RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin' D, and once again thanks

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was pretty thrilling. The match was a lot of things, but it certainly wasn't dull.

let's hope this can be the closure on the Dero chapter.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post

Are you kidding? It's got years to run.

What's the over/under on how long before the first "bring back Dero" thread is put up?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Denime!

The match was mental, i'm happy the new players are forcing things to happen (like avila chasing that ball down). Dero just played like a man on fire last night, against Iro with a career worst game most likely. Let's give Dasan Robinson a crack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also news.

Former CF Gordon to likely undergo surgery, out for 1 month.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...st-earthquakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was pretty thrilling. The match was a lot of things, but it certainly wasn't dull.

He still has to play against TFC at BMO Field first.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, it was the switch to a 3 man defensive backline that did the team in. I think after DC United lost a man they were lined up 4-3-2 with 2 strikers and TFC was playing something like a 3-4-3, but to put a big defender in the backline by himself and a rookie left back was putting too much pressure on the backline, especially if that pressure is coming from two MLS veterans in Chris Potzus and everyones favorite De-Ro.

TFC was definitely lucky to even get anything. Stefan Frei is definitely a lesser goalkeeper than the one everyone thought would be leaving for Europe. He's almost like a poor man's Will Hesmer. He was playing erratic the entire game, but blame the defensive woes.......I dont know

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thrilling? Well I guess so in a kind of "what kind of possible f**k up are we going to see next" sort of way. And I mean that from both teams viewpoint as well as the officiating.
    The botched substitution leading to the TFC goal by DeGuzman was truly shameful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Thrilling? Well I guess so in a kind of "what kind of possible f**k up are we going to see next" sort of way. And I mean that from both teams viewpoint as well as the officiating.
    The botched substitution leading to the TFC goal by DeGuzman was truly shameful.
    Ya I didn't feel great about that goal either. It was... I dunno. TFC seemed lackadaisical (I can't spell that for the life of me) in the first half. Like after the red card they figured they won no matter what. The energy in the 2nd half was way better. I think if Frei didn't have hand/wrist issues then he probably stops that first Dero goal. And if Iro wasn't such a slut and could keep his freaking legs closed then the 2nd goal wouldn't have happened either. So coming away from the match: still like the way the offense seems to be coming together. Like that energy/effort seems to be up in general. LOVE Eckersley. He saved TFC in the first half from a total collapse. Every run he made was dangerous, and he was great getting back and making challenges. It's still the backline that needs work. Iro clearly wasn't getting minutes in Columbus for a reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Steve Goff:

United’s rut at RFK Stadium reached seven matches in league play (0-2-5) and nine in all competitions (0-4-5). DCU has secured just one of a possible six points in the last two home matches against teams that arrived winless on the road (New England and Toronto).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fantastic breakdown of the referreeing cock up on our 2nd goal here from dc blog black and red united

from the refs official report.

Clarification of sequence of events for the substitution of D.C. United player, McDonald (out), White (in) in the 69th minute:

In the 66th minute D.C. United player, McDonald left the field of play due to injury and did not return. Play was restarted with a drop ball. After roughly two minutes of play, the fourth official notified the referee for the next available substitution for D.C. United. The next stoppage was a throw-in for Toronto in the 69th minute. Play was stopped and the referee beckoned the substitute, D.C. United player, White on to the field. At that moment, the Senior Assistant Referee and the fourth official told the player to enter the field of play, which he did. Play was restarted with the whistle and the ball was put into play by Toronto.
    very very dubious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    also news.

Former CF Gordon to likely undergo surgery, out for 1 month.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...st-earthquakes
    This was interesting;

Gordon said it wasn’t a thigh problem at all, but a double-abdominal hernia he suffered three months ago, a situation he feels was “misdiagnosed” by Toronto FC’s medical staff. The target man could go under the knife as early as Tuesday, although a team spokesman stressed that no firm decision has been made yet between rest, rehabilitation or surgery.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    IMO, it was the switch to a 3 man defensive backline that did the team in. I think after DC United lost a man they were lined up 4-3-2 with 2 strikers and TFC was playing something like a 3-4-3, but to put a big defender in the backline by himself and a rookie left back was putting too much pressure on the backline, especially if that pressure is coming from two MLS veterans in Chris Potzus and everyones favorite De-Ro.

TFC was definitely lucky to even get anything. Stefan Frei is definitely a lesser goalkeeper than the one everyone thought would be leaving for Europe. He's almost like a poor man's Will Hesmer. He was playing erratic the entire game, but blame the defensive woes.......I dont know
    very much agree, iro can be a decent mls defender, but if you're going to go with a 3 man defence, one of which is a converted midfielder, and another a rookie left back, that third defender needs to be seriously good and able to handle the situation. Iro clearly isn't that good, and should never have been put in that situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Closure...???

We have three DP's on the pitch and Dero almost single handedly changes the outcome of the game, on a side with 10-men for 80+ minutes...

He'll be MLS Player-of-the-Week for the 2nd week in a row, MLS Player-of-the-Month for sure, and this will bring closure to us trading him for a feud with FO...?

If anything, unfortunately, it opened it up HUGE...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night's game finally showed Winter's ability to act during the match...

At the half, he changed things up - and that was a huge difference...

I was hoping Iro would get a red and get him off the pitch he was that bad...

The ref could very well be canned for his performance (doubtful I know but he should) as we were handed decision after decision... I doubt a ref like that would have had the balls to call the PK if he hadn't f*cked up large with the sub...

If a team had kept playing through the sub on us, we'd be screaming bloody murder...

I'll take the draw - and take the faith that Winter adjusted on the fly and 'made it happen', and in this league - with all the twist, turns, and bad officiating, you need to do that...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post

Dero almost single handedly changes the outcome of the game,

Not to open up the can of worms too much but he hardly changed the game himself.

Frei gave him the first goal and Iro the next two.

It's not like he overpowered anybody, or did anything really to impose his will on our players and score a goal

He hit the net from 25-30 yards
    He found himself alone in front of Frei with the ball on his foot
    And he stood over the penalty spot on another gifted goal.

It sucks that he was on the end of all of those but he hardly imposed his will on the game.

Benefactor of circumstance if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Not to open up the can of worms too much but he hardly changed the game himself.

Frei gave him the first goal and Iro the next two.

It's not like he overpowered anybody, or did anything really to impose his will on our players and score a goal

He hit the net from 25-30 yards
    He found himself alone in front of Frei with the ball on his foot
    And he stood over the penalty spot on another gifted goal.

It sucks that he was on the end of all of those but he hardly imposed his will on the game.

Benefactor of circumstance if you ask me.
    Was thinking that too, but still credit where credit is due for finishing. Over 5 years how many sitters and gifts have TFC players made a mess of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Was thinking that too, but still credit where credit is due for finishing. Over 5 years how many sitters and gifts have TFC players made a mess of
    Absolutely. When given the chances he finished like the proven goal scorer that he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, the ref was dubious... although he got the Hamid red correct. A keeper just can't come out of his 18 yard box, NOT get the ball, and then come barreling into a forward and clash into the forward's legs just as the forward chases the ball that went past. Red card in any league. Given what happened to MLS players this season on dangerous challenges, Hamid deserved it. I was actually surprised -- I thought the ref would chicken out and give a yellow. If Avila had gotten hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if the league extended the suspension.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't blame iro, blame winter.

my match report, asking iro to run a 3 man defence with a converted midfielder and a rookie left back was asking for trouble.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post

my match report, asking iro to run a 3 man defence with a converted midfielder and a rookie left back was asking for trouble.
    no one expected Iro to screw up and let the ball pass through his legs or push people in the box for a penalty. Individual mistakes, not a team one
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post

What part of the "running a three man defence" job title makes it okay to let a trappable ball through your legs?

Honestly...blaming winter for this loss is ridiculous.

I stopped reading your blog when you said that Eckersley played the right wingback position really well.

I saw things very different than you.

Eck was trying to be effective but did not look good going forward at all.

Anyways.

On to the next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blamming Winter for Iro's F-up is ridiculous.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On a positive for Iro, looks like he's officially given credit for the 3rd goal instead of Koevermans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    On a positive for Iro, looks like he's officially given credit for the 3rd goal instead of Koevermans.
    to think he almost scored the winner.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric Hassli scored just 33 seconds into Vancouver's match against Chicago, which beat TFC's record of 2 minutes set by Miguel Cañizalez in 2007
    |
    x______________________________________________

Twitter: toast84

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    What part of the "running a three man defence" job title makes it okay to let a trappable ball through your legs?

Honestly...blaming winter for this loss is ridiculous.

I stopped reading your blog when you said that Eckersley played the right wingback position really well.

I saw things very different than you.

Eck was trying to be effective but did not look good going forward at all.

Anyways.

On to the next game.
    first off it's a tie, but it does definitely feels like a loss, anyway hopefully you at least read the bit where I complained about dc getting a lot of space down eckersley's side, he certainly didn't play the role perfectly.

anyway, after that i got into the explanation of why blame winter.

basically if you're going to go with 3 at the back, you need really good players who aren't going to make mistakes and have the ability to put out the inevitable fires such an attacking formation will bring, Iro is not that player, and it's unfair to expect him to do that, and blame him too much when it goes wrong. Did iro do a lot of things wrong, absolutely, but that's the type of player he is and the pressure was too much for him.

It's the same problem as last august under preki, but in reverse. after santos and barrett and mista got injured, we had obie and ibbe up front. No way they were going to be able to play well in preki's defensive system, they just weren't good enough to be able to create the offence by themselves. and thus we couldn't score to save our lives, and preki didn't really adjust to help them out.

were they crucified, or was it preki? cos winter left iro out to dry just as much as preki left obie and ibbe out to dry last year.

anyway, we've now conclusively learnt that iro isn't good enough to be THE MAN in defence, a good lesson to learn, let's make sure we get someone better before next season starts.

anyway, thanks for reading at least half of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    That's why Koevermans was patting Iro on the back, he'd got himself in alone in front of Cronin, screened him and redirected the ball. Still looked like a mess by Cronin but slightly better on him now.

As for Iro, man, the guy can only get better. In a way, thinking of our other big and not very mobile defender, Cann, Iro somehow looks more comfortable than Cann did at the beginning in the system. And no one is constantly that mistake prone that has played consistently well previously, is not hurt and only 27. But, that's been a question all year, who can play back there? I don't think Winter and Mariner have figured it out yet. And Dutch football is not traditionally known for its great defenders because everyone is to be defending. 'Total football is the destruction of defensive football' They meant that positively, of course.

TFC may have to put some real money into at least one centre back.