Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not arguing that those things don't cause turnover. The point is that the turnover caused by the expansion draft is more avoidable than the reasons you listed above.
    Out of curiosity, would you put something in place of it, or simply get rid of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what I have watched so far contract status (this list is purely based on the interviews today except for where contracts are known):

Omphroy: uncertain
    Iro: out of contract; would like to say; in discussions with the club
    Henry: seems to be signed
    Morgan: seems to be signed
    de Guzman: is signed thru 2012
    Plata: loan finished; wants to come back to Toronto-still working on details
    Avila: contract expired; looking to sign a new deal
    Johnson: option year
    Sturgis: uncertain
    Cann: two (2) year contract has expired; has two (2) option years-he wasn't sure what that exactly meant
    Makubuya: uncertain
    Koevermans: apparently has two (2) years left
    Stinson: seems to be signed
    Cordon: uncertain
    Bouchiba: says he will likely be back (was he given a 2 year contract)
    Soolsma: signed for next year
    Yourassowsky: uncertain; interview revealed nothing
    Harden: option year
    Griffit: uncertain
    Frings: apparently has two (2) years left
    Dunfield: uncertain; wants to talk with manager and see from there; wouldn't speak to whether he has an option or not
    Frei: option year; staying in Toronto is up to the coaches
    Borman: contract expired; made no indication that he really wanted to come back
    Gold: uncertain
    Eckersley: loan finished; uncertain; 18 months left on his contract with Burnley (who have not talked with him)
    Zavarise: uncertain
    Davies: uncertain
    Kocic: option year; up to the coaches; wants to see the team grow and be part of it
    Williams: contract expired; would love to come back
    Martina: uncertain
    Lindsay: uncertain
    Viator: uncertain
    Marosevic: GA contract expired; has two (2) option years;

will continue to update as i keep watching
    Last edited by prizby; 10-25-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eckersley, Plata want extended stay with Toronto FC

Don't know if this has been brought up but I would love to have both back on board for next year.

Eckersley, Plata want extended stay with Toronto FC

TORONTO – Defender Richard Eckersley and forward Joao Plata both said Monday they are keen to stay with Toronto FC, and the feeling from TFC is mutual.
    Plata (above) and Eckersley were both on loan to Toronto FC during the 2011 season, but head coach and technical director Aron Winter said he is trying to keep them.
    “Of course, we’re going to try to keep them because we’re now in discussion with [Major League Soccer] and with the teams,” Winter said Monday at the club’s end-of-season media conference. “We got them on loan but we have to wait. We’re going to try to keep them, at least.”
    Both first-year players in the league were among the positives on a squad that missed the league playoffs for the fifth year in a row. However they did help to salvage the season by reaching the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals to be played next March. Toronto qualified last Tuesday by beating FC Dallas 3-0 with Plata scoring twice and assisting on the first goal by Danny Koevermans.
    Eckersley, 22, is on loan from the English League Championship side Burnley. Meanwhile Plata, 19, is on loan from LDU Quito in his native Ecuador and he made telling contributions for TFC, scoring three goals with five assists in 26 league games. Plata flourished in CCL play, adding four goals in five games as Toronto progressed. Eckersley played 23 league games, 22 of them starts, and six CCL games as he became a crucial member of the solid Reds defense, which gave Winter’s side the platform to lose just twice since the start of August.
    Plata is hoping to extend his stay at BMO field, after enjoying an encouraging second half of the season.
    “We’re definitely working on [staying with Toronto],” Plata said Monday through a translator. “I love the team, love the city and I really hope to be here next year. My agent continues to talk with both teams. I’m hoping for the best. I hope to be here next year.”
    The young Ecuadorian also spoke highly of playing for Dutchman Winter.
    “[He] was also a world-class soccer player so there’s a lot to learn from that,” Plata said. “Aside from that, on a personal level, he’s a very personable coach. He get’s the best out of you and I’m very happy with what he’s brought to the table.”
    Eckersley, a Salford, England native, said he has not heard from his parent club and has gained a lot from his spell at TFC.
    “I’ve got 18 months left on my contract at Burnley,” Eckersley said. “I’ve enjoyed my time [with Toronto FC]. It’s a great club. I think it’s going in the right direction so I think any player really, if you’re with a club like that, you want to stay. I think they’ve showed a lot more interest in me than Burnley. I have to respect that.”
    The lack of communication from Burnley has left Eckersley mulling over his options on both sides of the pond.
    “That’s what is probably the most disappointing thing because I don’t know, to be honest.” Eckersley said. “They’ve invested money in me and they don’t care. I don’t know. They’ve not contacted me and that’s it.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...tay-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At realsports he said if he plays one more game for Burnley, they have to pay a final significant sum to ManU and they have to pay wages that manu was still covering. The wage rate was a shocker - way over DP cash. That deal will end as per quote above and the amount TFC would need to kick in might exceed 300k but not be DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    At realsports he said if he plays one more game for Burnley, they have to pay a final significant sum to ManU and they have to pay wages that manu was still covering. The wage rate was a shocker - way over DP cash. That deal will end as per quote above and the amount TFC would need to kick in might exceed 300k but not be DP.
    he as in mariner or he as in eckersley?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope both are back next year. If we lose 'em, then it's back to square one at two positions that were more than adequately filled by their shoes this year. And right back in particular has been a problem spot forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're screwed if we don't retain them and have them as part of the core moving forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings uncertain? I thought he signed for 2 years like Koevermans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    yep. signed for 2.5, as did Koev.

So we have 2 more full seasons at least of Frings and Koev.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings flew home to Germany after the game and hanging with the fans at the 90(h Minute Party to enjoy some down time with his family.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    he didn't speak at the presser thats all

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    yep. signed for 2.5, as did Koev.

So we have 2 more full seasons at least of Frings and Koev.

good to know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Frings flew home to Germany after the game and hanging with the fans at the 90(h Minute Party to enjoy some down time with his family.
    i know family is important and stuff, but you'd think you'd want to have your club captain around for the closing season interviews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it strange that Frings went home immediately and didnt stay for post season interviews, hopefully his family in Germany is alright.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me just start of by saying that i take extreme pleasure in the fact that this thread may, in fact, be quieter than in previous years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Jamie Peters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I found it strange that Frings went home immediately and didnt stay for post season interviews, hopefully his family in Germany is alright.
    Yeah strange from our point of view, but this is his first playing assignment outside of Germany, probably used to seeing his family everyday and now hasn't been home for months. I can't blame him for wanting to get back ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Yeah strange from our point of view, but this is his first playing assignment outside of Germany, probably used to seeing his family everyday and now hasn't been home for months. I can't blame him for wanting to get back ASAP.
    i thought his family had moved with him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i thought his family had moved with him
    His wife and kids did. Siblings, parents, cousins, in laws etc prob did not. I can see a guy who's never played outside the country being homesick after being away from home for the first time ever for 3-4 months. It's understandable. Besides, it's getting cold. I could go for a vacation too lol. Hope he tells his bundesliga friends nothing but amazing things about Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mariner + Winter should take the annual "Mo Johnston" trip down to South America, except they should actually scout players we can use.

Skip brazil, definitely hit Columbia and some of the smaller leagues.

Hold the stories about getting Corinthians' 18 year old 15M EUR striker as your DP.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS picked up some decent Brazilians this year...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings is doing this on his terms, not ours. He gave us a full effort on the field, but that's all he wants to do. Better to realize that.

It's fine by me.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

big deal, dude went back home to visit fam, im more than certain the FO gave their approval and rightfully so. we love to make mountains outta molehills here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    MLS picked up some decent Brazilians this year...
    Actually now that you mention it, I take it back. There were quite a few loan deals that worked out for MLS teams (FCD and LA Galaxy come to mind).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to mention, Mariner clearly said that they would prefer to keep both Kocic and Frei -- see end of the article http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/24...oalies-one-net

TFC has team options for next season on both players and would prefer to use them.

“There is a lot of pressure on the goalkeepers within the system,” said director of player development Paul Mariner.

“When you are going cross-border all the time, playing 50 odd games, it really does take a toll on (the) body.

“We’re going to try (to keep both of them). You’re well off with both.”
    Obviously, that's if possible -- and he also mentions the difficulty of the salary cap a couple of times in various articles, for issues such as keeping Eckersley, and having decent depth at every position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i know family is important and stuff, but you'd think you'd want to have your club captain around for the closing season interviews
    Some of the media were talking about this on Twitter. Apparently Frings isn't doing interviews right now because he is uncomfortable with his English. It's apparently better than he gives himself credit for - but that's the reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Some of the media were talking about this on Twitter. Apparently Frings isn't doing interviews right now because he is uncomfortable with his English. It's apparently better than he gives himself credit for - but that's the reason.
    Frings has had a translator before...plata/yourassowsky had one too...again thats a poor excuse when they have used translators in the past

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a realistic chance of keeping Eckersley? I'm not sure there is. The money in the Championship is DP money in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ but the thing is, he's not established as a Championship player, so why would we pay him championship wages? The club doesn't rate him, and all the teams that took him on loan were league two or league one.

Providing he's wiling to take on a reasonable salary, I think TFC should be able to come up with the allocation money to pay his transfer fee. All said and done, it would probably be half the amount we paid for Pablo Vitti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone heard anything on this guy? Quotes from Paul Mariner in the article but I haven't heard anything.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Junky View Post
    Anyone heard anything on this guy? Quotes from Paul Mariner in the article but I haven't heard anything.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19429
    i don't see any quotes by paul mariner