Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I think VAGISIL would be more appropriate for Columbus.
    "For When You've Got Something Fungal... Down In Your Lady Jungle!, Vagisil"
    "When dryness lingers, get some cream on those fingers. Vagisil!"
    "I scream you scream, we all scream for vagina cream. Vagisil!"
    Last edited by madcow; 08-09-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: doubled

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    No, having no sponsor would be fantastic. People actually enjoy seeing stupid ads on jerseys? I know the mentality on here is that all North American sports suck, but give me a break.
    Well, considering your complaint is that having the sponsor on the shirt is "bush league", the only reasonable thing to do is to compare against leagues that you would not consider "bush" in the first place. I assume you would consider the top 3 leagues in the world, the EPL, La Liga and Serie A to be a proper standard. Which of those leagues don't have shirt sponsors?

Now if you are comparing this to North American sports, then you are not being fair because soccer has a different revenue model than say baseball or basketball. Those sports leagues make money off of TV revenue. So for soccer teams to make similar money, they'd have to do things like stop every couple of minutes of play for a television commercial time-out. Would that be more to your liking or wouldn't that be more "bush league"?

If not, how would you recommend teams make up the endorsement difference?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Well, considering your complaint is that having the sponsor on the shirt is "bush league"
    When did I say that? I said it was stupid. Necessary, but stupid.

Somehow, people are misinterpreting my original post as me saying MLS was bush league because of the two teams sharing a sponsor which I quite clearly never said.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Now if you are comparing this to North American sports, then you are not being fair because soccer has a different revenue model than say baseball or basketball. Those sports leagues make money off of TV revenue. So for soccer teams to make similar money, they'd have to do things like stop every couple of minutes of play for a television commercial time-out. Would that be more to your liking or wouldn't that be more "bush league"?

If not, how would you recommend teams make up the endorsement difference?
    You said that it was better than having no sponsor. I countered with my opinion that having no sponsor would be swell for the eyes. Do you disagree with that? Do you like having ads on every jersey? It's necessary, but not something I enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that BMO is hoping to attract the kids of today to be there future account holders . It will be interesting to see if the soccer youth of today transfers into future BMO account holders in the next 5 to 10 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

benfica sportig and porto have the same sponsors on there jerseys its not uncommon

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's bush league/Mickey Mouse, but so is MLS.
    When did I say that? I said it was stupid. Necessary, but stupid.

Somehow, people are misinterpreting my original post as me saying MLS was bush league because of the two teams sharing a sponsor which I quite clearly never said.

You said that it was better than having no sponsor. I countered with my opinion that having no sponsor would be swell for the eyes. Do you disagree with that? Do you like having ads on every jersey? It's necessary, but not something I enjoy.
    Having no sponsor would mean having the city plastered on the shirt which is in this day and age bush league.

As to the Old Firm sharing a sponsor it applies only to the rivalry aspect and not to the fact they share the same city. Now if Tennant's was a west Glasgow beer only that would be something.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    "For When You've Got Something Fungal... Down In Your Lady Jungle!, Vagisil"
    "When dryness lingers, get some cream on those fingers. Vagisil!"
    "I scream you scream, we all scream for vagina cream. Vagisil!"
    Pete Twinkle and Greg Stink rule!
    Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    it's not bush league, it's $$$.
    if a company can buy the naming rights to a LEAGUE, i don't see how its fair to complain about the kits. yes, i do get that its more freedom for the teams, but honestly, its freedom that doesnt benefit everyone equally. the league takes payment from adidas, the money trickles down and does something better, keeps the league going.

it's financially stable now, yeah, but money there's no ill i can speak about ensuring the league keeps financially stable through this. id love to see some variety, but there's a difference between what i want and what ensures the future of the league my team is in. either way, the contract isnt up until 2015 (i think) and at that point im sure its going to be discussed amongst MLS and the owners.
    Wait, how does the league having cookie cutter jerseys = money?

MLS can't make the same deal with adidas without having the same bloody design for all clubs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Max_TO View Post
    I was wondering your thoughts as to both Toronto and Montreal sporting the BMO logo on there uniforms next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal;1359879[B
    ]Somehow, people are misinterpreting my original post as me saying MLS was bush league[/b] because of the two teams sharing a sponsor which I quite clearly never said.
    No, once again provide me where I said that MLS was bush league because of this? I merely said MLS was also bush league.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Wait, how does the league having cookie cutter jerseys = money?

MLS can't make the same deal with adidas without having the same bloody design for all clubs?

trust me, i share the same view. its not that theyre making money off of cookie cutter kits. theyre making money partnering with adidas, the league gets money for making their kits exclusive.

ADIDAS is the one making cookie cutter kits, and from what ive read, its the teams that have a say in whats being put on their players, not the league. adidas has templates every year and it looks like they stick to them a lot of the time without much variance, observe.. the frankenkit:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm just thinking that when MLS negotiates the next deal, since they are looking to improve the global perspective of the league, they'd put in a stipulation to not allow a league wide template since it's counter productive to that.

Even if they increased it to 3 or 4 templates it would be so much better than 1 for all 20 clubs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Barrett19 View Post
    benfica sportig and porto have the same sponsors on there jerseys its not uncommon
    Bank of God!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I didn't realize TMN (cellphone provider) was the bank of god. LOL

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I didn't realize TMN (cellphone provider) was the bank of god. LOL
    LOL.

I was talking about the Banco Espirito Santo.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think they're out at least with Benfica.

Benfica has TMN (telecommunication) on front, MEO (TV) on the sleeve, Sagres (beer company and league sponsor) on the back.

I believe it's the same with Porto and Sporting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Montreal used to be sponsored by the Government of Quebec. Just be glad they didn't sponsor us too ...
    LOL.
    That would be funny.
    TFC's sponsor is Quebec. lol

I'd like to see Fido or possibly a poutine joint.
    Parks Canada anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though not the same league, Arsenal, Hamburg and AC Milan all have Emirates as a sponsor.

Doesn't bother me really. Even having BMO as a sponsor of TFC isn't an issue. They give us a bit of cash and do a lot of good things for Football development over here.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be funny if TD sponsored Montreals jersey, but as it stands I give it a big meh....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Though not the same league, Arsenal, Hamburg and AC Milan all have Emirates as a sponsor.

Doesn't bother me really. Even having BMO as a sponsor of TFC isn't an issue. They give us a bit of cash and do a lot of good things for Football development over here.
    you forgot PSG, but i agree. now we just need a sponsor for the national program..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD, BMO, Scotia, who cares. These may have been regional banks....many many many years ago! These are all national banks now and are a part of Canada. If there's anything to be proud of here, it's our stand-up banking system.

it's not like we're sponsored by Lehman Brothers, or like the Houston Astros that played in the Enron Centre.

sponsor all the Canadian teams BMO for all I care, they're a stand-up company that is supporting the sport and helping keeping Canada out of the financial gutter at the same time.

kudos to BMO for stepping up and spending money in a time and age where companies are hesitant to do so. Keep on sponsoring.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm with Cereal on the bit about no sponsor on the shirt looking fantastic. Just think back to the '70's, or look at any National Team's kit - no sponsors. Just the colours and the crest. Those retro club jerseys are delish. The shirt and the crest with nothing else on it - that's the way to go. Is it KC that's doing this now ? Lucky bastards. As soon as TFC goes that route - even for one season - I'll get me one of those shirts.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    Are you retarded? You've proven my point. Do you know what "but so is" means? I'll give you a hint, it's a lot different than "because".

Honestly, I won't be surprised if english isn't your first language, but this should be quite simple.
    Last edited by Super Cereal; 08-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I'm with Cereal on the bit about no sponsor on the shirt looking fantastic. Just think back to the '70's, or look at any National Team's kit - no sponsors. Just the colours and the crest. Those retro club jerseys are delish. The shirt and the crest with nothing else on it - that's the way to go. Is it KC that's doing this now ? Lucky bastards. As soon as TFC goes that route - even for one season - I'll get me one of those shirts.
    I'm with you on this...I never understand people's fixations with sponsors on the kit. Why would you ever want one? I know we will never see it as long as we are owned by MLSE, but it would be fantastic if whomever our next owner is went the classy route of no sponsor on the kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you retarded? You've proven my point. Do you know what "but so is" means? I'll give you a hint, it's a lot different than "because".

Honestly, I won't be surprised if english isn't your first language, but this should be quite simple.
    It is quite simple.... You're now resorting to personal insults because he got you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    It is quite simple.... You're now resorting to personal insults because he got you.
    The only thing that got to me was his striking lack of reading comprehension and difficulty grasping the english language.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that got to me was his striking lack of reading comprehension and difficulty grasping the english language.
    Ughh..

English language ... not english language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's hilarious given their ads say they are a "loyal fan" of TFC. #truthinadvertising

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fyp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how long the deal with BMO is in place, but once it expires, TFC should try to use one of the organization's other existing corporate sponsors. Despite my EPL loyalties, I think Carlsberg would look fantastic as a sponsor on TFC's kit.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Despite my EPL loyalties, I think Carlsberg would look fantastic as a sponsor on TFC's kit.
    Can I ask you why you think any sponsor would look fantastic on TFC's kit? Wouldn't a shirt with no sponsor look even better?