Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLSE: Do what the Impact did

Use the Rogers Centre for the next CCL match. Contact youth soccer clubs. Sell really cheap tickets to them. Pack the joint. The buzz you'd create in the media from having 60k fans for a MLS club is worth millions to you. In Montreal it got them a franchise. In your case it would go a long way to restoring the buzz that disappeared 2 years ago. It's really worth what it would cost you. Just ask Joey.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-19-2011 at 04:52 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck no....to the Rogers Centre, anyway.

Let's play in our home and sell the bitch out for the first time in forever.

Also, Montreal was already getting a franchise. Thanks to us, mostly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get your hopes up at Rogers Centre.

1) they have MLSE over a barrel in terms of pricing.

2) Spring Fling will be there during march break.
    http://www.rogerscentre.com/events/a...24_144452_8684 (i understand the link is for 2011...but it happens every year, and is already booked for next year)

I do agree with OT in terms of pricing, etc...pack the place.
    Whatever SSH's don't buy, sell to soccer clubs for like $5 a kid.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just not sure there is enough of a buzz surrounding this team anymore to even fill the SkyDome for this. If this was 2008 I wouldn't even question it.

This team struggles to get 10,000 for the Group Stage games.

Besides the matches are being played in March, which might mean BMO Field could be ready?

Mind you if TFC draws LA Galaxy maybe the SkyDome is an option.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I'm just not sure there is enough of a buzz surrounding this team anymore to even fill the SkyDome for this. If this was 2008 I wouldn't even question it.

This team struggles to get 10,000 for the Group Stage games.

Besides the matches are being played in March, which might mean BMO Field could be ready?

Mind you if TFC draws LA Galaxy maybe the SkyDome is an option.
    I love the idea of packing Skydome with cheap tix available but if it can't be done in an affordable way than I believe you're right. Don't waste an opportunity to make BMO packed for a CCL night!! IT CAN BE DONE.

ALso: I hate that you're so right about the Galaxy. I'm hoping we face any teams outside of MLS.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like the logical thing to do when Toronto plays in the knockout rounds next spring. My concern is timing I guess someone already mentioned that there is already something scheduled for that date at the Rogers Centre, but the fact that ithe match will be played in March, it might mean a soggy or deteriorated BMO Field.

Also, if you do push for the match at the Rogers Centre, it could also mean playing on a surface thats entirely different than that of BMO Field. This might be a disadvantage to TFC since it would mean it would play on two foreign surfaces.

Rogers Centre only makes sense if you are trying to sell seats to the fans.

MLSE won't stand for that.......[Your Wallet]<----MLSE "fuckin every fold"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should play at BMO and have a real home field advantage,F*#k Rogers Centre.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoke to people I know who work for BMO field. Not TFC and rumor is that if it possible to have BMO ready then the game will be held there. It all depends on the draw we get in November and when the game is being held here.

The advantage of playing at BMO field against a Mexican team or a central American team in early March would be huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bmo Field!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say BMO all the way. I know it'll be cold but so what?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking to the business decision, MLSE has put every fibre of their corporate being into keeping prices high and maintaining the image of scarcity. I have a lot of trouble imagining that they would suddenly go down the "let's get 50,000 fannies at $20 a pop" route...
    Of course, if Rogers buys MLSE, that could change things, they want to promote Skydome. But probably not soon enough to influence what they do with this decision.

Speaking to the onfield decision, hell yeah, let's play it in a snowstorm.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-19-2011 at 07:26 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO field can host the game.

BMO has an incredible drainage and turf heating system.

the issue is if it is super cold, they won't have water...ie...no toilets...
    in order to get a liquor license...they'd need to bring in a few hundred port-o-lets.

By March we'll be starved/excited for TFC...we'll bundle up and head down to BMO to provide a true home field advantage.
    Last edited by Wagner; 10-19-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a miracle if we somehow even came close to selling out Skydome. I can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post

the issue is if it is super cold, they won't have water...ie...no toilets...
    in order to get a liquor license...they'd need to bring in a few hundred port-o-lets.
    Bring Your Own Flask.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id love it to happen but i dont see it happening, dont forget how well the rest of the CCL games were received this year, dont expect it to be any different outside of the group stages (unfortunately)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Anselmi said at the town hall I was at that getting BMO ready for such an early home opener being March 26 presented real issues such as the pipes and that they would like to avoid that again. BMO was bult on the cheap as we all know so even an earlier date might make it impossible to play there.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree why not have it at the Rogers Centre If they can get at least 35000 which I think is doable. If not Then the BMO will be fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have it as an one off thing. let's see if this is possible. if the attendance suck, at least we know just where TFC stands in the minds of Toronto sports fans
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    have it as an one off thing. let's see if this is possible. if the attendance suck, at least we know just where TFC stands in the minds of Toronto sports fans
    Buried in the back pages of the Star and the Sun...with no pictures and no highlights on TV. We definately know where TFC stands in terms of the media

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to recall earlier this year, hearing about a FO employee making some outrageous claims to the media and public that poor attendance was due to the "poor weather". Now to host a game outdoors at the beginning of March...
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people talk about the home field advantage of BMO in the cold.... but do you really think our own players are suited to the cold? I don't think so. Yeah, some Mexicans will hate it, but I think many of our players will hate it too and it'll turn out to be a shitty game that could turn on a fluke (and not necessarily turn our way). If I was confident our players could play well in sub-zero teh way that Mexicans play well at altitude, I'd say go for it.... but I wouldn't say we've had many good cold weather March/April games in the past.

I'd go for Skydome if scheduling makes it possible. It's not like Santos Laguna played that well in Montreal under the controlled conditions of a dome. Montreal won 2-0. It was only in Mexico that Montreal had the collapse of the century.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope MLSE can market the be-jesus out of this match over the next months and create a real buzz back on this club.

I think SkyDome would be better, but we'll see. Aren't they putting in new grass next year? That's what I heard. It may not be ready for this match.

I also hope they give us first crack at tickets, because I would cry if I can't get tickets to this!!
    ˇVamos Celta!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be kind of awesome if we were at BMO...and this happened again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...izzard_of_2008

it was March 8, 2008 that it hit Toronto the hardest...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be kind of awesome if we were at BMO...and this happened again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...izzard_of_2008

it was March 8, 2008 that it hit Toronto the hardest...
    How would this be awesome Wagner?! HA HA HA HA!
    ˇVamos Celta!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    yeah. for the love of footy god let's not tempt fate. lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logistically, if the match can be played at BMO Field, it's a no brainer. However, if we experience a winter that is reminiscent of last year, I think Rogers Centre would be a great alternative and a unique experience for TFC supporters. I have watched 2 friendlies at the Rogers Centre and the sightlines are decent.

I'm just thrilled that we are having this discussion in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get your hopes up at Rogers Centre.

1) they have MLSE over a barrel in terms of pricing.

2) Spring Fling will be there during march break.
    http://www.rogerscentre.com/events/a...24_144452_8684 (i understand the link is for 2011...but it happens every year, and is already booked for next year)

I do agree with OT in terms of pricing, etc...pack the place.
    Whatever SSH's don't buy, sell to soccer clubs for like $5 a kid.
    Looks like we will have first leg at home (will find out tonight after Pumas vs Tauro)

"h. In the Quarterfinal Round the four Group Winners will play the first leg away from home and the second leg at home."

"The first legs of the Quarterfinals will be played March 6–8, 2012, and the second legs will be played March 13–15, 2012"

Roger Center has nothing scheduled March 6-8 but has Disney on Ice March 14 - 18.

So if Tauro win we could be bumped from Rogers Center by Disney on Ice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Speaking to the business decision, MLSE has put every fibre of their corporate being into keeping prices high and maintaining the image of scarcity. I have a lot of trouble imagining that they would suddenly go down the "let's get 50,000 fannies at $20 a pop" route...
    Of course, if Rogers buys MLSE, that could change things, they want to promote Skydome. But probably not soon enough to influence what they do with this decision.

Speaking to the onfield decision, hell yeah, let's play it in a snowstorm.

Yes, but how are those business decisions working out these days? How are the renewals going?

OldTimer is right, this game can be used a "new beginning" in marketing. They have to do something to pull the team off the back pages off the newspapers, so to speak.

Onfield, sure, BMO, but for the first time here it feels like this team will be competitive for years - so if they need one "media game" for marketing they could do it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

I understand the photo is a Hand Egg game...but you get the idea...
    we'd all remember the big CCL win in the snow.
    Last edited by Wagner; 10-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rogers involvement in soccer is an interesting development.

Rogers now owns Setanta Canada and by refusing GolTV in HD is clearly looking to squeeze that station out of the market and control the content.

Perhaps they could have MLSE over a bit of a barrel with respect to playing at BMO early. Perhaps some rent concessions could be made in exchange for content rights to broadcast TFC games on their Premium Setanta channel

And of course, if the sale of MLSE happens and it goes to Rogers, well, that is a whole new set of interesting possibilities.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong football Wagner.
    ˇVamos Celta!