Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    Absolutely Nothing
    Really? Sounds like we're back in ostrich mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is very humorous to me now. Hind-sight is 20/20 but honestly, despite not seeing much of the guy, I was a little surprised by the faith put in him.

'course, seems to be the way of forums, beautify some players, demonize others, happens all the time with voyaguers, the fact of the matter is, we don't know what they (the coaches) know, we don't get as much info, and all that, to think we can make the best judgments on these things is unrealistic.

To say a player has played well, is playing well, are easy, to suggest anything beyond the short term, not even Fergie would do that. And he's the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help but think that releasing Vukovic is going to come back and bite TFC in the butt sometime in the future. Any striker who can score as much as he can, can sometimes do it at ANY level. He deserved a chance with the first team. And it goes to show how stubborn and set in stone Winter is that he doesn't want to give Vokuvic a try because "he doesn't fit our system".

We need to come back to this thread later this season, or next, and all say "I told you so" to Winter when Vokuvic scores a couple of goals against TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ And if we never hear from him again, we can say "nice job Winter."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    If he wasn't good enough, is it safe to say a whole bunch of our academy are not good enough? I don't know much about our younger players, but I was made to understand Vukovich was one of those with more potential. What does that say about how much the Academy will contribute to future 1st teams?
    I don't know exactly what you heard but I heard he was scoring goals. Sometimes that's not enough.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ And if we never hear from him again, we can say "nice job Winter."
    Good one.

I'll hold my breath on that one.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I can't help but think that releasing Vukovic is going to come back and bite TFC in the butt sometime in the future. Any striker who can score as much as he can, can sometimes do it at ANY level. He deserved a chance with the first team. And it goes to show how stubborn and set in stone Winter is that he doesn't want to give Vokuvic a try because "he doesn't fit our system".

We need to come back to this thread later this season, or next, and all say "I told you so" to Winter when Vokuvic scores a couple of goals against TFC!
    Not saying it's impossible but damn, Labrocca's coming to town this weekend. If you want to worry...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Not saying it's impossible but damn, Labrocca's coming to town this weekend. If you want to worry...
    Shit, #10 is in town...
    RWN - SoctoberFest! Champion '11, TFC Supporters Cup Champs '10, Indoor Champs '10 & '09, Niagara Cup Champs '09 & '08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    So, they judged him too one-dimensiona, but also a goal poacher ...qualifying that with 'it's not enough to be a goal poacher anymore'.

That may be true. We'll have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The development (or lack thereof) of 1 player doesn't define a system Roogs. I understand we wanted this guy to be great, but just because our coaching staff doesn't like the details of his game doesn't mean others in the academy are doomed, they may not have the obvious raw talent of the Vukovic, but they could still development to a higher calibre than he may.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCBarrie View Post
    The development (or lack thereof) of 1 player doesn't define a system Roogs. I understand we wanted this guy to be great, but just because our coaching staff doesn't like the details of his game doesn't mean others in the academy are doomed, they may not have the obvious raw talent of the Vukovic, but they could still development to a higher calibre than he may.
    It's not just one player. We already lost two promising prospects last year. That's not to say the Academy will not produce first team players. I am sure they will. But I don't see much more than roleplayers and filler. Whatever success we have, will not be dependant on our academy, which contradicts the amount of hope some have placed on the academy. The chances of producing a truly impactful player diminishes with the dismissal or release of each top prospect. Not to say a hidden gem may not be found, it's just the chances are greatly reduced that it will happen.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I remember when NYRB started their academy and Dilly Duka was supposed to be a star.

It will be interesting to follow the path of Vukovic's career. If he doesn't make the jump to the Impact first team at 18 he's almost better off getting a scholarship to a NCAA school and see where that takes him.

If he was good as Aleman for example he wouldn't be in Montreal but in Europe, which might still be an option for him if the NCAA isn't.

People complain about hockey and basketball being brutal for teenagers in terms of assessment and pushing them to be pro, but soccer is definitely more "cutthroat" in terms of their assessments especially in the academy model of professional teams.

Vukovic has to make a big decision now. Does he pursue his dream of being a professional soccer player or go to school?
    Last edited by Whoop; 04-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

Vukovic has to make a big decision now. Does he pursue his dream of being a professional soccer player or go to school?
    That's the big question for the kid, of course. I've known several guys that I went to school with - dropped out with big promise of a massive football contract back in England. One of them even signed for Sheffield United on a big contract, they changed management, and didn't like him, and didn't renew it. He could have had a big career, but he decided that he couldn't be bothered to sign for anybody else, he went back to University and never looked back at football ever again.

Unless Montreal show interest in him, he may just end up out of football and go and get a sensible office career!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, there's nothing wrong with sitting on your ass typing on an internet forum all day.

Although...my ass does seem to be getting bigger year by year...