Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let's see Koevermans was able to crack the Dutch national team who have always had good strikers.

Sure while the Eredivisie as a whole isn't as strong as Serie A, playing with AZ and PSV, Koevermans played against some good CBs at Ajax, Twente, etc. plus let's not forget in European competition.

And while Nelson Rivas is a good player I'm sure, he only played 16 matches in 4 years with Inter. Didn't Stevanovic play at Inter too?

In the end, I'm sure Koevermans doesn't fear Nelson Rivas.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's made 16 appearances for Inter since 2007 then 17 while on loan the last two years in a lower division.

If we signed this guy all hell would break loose on these boards.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Was that opening day?
    no, it was game seven of the stanley cup.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we're talking about Danny fucking seven league goals in nine league games Koevermans here.

The man is a giant and should score 14 next year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, this is a funny thread!

So, who the f..uck is this "great" Rivas anyways?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe if Rivas was playing in the Eredivisie he would have averaged more than 8 appearances a year the last 4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He isn't being serious about Rivas is he?

Good signing (Isn't a DP btw) for Imapct, very quick, good header. Lacks concentration and communciation. Best defender in the MLS? top 5 maybe. We will see.

Would of liked him here tbh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im gonna wait before i make my decision, relatively decent pedigree but nothing to go insane over and i think anyone calling Koevermans a waste or anyhting otherwise must be watching some other player than the one thats scored 7 goals in 9 games. delusions of grandeur to say the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He's averaged 8 appearances per year for the last 4 years for all clubs.

So he's appeared (not even started) in 32 games in the past 4 seasons? Boy, the Impact better start getting that parade route ready. I'm with Gingster. Had we signed this guy, all hell would be breaking loose (I'd be FURIOUS personally). Which is to say, awesome! Fuck l'Impact

And NBF- who's DP slot would you have him take? JDG (who's played great since he had some competant players around him), Frings (the leader of this team, the most important player we've ever had), or Koevs (who has a strike rate of just under a goal a game)? If we aren't resigning JDG, I want a GOOD DP. A young south american, an up and comer, not someone parachuting in here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who really cares of Koev can't beat him one on one. As long as TFC as a whole can score, there won't be a problem. Football isn't about one or two players. There are eleven on the field. I'm sure Rivas on his own will stop TFC. We haven't even finished this season and people are already concerned? Sometimes I think people come here just to bash TFC. The truth of the matter is TFC realistically will add more players. Until this happens, don't bash the team. I trust the current FO to go out and get the players we need to win

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres nothing saying Koevs cant beat this guy on a one on one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    theres nothing saying Koevs cant beat this guy on a one on one.
    100% agree. I was just being hypothetical in response to a previous post. This guy could also destroy his knee getting off the plane and we don't even need to worry. I've never seen him play against Koevs (or anyone for that matter). My point is that let's not make decisions on who he can out play on our team until closer to April 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

He was at the lower end of the pecking order in Inter Milan but that doesnt mean that he couldn't start for a lower table team.

Do you guys see that already teams are getting better for next season? Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall and quick like Marvell Wynne.

Koevermans is where Kenny Cooper was 2 years ago. Rivas was clearly signed to stop the best defenders in the league like Henry and that Irish fellow. Montreal is definitely doing it right by signing a DP defender considering that TFC can't find a Centre Back to save its massive investment to reinvent itself.

BTW, Koevermans played in the Eredivisie, which is comparable to the lower half of the teams in Serie A at best. I hope he does as good as Hassli in the league next season but I think he will have met his match with Rivas.

Like I said he will be a great signing. I am shocked they were able to entice him to go Montreal.

Also, If you look around the league, there seems to be alot of Colombians. Mondragon GK, Rivas DF, Chiarra MF, Juan Pablo Angel ST, and that MF/FW for the Seattle Sounders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, Montreal (a team we'll play, what, four times tops next year) signs a DP centerback and all of a sudden, Danny Koevermans is useless for all of next season

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    LOL, Montreal (a team we'll play, what, four times tops next year) signs a DP centerback and all of a sudden, Danny Koevermans is useless for all of next season
    Yep. This board gets a bit crazy sometimes.

I'll just stay out of this discussion and see how things play out next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm defending my statements because I believe them to be true and as far as the comments I've made about Koevermans, I want to make the point that we make a signing in mid-season in 2011 and in the 2011 offseason another team makes a step forward to counter that signing.

Theres a constant evolution going on in MLS. The talent level has gotten better every year since the DP rule.

Eckersley, IMO would be someone worth the DP status, but he plays in a position that is of importance but not as important as the Centre Back position in MLS. Without offering money in exchange for a player in MLS there's not enough draft picks or players to pry away a good solid non DP Centre Back from a team.

So when teams like the Philadelphia Union and Vancouver Whitecaps sign DP Centre Backs it just goes to show that there's not enough quality Centre Backs in MLS. Imagine where the Vancouver White Caps would be without Jay DeMerit, yeah they're at the bottom of the league in the standings but they would be much worse if they hadn't signed someone reliable at the back. The whitecaps do suck but they also show confidence going forward on the attack, because they have DeMerit.

The Philadelphia Union on the other hand have managed to build on having a DP Centre Back and are one of the better teams in MLS due to the fact that they have found a combination of a DP Centre Back and good local centre back.IMO this is the direction we're heading with Iro on the team. All we need is a DP Centre Back.

As far as Rivas, I'm excited because we dont see players like Rivas being signed which leads me to believe that we will get rid of DeGuzman's contract and we will sign a DP Centre Back. Its evolution and if we dont make the move in the offseason we will make the move too late.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-first-signing

two year contract plus option year

rumours says Rivas is not a DP

edit: confirmed not a DP

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ontent=2189398
    Last edited by Yohan; 10-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm defending my statements because I believe them to be true and as far as the comments I've made about Koevermans, I want to make the point that we make a signing in mid-season in 2011 and in the 2011 offseason another team makes a step forward to counter that signing.

Theres a constant evolution going on in MLS. The talent level has gotten better every year since the DP rule.

Eckersley, IMO would be someone worth the DP status, but he plays in a position that is of importance but not as important as the Centre Back position in MLS. Without offering money in exchange for a player in MLS there's not enough draft picks or players to pry away a good solid non DP Centre Back from a team.

So when teams like the Philadelphia Union and Vancouver Whitecaps sign DP Centre Backs it just goes to show that there's not enough quality Centre Backs in MLS. Imagine where the Vancouver White Caps would be without Jay DeMerit, yeah they're at the bottom of the league in the standings but they would be much worse if they hadn't signed someone reliable at the back. The whitecaps do suck but they also show confidence going forward on the attack, because they have DeMerit.

The Philadelphia Union on the other hand have managed to build on having a DP Centre Back and are one of the better teams in MLS due to the fact that they have found a combination of a DP Centre Back and good local centre back.IMO this is the direction we're heading with Iro on the team. All we need is a DP Centre Back.

As far as Rivas, I'm excited because we dont see players like Rivas being signed which leads me to believe that we will get rid of DeGuzman's contract and we will sign a DP Centre Back. Its evolution and if we dont make the move in the offseason we will make the move too late.
    I am glad you are a fan. Not our manager.
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly does not have a DP CB (Carlos Valdez if you're talking about him)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal will fuck things up somehow. Ever since they fired the coach after the CCL run ended with the Santos Laguna collapse they haven't been the same.

Saputo can't buy a championship this time, and he keeps cronies like De Santis on the payroll despite a lack of success.

Things always look rosy at the beginning... remember when Vancouver signed World Cup defender Jay Demerit? Along with Rochat, everyone was saying that defense was gonna be their strength (shit, even I believed that in the spring). They ended up being one of the worst defensive teams in the league -- a little better than TFC and nobody would say Iro and Harden are anywhere close to Demerit and Rochat in talent. So Rivas could be good, he could end up being a flameout. Who knows -- it'll depend on whether his teammates are any good. And I don't trust Saputo and the boys will succeed.
    Last edited by rocker; 10-03-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is who they got....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay Demerit has appeared in 17 games so far this year, based on minutes, he has played 14.5 games, of the 30 leauge games VWFC has played...I hope Rivas puts up those same kind of numbers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Montreal will fuck things up somehow. Ever since they fired the coach after the CCL run ended with the Santos Laguna collapse they haven't been the same.

Saputo can't buy a championship this time, and he keeps cronies like De Santis on the payroll despite a lack of success.

Things always look rosy at the beginning... remember when Vancouver signed World Cup defender Jay Demerit? Along with Rochat, everyone was saying that defense was gonna be their strength (shit, even I believed that in the spring). They ended up being one of the worst defensive teams in the league -- a little better than TFC and nobody would say Iro and Harden are anywhere close to Demerit and Rochat in talent. So Rivas could be good, he could end up being a flameout. Who knows -- it'll depend on whether his teammates are any good. And I don't trust Saputo and the boys will succeed.
    to be fair to DeMerit, he was often injured and even when playing not 100%. Rochat often played out of position as well

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still fully expect TFC to beat Montreal on opening day in their own stadium.

A team is more than 1 guy, no matter how talented, and I have little fear that the boyz in Montreal know what they are doing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is getting OT, but with Koevermans the real test is can he continue to score once teams are more familiar with him? I tend to think that he will, but keep in mind this league has seen more than a few Maykel Galindo's aka guys who started off like houses on fire but were rendered useless once other teams had tape on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I still fully expect TFC to beat Montreal on opening day in their own stadium.
    We don't even know what their team looks like yet

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfellow View Post
    I am glad you are a fan. Not our manager.
    ....a fan of Montreal by the sounds of it now that this ultimate signing is happening. I feel like I should be underlining something but just not sure how to use it as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im a fan of danny k based on what ive seen, but here's my perspective:

he's scored 7 goals in games that i could care less about. score in the CCL and score next season, if he can do that i'll base my judgement off of that. not off of points that don't mean anything.

back on topic, interesting signing. really sets the precedent for the way they want their team run, it could be partially because they see him as someone who can organize the backline, it could also be partially because theyre trying to gauge what'll be open for the expansion draft. personally speaking, it wouldve made more sense to sign him after the draft, no?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And I'm sure TFC will sign players this offseason to counter Nelson Rivas...

And help guys like Frings, Koevermans, Johnson, Marosevic, Frei, Dunfield, JDG, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

He was at the lower end of the pecking order in Inter Milan but that doesnt mean that he couldn't start for a lower table team.

Do you guys see that already teams are getting better for next season? Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.
    thats why he played for more than 1 game with dnipro