Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec-115
    Posts
    9,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !


  2. #2
    RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    112
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

  3. #3
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Formerly Parkdale
    Posts
    29,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    here we go....
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The 'Ring
    Posts
    1,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow... we truly are underdogs according to the articles. What a sweet victory it would be

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dump and Chase!!!!!
    Posts
    8,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    JDG must be huge today

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gameday!! We face a monumental task tonight, we neeed to be loud and proud tonight!

    I'll be there screaming my head off, hopefully there is at least 17,000 there tonight

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The 'Ring
    Posts
    1,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm guessing we will see quite a few mexican flags waving tonight.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not exactly news per say, but Toronto fc has it's part in the article, and the breakdown of what's wrong with Toronto sports/mlse is relevant

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...rts-city-world

    Besides, it's always nice when one of the biggest sports websites in the world recognizes our pain and suffering. I'd, uh, skip the Dichio section though.

  9. #9
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Gameday!! We face a monumental task tonight, we neeed to be loud and proud tonight!

    I'll be there screaming my head off, hopefully there is at least 17,000 there tonight
    I would guess under 10,000.

    Just for kicks, I looked for 6 in a row in the SS and found it in 113.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  10. #10
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Not exactly news per say, but Toronto fc has it's part in the article, and the breakdown of what's wrong with Toronto sports/mlse is relevant

    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...rts-city-world

    Besides, it's always nice when one of the biggest sports websites in the world recognizes our pain and suffering. I'd, uh, skip the Dichio section though.
    Full of factual inaccuracies. ML$E doesn't own the Jays, for example.

    Dichio wasn't the slowest player in the league, and he wasn't loved for his speed but his attitude, grit, technical skill, and how he made that whole crappy team play better.
    "Of all the things in life that don't actually matter, football matters the most." - Stuart McKeown

    Supporting since 2007


  11. #11
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    www.RedNationOnline.ca
    Posts
    4,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Danny Dichio set up a goal for GABE GALA of all people, who scored against Real Madrid!

    How many people can say that?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Full of factual inaccuracies. ML$E doesn't own the Jays, for example.

    Dichio wasn't the slowest player in the league, and he wasn't loved for his speed but his attitude, grit, technical skill, and how he made that whole crappy team play better.
    I think your missing the point of the article. What he's saying is that Toronto fans have always loved the Tie Domi's, and Dan Gargan's (for a time) of the sports world and have always been to quick too criticize and call for the trade of skill players. Sure one argument for Toronto teams losing is that the skill players aren't playing their best and the blue collar guys can only play up to their abilities. But the counter to that is that Toronto teams should get better players and appreciate the better players more and Toronto won't win until they do.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Full of factual inaccuracies. ML$E doesn't own the Jays, for example.

    Dichio wasn't the slowest player in the league, and he wasn't loved for his speed but his attitude, grit, technical skill, and how he made that whole crappy team play better.
    I dunno about writing off a good look at the psychology of being a sports fan in toronto because of what's most probably a typo, and a stance you disagree with. I love Dichio, but he definitely is part of the narrative of us loving the 'grinder' type players over the flashy type players.

  14. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    LOL...

    This could descend into another DeRo debate. LOL

    But Dkolish3 hit the nail on the head, factual inaccuracies aside, the author's main thrust is bang on.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    LOL...

    This could descend into another DeRo debate. LOL

    But Dkolish3 hit the nail on the head, factual inaccuracies aside, the author's main thrust is bang on.
    Yes, it's painful to read but it's true.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bringin' Scarborough to The Beach!
    Posts
    4,969
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    LOL...

    This could descend into another DeRo debate. LOL

    But Dkolish3 hit the nail on the head, factual inaccuracies aside, the author's main thrust is bang on.
    Yep. We, Toronto sports fans in general, sure do love our underdogs and are fairly short on patience and quick to criticize with our most skilled players. (generally speaking)

    To use an example from across the pond. Chelsea fans have given Torres all the support and time to turn his game around. And at $50 Million I think they could not be criticized of their patience wore thin in short order. It looks like he just could be on the road back to playing the way he can. If this same thing happened on a Toronto sports team he would have been run out of town months ago.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Pub.
    Posts
    8,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When people start to rag on Toronto in terms of pro-sports performance (which they have every right to do) I look at the bright side...

    As a Canadian city, at least WE HAVE PRO-SPORTS teams to rag on...!!!

    Of the four big sports leagues in North America (I know in popularity it doesn't go that way) we have teams in three of them (and currently host a reg season game in the other)... The most every other city has, 1...

    Of the smaller leagues, we have MLS, NLL, CFL... No other city has all three I don't beleive...

    We get an Indy Car race (as does Edmonton / while Montreal gets the big boys of F1)...

    IT COULD BE WORSE...

    We could be Vancouver or Montreal with NHL, CFL, MLS (we have more with MLB & NBA)...

    We could be Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg with only NHL & CFL (we have much more)...

    Worse, we could only have CFL or less...

    I know we suck - but at least we're in the game... Most other Canadian cities can't even say that...

    Carts...
    Last edited by Carts; 09-27-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."


  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dkolish3 View Post
    I think your missing the point of the article. What he's saying is that Toronto fans have always loved the Tie Domi's, and Dan Gargan's (for a time) of the sports world and have always been to quick too criticize and call for the trade of skill players. Sure one argument for Toronto teams losing is that the skill players aren't playing their best and the blue collar guys can only play up to their abilities. But the counter to that is that Toronto teams should get better players and appreciate the better players more and Toronto won't win until they do.
    Not to drag this into a De Ro debate, but this argument was made then in the past.

    I think it's bang on too. It's a trait seen in pretty much every Toronto sports team.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    When people start to rag on Toronto in terms of pro-sports performance (which they have every right to do) I look at the bright side...

    As a Canadian city, at least WE HAVE PRO-SPORTS teams to rag on...!!!

    Of the four big sports leagues in North America (I know in popularity it doesn't go that way) we have teams in three of them (and currently host a reg season game in the other)... The most every other city has, 1...

    Of the smaller leagues, we have MLS, NLL, CFL... No other city has all three I don't beleive...

    We get an Indy Car race (as does Edmonton / while Montreal gets the big boys of F1)...

    IT COULD BE WORSE...

    We could be Vancouver or Montreal with NHL, CFL, MLS (we have more with MLB & NBA)...

    We could be Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg with only NHL & CFL (we have much more)...

    Worse, we could only have CFL or less...

    I know we suck - but at least we're in the game... Most other Canadian cities can't even say that...

    Carts...
    That was cold dude.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    When people start to rag on Toronto in terms of pro-sports performance (which they have every right to do) I look at the bright side...

    As a Canadian city, at least WE HAVE PRO-SPORTS teams to rag on...!!!

    Of the four big sports leagues in North America (I know in popularity it doesn't go that way) we have teams in three of them (and currently host a reg season game in the other)... The most every other city has, 1...

    Of the smaller leagues, we have MLS, NLL, CFL... No other city has all three I don't beleive...

    We get an Indy Car race (as does Edmonton / while Montreal gets the big boys of F1)...

    IT COULD BE WORSE...

    We could be Vancouver or Montreal with NHL, CFL, MLS (we have more with MLB & NBA)...

    We could be Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg with only NHL & CFL (we have much more)...

    Worse, we could only have CFL or less...

    I know we suck - but at least we're in the game... Most other Canadian cities can't even say that...

    Carts...
    Totally agree with you, but what popped into my head reading that was "Is it better to win at 1 thing or lose at 6?"


    Also, off topic, but I have a hunch the Bills game here this year is going to sell WAY better than the previous ones. Even I may go again (havent gone since the first one)

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Pub.
    Posts
    8,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Totally agree with you, but what popped into my head reading that was "Is it better to win at 1 thing or lose at 6?"
    Ya but in our case it would be "...is it better to lose at 1 thing or lose at 6 things?..."

    Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."


  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    2,421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Ya but in our case it would be "...is it better to lose at 1 thing or lose at 6 things?..."

    Carts...

    Touche haha. At least we're good at what we do

  23. #23
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    6,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Classic Toronto/Canadian mentality... we have 3 so it's okay if they suck.

    In NYC it's the best at them all or nothing.

    It should be the same fucking thing here.

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dkolish3 View Post
    I think your missing the point of the article. What he's saying is that Toronto fans have always loved the Tie Domi's, and Dan Gargan's (for a time) of the sports world and have always been to quick too criticize and call for the trade of skill players. Sure one argument for Toronto teams losing is that the skill players aren't playing their best and the blue collar guys can only play up to their abilities. But the counter to that is that Toronto teams should get better players and appreciate the better players more and Toronto won't win until they do.
    Agreed 100%.

    It's hard for people in this town to come to terms with someone's personal best still not being good enough to bring success. Eg. Sundin at 60% is still doing more for the team than Tie Domi at 110%.

    Consequently problems are always phrased in terms of why isn't our best player playing better rather than the probably more valid: "why do the peripheral players on these teams suck so badly?"

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Section 110
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Classic Toronto/Canadian mentality... we have 3 so it's okay if they suck.

    In NYC it's the best at them all or nothing.

    It should be the same fucking thing here.
    The NY landscape of sports hasn't exactly been sterling outside of the Yankees. I'll focus on the NY specific teams and not the NJ ones with exception of the NFL

    NBA - NY Knicks (Last 10 seasons - 2 playoff apps - out in 1st round) - They haven't been the same since Ewing left and before than went on streaks of making playoffs/not making playoffs
    NHL - NY Rangers (Since '94 Stanley Cup have been streaky - didn't make playoffs between '98 and '05 and have been out in the first round in more than half the playoffs since - also went 53 seasons without winning a stanley cup)
    MLB - Yankees - highest payroll in the league by far - spends more than 5x that of the lowest team (contenders every year - but $$$ hasn't guaranteed a championship. It does seem to buy you into the top 6 of the league though)
    NFL - Can't speak too much on that, as the playoff system is different - though the Jets are a running joke in terms of dysfunction, but the giants have had some success. Other teams have faired much better and have been more consistent.

    The MLSE teams in Toronto (Leafs, Raptors) have not done well - but the Jays show promise and youth, and the Argos are the most decorated Toronto team in the last 20 years, but are at a different level (tier 2 league?)

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Pub.
    Posts
    8,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    The NY landscape of sports hasn't exactly been sterling outside of the Yankees. I'll focus on the NY specific teams and not the NJ ones with exception of the NFL

    NBA - NY Knicks (Last 10 seasons - 2 playoff apps - out in 1st round) - They haven't been the same since Ewing left and before than went on streaks of making playoffs/not making playoffs
    NHL - NY Rangers (Since '94 Stanley Cup have been streaky - didn't make playoffs between '98 and '05 and have been out in the first round in more than half the playoffs since - also went 53 seasons without winning a stanley cup)
    MLB - Yankees - highest payroll in the league by far - spends more than 5x that of the lowest team (contenders every year - but $$$ hasn't guaranteed a championship. It does seem to buy you into the top 6 of the league though)
    NFL - Can't speak too much on that, as the playoff system is different - though the Jets are a running joke in terms of dysfunction, but the giants have had some success. Other teams have faired much better and have been more consistent.

    The MLSE teams in Toronto (Leafs, Raptors) have not done well - but the Jays show promise and youth, and the Argos are the most decorated Toronto team in the last 20 years, but are at a different level (tier 2 league?)

    I was writing this post when you posted it... LOL...

    Yankees - yup, best in the game can't deny that...

    All the rest - nothing too special...

    New York IS Basketball - winning or nothing else... That being in 1973 (that's almost as BAD AS THE LEAFS!!!)...

    New York IS Hockey - winning or nothing else... That being in 1994 (hey one more recent that the Habs, but only 20 or so behind! lol)

    The there's the METS. Hey they won it in 1986 - WAIT... TORONTO WON 1993 & 1994... But NY Mets is better - because best or else...

    Yeah, New York f*cking best or else... Now thats funny...
    Last edited by Carts; 09-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."


  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    on the TTC
    Posts
    1,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Yeah, New York f*cking best or else... Now thats funny...
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one laughing about it!

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    oh btw is there anywhere online to watch the match??? also is it free to watch the matches on the concacaf site??

  29. #29
    RPB 2019
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    16,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KezmanCCCC View Post
    oh btw is there anywhere online to watch the match??? also is it free to watch the matches on the concacaf site??
    Yes. Just need to register

    "
    Hell is always loose here. It can't break loose again
    ."
    -Fort York Redcoat, on the state of TFC

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •