Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Montreal to announce first MLS signing

As per Luke Wileman's twitter:

Montreal Impact will announce their first @MLS signing at a press conference tomorrow
    http://twitter.com/#!/LukeWileman/st...66991428927488

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KiKi Musampa surely.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adam Braz
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sutton?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal's first DP will be Anelka, just you wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Stalteri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Gerba!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laurent Robert!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Montreal's first DP will be Anelka, just you wait and see.
    Ever read about what happened to Anelka at PSG? Not sure it would be smart to put him in a french speaking city with a major party scene.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ speaking of which, Anelka was at the PSG match this evening, hours after his match in Bolton.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Montreal Limpact make first MLS signing - Tyson the Giant

Colombian Nelson Rivas .. never heard of him, but apparently he played for Inter and made 1 appearance for my hometown club ..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heywood Jablome.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless it's either a "Who is that?" signing or a clearly stupid signing, cue the violins:

WHY CAN'T TFC GET A GREAT PLAYER LIKE "X"?

Just like we heard all the violins when Vancouver set up their "amazing" FO "doing everything right" and their "great" DPs (funny, with Vancouver in "wooden spoon" territory, you don't read those sentiments anymore).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who's the current captain??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Unless it's either a "Who is that?" signing or a clearly stupid signing, cue the violins:

WHY CAN'T TFC GET A GREAT PLAYER LIKE "X"?

Just like we heard all the violins when Vancouver set up their "amazing" FO "doing everything right" and their "great" DPs (funny, with Vancouver in "wooden spoon" territory, you don't read those sentiments anymore).
    Or their so-called "amazing" atmosphere. Not even BC Place could revive such a dead crowd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Or their so-called "amazing" atmosphere. Not even BC Place could revive such a dead crowd.
    its that dead? last time in was in vancouver it was a riot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nelson Rivas!!!

Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

He was at the lower end of the pecking order in Inter Milan but that doesnt mean that he couldn't start for a lower table team.

Do you guys see that already teams are getting better for next season? Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

He was at the lower end of the pecking order in Inter Milan but that doesnt mean that he couldn't start for a lower table team.

Do you guys see that already teams are getting better for next season? Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.
    ????...God here we go!!..isn't it too early too be drinking??
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing Koevermans to Mista is a pretty big insult to Koevermans. Do you see you are a little premature at getting all excited over this? Here ya go...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHY CAN'T TFC GET A GREAT PLAYER LIKE "Rivas"?

BTW, I think Montreal messed up big time with this signing. A DP defender is a waste of a DP slot. Better to get two decent $150k - $200k CBs, defense is a whole line, not just one guy, no matter how good.

Also he's been on loan the last few years. He may be well past his "best before" date. The last time he played regularly was in 2006. Nick Garcia was once considered the best defender in the league, you know. We know all too well how useful an aging, slow, defender is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Rivas
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The under lining and bolded red fonts aren't necessary on such a brilliant piece of skepticism. Mark my words...you have no idea what's going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reading about this signing I swear I saw that this "great CB" has like 20 appearances in the past 3-4 years*? Has declined fairly rapidly and has a career basically in freefall style decline since 2007/8. I'll pass. If I'm proven wrong I'm proven wrong, but I'm much happier with TFC NOT spending a penny (let alone a DP slot) on a guy like that.

*Was that with Inter alone? or all leagues/loans he went on?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

BTW, I think Montreal messed up big time with this signing. A DP defender is a waste of a DP slot. Better to get two decent $150k - $200k CBs, defense is a whole line, not just one guy, no matter how good.
    people said DMs would be waste of DPs too. just saying
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    In reading about this signing I swear I saw that this "great CB" has like 20 appearances in the past 3-4 years*? Has declined fairly rapidly and has a career basically in freefall style decline since 2007/8. I'll pass. If I'm proven wrong I'm proven wrong, but I'm much happier with TFC NOT spending a penny (let alone a DP slot) on a guy like that.

*Was that with Inter alone? or all leagues/loans he went on?
    He's averaged 8 appearances per year for the last 4 years for all clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mark My Words

Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall and quick like Marvell Wynne.

Koevermans is where Kenny Cooper was 2 years ago. Rivas was clearly signed to stop the best defenders in the league like Henry and that Irish fellow. Montreal is definitely doing it right by signing a DP defender considering that TFC can't find a Centre Back to save its massive investment to reinvent itself.

BTW, Koevermans played in the Eredivisie, which is comparable to the lower half of the teams in Serie A at best. I hope he does as good as Hassli in the league next season but I think he will have met his match with Rivas.

Like I said he will be a great signing. I am shocked they were able to entice him to go Montreal.

Also, If you look around the league, there seems to be alot of Colombians. Mondragon GK, Rivas DF, Chiarra MF, Juan Pablo Angel ST, and that MF/FW for the Seattle Sounders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For someone who's coming from the better end of europe to MLS, it seems like a pretty typical profile neither here nor there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.
    funny thing that, we've been doing it for the past few years..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    its that dead? last time in was in vancouver it was a riot!
    Was that opening day?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall and quick like Marvell Wynne.

Koevermans is where Kenny Cooper was 2 years ago. Rivas was clearly signed to stop the best defenders in the league like Henry and that Irish fellow. Montreal is definitely doing it right by signing a DP defender considering that TFC can't find a Centre Back to save its massive investment to reinvent itself.

BTW, Koevermans played in the Eredivisie, which is comparable to the lower half of the teams in Serie A at best. I hope he does as good as Hassli in the league next season but I think he will have met his match with Rivas.

Like I said he will be a great signing. I am shocked they were able to entice him to go Montreal.

Also, If you look around the league, there seems to be alot of Colombians. Mondragon GK, Rivas DF, Chiarra MF, Juan Pablo Angel ST, and that MF/FW for the Seattle Sounders.
    Wow, he really is serious!?! I was somehow hoping his first post about Nelson Rivas was sarcasm, but wow.

Yes, Nelson Rivas will tear this league a new one, I'm sure, and we've never heard that one before. With signings like this, I'm sure Montreal will be even better than Vancouver in their expansion year. It's all but guaranteed, just as we heard last year about Vancouver.

BTW, if Nelson Rivas manages to shut down Koevermans during our games against Montreal, that's not the end of the world, because TFC has done pretty well sharing the scoring load, especially in the better 2nd half of the season.

We shall see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not rivas... NOT RIVAS...!!

well fuck. now that he's in the MLS, might as well drop everything and just watch paint dry next summer. cuz, you know, FUCKING RIVAS IS GONNA TEAR THIS LEAGUE APART ASDLFJKSLDKJFSD