Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another recap of the week that was - TFC-heavy pod where PJ has his thoughts on what it was like to play in Mexico, the redeeming effort against Colorado and a pretty long segment on Ashtone Morgan and his thoughts on his potential. Of course goes coast to coast and no names are named but someone in Vancouver is not up to the task in preparing the side, and CWNT results.

PAUL JAMES ON SOCCER PODCAST: EPISODE 26

Also another couple TFC-centric articles

Resurgent De Guzman enjoying life at TFC

Koeverman's best has yet to come
    Last edited by spark; 09-20-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bigger than big. New strip now up at East Side Stand Up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget this relative newcomer:
    http://jimmystone.wordpress.com/

He already has his own thread somewhere on this forum but he should also be included here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    The one on De Guzman is a must-read!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://rednationonline.ca/Koevermans...nterAtTFC.aspx

Love this article about Koevermans
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the greatest performance, but tauro have upset better teams than us, so three points is all that matters. here's to at least one more week of relevance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC Still Alive in the CCL

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/still-alive/

Six points in four games in the group stages of the CONCACAF Champions League after Toronto FC defeats Tauro of Panama 2-0 at BMO Field on Wednesday.

In this video blog I take a look back at the game and I try and place the relative success TFC has recently had in all competitions into some sort of context. And I take a look ahead at the scenarios that might still give Toronto a chance to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League during the upcoming winter/spring.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCL qualification permutations here.

anything less that 3 points in 2 games is completely useless. 3 points might be enough with the right help from Tauro. tie then win more than 1-0 is all good no matter what tauro do. win by less than 4-0, then tie is no good without help from tauro. 2 wins and we're golden.

if either we get a point or dallas drops points next week, we're still alive going into the last game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champions League vs MLS – Time To Decide

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ague-over-mls/

Why its time for Aron Winter to face reality such as it is and place his bets on the Champions League over a slim mathematical chance of making the MLS Playoffs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Champions League vs MLS – Time To Decide

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ague-over-mls/

Why its time for Aron Winter to face reality such as it is and place his bets on the Champions League over a slim mathematical chance of making the MLS Playoffs.
    link doesn't work.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    link doesn't work.
    oops

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ime-to-decide/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Via RedNation Online, I interview Eric Avila about his adjustment to TFC, playing with Frings, and life in the big city:

Eric Avila Finding Himself At Toronto FC

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Avilaf...selfatTFC.aspx

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Via RedNation Online, I interview Eric Avila about his adjustment to TFC, playing with Frings, and life in the big city:

Eric Avila Finding Himself At Toronto FC

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Avilaf...selfatTFC.aspx
    Really good interview, I particularly liked this:

“Of course, it’s always a learning experience,” he says of his newfound playing time, which has seen him utilized as a centralized attacking midfielder, the top point of a 4-3-3 triangle. For Avila, a fixed position doesn’t restrict his game

That's really good that he can be creative within the system. It's so important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decisions. Decisions. New strip now up at East Side Stand Up!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bulls and Goats and Pumas, oh my!

My TFC preview, featuring B.A Baracus, and doing bad things to goats. we can rest players for tuesday (but we won't) and still put out a respectable-ish side.
    Last edited by Darlofletch; 09-24-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was worth it. My report on last night's game

and looking beyond that

4-3-3 or not 4-3-3, that is the question. Even without the man the 5 at the back has been built around so far, do TFC go with that extra man back there on Tuesday, can it work?

yes they should, and maybe, hopefully, probably not but it's likely our best chance of getting the point we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter Gambles - Winter Loses - TFC Out of Playoffs

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/winter-loses/

My video look back at the loss in Los Angeles Saturday evening that saw TFC's slim mathematical chances of a late season run getting them into the back door of the MLS playoffs to an end in a 3-0 loss to Chivas USA.

Instead of taking much of a look back at a forgettable game I instead speak about the gamble that Aron Winter took with his lineup Saturday evening and how anything less than a win on Tuesday in the Champions League versus Pumas will likely open him up to a huge torrent of criticism from the fans based on the choices he made Saturday in California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something in common. New strip now up at RedNationOnline!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nigel Reed has a blog on the Whitecaps:

The Whitecaps are on course to become the worst expansion team since Toronto FC in 2007. Four years ago, Mo Johnston's hastily assembled motley crew won just six games. Vancouver, by contrast, has tasted victory just four times in 29 starts.

The loss to Seattle hammered the final nail in the coffin. As a result the Whitecaps officially became the first team to be eliminated from the post-season. No playoffs, no Cascadia Cup - not even a Canadian Championship to show for their months of endeavour.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/nigel...an-empire.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata Ready to Go Against Pumas

Joao Plata speaks to RNO about the upcoming Pumas game, his recent injury, contract for next year, and his gratitude to supporters

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Plata Ready to Go Against Pumas

Joao Plata speaks to RNO about the upcoming Pumas game, his recent injury, contract for next year, and his gratitude to supporters
    Being capped at that level, Plata’s value skyrockets in the eyes of his former employers, LDU Quito. MLS rules, however, have given Toronto the right of first refusal, and Plata wants them to pick up his option.

“I’ve got one year left with a buyout option. I still don’t know [if I’ll stay] but I hope the coaches keep me.”
    Do it. Buy Plata
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote something up about the TFC Academy II CSL Reserve game played in Kingston on Saturday. I posted it in the TFC Academy thread in the Canadian Soccer section of the forum, but may as well add it to the "TFC blog" thread, even though the rest of the blog isn't TFC related.

Here's my writeup about the game. I don't have any of the names from either side (since numbers don't match up with the CSL Rosters or anything else that I could find), but I'm hoping to be able to update it with more details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo And Revisionist History

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/09/dero/

In this post, on the anniversary of "cut me a cheque", former Red Dwayne de Rosario makes a bid for the MLS MVP Award and why I feel that this should not give any TFC supporter reason to doubt that he still had to leave Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a great idea...bloggers can post their links here and i don't have to be scurring around looking for the ones to read

fantastic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am writing occasional pieces going forward for a British football comentary site called It's Round & White about TFC, MLS and the sport in general in North America.

Here is my most recent piece for them regarding how the the character Owen Hargreaves has shown in achieving a comeback to the top flight in English football is to be commended but that this perception I feel should be tempered by the lack of character I think was on display a decade ago in choosing to turn his back on Canada to play for England.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk...ardly-a-saint/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another week, another roundup from Paul James - once again pretty heavy on TFC with the two games, as well as thoughts on tonight's game against Pumas. Thoughts on Winter's tactics/strategies and ideas how to approach the match.

And once again with two players there is always a blunt assessment on - De Ro and Hargreaves - two questions come in on their recent performances.

PAUL JAMES ON SOCCER PODCAST: EPISODE 27

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Another week, another roundup from Paul James - once again pretty heavy on TFC with the two games, as well as thoughts on tonight's game against Pumas. Thoughts on Winter's tactics/strategies and ideas how to approach the match.

And once again with two players there is always a blunt assessment on - De Ro and Hargreaves - two questions come in on their recent performances.

PAUL JAMES ON SOCCER PODCAST: EPISODE 27
    I'm guessing any praise is grudging at best.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    I'm guessing any praise is grudging at best.
    Haha yeah well he's been consistent in saying no doubt he's a great player but the baggage that comes with him he'd rather pass on. The question is pretty bold and puts him on the spot.