Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Really Iro, are you kidding me?

Iro’s odd career path could careen to Nigeria

This sentence made me laugh:

"
    The 26-year-old is hoping that his solid performances in MLS and the CONCACAF Champions League will earn him a call-up to the Nigeria national team, and the possibility of performing in tournaments such as the World Cup and African Cup of Nations."

Solid performances? Gimme a break!

On a second thought, considering that African nations usually have crap defenses, he may have a tiny chance... lol (I don't know how is now Nigeria's defense.)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here we go again

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we should just start "I hate ______" threads for every player so that we can keep all the complaints in one place rather than start mulitiple threads and have the hate pop up everwhere. Just a thought.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Pookie and Domin8r:

I am posting a link to an article, which has a sentence like this:

""The 26-year-old is hoping that his solid performances in MLS and the CONCACAF Champions League will earn him a call-up to the Nigeria national team, and the possibility of performing in tournaments such as the World Cup and African Cup of Nations."

and you try to execute me ASAP for this!

Thanks a lot, but I'm not feeling "touche" at all!

OK, then this means you consider Iro's performances solid ones, and you're happy that he's playing for TFC. Fine. That's your opinion, you have the right to have any opinion you want.

I consider Iro's performances crap ones, he's one of the worst defenders TFC ever had, a player we should get rid of before the next season. That's my opinion, and I have the right to have any opinion I want.

Did I say I hate Iro?
    Man, so many drama queens on this board!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laugh at a player on your own team for having a dream...

Only on the RPB forums (TM)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

That and bashing players who don't play here in reference to when they did (see DeRosario, Dwayne).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lesh is right. The statement is absurd. I'm all for keeping things positive but this merit's laughter and lots of it.

Also, if you think we're the only supporters that have gripes about our own players then pass me some of what you're smoking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How DARE that bastard have a dream. I mean honestly, who does he think he is. How about this for an idea, instead of shitting on the guy, maybe cheer for him? You know, like a FAN would? Someone who SUPPORTS Toronto FC and our players? So he hasn't been great, it doesn't mean he's a piece of shit who should never put cleats on again or try and get better and DEFINITELY not hope of a national team call up. This is a supporters site, it's one thing to criticize a mistake, but a dream? I mean really, a fucking dream?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His dream of making the Nigerian National Team is a lot more likely to come true then my dream of being able to click on threads and not facepalm. I mean honestly. I'm sure when other players found out about how we treat our players when they don't play well they'll be lining up to come play for such great 'fans'.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm laughing at the idiot sports writer who considers Iro's performances in MLS and Champions League solid ones.

I'm outta here, this forum is once again 80% cheerleaders.

PS: thanks MartinUtd!
    Last edited by LesH; 10-01-2011 at 04:26 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I do appreciate the link the article. You are probably right that Iro won't be here next season for good reason. I'm just over the constant messaging that he isn't performing well. Because, at times, he does perform well.

I'm sorry, if I offended you.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    I'm laughing at the idiot sports writer who considers Iro's performances in MLS and Champions League solid ones.

I'm outta here, this forum is once again 80% cheerleaders.
    Not bashing you for posting the link, but your commentary and the sentence you picked out. It's one thing to make fun of his "solid performances", but to mock his dream of making the national team is not right. It's not about being a cheerleader, it's about being a realist. Like realistically players come on this forum (a bad idea, but they're human. I'd be curious too). Realistically their friends and families do too. It's one thing to level fair criticism at a player because of poor play (and Iro hasn't had a lot of great games so far), but to out and out make fun of the guy and mock his chances at either improving or having further football dreams is uncalled for. Realistically if I was a soccer player (or any athlete) and thinking about moving cities I'd check out the club, the city and the fans. If someone was checking the fans of Toronto FC, they'd probably come here. And this is what they see. What would you think of us as a group of people? We really rally behind our guys when times are tough for them huh. We don't just kick them when they're down, we throw dirt on em

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lesh,

Iro has indeed had some solid performances. He's also had some major brain farts.

My post was aimed at the invariable anti-Iro posts that crop up around here after losses. While no one is above criticism, Iro started his career here with a couple of very obvious and costly mistakes. That appears to have set the path for him to be run out of town by the "Whipping Boy of the Month" club. One fellow blamed Iro for a goal that was scored after he was subbed off and sitting comfortably on the bench. Others overlook times when fan favourite Eckersley gets beaten, overlook Iro's blocked shots, criticize him for someone else's marking decision and ultimately call him the "worst ever"

Again, the fellow has made mistakes and should be accountable for them.

At the same time, a huge, left footed defender with a great work ethic and locker room attitude isn't exactly someone you want to run out of town. With Cann and Williams coming back, he may not be someone you start but he could be a serviceable depth player should he resign here at the end of the season. That said, with all the criticism coming from "supporters" (see above), I'm not sure he'd make that choice.
    Last edited by Pookie; 10-01-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has had some "solid performances", and I'm happy to see he dreams of playing for his national side.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Iro may have a dream of making the Nigerian national squad, and I wish him well, but Nigeria is hurting big time if they'd even consider him. And that is a fact.

i'm easy to find, i'll be at the bottom having fun!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    @ Pookie and Domin8r:

I am posting a link to an article, which has a sentence like this:

""The 26-year-old is hoping that his solid performances in MLS and the CONCACAF Champions League will earn him a call-up to the Nigeria national team, and the possibility of performing in tournaments such as the World Cup and African Cup of Nations."

and you try to execute me ASAP for this!

Thanks a lot, but I'm not feeling "touche" at all!

OK, then this means you consider Iro's performances solid ones, and you're happy that he's playing for TFC. Fine. That's your opinion, you have the right to have any opinion you want.

I consider Iro's performances crap ones, he's one of the worst defenders TFC ever had, a player we should get rid of before the next season. That's my opinion, and I have the right to have any opinion I want.

Did I say I hate Iro?
    Man, so many drama queens on this board!
    Said the guy with the 100 word essay defending his right to have an opinion while attacking another guys opinion....damn drama queens for real lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lesh: he's had a few solid performances, and i do believe that hes let in far more goals than he's stopped, but i think what everyones trying to say is that we know that.

it's better to focus our hate on more deserving players (ie: the other team) than a guy who currently plays for us. we've been through this before with garcia, peterson, etc. i think its just a matter of having heard this stuff before.

no ill will or anything like that, thats just my two cents. good on him for wanting a crack at the national team though. its good to have goals like that, and if it makes him work that much harder to get there i got no complaints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IRO is better than Henry, Harden, Williams, and Cann

Yup, and the reason he fucks up is not because he sucks.

Its because:

1. He has noone beside him to partner in defense.
    2. Morgan is a rookie he gets beat, its not like hes as good a player as Eckersley. Harden is even slower than IRO and has the mobility of a fire truck. Eckersley is a great defender in MLS, but really all he does is highlight the massive gulf that is the area circling 3 metres around Harden.

Our backline:

----Eckersley------Harden------Iro------Morgan------

The only two players that constants on TFC's backline are Iro and Eckersley.

3. We continue to change formations against every opponent. Our back four should be a consistent group of players that know how to play together. Consistency in the selection. Like I said Iro and Eckersley are the only two guy back there.IMO our strongest lineup on defense

Eckersley-------Frings-----------Iro-----------Borman
    --------Avila----Yourassowsky---DeGuzman----------
    Marosevic------------------------------------Johnson
    ---------------------Koevermans---------------------

P.S.: If Harden wasn't weeded out of the team in February-March don't expect Iro to leave before Harden or before the start of the 2012 season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

Only on the RPB forums (TM)[/quote]

Has Iro ever even been to Nigeria?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    He has had some "solid performances", and I'm happy to see he dreams of playing for his national side.

- Scott
    Apart from he is English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Apart from he is English.
    See he could say he wants to play for England, but he is being realistic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    See he could say he wants to play for England, but he is being realistic!
    Was Owen Hargreaves being realistic when he chose England? Some people here have heavily criticized him for it despite the reality is that he was good enough to play for them. Isn't Iro another guy at the other end of the spectrum? I just find the concept of a player dreaming to play for a country he has never lived in to be quite absurd.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given Hargreaves had never lived in England when he was at Bayern Munich are you not contradicting yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Yup, and the reason he fucks up is not because he sucks.

Its because:

1. He has noone beside him to partner in defense.
    2. Morgan is a rookie he gets beat, its not like hes as good a player as Eckersley. Harden is even slower than IRO and has the mobility of a fire truck. Eckersley is a great defender in MLS, but really all he does is highlight the massive gulf that is the area circling 3 metres around Harden.

Our backline:

----Eckersley------Harden------Iro------Morgan------

The only two players that constants on TFC's backline are Iro and Eckersley.

3. We continue to change formations against every opponent. Our back four should be a consistent group of players that know how to play together. Consistency in the selection. Like I said Iro and Eckersley are the only two guy back there.IMO our strongest lineup on defense

Eckersley-------Frings-----------Iro-----------Borman
    --------Avila----Yourassowsky---DeGuzman----------
    Marosevic------------------------------------Johnson
    ---------------------Koevermans---------------------

P.S.: If Harden wasn't weeded out of the team in February-March don't expect Iro to leave before Harden or before the start of the 2012 season.
    I actually thought both Iro and Harden had good games last night. Harden in particular had a few tackles 1 on 1 that prevented NY scoring chances or breaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I am saying any player who hasn't lived in a country they play for is ridiculous. How can people accept Iro though for playing for Nigeria but criticize Hargreaves for choosing England? You will find they are contradicting themselves.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargraves

He is the only player to have played for England without having previously lived in the United Kingdom, and only the second to have done so without having previously played in the English football league system (the first being Joe Baker).[3]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargraves

He is the only player to have played for England without having previously lived in the United Kingdom, and only the second to have done so without having previously played in the English football league system (the first being Joe Baker).[3]
    Dont really get your point as I know this and accept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He a serviceable CB who adds depth at that position..perhaps not a starter but needed all the same...and anybody who rips Morgan is a fool...the kid has been improving steadily offensively and on D,,,he's our LB of the future....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    No I am saying any player who hasn't lived in a country they play for is ridiculous. How can people accept Iro though for playing for Nigeria but criticize Hargreaves for choosing England? You will find they are contradicting themselves.
    Off topic, but I really do think there is a difference between the two. Iro is not good enough for England, so his only shot (as he sees it) is Nigeria. Can't begrudge him for wanting to play international football. Different to having the chance to play for either and making a choice between them.

Back on topic - to the original poster - I think the tone of your post is the issue. I don't think iro has shown enough to deserve a call up, but there's no need to laugh at a guy who has shown a good work ethic and some improvement. My 2c