Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RSL @ TFC Pre-Match Thread

TFC has a rare break in the schedule to prepare for a true litmus test against one of the best in MLS, in the friendly confines of BMO Field. Real Salt Lake has struggled as of late, but their dangerous group of fowards will undoubtedly cause problems for TFC's vulnerable backline. I hope Winter will try a new CB pairing, but he will likely go right back to Andy Iro in an effort to help the much maligned defender regain his form, as well as his confidence.

TFC 2 RSL 2

---------------Frei--------------

Eckersley--Robinson--Iro--Morgan

-----DeGuzman------Frings-------

---------------Avila--------------

Johnson---------------------Plata

------------Koevermans----------

Subs: Dunfield, Marosevic, Griffit
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-08-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iwouldnt mind seeing Robinson or Viator out there with Iro

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iro vs diving twatness of Saborio is another PK waiting to happen
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of curiousity, why were Soolsma and Martina left off the roster Saturday? Anyone know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer Plata coming on as a sub:

---------------Frei----------------

Eckersley--Henry--Iro--Morgan-

-----DeGuzman------Frings-------

---------------Avila----------------

Soolsma---------------------Johnson

------------Koevermans----------

subs: Plata, Dunfield, Marosevic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is we'll see the return of Harden at CB this game. He'll then proceed to get destroyed by Saborio and will become the new whipping boy. Simply put, we have no good options in three positions on our defense. I honestly don't care at this point who plays there. They all have the ability to have a disastrous game.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3-1 Tfc

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Out of curiousity, why were Soolsma and Martina left off the roster Saturday? Anyone know?
    My guess is with the recent moves they were deemed not even good enough for the bench.

They both played in the reserve game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martina sure, Soolsma is still around and still useful.
    Whens Griffit supposed to be healthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being unbeaten in 4 is fine. This is the true test for the new guys and will help understand the amount of progress we're seeing if there is any. They're at home against a quality side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally.... a home game after the new lineup has had some games together on the road, and the team has a week between games for rest (something highly unusual this season). I hope that's enough to compete with this RSL team that has stumbled a bit recently.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Olave is out with injury still so at least a bit of mercy in that. That guy is a stud CB
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can definitely be competitve with them, especially at home as we've been against FC Dallas, LA. With the sell-out, not time to have a Philly-esque home game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    My guess is we'll see the return of Harden at CB this game. He'll then proceed to get destroyed by Saborio and will become the new whipping boy. Simply put, we have no good options in three positions on our defense. I honestly don't care at this point who plays there. They all have the ability to have a disastrous game.
    Well, there are still two options at CB in Viator and Robinson that haven't been given an opportunity yet (at CB in Viator's case). Perhaps you are correct, but it's premature to come to any conclusions regarding these players. At LB, Morgan, Yourassowsky, and Borman have all proven to be reasonable options at times this season, it's just a matter of one of them finding consistency.

In any case, I hope neither Iro or Harden see the pitch on Saturday. It's time to give others a chance to prove themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Martina sure, Soolsma is still around and still useful.
    Whens Griffit supposed to be healthy?
    Griffit should be eligible to play because he is now officially off the injured reserve list. My guess is he will come on as a late sub on the wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I'll be watching for this game: tactical adjustments by management.

You have to know when you're the worse squad and adjust accordingly. Even Barcelona makes adjustments to the way they play depending on the quality of their opposition. We can't just hold to this idea that we're going to play 4-3-3 and that's it.

I want to see two midfielders spending a lot of time shielding the backline and fullbacks that are pragmatic about going forward. I also want to see everyone track back and defend on occasion with the exception of Koevermans.

We only lost to FCD by a goal and they are playing just as well as RSL this year. I'll take the visitors by a goal making it 3-2 on a late winner, but TFC playing a competitive game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think more like 2-0 RSL who just spanked NYRB 3-0 in previous game.

RSL is lacking a bit of depth up front but their mid is quite deep and I expect RSL to win the midfield battle and take it to shambles of TFC defence.

If I was Winter I'd play 4-5-1 to choke out RSL midfield

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a few weeks of playing together, I think the team will generate a result out of this being that they are playing at home.

We show we can score and can't defend so a 2-2 result is my guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, high scoring draw seems reasonable.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another draw will be likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid we're going to get spanked in front of a full house at BMO, followed by a good-sized board meltdown. However, I won't mind being positively surprised.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm afraid we're going to get spanked in front of a full house at BMO, followed by a good-sized board meltdown. However, I won't mind being positively surprised.
    So you are going out on a limb and saying it will be just like 90% of our home games this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Ye of little faith.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that the days of TFC getting embarassed on their own pitch are over. Regardless of the result, I predict it will be a close, hard fought match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Ye of little faith.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that the days of TFC getting embarassed on their own pitch are over. Regardless of the result, I predict it will be a close, hard fought match.
    I dont think this is that out of order, its more or less what we've seen from our team over the span of the last 4-5 games and what we will continue to see, in fact we will prob continue to progress as players begin to understand each other. Of course our defense still needs a shit ton of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mentioned in today's news thread, this game sold out a lil while ago. Should be a good crowd...............of tourists.

Anywho, TFC shocks the RPB and wins the match. Who cares what the score will be, they'll just win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL has zooming confidence. If they come in a bit tired, maybe we scratch a 1-0 win or a 2-0 win. Otherwise, 1-1 or 2-1 RSL. Olave is a beast and will easily be the toughest CB Koevermans has gone up against here.

Maybe they'll overkey on him though, open up some space for Avila from the hole.

I think we're at the point where a lot of games in this league could go either way, save for a few boners from the usual suspects. This late in the season, overall league parity becomes much more of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC has been rarely blown out at home this year (only 2 of 12 league games could be classified as such, and they were back in April and May), so I seriously doubt RSL will blow out TFC. Dallas only scratched out a 1-0 win at BMO against the "new look" TFC and Dallas is a better team than RSL right now. Most league games at BMO have been exceedingly close this season. RSL's biggest road win was 2-0 against New England. Where RSL is dominant is at home, at the high altitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill predict another high-scoring game as well. Something like 2-2, 3-2, 3-3 with the 3-2 game going either way. We will put up a good effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't see a side with rested Frings and closer to in-shape Koevermans get dominated.

I think if one of our CBs begins to have a meltdown, Frings will personally strap them to his back and continue to scare off RSL attacks.

Also, I know most will disagree, but JDG and Frings will form a good experienced DMs for this upcoming game, with JDG being the Dynamic link in the middle.

Some other thoughts:

-Use Plata as a super Sub, it would be going a bit far to start him again, considering he is still very young
    -Viator looked poor in the Reserves Highlights
    -Yourass looked horrible for the reserves out of the little that I've seen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Griffit should be eligible to play because he is now officially off the injured reserve list. My guess is he will come on as a late sub on the wings.
    Really? I thought he wasn't available until the Dallas game on Aug. the 24th.

Columbus put him on IR on July 13th, he was traded on the 15th, six league games later is Aug. 24th as far as I can tell.