Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i don't see any quotes by paul mariner
    my bad, the quote was from Paul Scope. Does seem like Mariner is keen on getting this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mariner hasn't said nothing...the bermuda guy is hyping up one of his own countryman...until he is signed, i don't see anything to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is there a realistic chance of keeping Eckersley? I'm not sure there is. The money in the Championship is DP money in the MLS.
    He might possibly be on high wages for the Championship. He signed to Burnley when the where in the EPL and when he was still wanted by Man Utd, which points to higher wages than standard Championship ones.

There may have been relgation clause in the contract to scale the wages back though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not worried about the whole Frings going home situation. I have a German professor this year and we basically learn about German society half the time in lecture. They're a very close people and Germany always comes first to them. Whatever. As long as he's happy here, and will be back soon, I'm happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings comes here kicks ass, leads the team, motivates everyone to play their best, and brings it on the training ground and in game. If he is that committed and effective I don't care if he's on the first flight back home when the season ends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no rocket scientist, but this suggests to me only one of Frei / Kocic is coming back next year (despite some direct quotes from PM).

http://www.futsalcanada.ca/index.php...ith-toronto-fc

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm no rocket scientist, but this suggests to me only one of Frei / Kocic is coming back next year (despite some direct quotes from PM).

Many squads have 3 GKs. It doesn't necessarily indicate anything of the sort (although it could).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It only says he's trialing. That's very different from signing. If you trial him and he is worth a spot on the roster you have 2 keepers that have shown their ability within the league that can be shopped for other pieces to help the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Junior Burgos (2011 second or third round pick) will join TFC for a possible trial. I think that's what this Spanish tweet says. My Spanish is not that good.

http://twitter.com/#!/francosy

@juniorburgos10 entrará en planes de Aron Winter para '12 con el #TorontoFC tras conseguir perm. de trabajo. #mls #salvadorenosenelexterior

21 hours ago via Twitter for Android

http://twitter.com/#!/juniorburgos1

good things happen to those who wait!! Patience

21 hours ago via web

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings has had a translator before...plata/yourassowsky had one too...again thats a poor excuse when they have used translators in the past
    My German can use a bit of work, but even I don't feel he's always had the best representation via his translator and it's a shame; in German, he really is quite gracious and it just doesn't come across the same way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    My German can use a bit of work, but even I don't feel he's always had the best representation via his translator and it's a shame; in German, he really is quite gracious and it just doesn't come across the same way.
    it's partially because people don't know how to use translators properly. say like a sentence of two at a time, wait for translation, then continue on.

so the translator doesn't get overwhelmed trying to remember ten sentences and then convert them into another language. you lose little of your meaning this way
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife speaks German and she translates for me. She says the same thing about his interviews, however, sometimes the translator will put a positive spin on stuff that he issues with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I've got to say that, from the interviews, it seemed like the two already had a feeling they wouldn't both be here in 2012.. whether that be from having been explicitly told, off the record, by the coaches (asked to keep it hush, for now) or just from the signs -- Kocic playing in spite of Frei's return to fitness and now this new trial we're hearing of.

Something about Frei's demeanour, when asked about whether he wanted to stay with the club, seemed off, for me. The same could be said for Kocic, but in a more positive/happy way.

Anyone else get this feeling, from watching the interviews?

Would hurt to lose either, at this point.. as it's a great problem to have and both are great characters and team-players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think it may just be, because Frei hasn't played lately, even after his injury had healed. So you can see him being a bit down or subdued, after being the undisputed #1 for so long.

Just a reminder of what Mariner said in this article: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/24...oalies-one-net

TFC has team options for next season on both players and would prefer to use them.

“There is a lot of pressure on the goalkeepers within the system,” said director of player development Paul Mariner.

“When you are going cross-border all the time, playing 50 odd games, it really does take a toll on (the) body.

“We’re going to try (to keep both of them). You’re well off with both.”
    I bet they would like to keep both -- but it's prudent to investigate your options, in case they need to make a trade or clear some cap space to get specific players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it's partially because people don't know how to use translators properly. say like a sentence of two at a time, wait for translation, then continue on.

so the translator doesn't get overwhelmed trying to remember ten sentences and then convert them into another language. you lose little of your meaning this way
    To be fair, I've noticed that a bit, as well.. but I don't think he's near as bad as some, with that sort of thing -- once in awhile, if memory serves or he'll do it for one sentence and then get a hint that his translator might be struggling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

A good simultaneous translator can handle that no problem -- but yeah TFC probably doesn't have one of those for post-game interviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them both too, but it seems a little luxurious to have two very capable keepers in a league where some teams are struggling mightily at the spot, and TFC still needs increased quality at other positions.

First thing I'd do is call Vancouver and see if they want to swap one for chiumiento, who they probably consider surplus at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Winter/Mariner have said, they're hoping to find a good CB within MLS. Does anybody know a team that has an extra CB (that is good), but really needs a good goalie?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I think Winter/Mariner have said, they're hoping to find a good CB within MLS. Does anybody know a team that has an extra CB (that is good), but really needs a good goalie?
    DCU needs a GK. Brandon McDonald isn't extra, but he's solid. Why we couldn't get in on it when he was moved (SJ moved him to DC for an allocation in June, when there was talk he might be trying Europe next year) is beyond me.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    DCU needs a GK. Brandon McDonald isn't extra, but he's solid. Why we couldn't get in on it when he was moved (SJ moved him to DC for an allocation in June, when there was talk he might be trying Europe next year) is beyond me.
    DC has Billy Hamid who has been called up to the US National Team the last couple times to back-up Tim Howard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC should keep Frei and Kocic. Depth in goal is a wonderful problem to have, and it will provide insurance in one of the most crucial areas of the pitch. Winter can rotate them to start the season next year and play the hot hand when necessary based on their form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an MLS context, you aren't likely to get much for a keeper, it's just "too easy" to get an MLS calibre keeper.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shortly after making his debut for Toronto FC in 2009, Stefan Frei became the first-choice keeper and hasn't looked back since.
    Though the team has never been able to make the playoffs, Frei has proven to be a certifiable cornerstone of the team.
    He has become, without question, one of the top goalkeepers in the MLS. Even with recent competition from friend and Toronto teammate Milos Kocic, Frei has managed to keep his stock up and is looking ready to make a switch to the Old Continent.
    He is a great shot-stopper, making unbelievable first- and second-chance opportunity saves. While his box presence could still use some work—as he tends to get lost on set pieces—there is no ceiling on his potential. The only questions are when and where.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-europe/page/4

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As undersized as they come, Plata hasn't let his physical limitations stop him from being a force in the MLS.
    Plata isn't owned by the MLS, having been loaned out from his home club LDU Quito (Ecuador). He has taken well to the system in place in Toronto, however, and makes up for his small stature with his high work rate.
    The point needs to be made though.
    What is the smallest player around doing playing in such a physical league? Surely Plata would have less limitation and issues playing in a less-athletic league. Nevertheless, Plata still manages to be a difference maker, but as he grows up his quality will not be unnoticed.
    His size will not hold him back, a move to Europe is inevitable and if he chooses the right league, like a Eredivisie, he could be successful.
    I cannot wait till the day they pull out the Lion King cele and do a Rafiki Circle of Life hold up with the little man.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-europe/page/8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Frei a lot, and hope he stays. Especially given how much he was hung out to dry in some games this year, like home agains Philadelphia. He deserves to share in TFC's success when it comes more than anyone else on the team in my opinion.

I don't think he's Europe bound though. As much as I like him, I don't think he's at that level.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21 January – 15 April: the countdown is on for the transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can players be signed before that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC has Billy Hamid who has been called up to the US National Team the last couple times to back-up Tim Howard
    Not sure it means he's an elite GK. Those callups shocked the hell out of everyone, most of all Hamid.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...s-telemarketer
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

finalmente recibi hoy mi tarjeta de residencia permanente de los estados unidos. Gracias a dios. ahora me enfoco en el futbol.

Junior Burgos finally gets his permanent resident status; he can now leave and re-enter the US, not only to come here, but to play for El Salvador...another wide left player with promise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the same with the Spanish translations, they are not direct translations, they are "basically what he is saying is...", and my Spanish isn't even that great but I can totally pick up on it. Whole thoughts are missing some times.

It totally takes away from the personality of the interviewee.