Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2012 Off-Season TFC player movement thread

For once the team won't be totally blown up and rebuilt at the end of the season.

Post any trades, rumoured trades, discovery signings, rumoured discovery signings, etc. here.

Credit to [NBF] for starting a similar thread last year. This is just an update
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-19-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: add credit
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does a list of available free agents exist anywhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are jumping the gun that we've turned the table, this team has not had one single offseason without a drama story for the headlines.

My guess is the next story will be either we will lose a good depth player in the offseason or we will lose one of our coaches to another team like the Impact or Whitecaps, but mark my words we will lose someone the team values.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    You are jumping the gun that we've turned the table, this team has not had one single offseason without a drama story for the headlines.

My guess is the next story will be either we will lose a good depth player in the offseason or we will lose one of our coaches to another team like the Impact or Whitecaps, but mark my words we will lose someone the team values.
    I said:

For once the team won't be totally blown up and rebuilt at the end of the season.
    Sure there is a lot of work to do. It just won't be a complete burn down and rebuild. Or do you expect 40 new players to pass through the gates next year? If so, why? I used the word totally for a reason.

I expect that we will lose a player or two that we won't want to. We'll still have to add to the defense. Probably less than 8 players will be needed.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to think Stefan Frei will not be here next season and will be sold to a club in the uk

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's far more like Frei is traded to another MLS team. He hasn't shown the consistent improvement he did during his first two seasons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kocic has shown that he is an MLS calibre goaltender, and just needed some playing time to prove it. Frei could probably be traded for some good D help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still expect a fair amount of turnover. This is MLS afterall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 MLS expansion draft details:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...xpansion-draft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder what the rules are about protecting goalkeepers. Wondering if we'll have to leave one unprotected?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A topic id like to see discussed would be which current MLS Players would you like to see come onto Toronto FCs roster next year?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll pick 4th in the superdraft, as we'll finish in 16th place (ie 3rd worse).

Even if we win and SJ lose Saturday, which would tie us for 15th on points, our head to head was a sawoff (2 1-1 draws), but SJ would be "ahead" of us based on their far better goal differential (assuming I'm right that the draft order tiebreak is head-to-head, then goal differential).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The Rebuilding Since 2008 Thread, Ver.3: Oh NO! I BumRushed ur thread

Well, although we can't say that we've gained much ground since the first edition of this thread last season. We can at least say that we've gotten in some ways what we wanted for a Head Coach and for a Technical Director.

Aron Winter, was named Head Coach & Technical Director in January of 2011 and has shown that he can bring in the "big signings" based on his name recognition, which will go a long way to further develop the team in to a playoffs contender for the 2012 season.

So far, Winter hasn't delivered results in the 2011 MLS season, but has built a decent and promising roster that has more quality and technical ability than the 2010 team or any other TFC team.

Some players are capable of playing the "system" that Aron Winter wants the team to play and some are capable depth players.

Here is a list of both types of players who should hold down a spot on the team for the 2012 season; those who are starters(underlined and are in bold) and those who are depth players(placed in their normal position under the starters):

4-3-3:

*Where its listed (1.Vacant) those are positions without a consistent starting player to fill the position and where it has a number that is the level of priority.

------------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
    ------------------------------------Kocic-----------------------------------
    (3.Vacant)-------------Iro------------------(1.Vacant)--------(2.Vacant)
    Viator----------------Williams--------------------Henry---------------Morgan
    Davies---------------------------------------------------------------Borman
    ---------------------------------Frings(DP)--------------------------------
    ---------------------------------(6.Vacant)--------------------------------
    ---------------------Avila---------------------(5.Vacant)------------------
    --------------------Stinson----------------------Griffit----------------------
    --------------------Cordon-------------------------------------------------
    Martina------------------------------------------------------------Johnson
    Marosevic-----------------------Koevermans-----------------------Zavarise
    Soolsma--------------------------(4.Vacant)--------------------------Lindsay
    ----------------------------------Makubuya--------------------------------

Total: 23 out of 30.

Canadians: 8 players, who have each at least one game
    Americans: 3 players, who show value and meet MLS requirements
    Internationals: 12 players, a little high, but there should be 11 starters.

The Rest Of The Players From The 2011 Team

Players on loan with TFC in 2011:

1. Eckersley, I think once he returns to Burnley, he might get reminded of what real football is like and would prefer to stay rather than take a massive step down to MLS.

2. Plata, If he is signed full-time, I think it would be wise to strengthen the left back and centre back roles to allow for Plata to stay forward on the attack where he would be more of an impact.

Players who played for TFC, but should be waived:

1. Bouchiba, who is this guy? The invisible man?

2. Sturgis, he never closes anyone down and never bothers to tackle anyone. His playing style can be considered similar to a "taller" player in his position, but he is not much physically imposing than Plata.

3. Harden, he is good at central defender, but his change of direction is too wide and he does not have the speed to keep up. Plain and simple, he's too slow.

4. Gold, hasn't really done much to say he has something to offer and is too similar to Sturgis, but with a lesser sense of trying to fill space.

5. Omphroy, he must be hanging out with Bouchiba somewhere, because I have never seen him.

Players on the bubble or contract runs out:

1. DeGuzman, contract runs out after 2011 season. Should be resigned on high salary non-DP contract. No more than Ryan Johnson.

2. Dunfield, he would make a good depth player, but only if Avila is the new starting central midfielder, and DeGuzman is not resigned.

3. Cann, contract runs out after the 2011 season. Should be resigned for depth if no other centre back is signed as a DP or starting centre back.

2012 MLS SuperDraft:

Round 1: Natural pick & 2nd pick from NYRB for DeRosario.
    Round 2: No picks. Traded it for Dasan Robinson
    Round 3: Natural pick & 2nd pick from Rapids for Joseph Nane.
    Round 4: Natural pick.

Draft Strategy: Lets build from back to front!

Note: This is the same as last year with a few minor changes, but the priorities are still the same

STRIKERS: Select the best striker in the 2012 Draft and put him up front to start or move him to the right wing to get playing experience. Likewise, if the Striker is a left footed player that can be used as a left winger. Versatility is the key here since there's not much finishing skill in the strikers coming from the college draft. A target man would be great but not if he will be a statute waiting for crosses from our left or right backs. Striker is priority #4.

MIDFIELDERS: Finding "blue-collar" midfielders is a priority. Players like Marosevic & Avila that are all effort with some technique would be ideal for depth. These players are definitely available in the college draft. A solid centre-midfield leader is priority #5 & a defensive midfielder is a priority #6.

DEFENDERS: The epich centre back search is on going for the 6th season. Any player thats in the draft will not be the answer that we need unless TFC uses the draft to trade for a player named Dejan Jakovic. Centre Back is priority #1, and Left Back is priority #2, and right back is priority #3.

GOALKEEPERS: Drafting a Goalkeeper is not a priority, but if there's one available with some promise maybe draft him and loan him out. Goalkeeper is priority #7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that Deguzman is on contract through next season.

And Omphroy is being groomed as a forward as opposed to his usual RB position that he played in college, so he'll still be around next year I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presenting the man we must get in the upcoming MLS draft:

Andrew Wenger (no relation)

6'0
    175 lbs
    Defender
    20 years old

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204766622

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Apparently we're already targeting him. Paul Mariner was on Duke's campus early September.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see Harden going anywhere soon, I think the coaches see something in him, some potential.

He certainly has improved greatly this season. I see him as a depth player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Well, although we can't say that we've gained much ground since the first edition of this thread last season. We can at least say that we've gotten in some ways what we wanted for a Head Coach and for a Technical Director.

Aron Winter, was named Head Coach & Technical Director in January of 2011 and has shown that he can bring in the "big signings" based on his name recognition, which will go a long way to further develop the team in to a playoffs contender for the 2012 season.

So far, Winter hasn't delivered results in the 2011 MLS season, but has built a decent and promising roster that has more quality and technical ability than the 2010 team or any other TFC team.

Some players are capable of playing the "system" that Aron Winter wants the team to play and some are capable depth players.

Here is a list of both types of players who should hold down a spot on the team for the 2012 season; those who are starters(underlined and are in bold) and those who are depth players(placed in their normal position under the starters):

4-3-3:

*Where its listed (1.Vacant) those are positions without a consistent starting player to fill the position and where it has a number that is the level of priority.

------------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
    ------------------------------------Kocic-----------------------------------
    (3.Vacant)-------------Iro------------------(1.Vacant)--------(2.Vacant)
    Viator----------------Williams--------------------Henry---------------Morgan
    Davies---------------------------------------------------------------Borman
    ---------------------------------Frings(DP)--------------------------------
    ---------------------------------(6.Vacant)--------------------------------
    ---------------------Avila---------------------(5.Vacant)------------------
    --------------------Stinson----------------------Griffit----------------------
    --------------------Cordon-------------------------------------------------
    Martina------------------------------------------------------------Johnson
    Marosevic-----------------------Koevermans-----------------------Zavarise
    Soolsma--------------------------(4.Vacant)--------------------------Lindsay
    ----------------------------------Makubuya--------------------------------

Total: 23 out of 30.

Canadians: 8 players, who have each at least one game
    Americans: 3 players, who show value and meet MLS requirements
    Internationals: 12 players, a little high, but there should be 11 starters.

The Rest Of The Players From The 2011 Team

Players on loan with TFC in 2011:

1. Eckersley, I think once he returns to Burnley, he might get reminded of what real football is like and would prefer to stay rather than take a massive step down to MLS.

2. Plata, If he is signed full-time, I think it would be wise to strengthen the left back and centre back roles to allow for Plata to stay forward on the attack where he would be more of an impact.

Players who played for TFC, but should be waived:

1. Bouchiba, who is this guy? The invisible man?

2. Sturgis, he never closes anyone down and never bothers to tackle anyone. His playing style can be considered similar to a "taller" player in his position, but he is not much physically imposing than Plata.

3. Harden, he is good at central defender, but his change of direction is too wide and he does not have the speed to keep up. Plain and simple, he's too slow.

4. Gold, hasn't really done much to say he has something to offer and is too similar to Sturgis, but with a lesser sense of trying to fill space.

5. Omphroy, he must be hanging out with Bouchiba somewhere, because I have never seen him.

Players on the bubble or contract runs out:

1. DeGuzman, contract runs out after 2011 season. Should be resigned on high salary non-DP contract. No more than Ryan Johnson.

2. Dunfield, he would make a good depth player, but only if Avila is the new starting central midfielder, and DeGuzman is not resigned.

3. Cann, contract runs out after the 2011 season. Should be resigned for depth if no other centre back is signed as a DP or starting centre back.

2012 MLS SuperDraft:

Round 1: Natural pick & 2nd pick from NYRB for DeRosario.
    Round 2: No picks. Traded it for Dasan Robinson
    Round 3: Natural pick & 2nd pick from Rapids for Joseph Nane.
    Round 4: Natural pick.
    Sorry but your choice of Martina is very puzzling...he's SHOWN ALMOST nothing and hasn't even been playing for the reserves...he's got no future here...and Harden has shown amazing improvement the past 2 months, probably thanks to the coaching and should definitely be signed as a backup CB..Also don't be quick to write off Eckersley...he's dating a Canadian girls, absolutely LOVES the city, and will get a big pay upgrade this winter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata is the one guy they are going to need to work to hang onto. JDG is with us for another season, and at this point, I'd probably be glad to have him. He has had a huge turnaround since the transfer window - he genuinely looks inspired right now.

Dunfield and Cann are the other two guys we are going to need to make a decision on - Dunfield is solid depth, and Cann barely played due to his injury, so his leaving wouldn't dramatically later the complexion of the team we've got right now.

I expect most of the roster changes to be made on defense, and swapping out depth players like Sturgis and Omphroy. Plata is the one big wild card, for me. Ecks has been good too, but not irreplacable.

I wish I had a good idea of what our cap situation looks like right now.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    *groan*

I really wish they'd do away with this thing, or knock down the number of picks the other team gets to something like 5. It just creates a stupid amount of turnover in a league where players don't stick around long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    *groan*

I really wish they'd do away with this thing, or knock down the number of picks the other team gets to something like 5. It just creates a stupid amount of turnover in a league where players don't stick around long.
    Stupid amount of turnover? Just over half the teams lose 1 player each, how's that a stupid amount of turnover?

There are a lot more things "wrong" about MLS that cause player turnover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Sorry but your choice of Martina is very puzzling...he's SHOWN ALMOST nothing and hasn't even been playing for the reserves...he's got no future here...and Harden has shown amazing improvement the past 2 months, probably thanks to the coaching and should definitely be signed as a backup CB..Also don't be quick to write off Eckersley...he's dating a Canadian girls, absolutely LOVES the city, and will get a big pay upgrade this winter.
    I've taken to ignoring him, since there's also fun things like:

Iro plays LCB, not RCB.
    JDG is signed through the 2012 season as far as we know.
    There are only 6 internationals on his list to stick around.

Not even going to comment on the fact that "demoting" Morgan at this point is ridiculous, and thinking that Viator and Borman will be kept on is silly (depending on their contracts of course, might be stuck with them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Presenting the man we must get in the upcoming MLS draft:

Andrew Wenger (no relation)

6'0
    175 lbs
    Defender
    20 years old

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204766622
    How much different of a player is he compared to Davies or Henry? It's interesting to be targeting him, but do we really need another young CB that's not going to get any playing time?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    I've taken to ignoring him, since there's also fun things like:

Iro plays LCB, not RCB.
    JDG is signed through the 2012 season as far as we know.
    There are only 6 internationals on his list to stick around.

Not even going to comment on the fact that "demoting" Morgan at this point is ridiculous, and thinking that Viator and Borman will be kept on is silly (depending on their contracts of course, might be stuck with them).
    he says a lot of silly stuff. I discount his opinions.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much different of a player is he compared to Davies or Henry? It's interesting to be targeting him, but do we really need another young CB that's not going to get any playing time?
    Could be Davies and Henry will get a lot more playing time next year or they're looking at a more experience CB as a starter. Depends what they do with Williams and Cann.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Could be Davies and Henry will get a lot more playing time next year or they're looking at a more experience CB as a starter. Depends what they do with Williams and Cann.
    And Iro and Harden. Have a tonne of CBs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Plata is the one guy they are going to need to work to hang onto. JDG is with us for another season, and at this point, I'd probably be glad to have him. He has had a huge turnaround since the transfer window - he genuinely looks inspired right now.
    I'd leave JDG protected because no matter how well he's been playing lately, he's replaceable, leaving a DP spot open.
    Dunfield and Cann are the other two guys we are going to need to make a decision on - Dunfield is solid depth, and Cann barely played due to his injury, so his leaving wouldn't dramatically later the complexion of the team we've got right now.
    Dunfield is also replaceable. Stinson, Gold and Sturgis can play his position, and lately, he hasn't really shined in the games he has played.

Cann might be a bit trickier because I'm not sure if Winter wants to resign an aging CB who probably lost a bit of pace that he never had much in first place, and he's got two similar CBs in Harden and Iro. Tempt Mtl with Cann and let them deal with Cann's contract issue.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Yeah, unless this kid turns out to be a stud CB with a lot of pace who can contribute right away, why sign another kid who'll rot on the bench?

While I have faith in Mariner in signing the right kids from the draft, I think TFC should be looking at a depth striker/winger from the draft.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Yeah, unless this kid turns out to be a stud CB with a lot of pace who can contribute right away, why sign another kid who'll rot on the bench?

While I have faith in Mariner in signing the right kids from the draft, I think TFC should be looking at a depth striker/winger from the draft.
    Depth striker might be covered though with Vukovic (sp?) from the Academy.

Pick the best player available in my mind. If that happens to be a CB, so be it. If that's a GK, so be it. Better to have trading chips than to have someone who "fills a need" for depth. I strongly believe that noone we get in the draft is going to be a starter for us next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depth striker might be covered though with Vukovic (sp?) from the Academy.

Pick the best player available in my mind. If that happens to be a CB, so be it. If that's a GK, so be it. Better to have trading chips than to have someone who "fills a need" for depth. I strongly believe that noone we get in the draft is going to be a starter for us next year.
    Anyone got a good scouting report on Vukovic? Is he a small striker/AM?

-Eduardo Galeano