Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shit
    the
    bed
    dissapointed to come back from the pub and see this.
    hope you lads in toronto are dealing with this in typical (drunk) fashion.
    ill be back in canada next week to join you.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dbl_D View Post
    that's what happens when your tired...

what are you 90... can't stay up passed 1 and get up b4 10..

im up for 8am slaving for the man after being up as well

btw get a job hippie

edit: just kidding...
    I feel like 90 today, I think the beer was poisoned last night...

And I have a job, with a super cool TFC lovin' boss.

Weekend hippie, to be sure...

By the way, slightly off topic, but did anyone else see Alan Gordon hanging out in the smoking area last night (gate 3). I guess he was in town ahead of time for San Jose this weekend. He totally looked like a hippie, wearing one of those Rasta hair nets...

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Did you see the extended highlights of the Pumas - Dallas game??? Pumas should have won that game 5-1 easily....between the goalie, posts, and missed wipe open shots....they absolutely DOMINATED Dallas...if they play the same team against us THEY WILL KILL US!!! Second team or not! Of course I'd liek to be proven wrong...but I'd say the likelyhood of us getting 4 points off them is about ZERO...IMO our only hope is that we can get a WIN here, and then steal a point in Dallas, and have Pumas get beat in Dallas...
    Fair enough. Its football though, and results are never a sure thing.

Now, I think our backline needs to sharpen up because that is what is killing us. As for Dallas, sometimes its the the devil you know vs the devil you don't. They are a good side that made the finals that know how to play us. The 1-0 result definently makes it seem like we should have taken at least a draw though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Or better yet, be a realist and water it and watch it grow for a few years.
    It will take that long.

Stop making sense, God-damn it! This is where we're supposed to yell nonsensical things about not winning a game nobody expected us to!!

I was there, we panicked every time someone put a bit of pressure on us for some reason. Not many people looked comfortable on the ball and we have little to no penetration without Koevermans up front. Borman has to go. He can't play full back, he can't play wing back. He makes me miss Nick Garcia who was serviceable at left back once he was moved away from the centre.

Positives: Morgan seemed up for it when he came on, Harden seemed solid, we were two brain farts away from a draw (Johnston losing his man for the goal and Borman with a terrible play for the penalty). Oh and we got to go to the food hall at half-time.
    Last edited by Wull; 08-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC v Dallas - Photo Blog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...as-photo-blog/

A post featuring some of the twenty nine photos I took at the replay of the TFC v Dallas Champions League match early Thursday morning at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    Isn't that what everyone said last year, and look at our results against the mexicans.

I'll save my 'no chances' until I see the starting lineup for their squad because from the sounds of what they put up against Dallas it may be Pumas second team.
    That's what people said and we ended up getting four of the six available points. They got one.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    pooks, its not like the majority of us expected to win, most of us pushed hard that we needed to win. thats where the disappointment comes from, and there's no doubt that 3 points against dallas at home was labeled as essential to our campaign for the following reasons:

- we missed the opportunity to make a move against the fire by subbing off players expected to make an impact this game.
    - we were at home.
    - we were playing a familiar opponent.
    - a lot of our guys were liable to miss the next game due to yellow accumulation.
    - we've already gotten into the mindset that winter is sacrificing the rest of a plausible season for a deeper CCL run.
    - and we're facing a somewhat stronger side that doens't feel the same.
    So, we needed the win but didn't expect to win? All this talk about sending a message to MLSE (not from you) is a function of being rational about the likelihood of winning? Simply just a result of a need unfulfilled?

3 points would definitely help the campaign. I wouldn't call them essential.

Tauro v Pumas happens tonight. If there is a draw there, we'd be 2 points clear, alone in 2nd with 4 games left. Regardless, even if there are 3 points awarded we'd be tied in 2nd with the victor.

If there was a tie breaker, we currently hold that with Tauro since it is points earned in games head to head, Goal differential in matches involving the two teams, then away goals involving the 2 teams (which we have 2 of). We have an advantage over Tauro as it stands now if we ended tied with them.

Arguably, this comes down to Dallas winning the group and whether we can beat out Pumas.

I get the disappointment with not winning. And there is a place for it.

But all this talk (again, not you) about writing off the team is laughable considering the big picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope nobody is too surprised. I haven't seen anything in our previous performances that suggested that we'd be pushing to beat Dallas.

What I want to see for the remainder of the season is the same: start picking up points at a higher rate than we did previously and show overall improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We lose a a lot having Frings in the back and not the midfield. His strength is in mid and we have nobody that we can fully trust for the back. So we have Frings and somebody else. Our options are Henry, harden, and Iro, 2 of these 3 guys. Not very commanding in my opinion. Also we don't have a target striker(Koevermans injured?). Plata, Marsosevic and Johnson, like to drift out wide and when a team packs 9 behind the ball in the box, we lack in the final 3rd. When Frings was moved to mid it was much better but too late. I haven't watched many games at BMO this year with my schedule, but it is very obvious we are still a few players short. Sure we will do well in some games, but the norm will be similar to today. Possession is ok, lacking in the final third.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    What I want to see for the remainder of the season is the same: start picking up points at a higher rate than we did previously and show overall improvement.
    Same here. This has consistently been my stance since day one of this season. It was clear this team was not going to compete out of the gate - all I wanted to see was sustained improvement, and some smart player tranactions during the season that showed the building of a proper, balanced team. I think we've seen some of both, though the season isn't over, and there is still a lot of work to be dne (particularly on defense).

Hopefully my patience is rewarded, because the alternative is that we start over... again.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its going to be another rebulid this winter.we need a whole new backline and that AM.
    will will this ever stop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what some people are smoking in here but i thought stinson was one of the worst players on the pitch. He did nothing encouraging and was reponsable for the 1st goal. I really hope him and Zav are gone next year. I see absolutely nothing in them. As for the group, there still 4 games remaning, which is 12 points, so people come down, things happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I don't know what some people are smoking in here but i thought stinson was one of the worst players on the pitch. He did nothing encouraging and was reponsable for the 1st goal. I really hope him and Zav are gone next year. I see absolutely nothing in them. As for the group, there still 4 games remaning, which is 12 points, so people come down, things happen.
    Funny because about 1/3 of the people voting for the best player on TFC's website voted for Stinson.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So, we needed the win but didn't expect to win? All this talk about sending a message to MLSE (not from you) is a function of being rational about the likelihood of winning? Simply just a result of a need unfulfilled?

3 points would definitely help the campaign. I wouldn't call them essential.
    what i meant was that we needed a win and this was one of the easiest places to get it outside of tauro. we've been abysmal on the road and the bulk of us don't see any points coming from any matches against the pumas.

i think you're oversimplifying the statistic as to where we're coming from. just because we may be 2 points clear, or tied with the victor doesn't take into account the upcoming schedule where we may find ourselves dropping points to both pumas and dallas, ya know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stinson is developing. He made mistakes (normal for development) and he also made some key tackles and won the ball against the mop head.

He is improving and is already much better on the field than in his first game.

If Toronto can at least raise him to a solid MLS calibre player we can trade him (sweeten the deal) for something valuable, and we didn't pay anything for him.

On a side note: does Winter sound like he is sick? crappy for him since he can't really call in sick if he is really not feeling well..
    Last edited by nickio; 08-25-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    They're voting for his work ethic. He was quite poor today.

He's a good prospect, though. His biggest weakness seems to be his passing. Leaves a lot of balls short, doesn't have much control. But he sees the pitch well and moves into space well. Getting rid of an 18 year old with his upside would be foolish to the extreme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC Loses To Dallas in CCL Replay

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/08/ccl-replay/

In this post game video blog after TFC's loss to FC Dallas in the replay of the abandoned game from Wednesday I take a look at the following:

* Ten points is still the threshold that Toronto FC needs to get over to have a chance of qualifying for the knockout stages of the Champions League. I look at what Thursday's loss means to the math and to their prospects.
    * I lament the fact that Danny Koevermans might have been the difference Thursday if he was available to play
    * I ask if it is still worth playing Torsten Frings at the back
    * And I take a look ahead to the San Jose game, the return of four former Reds and towards the upcoming International break

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    what i meant was that we needed a win and this was one of the easiest places to get it outside of tauro. we've been abysmal on the road and the bulk of us don't see any points coming from any matches against the pumas.

i think you're oversimplifying the statistic as to where we're coming from. just because we may be 2 points clear, or tied with the victor doesn't take into account the upcoming schedule where we may find ourselves dropping points to both pumas and dallas, ya know?
    You think the 3rd overall team in the MLS is an easy place to get points?

Even if the point is that Dallas were easy relative to Pumas, ultimately if Pumas and Dallas are the better teams going into this then they will emerge from the group stage unless we can pull off a miracle.

It's ok to want a miracle. That said, to get pissed off and down on the team when it doesn't happen is illogical isn't it?

I have no idea what kind of team Pumas is. Never saw them. I have no idea what their travel schedule is like, whether key players are injured, whether they themselves are focused on the CCL, etc. It would be a little silly of me to then conclude that we won't be able to beat or draw them.

We didn't need to go "all in" on the Dallas game. There are quite a few hands left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Honestly, I would say that TFC aren't any better than they were this time last season. Yes, we have a new coach with a new style, yes we have completely new squad barring a couple of players, but are TFC playing any better? I would honestly have to say no I would actually say that TFC are possibly worse now. I think our best two players of this season (Plata and Eckersley) are not as good as last season's best two players (Nana and De Rosario), and the thing that makes it even worse, is that Plata and Eckersley aren't owned by TFC.
    Nana was never our best player?? And Frings is?? what??...your point may be correct but your argument is confusing.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    That said, to get pissed off and down on the team when it doesn't happen is illogical isn't it?
    No, not by definition. It depends why they're pissed off. It's one thing to expect another team to win because of performance to date, it's another to assume that domination is so complete that their opponents' lack of contribution is never a factor.

Our work ethic was shit for the first 70 minutes. We closed slowly, moved little or poorly off the ball and didn't switch play frequently, even though it was obvious we needed to create more space.

I expect to lose to a better team, sure. But if it's not accompanied by the kind of effort required to occasionally upset a better team, then it's entirely rational to get pissed off.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    It sucked but there were some bright spots.

Stinson is starting to become more comfortable out there. I'm really liking this kid and hope he continues to improve.

Also, can someone please tell Winter to stop putting Broman on the field. That guy is flat out garbage. I could find 50 guys in oldtimer leagues in the GTA that can play better than him. How this guy became a professional footballer is beyond me.

I think I hate Borman almost as much as Carts hates JDG.
    He caused the first nights goal, they were just running done his right side the whole night 45 mins. I mean he was passed numerous times and they were just playing longball the whole time, knowing his weakness. For the life of me I do not know why Henry and Morgan were not starters!..They are not timid and have the speed and strength to progress. As soon as I saw our backline I knew our night was predictable and a night that we would be on our heels. Our backend is in shambles!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Anyone have any attendance #s for this match?
    Let's see there was me, my wife, saw coach, Almo....I'd go with 3500..lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It's our defense. Our atrocious defense affects the entire team - too many big mistakes leading to goals. Our attackers don't have the confidence to commit to the attack, because they don't trust our defenders to manage without them - particularly our central midfied.

And frankly, I don't blame them, because they SHOULDN'T trust our central defenders.

Winter clearly doesn't trust them either, or he wouldn't be using Frings, his expensive new DP midfielder, as a starting option back there.

Solve this, and I think any offensive issues resolve themselves. It would also explain why nearly every time we've shown an offensive player the door, they've gone on to have better results elsewhere. Too much time spent with guys worriedly looking backwards.

How Winter handles this major problem, probably in the off-season, is going to weigh heavily on my judgment of him. Ecks is the only keeper we've got in the back four, and even he hasn't been consistently good the past couple of months. Left back is a shambles, and hopefully Cann is good enough to occupy one of our starting CB spots, although even he wasn't looking great in his limited action this year.

- Scott
    After all the freakouts this is the best analysis I've read....and it makes a LOT of sense...as dismayed as I am with our offence, Plata's sudden non-vision, poor crosses to who? This confused backline I imagine is THE place for improvement. Refreshing read rather than rhetoric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what pissed me off,other then a lack of talent.
    was the lack of effort they displyed last night and this morn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It definietly feels like TFC are on the verge of breaking through to the next level but just can't quite manage it.
    im sure we will see it next year with even more time to gel and a way better back line as well as prob one or two upgrades in offense.

People forget this is the start to the team that Winter wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on the assessment of the defense as the achilles that hasn't been resolved. We have enough attacking options and midfielders that we don't need to keep the revolving door going in those positions. But on defense, I'd ditch Borman and sign a decent experienced left back. I'd also sign a good CB who can pass (and doesn't resort to hoofing it up the pitch nervously under the slightest pressure). Eckersley is fine for MLS and Cann or Williams will be fine at CB if they have a good partner. Beyond that, I think it's time to settle down the roster and go with this bunch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also i dont see how anyone could possibly say we play anything like last year at this time. We are clearly more organized and capable of scoring goals.

I definitely agree with Borman (and have been saying so for a while). Hes actually decent going forward so id keep him for that at a low price but we definitely need a left back. Shit id like to see Viator there (or at CB) at least to see what dude can do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the absolute last thing we need is another new coach and another year of new players etc. What we have is a great start and will we see ieven better next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is #18? I can't believe that classless piss stain fired the ball into the stands after the final whistle like that. He deserves a coin in the temple plain and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Or better yet, be a realist and water it and watch it grow for a few years.
    It will take that long.
    This might be the most backwards expansion side ever created.

Portland could make the playoffs in year one, Seattle already did, Philly might make in year two, we need six years at the least.