Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Things don't look too great at the moment. If Dallas wins tomorrow in Tauro, TFC would have to beat FCD by 2 goals or more to advance. However, if Dallas drops points then a win by 1 goal would be enough to see TFC through.

Time to cheer on Tauro because I don't think TFC can beat FCD by two goals in Dallas. They're not going to take this game lightly.
    No. We can advance through a win, scoring at least two goals.

First tiebreaker is results (points) between tied teams.
    Then goal difference in matches between the tied teams.
    Then away goals in matches between the two teams.
    And then goal difference in all group matches.

We need to win and score at least two in Dallas.

That assumes that Dallas beats Tauro tonight, which isn't a given. If they drop points in Panama then all we need is a en.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PRAYING for Tauro to grab a point at home vs Dallas tonight!.....anything is possible...they were able to snatch one at home vs pumas!!!..

Setting up a final matchday game vs Dallas with the winner moving on!...

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Stop calling this and calling that....blah blah blah....

He sucks balls, end of story. Period, he sucks, get over it....
    So what you're saying is you'd prefer if folks didn't offer contrary opinions supported by personal observations.

You'd rather that everyone agreed, and rather than provide insight, just join in with the mob ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Things don't look too great at the moment. If Dallas wins tomorrow in Tauro, TFC would have to beat FCD by 2 goals or more to advance. However, if Dallas drops points then a win by 1 goal would be enough to see TFC through.

Time to cheer on Tauro because I don't think TFC can beat FCD by two goals in Dallas. They're not going to take this game lightly.
    But then again, FCD looked like utter crap at home against Pumas, in my opinion TFC CAN beat FCD by 2 goals, given some luck and a whole team effort.

Tauro drew FCD in Dallas!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tauro game is almost irrelevant tonight to our chances, guys. We can't go through on anything but a win versus Dallas in the final match, even if Tauro were to pull off a shocker and beat Dallas (although certainly not allowing Dallas to win would make our chances slightly better). So we don't really need any help from Tauro now.

If Dallas ties or wins against Tauro, that's OK.

Scenario 1: Dallas loses to Tauro -- we are tied on points still.. we still need a winin the final match. Could be 1-0.

Scenario 2: Dallas tied Tauro -- they go one up in points -- must beat Dallas, but can be 1-0 win.

Scenario 3: Dallas beats Tauro -- they go to 10 points... we must beat Dallas with more away goals than they got at BMO. This would give us 10 points and we advance on the third tiebreaker (we'd be tied with Dallas on points between the two teams tied (3 each) + we'd be tied on goal difference between the two teams tied (2-2)).

So no matter what happens tonight, TFC still needs to win in Dallas. Is that an impossible result? You decide.

EDITED TO CORRECT MY AWFUL MATH.
    Last edited by rocker; 09-28-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    The Tauro game is irrelevant tonight to our chances. We can't go through on anything but a win versus Dallas in the final match, even if Tauro were to pull off a shocker and beat Dallas. So we don't need any help from Tauro now.

true in a way...we need a win either way in dallas...but winning by 1....is alot more realistic then beating Dallas by 2 in there own barn by 2...

So Tauro grabbing a draw in Dallas would greatly help us

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might not be a shocker...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/ar...h-energy-tauro

But not all of the Dallas regulars made the relaxing, four-hour trip south for the fifth game of six in group play.
    Left in Dallas were Jackson, Daniel Hernandez and Brek Shea due to card suspensions. Midfielder Ricardo Villar also remained in Texas to get a bit of a breather following a long accumulation of minutes played. In their absence, head coach Schellas Hyndman is hoping two 2011 acquisitions perform well on Wednesday night.
    “The player that needs to step up tomorrow is [Maykel] Galindo,” stated Hyndman. “He’s been with us all year, from one injury to another, and we need for him to get up and do the type of things that we think he is capable of doing. And then I think Bobby Warshaw needs to step up. It’s one thing to have a permanent fixture of Daniel there, but now it’s like, ‘No Daniel, Bobby, this is what we drafted you for.’”
    Hopefully Tauro isn't suiting up youngsters for this one.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Guzman had a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    great tactics and performance tonight I thought.

good tactics to not try and go toe to toe with the more skilled team, and to not leave iro and harden back there by themselves again.
    some good old fashioned defensive 'prekiball' got the job done with a depleted lineup, and made sure we've got a chance still.

well done to winter and the whole team.
    Some great tactical decisions by Winter in formation and play and grinding out a point. Honestly, I thought it would be difficult to even get that, given the absences (especially with Frings missing). I never thought he would have the flexibility to play something closer to "prekiball," but it was exactly what was needed to get the point, given the circumstances. I am getting more and more pleased with Winter's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You can't be unhappy. We stole the point. We were shorthanded and played a good game overall against a better team that had more chances and showed real class. Sometimes sports is only about staying alive until the end, and hoping things break your way...
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-28-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too bad dallas players couldn't be suspended for the tfc game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't realize there was such a big gap in our schedule before the Dallas game. Before TFC v. Dallas we only have 2 games while Dallas has to play 4, hopefully that works in our favour.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I assume your talking about when their number 18 took a shot and Iro tried to head it and it hit the post????

If that's what you are talking about, Iro was in a no win situation with that strike at goal. IF Iro had jumped out of the way of the shot, we would all be moaning that he was a wimp and jumped out the way! If he heads the ball he is in danger of deflecting it, OR putting the ball off target and saving a possible goal! You can't blame Iro for heading that ball.

And looking back their goal. Iro was marking the guy who scored. BUT, Harden was marking their number 7, who then decided not to make a run into the box. Iro followed his man, but then Harden totally got in his way, and blocked Iro from following his guy. Harden then didn't jump and make an effort to stop the header. I would say this is more Harden's fault than Iro.

I'm not a fan of Iro, but he needs to be defended when he hasn't done much wrong, and as usual is being singled out as the culprit...which he wasn't in this game.

Yeah, but we are Toronto sports fans. We always need a whipping boy on every sports team in town.

I'm no Iro fan either but I think he was OK last night - just OK.

-----

Overall I think TFC did what they needed to do to give themselves a shot at points against a more talented and faster team. Let's also remember we had a short bench and missing some of our better players.

Stinson & Morgan showed their development is coming along very nicely. They both had solid games last night. I felt De Guzman also had a strong game. Eks was consistent which is what you want from your defenders. Kosic made some key blocks when needed.

The thing I liked most from what I saw out there was the team looked like they were ready to win this game any way needed. They had some fight in this game. That tells me this group is willing to play for each other and I hope his continues.

Still lot's to improve on but I we are still in this with a good shot of making it out of the group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to remember with Dallas's schedule.... both TFC and Dallas have a little break after this weekend, but Dallas has one extra match on the schedule in the run up to the final CCL game against TFC. So while both teams will come into the match on short rest, Dallas could be a little bit more tired and has one extra game's chance to get injured We also don't know what effect the playoff race will have on them.
    Right now they would be scheduled for a "play in" game against the 10th place team on Oct 26.... so they play TFC Oct 18, Earthquakes in the final league game on the 22, and the first playoff game on Oct 26. Hyndman has a major balancing act ahead of him with his lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had you told me before the match it would end in a draw, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

After scoring first, I was really hoping for the miracle win, but that wasn't to be. However, I am extremely proud of our boys. Ecks and DeGuz were beasts, the kids Morgan and Stinson keep impressing, Kocic was solid once again and Iro is quite tall.

After Ecks went down I thought we were done for sure but Gold did a decent job and now, with a little help from Tauro we have a realistic chance of advancing.

Speaking of Dallas' chances in Panama - they could only tie them at home and now have to go play in the long grass without Shea and Jackson. And they're reeling in league play with 4 losses out of the last 5. Sounds promising to me!

Back in the stands, I was able to annoy 2 groups of Pumas fans into moving out of 110 (although one pumas guy before leaving took a pic of his son, saying "You're in the middle of red country now!" Endearing, but not enough to want him to stay.

And did anyone else think that from far away the pumas keeper looked like he had a tuxedo t-shirt on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pumas are an EXCELLENT team. Really shows how big the gap is between us and the top teams on this side of the world. We did very well to get a draw. They left it all on the pitch last night. Have to say it was a bit scary midway through the second half and you knew we need to bring some fresh legs out to see who we actually had on the bench. There were really no options there at all. Matt Goald? Yikes. Anyway, really good effort, good result.

Dallas is sliding right now. I don't think it's a given that they get three points tonight. We have a realistic shot of beating them, especially in October when they are more likely to be thinking of the MLS playoffs. I like our chances.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Scenario 1: Dallas loses to Tauro -- we are tied on points still.. we still need a winin the final match. Could be 1-0.
    A tie would work if it was 2-2 or higher. We would have more away goals.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing makes me feel worse than sitting back and counting on other teams to lose to improve our chances.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a lot of pumas supporters. There was a big contingent on top of 226 and pretty loud one on top of 104 plus a bunch sprinkled all over
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread for Dallas/Tauro match here. I'm sure quite a few of us will be watching.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29714

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A tie would work if it was 2-2 or higher. We would have more away goals.
    No. The first tiebreaker is points from matches between the two teams. So even if Dallas loses tonight and we both have 7 pts going into the last day we need to win as they beat us at home.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was the last time we beat ANY team away by 2 or more goals?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    We don't have to beat them by two goals. If Dallas wins today, we just have to score at least two goals, and win, in our game vs Dallas. Last time we did that was Sept. 10 2011 in Columbus. That was also winning away by "two or more goals" but that won't be needed vs. Dallas in any case.

Not saying it will be easy. Dallas has looked weak lately, but may rebound by the time we play them in a few weeks. We shall see.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Far from mission impossible, in my opinion. The bigger challenge was getting a result against Pumas.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    No. The first tiebreaker is points from matches between the two teams. So even if Dallas loses tonight and we both have 7 pts going into the last day we need to win as they beat us at home.
    Good point. Nothing goes easy for this team.

At least we don't have to win 6-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt it was a solid display. Not breathtaking but we were against a technically more gifted and capable side. Most importantly by winning a point the dream stays alive for another game. I feel like De Guzman is a holding midfielder being played out of position. He is a ball winner and safe passer for me but he often turns up on the edge of the box unable to play a killer pass. He had a good game last night, especially in his own half. As for Iro at times he defended very well, but he is so often out of position it is frustrating to watch. Overall we rode our luck but a very creditable point against a good Pumas side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Columbus, 3 weeks ago. Did you miss it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand several people on this thread moaning about Matt Gold? Like, "we were SO low on subs that we EVEN HAD TO USE CRAPPY GOLD".

From what I've seen from Gold this season (which isn't much, just a few sub appearances)....he looks quite good actually. To me, he looks as good as Stinson! He seems to have some energy about him and doesn't give the ball away, he seems a tidy midfielder.

I'd like to see more of Gold actually, and hopefully he will have a starting appearance before the end of the season so we can all see a full game from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was near the front of 115 for the game last night, and some chud behind me started going off on de guzman right before the pumas goal in the second half; julian was on the post and the guy was screaming at him about how much he sucks. it was terrible. a few people politely told him not to be negative, then pumas scored.

the rest of the game, he keeps ragging on julian to his buddies, but it was funny, because he was chirping him for making good plays. as the ball was about to come to de guzman's feet he said something like "watch this...oh he actually made a pass", and then later on he chirped him for "actually getting stuck in". after a while he just started yelling to get de guzman off the field, and then said one of the dumbest things i've ever heard in so many ways, which was "we've got five guys playing centre back that would all be better at centre midfield than de guzman"...haha

anyways, long read but thought i'd share that as i hate fans like that. screaming at julian while he is withing earshot is wrong, in my opinion, in the first place (save the vitriol for the opposition); especially wrong though, when he is having a great game and bossing the middle of the park for us.

julian played awesome last night, and morgan and ecks were outstanding on the flanks; also, for what it's worth, i actually thought that both harden and iro were solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in 115 for the Tauro game and people there were having a go at Iro all match. I don't care how bad of a player he is or how bad he is playing - his own supporters singing songs about how crap he is not helping the situation or TFC in anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I was pleased with the effort last night, and the result in of itself was somewhat positive. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, a draw wasn't good enough. The tournament is likely over for TFC unless they can pull off a shocker in Dallas and get a lot of help from Tauro, a club that is merely playing for pride at this point.
    We hold our destiny in our hands. Frankly, I think a win at Dallas is a more achievable result than beating Pumas at home. Cheer up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I was in 115 for the Tauro game and people there were having a go at Iro all match. I don't care how bad of a player he is or how bad he is playing - his own supporters singing songs about how crap he is not helping the situation or TFC in anyway.
    i fully agree; i don't see how any positive result will come from this behaviour.

dude was wearing a tfc jersey, directly behind the net, in row 7 which is really the fourth row at that point, and julian is standing on the post. hopefully he tunes that kind of thing out all together, but nothing positive for the team you claim to support can come from that.