Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
  1. #1
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec-115
    Posts
    9,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !


  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 111 Row 8
    Posts
    9,060
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Morning D.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

    TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    John "J-Mo" Molinaro is now at Sportsnet. Good to see they have beefed up their soccer journalism.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Posts
    13,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Morning...

    I'd rather be in bed right now.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    116
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh Kelly...can someone send him a picture of our roster properly identifying everyone...

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Colombian striker, Edison Chara, was murdered in Colombia. Seeing how dangerous some countries like Mexico, Brazil, and Colombia, IMO, it would be an ideal to look for young players in these countries. MLS already has a strong pocket of Colombian, Mexican and Brazillian players.

    I would like to see a couple of central defenders come from these areas of the world.

  7. #7
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Kelly is actually writing better articles these days. I wonder if the long exile on the "lifestyle" pages of the Star encouraged him to improve his craft.

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    low earth orbit
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    FYI - FIFA Executive Committee is meeting today and tomorrow. Radical Anti-Corruption measures are not on the agenda, but are expected to be released to the media late tomorrow.

    FIFA Ex-Co Preview - Reforms are Toughest Test of Blatter's Career

    Don't expect much.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,736
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Does a story that confirms every crazy thing you've ever thought about Columbus count as RPB news?

    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...um-County.html
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 119
    Posts
    11,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Does a story that confirms every crazy thing you've ever thought about Columbus count as RPB news?

    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...um-County.html
    An absolutely deplorable story.

    Haven't they heard of tranquilizer guns?

    It makes me sick to my stomach that they murdered all those exotic animals because of their own incompetence.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    “Danny Koevermans started the run,” de Guzman said. “I was available in the midfield, so once that pass came to me, I knew Plata was on his way, so just to get it to him in that space. ... ”
    This is the best part of the interviews and comments I've seen.

    He knew Plata was going to make a run. in the past that really didn't seem to be the case. The Boys know when someone is going to make a run, they know where to look, that is something that is great to see... I really can't wait for next season.

    We all kinda said this season was a write off, we knew that, so long as we saw improvement at the end of the season we'd be happy.

    Here we are, and that is it.

    If we don't make the playoffs next season I'm T-Ping the MLSE building.

  12. #12
    RPB Member Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Does a story that confirms every crazy thing you've ever thought about Columbus count as RPB news?

    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...um-County.html

    No, it's definitely Off-Topic.

  13. #13
    RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    112
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    mornin d

    nigel reed is spot on as usual

    cathal kelly is a wanker as always
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

  14. #14
    RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    112
    Posts
    4,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    This is the best part of the interviews and comments I've seen.

    He knew Plata was going to make a run. in the past that really didn't seem to be the case. The Boys know when someone is going to make a run, they know where to look, that is something that is great to see... I really can't wait for next season.

    We all kinda said this season was a write off, we knew that, so long as we saw improvement at the end of the season we'd be happy.

    Here we are, and that is it.

    If we don't make the playoffs next season I'm T-Ping the MLSE building.
    x2 see my sig
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

  15. #15
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    mornin d

    nigel reed is spot on as usual

    cathal kelly is a wanker as always
    kelly also got the fact that RSL made it to the finals wrong

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    kelly also got the fact that RSL made it to the finals wrong
    except they did, oh nvermind he said they only made it to the semis

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^he said they're the only MLS team to get to the semis in this version of the tourney.
    he didn't say they didn't get past the semis.
    his point is they're the only MLS team to get into semis.
    Last edited by GBV; 10-20-2011 at 10:22 AM.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    10,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Kelly is an exceptionally talented wordsmith and an intellectually lazy journalist who uses everything from obfuscation and confabulation to direct ad hominems to score points one way or the other.

    He'd be a talent if he stuck to writing about things he cared about. Soccer is quite obviously not one of those things.

    In other news, DeRo cements his place as a team player as DC is knocked out of the playoffs:

    "Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

    Wow, that's really telling.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    "Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

    Wow, that's really telling.
    How about we play fair -- quelle concept -- and include the rest of the quotes, too:

    WASHINGTON — For most of the second half, it was quite clear that D.C. United midfielder Dwayne De Rosario wasn’t operating at 100 percent. With pain in his right shin, he labored through the final 45 but still managed to score in D.C.’s 1-1 draw with Portland.

    “I’ve actually been kicked in the same spot about three games in a row now, and at halftime I didn’t think I would be able to make it,” he said after the game. “Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play for your team and that’s what I tried to do.”

    But it wasn’t enough. The result eliminated United from playoff contention, and De Rosario took that consequence personally.

    “Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

    The Canadian international has won four MLS Cups in his career: two with San Jose in 2001 and 2003, and two with Houston in 2006 and 2007. But he has now missed out on the postseason three years in a row. He spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with Toronto FC, both years failing to reach the postseason. He started this season again with Toronto then was traded to New York in April before being acquired by D.C. in June.

    “It was disheartening,” De Rosario, whose career-high 15th goal pushed him into the lead in the Golden Boot race. “But it isn’t [disheartening] in the sense that we showed some fight. It was another learning opportunity for a lot of us. We’re happy that the supporters stuck with us through the whole game, which means a lot to us as players.”

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    10,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    How about we play fair -- quelle concept -- and include the rest of the quotes, too:

    WASHINGTON — For most of the second half, it was quite clear that D.C. United midfielder Dwayne De Rosario wasn’t operating at 100 percent. With pain in his right shin, he labored through the final 45 but still managed to score in D.C.’s 1-1 draw with Portland.

    “I’ve actually been kicked in the same spot about three games in a row now, and at halftime I didn’t think I would be able to make it,” he said after the game. “Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play for your team and that’s what I tried to do.”

    But it wasn’t enough. The result eliminated United from playoff contention, and De Rosario took that consequence personally.

    “Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

    The Canadian international has won four MLS Cups in his career: two with San Jose in 2001 and 2003, and two with Houston in 2006 and 2007. But he has now missed out on the postseason three years in a row. He spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with Toronto FC, both years failing to reach the postseason. He started this season again with Toronto then was traded to New York in April before being acquired by D.C. in June.

    “It was disheartening,” De Rosario, whose career-high 15th goal pushed him into the lead in the Golden Boot race. “But it isn’t [disheartening] in the sense that we showed some fight. It was another learning opportunity for a lot of us. We’re happy that the supporters stuck with us through the whole game, which means a lot to us as players.”
    So you think that last quote somehow makes up for the first one? That not including it was somehow disingenuous? Naive.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    "Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

    Wow, that's really telling.

    Note the bold and underlined type. I think THAT's really telling.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interesting article up on the 11.ca

    http://the11.ca/2011/10/19/tfcs-succ...2-ncc-schedule

    He basically points out how playing in CCL will affect our schedule but this led me to realize the insane amount of games (57 including MLS, Playoffs, NCC, and CCL) that Toronto could play next year, and the fact that fixture congestion could kill our hopes and chances

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So you think that last quote somehow makes up for the first one? That not including it was somehow disingenuous? Naive.
    Ah jeez. I laugh.


  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    brantford
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Watching the new york-philly game, you'd think with new york fighting for their lives they'd have more than a half-empty stadium.

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    brantford
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good goal by richards.

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Watching the new york-philly game, you'd think with new york fighting for their lives they'd have more than a half-empty stadium.
    Yeah, pretty shitty. You'd think a nice, new stadium like that would be sold out every game.
    Missed the goal though. Damnit.
    Phil has a 16 year old playing? Woah.

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    How about we play fair -- quelle concept -- and include the rest of the quotes, too:

    WASHINGTON — For most of the second half, it was quite clear that D.C. United midfielder Dwayne De Rosario wasn’t operating at 100 percent. With pain in his right shin, he labored through the final 45 but still managed to score in D.C.’s 1-1 draw with Portland.

    “I’ve actually been kicked in the same spot about three games in a row now, and at halftime I didn’t think I would be able to make it,” he said after the game. “Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play for your team and that’s what I tried to do.”

    But it wasn’t enough. The result eliminated United from playoff contention, and De Rosario took that consequence personally.

    “Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

    The Canadian international has won four MLS Cups in his career: two with San Jose in 2001 and 2003, and two with Houston in 2006 and 2007. But he has now missed out on the postseason three years in a row. He spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with Toronto FC, both years failing to reach the postseason. He started this season again with Toronto then was traded to New York in April before being acquired by D.C. in June.

    “It was disheartening,” De Rosario, whose career-high 15th goal pushed him into the lead in the Golden Boot race. “But it isn’t [disheartening] in the sense that we showed some fight. It was another learning opportunity for a lot of us. We’re happy that the supporters stuck with us through the whole game, which means a lot to us as players.”
    Um, the quotes have no relation to each other. Feel bad for him he got kicked in the shin, don't see what that has to do with the quote that was already mentioned. Also, if Dero is MLS mvp, it does lend some credibility to the argument that he isn't the type of player to throw teammates on his back and carry them is he? He literally could have done nothing more for DC, but they were 5-9-6 after getting him. 21 points in 20 matches isn't terrible (in the same span (since June 27) TFC has 20 points. Obviously CL not included), but it's not like they were world beaters. I feel bad for the guy. He's definitely a poacher but he can't be asked to be the engine of a team. or even the spark plug. He's Nos.

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Um, the quotes have no relation to each other. Feel bad for him he got kicked in the shin, don't see what that has to do with the quote that was already mentioned. Also, if Dero is MLS mvp, it does lend some credibility to the argument that he isn't the type of player to throw teammates on his back and carry them is he? He literally could have done nothing more for DC, but they were 5-9-6 after getting him. 21 points in 20 matches isn't terrible (in the same span (since June 27) TFC has 20 points. Obviously CL not included), but it's not like they were world beaters. I feel bad for the guy. He's definitely a poacher but he can't be asked to be the engine of a team. or even the spark plug. He's Nos.
    In soccer more than any other sport, I would say, one player do not a team make. NYRB, with that Henry guy there, is a mere one game above .500 heading into tonight.

  30. #30
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    5,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Both RBNY and Philly are playing like crap. RB I can understand but Philly's slip in form is a little more puzzling.
    No one likes us, we don't care.
    You saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own.
    Louis Van Gaal, philosopher. "What is this world twisted?"
    Need more nonsense in your life? Follow me on the twitter @MrTuktoyaktuk

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •