Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, we better be prepared to lose Morgan at some point because he's heading to Europe eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First game I've been to in 2 years, that was a fucking blast. I forgot how much fun it is to sing/chant/scream/jump the team on to a win. Last few minutes were nerveracking, and I expected us to take the game to the fake TFC more, esp in the 2nd half, but a win is a win. Thought Morgan and Frings were great, thought Danny looked good (obviously). Crowd was into the game, loved the chipiness at the half and a bit in the 2nd. Dunno about some of the fouls Tauro drew, they were dropping before the ball or tfc guy got to them a bunch of times (I'm sure on tv you guys could see it). All in all though, great night out. Took 3 people to their first tfc games and all would return. Successful night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Btw, we better be prepared to lose Morgan at some point because he's heading to Europe eventually.
    Easy there, lol. Morgan is making a solid case for himself to be the starting LB next season though. Not too shabby for an original TFC Academy product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew I recognized Tauro's Luis Moreno from somewhere. Then it hit me. He's the guy who kicked an owl to death in a Colombian league game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW :O I wonder if he was carded for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd put money on it. Sucks for us but will be good for Canada. He's an excellent left back and only 18 or whatever? He's insanely good for his age.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's 20 and he's had a few good games... let's see him put together a good year first
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Easy there, lol. Morgan is making a solid case for himself to be the starting LB next season though. Not too shabby for an original TFC Academy product.
    I remember his debut. Over the entire year, I couldn't think of a game that Garcia played better or just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    I knew I recognized Tauro's Luis Moreno from somewhere. Then it hit me. He's the guy who kicked an owl to death in a Colombian league game.

Brutal. Now I wish Koevermans punched him in the face at halftime when he had the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the kicker was (no pun intended) that the owl was the opposing teams mascot!

Douchebaggery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Canary Canuck;1381318]I knew I recognized Tauro's Luis Moreno from somewhere. Then it hit me. He's the guy who kicked an owl to death in a Colombian league game.

[/QUOTE

Wow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a poor game in my opinion. Either Tauro are a much better team than we thought, or TFC conceded a lot of the play and were very poor.

I thought we were particularly poor in the final third tonight. Johnson was awful tonight, actually! Where was his movement off the ball?! He didn't seem at the races at all tonight! I would have taken him off instead of Koev, at least Koev has some strength about him. Johnson seemed intent on going backwards and not running for the ball.

Eckersley was TFC's best player again. Man, next season is going to be difficult if we lose Ecks and Plata!

We need to start killing teams off at home, not going into the lead then conceding the play. We need to be more urgent, get struck in and create some chances...not sit on our heels and invite the opposition to attack us!

If we play like that next week, Pumas will score another 4 against us!

I know a win is a win...but we must be really easy supporters to please if we are satisfied after that struggle of a win!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Giving up a free kick in the last minute just outside the box was very poor and could have cost TFC 2 points.

Not the best game they've played, but a wins a win.

Winter's strategy and formation were good this match. Putting on early pressure really affected Tauro, it looked like they never quite hit their stride. Frings as combination MF/Sweeper and moving between 4-3-3 and 5-4-1 (it looked like) worked very well.
    That wasn't "giving up a free kick" IMO. That was Vaughn gifting an unbelievably soft call to Tauro, the worst among many head-scratcher calls he did all night. Stinson clearly got the ball cleanly, and the Tauro player tripped over Stinson's foot after Stinson had already kicked the ball away about 20 feet.

The first 30 minutes or so were great by TFC, but they really needed to put away a couple more chances. (Made things way too nervy towards the end.) After that, Tauro really turned up the tempo, and many of their players had speed to burn. Tonight's TFC lineup is decent against a team with tempo, especially in defense.

Unfortunately TFC just kind of withered away after that, and couldn't maintain any decent possession. Marosevic was very poor I thought, often held the ball way too long or had poor touches, too many turnovers. He should have been subbed out way earlier. And a few other players just looked completely gassed in the 2nd half, like Johnson.

With all that, I'm very happy to say that our defense won us a game for a change, with significant help from the Koef of course!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC record since July 27 in all competitions
    7 wins 3 draws 3 losses
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think they played that great... but they played well enough and did what they had to do. It's wonderful to finally have a real striker in the Post-Dichio era.

I agree with the comment above about Johnson -- he wasn't running at all. There was one point, right in front of me in the north west corner, when Frings had the ball and was yelling at Johnson to run past the defender (so was the whole crowd there) so Frings could send him and he just wouldn't run. Later, there were a number of similar moments. Was he tired? Nagging injury? I dunno. But it was strange... he's pretty fast.

On Morgan -- I think he's still better on offense than defense. He gets nervous sometimes and makes rash decisions, when he has time and space. I like his acceleration and quickness. But late in the game him and Iro were getting nervous and just hoofing the ball downfield. I think our late-game switch to that style is a product of the inexperience of Morgan and the lack of any ball skill on the part of Iro (and Harden isn't much better in that regard). Eckersley is the only defender who doesn't crack under pressure and hoof the ball away at every opportunity when it's late and close.

Anyways, nice to win even though the team didn't play to its total potential -- quite a difference from the old days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at game tonight and I must say TFC needs to shoot the ball more from distance instead of passing to wing and crossing the ball in all the time.

TFC had some bright moments with their passing in midfield tonight. Hopefully they can do it 90 mins not just in belief moments in a game. Also midfield at times take forever to pass out and/or take too many touches before passing to wing or sending a through ball to our forwards. This needs to improve.

Morgan is decent, but the next step for him is to beat his man (dribble pass his man instead trying to outrun his man) when he's up front at wing.

Soolsma is too slow and nonathletic.

Danny K had a quiet game besides his goal. If wasn't for his goal, I highly doubt people would have realize he was in the game from the stands.

Eck = beast! Best RB we ever had in our history!

Ref was awful, but what do we except from CONCACAF? lol

TFC crowd was really into this game tonight! Kudos to all fans at the game.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    And the kicker was (no pun intended) that the owl was the opposing teams mascot!

Douchebaggery.
    Shoulda set Bitchy on him.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    OK, this changes everything.
    Thanks for this info - I never read from anyone in the game thread or here that Tauro played well.
    The fuck is your problem? You come in here shitting all over everyone's "lowered expectations" because we are happy we won, then when someone points out this Tauro team also played well against Dallas and Pumas, your amazing, facile response is to chalk those up to "a fluke and a bunch of missed chances".

We needed three points. We got three points. People are happy we got three points.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 09-20-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson looked pretty damn tired tonight...he didn't want to run at anyone 1-on-1 and just looked to cross even when he was in the box. Hope he is able to recover for Saturday. He can be a difference maker in the game.

Supporter section sounded great tonight. Good job folks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize that he was the owl-kicker.

I kind of wish I had. I'm kind of glad I didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy we got the much needed 3pts! God, did we ever neeed this win....

I was walking on eggshells for huge portions of this match though...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I remember his debut. Over the entire year, I couldn't think of a game that Garcia played better or just as well.
    Please don't use Nick Garcia as a standard to compare anyone to.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one phrase to sum up the evening:

who wants beef?

Glad to see the 3pts, hoping for the best out of dallas tomorrow!
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman27 View Post
    I have one phrase to sum up the evening:

who wants beef?

Glad to see the 3pts, hoping for the best out of dallas tomorrow!
    Did someone actually knock that cow over? Did I see that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Please don't use Nick Garcia as a standard to compare anyone to.
    Nick Garcia > Andy Iro.

Thoughts about the game, we held an underrated team to 1-nil. Neither encouraged nor discouraged. On to the next one. Here's hoping the strongest team in the tournament shits the bed in back-to-back games.

Sidenote: was in 117, row 2 tonight. Yourass half-assed mid-game warm-ups, mouthed off to the training coach, walked through it and was talking to anyone who would listen. No idea why he was subbed on but after watching that shit, I hope he's the first one gone this off-season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    all i remember seeing from 111 is the cow standing there at one point, i turn back to the game, look back and he had been tipped what looked to be right over the railing.
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    If Kocic nails the cow with the ball on his clearance, he would've become a legend. So close, yet so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game tonight! We could have performed better but they are a dirty and tricky team that I'm happy to get 3 points against. It's hard to be mad at TFC right now after the amazing turnaround this season has taken. It's become fun to watch them play and I'm genuinely excited for next season with these players!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    If Kocic nails the cow with the ball on his clearance, he would've become a legend. So close, yet so far.
    Frei would have hit it. Hope he's back soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so funny, but so not funny.