Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Thanks for keeping us updated on this ongoing scandal. Sure makes for interesting reading.
    Jack Warner said there's a Tsunami coming, and just by reading over some of the articles in this thread I'd say he's spot on.

Confirmation of Amos Adamu (Nigeria), Ahongalu Fusimalohi (Tonga), and Amadou Diakite's (Mali) hearing dates at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

... and just in case all this isn't enough for you and you'd like it all summarised into something abou the size of a two fold pamphlet, there's this :

Corruption, Murder, and the Beautiful Game (On FIFA's scandalous history) - Brian Phillips - Grantland

it starts off talking about the 2018/22 World Cup bids and then backtracks to the demise of Rous and the rise of Havelange, and then Blatter.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

another piece of the puzzle. This article is dated August 11 (so don't expect any 'news', but rather more details, names of participants) :

SKNFA President to face FIFA Ethics Committee
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

shit, meet fan

Jack Warner statement on Chuck Blazer - 31st August 2011

... The payment I made to Blazer of $250,000 was the last of three payments which together totalled $750,000. The earlier payments were for $295,000 and $205,000. These were absolutely not in repayment for any loan. I have never had occasion to borrow money from Blazer. These monies were paid from the Carribean Football Union’s account with funds received from FIFA. I do not know why Blazer is pretending otherwise.
    oooo this is getting good ! hee hee !!!
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's that saying about people in glass houses throwing stones?

But for real, this is getting ridiculous. How can we expect objective referees if the crooks at the top stay in power?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one possible conclusion of this entire debacle:

There are NO compliance, monitoring nor accountability standards in place at CONCACAF. All of this is coming to light for one simple reason: One crook turned on another. Certainly not the most effective policing method known to man.

There are tiny mom-and-pop businesses that have more controls in place that this farce of an organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's true, and unfortunately it doesn't just apply to CONCACAF - but to all of FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Jack really wants to screw Blazer, he should get the IRS after him for these illegal payments. Of course, that would simply certify him as a crook as well. But at least not an American crook meaning he is out of reach of the American authorities. Blazer does not have that luxury.

Off-shore accounts are the favourite target of US tax authorities. Not only could Blazer be screwed at FIFA, he could go to jail.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    shit, meet fan

Jack Warner statement on Chuck Blazer - 31st August 2011

oooo this is getting good ! hee hee !!!
    They are all ratting on each other. Very interesting...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this is obviously part of Warner's Tsunami. I'm curious to see how the dominos topple and if they'll even connect to Blatter. Also interesting will be Lisle Austin's case. If Blazer is exposed does that mean he'll be reinstated. The CFU are small potatoes in this. The entire Executive Committee could get taken down. I'd love to see Teixeira out as well. This'll end in long jail sentences and a suicide or two.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Warner: I never borrowed from Blazer - printed in the Trinidad and Tobago news. essentially a reprint of Jack Warner's letter, linked above, but no source credited.

Valcke ‘fabricated’ bribery claims, says Bin Hammam - The Peninsula

DOHA: Former Asian Football Confederation President Mohamed bin Hammam has accused Fifa Secretary General Jerome Valcke of “fabricating” bribery claims with regard to Qatar winning the hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 09-02-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's a blog entry from Sepp himself. Posted in 'Inside World Football', it's dated 26 May, 2011. Not 'recent', but a look into the mind of the man soon to be wriggling on the hook. There haven't been any entries since this one. Perhaps he's been busy looking for a good place to bild a bunker.

I am all for the zero-tolerance policy I announced a while back and will continue to fight corruption in football to the best of my ability. But I also admire Chuck Blazer's civic courage and an initiative that resulted from reports he received from within the confederation he administers as its Secretary General. And from nowhere else.
    "and from nowhere else". Not sure what he's trying to do here - separate himself from the situation, give all responsibility to Blazer, or hang Warner out to dry... maybe all of the above.

... and there's a great bit at the bottom about a cow. No idea where he's taking us with that one.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now, I don't know if this is evidence of further FIFA shadyness or not, but let's face it, these days if your Grandmother took a job with them you'd stop trusting her, right ?

So anyway, a company called Bridgepoint (in the business of sporting events rights management) has just purchased another company named InFront. Now, InFront is the current rights-holder to the next World Cup (Brazil 2014). Since Bridgepoint is purchasing 100% of InFront, it means that all the shareholders will be cashed out.

It goes on to say "Management will be given a significant stake in the company going forward that is expected to make them multi-millionaires.. ".

Now, rather than spoil the surprise, I'll simply direct you to the article.

Bridgepoint buys Swiss sports rights company

I think you'll find it interesting.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

German football legend Rummenigge bids to clean up FIFA - Charles Sale - The Daily Mail

More about Rummenigge's thoughts on the current state of the game and his thoughts on a new direction.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, I don't know if this is evidence of further FIFA shadyness or not, but let's face it, these days if your Grandmother took a job with them you'd stop trusting her, right ?

So anyway, a company called Bridgepoint (in the business of sporting events rights management) has just purchased another company named InFront. Now, InFront is the current rights-holder to the next World Cup (Brazil 2014). Since Bridgepoint is purchasing 100% of InFront, it means that all the shareholders will be cashed out.

It goes on to say "Management will be given a significant stake in the company going forward that is expected to make them multi-millionaires.. ".

Now, rather than spoil the surprise, I'll simply direct you to the article.

Bridgepoint buys Swiss sports rights company

I think you'll find it interesting.
    oh man... this makes me sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    ^ That's true, and unfortunately it doesn't just apply to CONCACAF - but to all of FIFA.
    I hate to break it to people, but there's a loophole in Canadian electoral law that allows any Canadian politician not currently serving in cabinet or as prime minister to accept any amount of money for a "campaign contribution" and, as long as it is not used for that campaign, he or she is allowed to keep it, without declaring it as income, and without revealing its source.

No, not kidding. Democracy Watch has been trying to get them to close this loophole for years, but effectively what happened in CONCACAF is entirely legal with most Canadian politicians. Hell of a lobbying loophole.

Lots of international organizations are like this and western democracy, as good as it is compared to older models and civilizations, is basically kleptocractic, and in need of major reform.
    Last edited by jloome; 09-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who owns Bridgepoint? If the Blatters owned infront, then who owns bridgepoint? Any famous heavy hitters?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Belgian MEP Ivo Belet to open a new front on Fifa's governance

Belet's speech states that Fifa's lack of moral legitimacy has made it tough for football's political supporters to press the case for greater autonomy of governance under the "specificity of sport" principle – ie giving sport exemptions from rules that apply to normal businesses.
    There's a thread on the ECA summit in the International Forum, but it looks rather to all be on a trajectory for a head-on collision, what with the ongoing corruption investigations and the clubs and politicians saying FIFA is damaging the game.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    So who owns Bridgepoint? If the Blatters owned infront, then who owns bridgepoint? Any famous heavy hitters?
    Dunno. Bridgepoint Capital was known as NatWest Equity Partners until 2000.

Okay... this article here details the orignal 'sale' where the portfolios was sold off to it's managers (didn't know you could do that). The Chief Executive leading the buyout is/was David Shaw, who turns out to be, among other things, married to Glenn Close... (ah, so she's behind all this !).

Anyway, all I can tell is that Bridgepoint is a private equity firm (like it says on the tin), who invests in a lot of companies.

edit - should point out that Shaw now runs a company named 'Black Point' - also an investment firm. Not sure if there's an affiliation with BridgePoint. Also not sure if it's worth looking into.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 09-05-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bin Hammam hits out at FIFA

In what seems to be a recycled headline, ESPN gives us more information and yet another name in the game - Petrus Damaseb.

Bin Hammam, from Qatar, wrote in a letter to deputy ethics committee chairman Judge Petrus Damaseb, alleging the Namibian judge had been "a pawn" of Blatter.
    The letter, published by Bin Hammam, states: "Were I a European, or were the Caribbean part of Europe, neither Blatter nor Valcke will dare lay a finger on us; were we Europeans, you would have never been given the opportunity to chair this ethics committee panel and slaughter people left and right, as you have done."
    ... and here's a link to Bin Hamman's letter to Petrus Damaseb.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 09-06-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One of FIFA's own speaks out

In “FIFA, More Political than Football,” a 3,000-word passage in a memoir published by Chung Mong-joon, the former FIFA vice president breaks that inner code of silence.

More serious are Chung’s observations of a trial in a New York court over FIFA’s breaking of a contract with MasterCard in favor of Visa, its credit card rival. “In a ruling full of contempt for FIFA,” writes Chung, “the presiding judge mentioned the word ‘lie’ 13 times in reference to FIFA.”
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I admit and apologise that this thread is tending to weave all over the road a bit, but I am trying to keep everything related to the main theme of 'FIFA is in trouble'. It started with the Chuck Blazer business, but there were problems before that, and more since.

With that in mind, elsewhere herein there's a post of a letter from ChangeFIFA to the FIFA Ethics Committee requesting an investigation into the activities of Chuck Blazer.

Here is FIFA's response.

In view of all of the above, no ethics proceedings have been initiated against Mr. Chuck Blazer
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

... and Valcke backs Blazer - But for how much longer? - Andrew Jennings - Transparency in Sport

The evidence continues to pile up and FIFA continues to do nothing.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Belgian MEP Ivo Belet to open a new front on Fifa's governance

There's a thread on the ECA summit in the International Forum, but it looks rather to all be on a trajectory for a head-on collision, what with the ongoing corruption investigations and the clubs and politicians saying FIFA is damaging the game.
    So, Ivo said his piece today (you'll have to read down a bit). I also posted this link in the ECA Summit thread over in the Int'l forum.

In his speech, he said European legislators were paying attention to the discontent of professional clubs. The lack of decisive action after the corruption scandals, he said, “has severely damaged football in general, from the top to the grass-roots level.”
    I think there'll be some minor changes, and then we'll all hug.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep the information coming! There is more to be uncovered, I'm sure!

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shock! Sepp Blatter speaks with forked tongue - Andrew Jennings - Transparency in Sport

Sepp Blatter announces publically that he is drafting a ‘road map’ for reform at Fifa. Simultaneously last week, he secretly authorised throwing more Fifa money at Zurich lawyers in a desperate bid to prevent publication of a police report on bribery at Fifa that would bring a shameful end to his presidency.

Earlier this year Transparency in Sport and the BBC revealed the existence of this damning report, locked away in the office of the Zug public prosecutor. It’s the result of eight years of investigations by Magistrate Thomas Hildbrand seeking to discover which Fifa officials trousered an astonishing $100 million in bribes in return for giving World Cup contracts to the now defunct ISL marketing company.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Beautiful Bung: Corruption and the World Cup - Andrew Jennings - Panorama

This is a transcript of a PANORAMA episode that aired in 2006. More detail and history... must read if you crave the whole story. Includes a conversation between Jennings and an unnamed source inside ISL.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love Andrew Jennings and his shit disturbing investigating. He makes the high and powerful (FIFA, IOC) piss their pants in fear.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

FIFA sets hearing for Bin Hamman appeal to Life Ban from Football

Bin Hamman has set his expectations low, and expects to be approaching the Court of Arbitration for Sport after FIFA upholds it's decision.

I tend to think he underestimates Blatter, who no doubt won't want the CAS poking around FIFA affairs. Expect Bin Hamman to be let back into the club under conditions... probably the same for Lisle Austin as well.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Man, it's never a slow news day where FIFA is concerned...

FIFA terminate multi-million pound TV deal linked to Jack Warner

The agreement with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) has been brought to an end after FIFA told the organisation they had not approved the sub-licensing deal with Warner's company JD International (JDI).
    Warner, who was at that time also the CFU's president, sold the rights to Jamaica-based cable TV station SportsMax in 2007 for fee reported to be between 18million and 20million US dollars...
    ... The website said Warner "negotiated the deal on behalf of JDI" and "in his capacity as president of the CFU".
    Warner sells self TV rights, and then sells them off again... I wonder if the CFU gave JDI a good deal ?
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha