Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Today's News,Monday,Aug.08

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coed girls 1, 2
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

The Dynasty Continues - RWN - Champions SoctoberFest! '11, GoTFC Supporters Cup '10. Indoor Cup '10, '09, Niagara Cup '08 & '09. Be Champions. 6 for 8 :)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a STUNNING goal by JDG on the weekend.. shame we didnt get the result. thought we deserved it.. IRO still settling in. . and since he is a scouser, I will cut him oodles of slack. .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. The columnist used the word irregardless.

2. Ninth minute red card foul. This might be picky, but it looked like the foul was at 6:12 into the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's some news...

TFC vs RSL on Saturday...sold out last week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    what a STUNNING goal by JDG on the weekend.. shame we didnt get the result. thought we deserved it.. IRO still settling in. . and since he is a scouser, I will cut him oodles of slack. .

Sttling in means geting use to a system and new players. iro is slow and that wont change and makes terrible decisions with and without the ball. that probably won't change either. as much as the Johnson pick up was great, this one is awfull. He is costing games and points. He can't play next game. They need to sit him, talk to him and give him another chance in 2 games. if he still stings,mmanagement needs to admit they made a mistake and go on from there.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TotalFootball View Post
    Sttling in means geting use to a system and new players. iro is slow and that wont change and makes terrible decisions with and without the ball. that probably won't change either. as much as the Johnson pick up was great, this one is awfull. He is costing games and points. He can't play next game. They need to sit him, talk to him and give him another chance in 2 games. if he still stings,mmanagement needs to admit they made a mistake and go on from there.
    The million dollar question now is:

Who is left to play defense??....do we send in Henry to do that???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Here's some news...

TFC vs RSL on Saturday...sold out last week!
    Holy crap, was not expecting that. This may end up being embarrassing for the home team...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iro was VERY GOOD with a good Columbus team last season (voted PLAYER OF THE YEAR)...so what has he lost in 1 year? yes I agree he's slow, but IMO should still be given another chance...

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And all the scouts that had him at 6th overall in the draft need to admit a "mistake" in the draft and they should rescind his 3 NCAA Defensive Player of the Year and All-American honours.

?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. Just look at the circumstances. Iro hadn't played in Columbus. He jumps into a brand new line up, travels 22 hours on a plane, 4 hours in a bus and across 3 time zones all in the span of 7 days and has a bad game. How can that happen? He must be garbage?

I am glad that some scouts don't base their opinion on a short snap shot in time like some.

I know Toronto loves to have a whipping boy but stick with the big picture. He's a left footed, tall CB who has displayed talent at every level he has played at. To the point that he distinguished himself from his peers in the NCAA and had a very good transition to the MLS.

Give it time. Certainly more than "2 more games" before you write him off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Iro was VERY GOOD with a good Columbus team last season (voted PLAYER OF THE YEAR)...so what has he lost in 1 year? yes I agree he's slow, but IMO should still be given another chance...

That' what i said. Sit him and talk to him and then give him another chance. he was good but He did not start 1 game for Columbus all year... That must mean something.

Also, it does not matter what he has done in the past, it is pretty clear what he is doing now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    And all the scouts that had him at 6th overall in the draft need to admit a "mistake" in the draft and they should rescind his 3 NCAA Defensive Player of the Year and All-American honours.

?

I'm not trying to be confrontational. Just look at the circumstances. Iro hadn't played in Columbus. He jumps into a brand new line up, travels 22 hours on a plane, 4 hours in a bus and across 3 time zones all in the span of 7 days and has a bad game. How can that happen? He must be garbage?

I am glad that some scouts don't base their opinion on a short snap shot in time like some.

I know Toronto loves to have a whipping boy but stick with the big picture. He's a left footed, tall CB who has displayed talent at every level he has played at. To the point that he distinguished himself from his peers in the NCAA and had a very good transition to the MLS.

Give it time. Certainly more than "2 more games" before you write him off.
    Ok agreed. More than 2 games but the problem is that he is costing games for TFC. So how about he plays the MLS games since we are ut of the playofss but we don,t play him against the fast central americans players that TFC will face in CCL.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Holy crap, was not expecting that. This may end up being embarrassing for the home team...
    Might?

I think it's going to be a HUGE surprise if it's not a blowout on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    1. The columnist used the word irregardless.
    I haven't clicked on the link yet.... but a mistake like that screams "Toronto Sun" to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Iro actually win player of the year for the Crew last year?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok agreed. More than 2 games but the problem is that he is costing games for TFC. So how about he plays the MLS games since we are ut of the playofss but we don,t play him against the fast central americans players that TFC will face in CCL.
    Perhaps. Though I am pretty sure that he's played against some fast opponents before.

The collective bandwagon circling around Iro reminds me of a golf buddy of mine.

The guy steps up to the tee and if he shanks the first one, he tees up a "breakfast ball" or mulligan. If he pars the first hole, his mood is ok until he starts to make mistakes. If he starts the first 2 holes +2 or worse, his day is essentially over. He gets down on himself, complains, and generally shoots worse.

It's as if a player needs a perfect start in order to earn fan respect. Start with a little adversity (even with 22 hours of travel, etc) and you are written off. It's like we'll cycle through players until we get one who starts well.

All the while, like the golfer, if we just look at the big picture in that there are plenty of holes left to play and over time, our true ability would emerge. The challenge is to stop listening to our short term brain and get out of our own way.

Iro has a solid resume for an MLS defender. We can write him off or allow time for that resume to prove itself.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Did Iro actually win player of the year for the Crew last year?
    He won this:

Crew Coaches Award
    2010 Winner- Andy Iro
    Selected by the Crew coaching staff, the Coaches Award is presented to the player or players they considered to be the most coachable and to possess all of the characteristics of a true team player, including attitude and work ethic. This year’s winner is Any Iro, who became a fixture at central defense in his third season in Black & Gold, forming one of the league’s top partnerships with Chad Marshall, while also developing into an offensive weapon with six goals in all competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yeah surprised me too. I was on the Danforth on the weekend, the TFC booth guy was saying it and I didn't believe it.

I checked and you can't get tickets on ticketmaster.

Hopefully that doesn't mean the top of 111 is going to be seated fuckin families though. It's bad enough when I try and sing and nobody else does, but having people look at me like I'm the one that's weird just doesn't sit right with me.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait a minute... there are no tickets for Saturday's game?
    Haven't seen that happen in a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to understand whether some of you think a sold out stadium is a good or bad thing... LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I'm trying to understand whether some of you think a sold out stadium is a good or bad thing... LOL.
    Good for the scalpers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He won this:

Crew Coaches Award
    2010 Winner- Andy Iro
    Selected by the Crew coaching staff, the Coaches Award is presented to the player or players they considered to be the most coachable and to possess all of the characteristics of a true team player, including attitude and work ethic. This year’s winner is Any Iro, who became a fixture at central defense in his third season in Black & Gold, forming one of the league’s top partnerships with Chad Marshall, while also developing into an offensive weapon with six goals in all competitions.

That does not mean that you have skill and that you are good!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they just gave him that award to help boost his trade value?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now we know why Iro lost his job to Julius James.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He won this:

Crew Coaches Award
    2010 Winner- Andy Iro
    Yey, sounds like he won the nice guy award if you ask me. I'm glad that's clarified, because I had a very hard time understand how he was a supposive "MVP" on that team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He won this:

Crew Coaches Award
    2010 Winner- Andy Iro

a) it's a lot easier to be good playing alongside chad marshall for columbus than it is to be playing in tfc's chaos, with 3 different cb partners already.

b) TFC is littered with decent-ish mls defenders who we've made look terrible, iro's the latest, before that harden, gargan, garcia etc etc. How long before we stop blaming the individual players and realise it's tfc's fault. we've let in 46 goals in 25 mls games this year, we'll have to restrict it to 4 goals in our last 9 games to finish the season below 1.5 goals per game) what was the problem before iro came along?

Preki understood the lack of talent and came up with a system that made them look ok. but when injuries reduced us to obie and ibbe up front, who weren't good enough to create goals by themselves, he didn't adjust to help them out, and thus obviously we couldn't score. for better or worse, preki took all the shit for that.

now, winter's doing the opposite of that, giving no defensive help to defenders who just aren't good enough to be able to do it by themselves. defenders should take a bit of the blame sure, but Winter should be taking blame for asking them to play above themselves, with unsurprisingly bleak results, and winter/mariner should take blame for still not being able to get us the top class defender we'd need to really anchor the back line and give them a chance within this system.

piling on Iro right now, and suggesting he's useless is really looking at a very small part of the puzzle.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, that doesn't mean MVP.

And being a scout, scouts make mistakes all the time, the key is to make as few as possible. And accolades that you've won in lower levels means squat when you turn pro.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That does not mean that you have skill and that you are good!
    Didn't say it did. I said he established himself as a standout amongst his peers at the NCAA level and made a successful transition to the MLS. Which is true.

Clearly though he has no skill and is no good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garcia and Harden were/aren't decent-ish. More like garbage-ish.

We won't solve the central defender issues this year. They don't grow on trees unfortunately. Also don't think Cann will solve it next year when he's back. He was always scary on the ball, which is not good in a system based on building from the back.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iro was a starting CB if I remember correctly for the Crew under Schmid. I think with someone more experienced he would be better.