Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Updated: Philly signs Freddy Adu

Fox Soccer Report, just mentioned Freddy Adu is going to Chivas USA as a DP.

Also, Danny McMahon on FSC doesnt think that Eddie Johnson who was released by Fulham will be able to find a club to play for in Europe and most likely will be on his way to MLS as well.

I think at this point its also safe to say that former Chivas USA goalkeeper Brad Guzan who signed with Aston Villa will be playing in England much longer and is likely to return to MLS. Dude hasnt started a single game for Villa.

UPDATE: Apparently he's decided to go to Philadelphia Union instead of Chivas USA and its not quite known yet wether he will be a DP.
    Last edited by [NBF]; 08-12-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess its safe to say the Jose Bosingwa deal fell through?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aaahhhhh hahahahahaha

I hope they do sign him!!!!!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freddy is still a good player. Great showing at the Gold Cup. He's what 21, with 7 years of pro experience.

A DP though? Not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    Freddy is still a good player. Great showing at the Gold Cup. He's what 21, with 7 years of pro experience.

A DP though? Not sure.
    I am thinking the same thing, I wouldn't say he has been a complete failure in europe but not awe inspiring enought to be a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guzan to the mls?

not a chance...plenty of teams want him in europe...villa is holding on to him for no apparent reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Junior Hoilett to Toronto FC for a 4th Round draftpick in the supplemental draft and allocation money.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice to have Adu as our AM....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A low end DP, yes. Might actually work for CUSA, NER would be another one where he would fit well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold the presses. Ives reporting that upper management at Chivas balked and he's going to Phily

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...hia-union.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah pretty much confirmed that he is going to Philly as DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read it's not a DP deal. Guess we'll wait till tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFAIK this is the allocation order right now:

1. Chivas USA
    2. Philadelphia Union
    3. Houston Dynamo
    4. Toronto FC

I wonder if we'll have the chance to pick up anyone interesting this season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    It would be nice to have Adu as our AM....
    No thanks,there is a good reason why he changed 5 clubs and 4 countries in less than 3 years.

0 work ethic,spending more time on Twitter and FB than practicing,MLS made him a star to early,now he is average MLS player and burned out at the age of 22, I think under Klinsi he wont see USMNT anytime soon.

and Freddy Adu nails deal with Union
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if this guy wasn't American, he wouldn't be in MLS again, and wouldn't be getting DP money. He's still a big project to me. It's not like he's lit up any of the leagues he's been in since he left MLS.

I can't judge him on the Gold Cup, since from what I remember, he only came on as a sub late in one game and started in the final (less than 1.5 games out of 6). I do remember he had a nice pass down to the wing to Donovan against Panama (I think), which eventually led to a goal.

He has talent, but a DP is too much for a guy like him. He should start at 125-175K, regain form, prove he has it and can be consistent, and then we can talk about DP status. He's still living off the hype, back when MLS wasn't what it is today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I think if this guy wasn't American, he wouldn't be in MLS again, and wouldn't be getting DP money. He's still a big project to me. It's not like he's lit up any of the leagues he's been in since he left MLS.

I can't judge him on the Gold Cup, since from what I remember, he only came on as a sub late in one game and started in the final (less than 1.5 games out of 6). I do remember he had a nice pass down to the wing to Donovan against Panama (I think), which eventually led to a goal.

He has talent, but a DP is too much for a guy like him. He should start at 125-175K, regain form, prove he has it and can be consistent, and then we can talk about DP status. He's still living off the hype, back when MLS wasn't what it is today.
    What exactly were his stats in mls anywats?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

I watched his play in Greece and Turkey and he was a lot more mature. They still seemed to use him late in games a lot, which I guess isn't a great sign, but he was very effective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of a depressing DP signing. Hey, we signed this American guy who failed his way out of Europe!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Kind of a depressing DP signing. Hey, we signed this American guy who failed his way out of Europe!

- Scott
    Donoavan failed in Europe and JDG thrived. Adu is a game changer and JDG isn't. So what is depressing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think sayong Donovan "failed' in Europe is simplistic. He failed to stick at Bayern Munich, but more than impressed at Everton, and were it not for LA not wanting to let him go, he'd probably be there now.

And my point was that bringing in a DP who failed out of Europe is sad, as opposed to bringing in a veteran with career achievements, or a younger player who was thriving. I have no idea how he will do in MLS, though I suspect not as well as you evidently expect.

He never stuck in Europe, and the quality of MLS has improved dramatically since he originally impressed here.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 08-11-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in fairness how much time did Adu get in Europe?
    Dont forget he was in at least 1 coaching change in portugal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oops, I need to learn to read.
    Last edited by jaahuuu; 08-12-2011 at 07:49 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way Freddy Adu is worth a DP spot. He's a decent but underperforming compared with his hype player, that's been true everywhere he's played, even when he was with DC United he was far from being their best player.

The thing that was amazing about him was how early he developed his skills. People looked at that trajectory, and thought he was the next Pele (and he was hyped as that too). However, his development hasn't continued on at that pace.

Later on questions arose about his true age (age fraud is very common in Ghana). It's been alleged that he was no way the prodigy that was thought, but he actually was a couple of years older, and just a somewhat above-average player.

I'll be quite happy if Chivas wastes a DP spot on Freddy, He's a decent player, but using up that much cap space is poor return on investment.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's the deal with this? I read an article on Soccernet saying he was heading to Philly, and not Chivas.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...on-reports-say
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 08-12-2011 at 08:18 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    What's the deal with this? I read an article on Soccernet saying he was heading to Philly, and not Chivas.
    Philly is next on the allocation list. If Chivas can't come to terms with him, Philly gets a crack. After that, Houston, then Toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dunno if hes worth the DP money but he'll prob get paid it as its the MLS, hes a young 'promising' american and hes played at numerous bigger teams. I dont think hes amazing but i do think people are underestimating him right now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id take him on this team for sure at a reasonable price

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think of him as the american rohan ricketts
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats a bit extreme man

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Id take him on this team for sure at a reasonable price
    $200k, no problem. That's around what he's really worth in terms of play. However, his "star-power" hasn't worn off yet Stateside, so he'll get more than that.