Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_Stone_FNS View Post
    I felt it was a solid display. Not breathtaking but we were against a technically more gifted and capable side. Most importantly by winning a point the dream stays alive for another game. I feel like De Guzman is a holding midfielder being played out of position. He is a ball winner and safe passer for me but he often turns up on the edge of the box unable to play a killer pass. He had a good game last night, especially in his own half. As for Iro at times he defended very well, but he is so often out of position it is frustrating to watch. Overall we rode our luck but a very creditable point against a good Pumas side.
    hey jimmy ... welcome aboard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoelse saw Iro playing target man/striker at the end of the game due to Johnsons fatigue? ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    Whoelse saw Iro playing target man/striker at the end of the game due to Johnsons fatigue? ...
    I did. Cant say that the lad doesnt give it all
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. Say what you want about IRO's quality, but he was absolutely busting his ass over the last 30 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    great tactics and performance tonight I thought. Pumas are clearly a better team than us, and we played it tight, going with 5 at the back, (even in the first half, stinson was rb and eckersley more central) rode our luck a bit as you have to, and scored one of the few chances we got.

good tactics to not try and go toe to toe with the more skilled team, and to not leave iro and harden back there by themselves again. Thought Harden had a great game in the middle of defence, organising things well, made a bunch of late tackles and clearances.

some good old fashioned defensive 'prekiball' got the job done with a depleted lineup, and made sure we've got a chance still.

well done to winter and the whole team.

If koevermans wasn't hurt (setanta said he wasn't feeling well) and that was just a fatigue sub, then the chivas game looks even sillier now.

and setanta, what a shitshow, even in their scrolling apology, they spelt 'appoloogise' wrong.
    Agreed, about evrything. We did not did not give up, and maybe with Danny K. in there maybe we get the needed points. I liked what we did in this one, still do not like that we did not rest our guys for Chivas.

[When playing defensive football, you more often then not get a goal late, when the over team is getting fatigued and pressing-Hence Koevermans being in late may have gotten an opportunity to push as ahead]
    Last edited by trane; 09-28-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that I think was a big mistake was subbing Koevermans out at the half....i understand that he was feeling sick. I don't have an issue with him being sick, that's fine....but replace him with an attacker....i don't think Winter should have gone to 5 defenders right at the half...maybe wait a bit to make that desicion at the 50th/60th....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a great game, The shot that hit the post taken by the Mexican player was definitely the hardest shot I've ever seen at BMO. When Eckersley and the Mexican player's shin guards collided while they were onthe east side of the field, you could hear the bang clear over on the westside. An intense game the few fans that were there were really into it. I think I ticked a few Mexican fans off, anytime I passed one wearing the Mexican kit, I loudly stated to my wife. Look at that guy he came all the way from Mexico to watch this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I did. Cant say that the lad doesnt give it all
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Yep. Say what you want about IRO's quality, but he was absolutely busting his ass over the last 30 minutes.
    Definitely agreed. Everybodys welcome to there opinion about his defensive efforts. But he was really pushing to win the game at the end when it seemed like everybody else was set on the tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely agreed. Everybodys welcome to there opinion about his defensive efforts. But he was really pushing to win the game at the end when it seemed like everybody else was set on the tie.
    Really? He almost lost the game for us twice.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the thoughts on Iro and his performance, I'd say it was possibly a team selection error on Winter's part, actually. Knowing that Pumas are a very FAST team, Winter did have the option of picking Henry form the start, and not playing Iro. Henry is a MUCH faster player than Iro, and may have been better suited to Pumas fast attackers.

Say what you want about Iro, but if he almost lost us the game, just remember who selected to play the guy!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Really? He almost lost the game for us twice.....
    Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    For all the thoughts on Iro and his performance, I'd say it was possibly a team selection error on Winter's part, actually. Knowing that Pumas are a very FAST team, Winter did have the option of picking Henry form the start, and not playing Iro. Henry is a MUCH faster player than Iro, and may have been better suited to Pumas fast attackers.

Say what you want about Iro, but if he almost lost us the game, just remember who selected to play the guy!
    I have my issues with Iro like most, but he did give it his all last night. He was pressing the Pumas players near the end to pass or make mistakes when many others on TFC were just sitting back.

Regardless of Iro's gaffs......I was behind the south end goal and the way that guy had hit the ball and how it was bending and pace...he may have saved a goal. That was a well struck shot.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how this became an Iro Appreciation Thread, but the result was decent. Had Winter not set a more defensive formation to start the second half (make the Koev/Henry sub & other changes in the 60' as opposed to '45) I'm sure we could have had all three points. Regardless, we're still undefeated at home against Mexican teams and that's something to be proud of.

If Tauro get a result tonight, we have a great chance to get 3 points in Dallas.

Last edited by DichioTFC; 09-28-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iam glad we're finally trying to break the culture of running players out of town. Wasnt able to watch the full match, but caught "the game in six". Only thing that floored me was Johnson not passing to Stinson who was standing in front of a wide open net, things like that are the difference between the quality of Pumas and us that is abc football and could have helped us gain the full 3points. I commend the boys and Winter, for trying hard to turn this team around....Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree with all the Iro is shit/Iro is good...it was Iro's fault we almost lost...it was Winters fault we didn't get 3 points talk.

We conceded for a very simple reason.

We had 3 towering central defenders in our box on a static set play corner and they failed to execute.

They had all the time in the world to compose themselves...mark their man and be aware of what their teammates were doing. It was a stupid lazy brain fart.

We should never be beaten to a ball like that when there are so many of our players that could/should have easily eaten up that ball.

Eliminate mistakes in situations when you're not under reaction based pressure (ie free kicks...throw ins and corners) and wed probably cut out a ton of goals against.

It's not a tactics thing and it's not even a talent thing...it's a concentration, execution and determination thing.

My take at least.

At the end of the day I was happy to see that, while we were outplayed, we hung in there and showed character. There was no head hanging out there. A nice effort.

Now let's go Tauro! Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Sportsnet replaying this game? It's on my program guide for 12:30 pm today on Sportsnet East, but they're showing the Premier League review.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_Stone_FNS View Post
    I felt it was a solid display. Not breathtaking but we were against a technically more gifted and capable side. Most importantly by winning a point the dream stays alive for another game. I feel like De Guzman is a holding midfielder being played out of position. He is a ball winner and safe passer for me but he often turns up on the edge of the box unable to play a killer pass. He had a good game last night, especially in his own half. As for Iro at times he defended very well, but he is so often out of position it is frustrating to watch. Overall we rode our luck but a very creditable point against a good Pumas side.
    I agree that it was pretty solid. Also, glad you found your way to our corner of the TFC-world, Jimmy. Love the blog.

Pumas simply outclassed us talent-wise, but I thought we hung in there reasonably well. Not having Frings, and losing Koov, clearly hurt though.

We are still alive.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I don't understand several people on this thread moaning about Matt Gold? Like, "we were SO low on subs that we EVEN HAD TO USE CRAPPY GOLD".

From what I've seen from Gold this season (which isn't much, just a few sub appearances)....he looks quite good actually. To me, he looks as good as Stinson! He seems to have some energy about him and doesn't give the ball away, he seems a tidy midfielder.

I'd like to see more of Gold actually, and hopefully he will have a starting appearance before the end of the season so we can all see a full game from him.
    Matt Gold in reserves was taking JDG's spot and doing a very impressive job...at one point when JdG not doing very well, I didn't think it out of place subing Gold in.....he was very vocal out there positioning players.......doesn't make many mistakes...has soccer smarts
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well tauro is making a mochary of fc dallas right now... i dont know if that is a bad thing or a good thing for us.... atleast it keeps fc dallas down.... now we need a result in dallas and for pumas to beat tauro on the next match day...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KezmanCCCC View Post
    well tauro is making a mochary of fc dallas right now... i dont know if that is a bad thing or a good thing for us.... atleast it keeps fc dallas down.... now we need a result in dallas and for pumas to beat tauro on the next match day...
    We "just" need a win in Dallas & we're through.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the Horto sounded great last game btw. more Horto is always good!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently dallas got two reds, who were they. That's going to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I don't agree with all the Iro is shit/Iro is good...it was Iro's fault we almost lost...it was Winters fault we didn't get 3 points talk.

We conceded for a very simple reason.

We had 3 towering central defenders in our box on a static set play corner and they failed to execute.

They had all the time in the world to compose themselves...mark their man and be aware of what their teammates were doing. It was a stupid lazy brain fart.

We should never be beaten to a ball like that when there are so many of our players that could/should have easily eaten up that ball.

Eliminate mistakes in situations when you're not under reaction based pressure (ie free kicks...throw ins and corners) and wed probably cut out a ton of goals against.

It's not a tactics thing and it's not even a talent thing...it's a concentration, execution and determination thing.

My take at least.

At the end of the day I was happy to see that, while we were outplayed, we hung in there and showed character. There was no head hanging out there. A nice effort.

Now let's go Tauro! Lol

I've seen you at many TFC functions, and I know both you and I are well versed in the game.....that being said...

High levels of concentration, execution and determination are found in very good players, and those 3 things are what separate the greatest players in the world from the rest.....

Iro lacks many things, some that can be taught, and some not...

At the end of the day, unfortunately for him, he is going to be moved and shipped out...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Apparently dallas got two reds, who were they. That's going to help.
    Castillo & Benitez, excellent news for TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Stop calling this and calling that....blah blah blah....

He sucks balls, end of story. Period, he sucks, get over it....

The sooner people get over it, the sooner we can upgrade the position!
    This kind of insight is truly startling.

Deep.

Well thought out.

Nice.

(I think I just made a Haiku, but I'm not exactly sure what a Haiku is)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I was in 115 for the Tauro game and people there were having a go at Iro all match. I don't care how bad of a player he is or how bad he is playing - his own supporters singing songs about how crap he is not helping the situation or TFC in anyway.
    This. We as a group should quash this shit when we see/hear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoPat View Post
    I thought it was a great game, The shot that hit the post taken by the Mexican player was definitely the hardest shot I've ever seen at BMO. When Eckersley and the Mexican player's shin guards collided while they were onthe east side of the field, you could hear the bang clear over on the westside. An intense game the few fans that were there were really into it. I think I ticked a few Mexican fans off, anytime I passed one wearing the Mexican kit, I loudly stated to my wife. Look at that guy he came all the way from Mexico to watch this game.
    Haha. That's funny. And whenever I saw a TFC fan I said out loud that my Mexican mother came all the way from Mexico to give birth to me in 1977 so that I could grow up to cheer against Pumas for a Toronto soccer club.

Suckers! Mexicans are stupid.
    Last edited by Alonso; 09-29-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    This. We as a group should quash this shit when we see/hear it.
    yes, he is one of the boys, but i'm not thrilled about his performance either. who would waste their energy heckling one of our players when there's a good chance he won't be back next season? especially when there's 11 other players on the pitch more deserving of our hate.

QUASH
    THAT
    SHIT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can somebody translate for me what the Mexicans yelled after each TFC goal kick? I have a feeling it's foul language but I don't speak Spanish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Can somebody translate for me what the Mexicans yelled after each TFC goal kick? I have a feeling it's foul language but I don't speak Spanish.
    They were waiting for him to kick it then yelling "Puto" which can translate to various things, but all being bad. lol
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    They were waiting for him to kick it then yelling "Puto" which can translate to various things, but all being bad. lol
    tell me what it means!!!

I want to come up with a spanish comeback to yell after.