Mariner, especially when it comes to "capology" and the like. Not sure if that's enough to compete with LA on level terms though. I mean, the whole DP rule was invented for them, plus Donovan grandfathered. Who knows what else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless the MLS decides to either become transparent or you can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, i call it a fix...it will continue to be a fix until proven otherwise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Luckily we've got Paul Mariner, especially when it comes to "capology" and the like. Not sure if that's enough to compete with LA on level terms though. I mean, the whole DP rule was invented for them, plus Donovan grandfathered. Who knows what else.
    article on LA's salary cap space

I actually think LA has enough cap space for all their new players, plus even a replacement for Omar Gonzalez

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...who-knows.html

this would be so much easier if we know how much allocation LA picked up on Ricketts trade, and allocation from Donovan and Keane loan fees

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    To DP rule was invented for Beckham. They would have made it happen regardless of what team he wanted to go to.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless the MLS decides to either become transparent or you can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, i call it a fix...it will continue to be a fix until proven otherwise.
    I'm with you, I call it a fix, as well. It would be huge for the league to have LA play Barcelona in a meaningful match, you can bet on that.

The Competition committee has the power to give any team extra allocation dollars for whatever reason they see fit. That's how the system works.

This is beyond Arena being smart enough to game the system. This is the league FO wanting LA to beat the Mexicans and play in the CWC. Unfortunately, TFC will be steamrollered to achieve that goal.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I wouldn't be surprised if TFC got some allocation money "fix" itself to sign Plata and Eckersley. I think the league knows it's not in its interests to have TFC at the bottom of the league year in and year out. Of course we've not made it easy on them to avoid that situation.

I welcome the signing. Bring on their best team. It'll be an even bigger statement if we can beat them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a crutch though. Call it a fix all you want, you are basically finding them guilty until proven innocent.

The rules that have been bent for them have been pretty obvious. Yes, the DP rule was essentially built for them. Yes Donovan was grandfathered as a non-DP. Yes they added more DPs available. But these rules weren't exclusive to LA (save for Donovan's grandfathered contract) and these "exceptions" were made available to any team, not just LA. So how have the rules been bent for them? While the DP rule was invented for them, any team had the ability to apply it. Beckham came into the league but nothing stopped other teams from bringing on their own Beckhams. Mo and TFC simply decided it "wasn't right". Whose fault is that, the leagues?

And Donovan's contract at the time of the DP rule was grandfathered, not his current contract. He is no longer grandfathered as a non-DP making DP money, he is a full-fledged DP meaning that "leeway" no longer exists for LA.

I know it's easier to accuse the league of underhanded ways, but I think we are simply using the league as a scapegoat. If it was TFC making deep runs into the playoffs and CCL, signing global stars and bringing in ad dollars to the league, they'd be giving us the same consideration. So I will take the opposite position of yours and accept that while the league has been accomodating to LA, there is no proof that they have broken any rules to favour them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC still has a duty to do their best to beat this team and can't use it as an excuse. However, anyone with a calculator and basic math knows that the numbers for LA don't add up.

Frankly, LA winning it all would even benefit us in Toronto, because it will raise the league's profile a lot. Of course TFC winning it all would be best, but I think its unlikely that would happen.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-07-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Let's remember as well (as much as I'm not a huge fan of this situation) that TFC had some dubious decisions go its way. For example: Frei's GA status was kept well beyond what it reasonably should have been.

In the end, I think they are just shooting themselves in the foot here. Just make it a more open simplified system and be out with it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm lazy. Someone else go crunch the math

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a big deal, as others have mentioned, is that many things aren't publicized. We don't even fully know the "normal" allocation rules, let alone the magic allocation dollars awarded by the (anti-) "competition committee."

TFC got a special allocation from the league up front: "Here take Mo Johnston, he's awesome." (Sure it's still TFC's fault for taking him, just sayin')

Yes the DP rules were made permanent, and TFC is taking advantage of them. However, there's still the perception that LA gets what they ask for, when they ask for it, even if that favour is then extended to others. Are there things that other teams are asking for, that they aren't getting? Very likely -- and a few things specifically that we have heard about.

There's also been some funky stuff in NY, with a non-MLS-experienced Backe in charge....

In absence of transparency, I can guarantee that rumours & accusations will continue to run rampant around the league, not just at TFC -- and some will even be true.

In no way do I want TFC to use this as an excuse -- more likely use it as a way for all of us & especially the team to be extra pissed & extra motivated. And to continue pushing for fairness & transparency.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^ Roogsy, it's not a "crutch." TFC still has a duty to do their best to beat this team and can't use it as an excuse. However, anyone with a calculator and basic math knows that the numbers for LA don't add up.
    It's not a fix, did you read the link Yohan posted?

The Galaxy dropped a ton of salaries, got allocation for CCL qualification, sold Ricketts to Montreal for allocation, and likely got significant allocation in the Keane and Donovan loans. Not to mention the salary cap increased by $135k. All this is enough to add Buddle and the other guys they brought in, plus probably room for a replacement for Gonzalez.

People tend to ignore the fact that LA is a well run club. They've drafted extremely well, got pretty much the best use out of their DP slots, and brought in some international gems for cheap.

They've got serious aspirations of going to the Club World Cup. TFC needs every player at the top of their game to beat them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a crutch though. Call it a fix all you want, you are basically finding them guilty until proven innocent.

The rules that have been bent for them have been pretty obvious. Yes, the DP rule was essentially built for them. Yes Donovan was grandfathered as a non-DP. Yes they added more DPs available. But these rules weren't exclusive to LA (save for Donovan's grandfathered contract) and these "exceptions" were made available to any team, not just LA. So how have the rules been bent for them? While the DP rule was invented for them, any team had the ability to apply it. Beckham came into the league but nothing stopped other teams from bringing on their own Beckhams. Mo and TFC simply decided it "wasn't right". Whose fault is that, the leagues?

And Donovan's contract at the time of the DP rule was grandfathered, not his current contract. He is no longer grandfathered as a non-DP making DP money, he is a full-fledged DP meaning that "leeway" no longer exists for LA.

I know it's easier to accuse the league of underhanded ways, but I think we are simply using the league as a scapegoat. If it was TFC making deep runs into the playoffs and CCL, signing global stars and bringing in ad dollars to the league, they'd be giving us the same consideration. So I will take the opposite position of yours and accept that while the league has been accomodating to LA, there is no proof that they have broken any rules to favour them.
    i am not talking about rules being bent their way...i am way past that. I am speaking directly to LA having a cap that will probably surpass $3 million while others dont. The league will then say well LA had allocation...this is where the league falters! What allcoation? How much allocation? What are they getting the allocation for? Why is my team not getting that much allocation?

THAT is the FIX!

The league cannot prove without a reasonable doubt that there is no fix without releasing these numbers...plain and simple

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"No loan fee" for Juninho still sounds interesting. In light of this thread & the CCL thread, I've often wondered how many ways there are for MLS teams to "get creative" w/o the league even screwing around. Let's just imagine, after this "free" Juninho deal, if Sao Paulo comes up to LA for a friendly in the next 1-2 years, or to another team where Anschutz is involved. Then what if Sao Paolo receives an appearance fee for that game, that is perhaps $100k or $200k more than what a team like them would "normally" be paid for a friendly?

There are probably many other ways to "get creative" like that. No idea what is regulated & how. More transparency would help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    It's not a fix, did you read the link Yohan posted?

The Galaxy dropped a ton of salaries, got allocation for CCL qualification, sold Ricketts to Montreal for allocation, and likely got significant allocation in the Keane and Donovan loans. Not to mention the salary cap increased by $135k. All this is enough to add Buddle and the other guys they brought in, plus probably room for a replacement for Gonzalez.

People tend to ignore the fact that LA is a well run club. They've drafted extremely well, got pretty much the best use out of their DP slots, and brought in some international gems for cheap.

They've got serious aspirations of going to the Club World Cup. TFC needs every player at the top of their game to beat them.
    and keane's cap hit goes up, so does barrett now that we aren't paying that, saunders got a new deal, franklin got a new deal, im sure marcelo sarves wasn't cheap, im sure juninho on loan, while the fee might be free, that salary hit is going up...did they get leonardo on a free, im sure his salary will go up, then there is edson buddle who went from 179k in the mls to over 500k in germany...don't think he settles on anything less than 250k

and again the question is this...how much allocation...its a fix unless the mls can prove otherwise