Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there are still some anomolies to consider, some which haven't been discussed in this thread.

However, let's stick to cap space. It's interesting that LA got allocation for winning the Suporters' Shield. That has never been reported as happening before, In fact, giving such an award goes against parity. Could it be that the rules are being changed on the fly to help LA win the CCL and have Beckham in the CWC? Nawww,,, it couldn't be...

or could it?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Well there are still some anomolies to consider, some which haven't been discussed in this thread.

However, let's stick to cap space. It's interesting that LA got allocation for winning the Suporters' Shield. That has never been reported as happening before, In fact, giving such an award goes against parity. Could it be that the rules are being changed on the fly to help LA win the CCL and have Beckham in the CWC? Nawww,,, it couldn't be...

or could it?

Nope.

Winning has been rewarded with allocation space for some time. We didn't seem to mind when we made it into the CCL and got rewarded with allocation space did we?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Nope.

Winning has been rewarded with allocation space for some time. We didn't seem to mind when we made it into the CCL and got rewarded with allocation space did we?
    CCL has had allocation space since last year, I think (since MLS decided it needed to take it more seriously). I don't think that the SS had cash, though.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im wondering though, how much money is distributed? ive read 10-20k but nothing concrete. also, where does this funding come from (how is it distributed from what the league makes)? does the amount raise/lower if the league makes more money?

argh, so many questions!! sometimes i wish the league would just publish a proper list of all of this shit. not to silence conspiracy theories or anything like that, they'll happen anyways, but just because there's a lot of people out there who want to know what's going on with their team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    LA is going about being the "best team in North America" one way, by buying expensive well-known players. TFC is going another route by investing in the academy and hopefully developing the talent at home (with some lesser known and slightly cheaper DPs thrown in). Will be interesting
    see which pays off in the long run.
    100% behind our decision to grow through the development of the academy
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    im wondering though, how much money is distributed? ive read 10-20k but nothing concrete. also, where does this funding come from (how is it distributed from what the league makes)? does the amount raise/lower if the league makes more money?

argh, so many questions!! sometimes i wish the league would just publish a proper list of all of this shit. not to silence conspiracy theories or anything like that, they'll happen anyways, but just because there's a lot of people out there who want to know what's going on with their team.
    The CCL is rumoured to be a half allocation ($155k). TFC should have received this cash, and it explains how we were able to fit in Plata under the cap.

LA is getting double that for winning the SS ($310k). While Garber publicly said they were going to reward CCL success, he never said that they were going to give a prize for the SS.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-09-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Boyens is their starting CB, I don't care if the rest of them are the Spanish MNT, we have a chance.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Interesting article by Ives... and as I said before, roster compliance date for the cap hasn't arrived. Barrett would be the easy one to dump, as Ives suggests, and it would save them a lot of cap money.
    I know Arena loves Mike Magee, but the jack-of-all-trades is making a lot of money for a guy in his position, and could be moved I think. But Arena probably wouldn't do that.. he's useful (even in goal
    I wonder how easy Barrett will be to dump on that salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The CCL is rumoured to be a half allocation ($155k). TFC should have received this cash, and it explains how we were able to fit in Plata under the cap.

LA is getting double that for winning the SS ($310k). While Garber publicly said they were going to reward CCL success, he never said that they were going to give a prize for the SS.
    More to the point - I see nothing in the rules about getting allocation money for winning the SS. So if that is the case that LA got allocation money for it, it is suspicious.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

Allocation Money
    Allocation money is a resource available to clubs in addition to their respective salary budgets.
    A club may receive allocation money for:

• failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs;
    • the transfer of a player to a club outside of MLS for value;
    • expansion status;
    • qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

listening to extratimeradio where you got guys discussing the salary cap thing and they all say oh we don't know the rules with the cap etc... (in reference to omar gonzalez)

sorry but these guys work at the mls head f****ng office and they don't know the rules...are they really that stupid.

edit: they just said tfc had been selling tickets to the game fore 3 month and advertising beckham for the whole time
    Last edited by prizby; 02-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Advancing in CONCAF and winning the SS are 2 totally different things.

Allocation money is primarly used to create parity. Hence teams that dont qualifty for the playoffs and expansion teams are given allocation to make it easier for next year.

When a team advances in CCL the tournement it can stretch over 2 season, so MLS has decided they want to give some relief to a team, in order to keep the core of players together, and having a better chance at advancing further and thus promoting the leauge on a global level.

Getting allocation for winning the SS is counter productive, it works against parity, and does not promote the leauge golbally...unless its the LA Gals doing the winning of course

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYRB signs 20 yr old DM Victor Palsson from Hibernian (SPL). He also played for Liverpool reserve squad

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/...victor-palsson
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    100% behind our decision to grow through the development of the academy
    Agreed. In 10 years LA will have splashed out far more on high-priced guns than we will have spent on the Academy. That thing will start paying for itself soon enough.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

as brad stated in the 2011 MLS rules

Allocation Money
    Allocation money is a resource available to clubs in addition to their respective salary budgets.
    A club may receive allocation money for:

• failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs;
    • the transfer of a player to a club outside of MLS for value;
    • expansion status;
    • qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League;

that would seem to me that the mls is helping LA get around the cap if they made up a new rule

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys need tin-foil hats.

In February 2011, Major League Soccer announced that any of their teams that participate in the CONCACAF Champions League would receive an undisclosed amount of additional allocation money, mainly to add squad depth to their rosters. Indirectly, since the Shield winner earns a CCL berth, this marked the first time in league history that the Supporters' Shield winner would receive some type of financial incentive for winning the regular season title.
    That took me 5 seconds to find.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives seems to think that there were two separate allocations in this context for LA: one for the CCL 2nd-round qualification (which we knew about & expected; you need more depth for surviving the extra games); and one for winning the SS (which we knew nothing about until now).

So, does TFC get a 2nd similar allocation, for winning the NCC... perhaps less because it's less difficult than SS... but that's the way we qualify, and we can't qualify via SS...

The league so far has never announced that you get additional allocation for winning the SS (beyond the allocation for the 2nd round CCL qualification).

Transparency would be nice in any case.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Didn't Roogsy just post that you get allocation for winning the SS?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any case, next year I think they should introduce a new method for earning extra allocation. In cases where there is more than one MLS team in a city, the team with the highest point total in the season gets an extra allocation amount. You know, because of the extra competition (for fans, media time, advertising $ etc) when there's more than one team in a city. Why does the team with the higher point total get the extra allo, rather than the weaker team? Because.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Not directly. That quote says you earn allo for participating in the CCL -- therefore only indirectly for winning the SS, if that's the way you qualified for CCL. (Cdn teams apparently wouldn't get extra allo for winning the SS, since that's not the way they qualify for CCL.)

So, can any team now earn two allo amounts for the CCL -- one for qualifying; plus one for making it to the 2nd round? I don't know and I don't think that's clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think that's what happened. They got allocation for making it to the quarterfinals and qualifying for the next season's CCL (by winning the shield). Also, Toronto would get allocation for winning the ACC. The Galaxy probably get an advance because they already qualified for 2012-13 (no that's not unfair, please don't complain).

I for one am looking forward to what the LA truthers are going to jump on next.
    Last edited by mowe; 02-10-2012 at 03:58 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    no, the quote doesn't say that:

Indirectly, since the Shield winner earns a CCL berth, this marked the first time in league history that the Supporters' Shield winner would receive some type of financial incentive for winning the regular season title.
    The quote is only saying that you get money for a CCL berth. Let's put on the tin hats!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone ever clarify what was going on with the Juninho loan fee? I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't one, which is really odd. Maybe THATS what you get for winning the SS..lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Did anyone ever clarify what was going on with the Juninho loan fee? I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't one, which is really odd. Maybe THATS what you get for winning the SS..lol
    Can't remember where I read it but it seems he had some sort of falling out with his coach at Sao Paolo. Maybe he's a headcase or the coach is a hardass...the Galaxy reap the spoils.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Well that and realistically he's a good player for MLS standards but really nothing special compared to what SPFC would have on their books. If you believe wiki they've never so much as given him a single run-out.

Not unusual for Brasileiro clubs to blow up their rosters once in a while and the players they "dump" end up all over europe playing in top leagues. And these are guys who will play for good clubs but usually never get so much as a sniff at the nats. And the clubs can afford to do this because the pipeline of talent is absolutely insane, although these days the teams are doing better and better financially so that adds a new element.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadview View Post
    Can't remember where I read it but it seems he had some sort of falling out with his coach at Sao Paolo. Maybe he's a headcase or the coach is a hardass...the Galaxy reap the spoils.
    Wouldn't they normally try to sell the player?

Or was there some understanding all along that he would be loaned back for free for a year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there was a coaching change. Emerson Leao returned to the club in October 2011, not as keen on Juninho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys need tin-foil hats.

That took me 5 seconds to find.
    And it took me 3 seconds to find the official roster rules that I posted. Excuse me for not looking at wikipedia like you did...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New England Revolution sign French striker Saër Sène from Bayern Munich's reserve team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%C3%ABr_S%C3%A8ne

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    Advancing in CONCAF and winning the SS are 2 totally different things.

Allocation money is primarly used to create parity. Hence teams that dont qualifty for the playoffs and expansion teams are given allocation to make it easier for next year.
    agreed, you can make the CCL other ways. there's four separate chances to get that sweet, sweet allocation money if you're one of the 16 'merican teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    Getting allocation for winning the SS is counter productive, it works against parity, and does not promote the leauge golbally...unless its the LA Gals doing the winning of course
    teams that don't qualify for the playoffs also have higher draft picks = parity restored.

they can use these picks as trade bate or to pull a high ranking prospect. it makes it tougher to pull yourself out of the mud not having 100K+ instantly available (or the gate money for a playoff game), but it's an investment in the future, along with allocation money, let's not forget that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently robbie rogers was interested in going to portland if leeds didn't work out...good to see somebody has half a brain and knows when their teams city stinks