Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    fuck all you haters, I'm getting Iro on my jersey
    LOL! That will make two!

yours....and his.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It also should be said that scoring thee goals against a 10-man side is more than acceptable production. Our defense was the major let down tonight. Iro was the main culprit, and Winter is responsible for Iro. Hes also responsible for fixing it, and the punishment that comes if he fails to do so.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QSIM View Post
    Well, were on the rise. Point away from home, shoulda been three but we are improving. That's the key.

At the beginning of the year we were shite. Utter shite. We couldn't score and our defending was horrid. We lost 3-0 to DC at home.

Now, our attack and midfield is competent. Its actually quite good. However our defense is still in shambles. We tied DC 3-3

All that's left is to shape up our back line. Patch it up, recover from injuries, add some personelle and well be a pleasure to watch. Who knows, next time we win 3-0?

BUMP.

Lets look at the bright side of life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    That doesn't mean that we won't be offering him a contract!

So essentially what you are saying is that Winter and Company gave up Dero in a trade for Tchani, who was traded for Iro, who will be released at the end of the season?! So we got nothing in a trade for DeRo, essentially?!

You can't tell me that the TFC management don't want Iro to be a full time player for TFC after this season...there is no way they would have given up all that they have, and NOT want him as our full time CB!
    Yes like I said in this thread earlier - Vince Carter trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    People should get off Frei's back. Penalty kicks are largely a guessing game. What's concerning is how we concede penalties way more often thatn we score them.

Sutton saved one penalty in his time with us and somehow he got away with coming 4.5 yards off his line.
    You're right penalty kicks are largely a guessing game. I've just never seen a goalie guess wrong every single time over the course of roughly 80 games. I'm not mad at him. I just find it utterly baffling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep! We're no longer shite, we're simply bad and inching towards mediocrity.

Our offense has been on fire, but the defense is currently playing "Almost Football".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    This is exactly it.

Our team is starting to fight! And I will not let that go unnoticed.
    Look, before this game, I pretty much had said that we had shown some improvement, but I was very cautious because of the quality of opponents we had played in that span of 3 games. Tonight I thought to myself, I'll be able to tell if we really have improved or not.

Regardless of where you think the blame lies tonight, everything considered, I think this result was extremely dissapointing. When we went up a man in the 6th minute or whatever it was I thought, wow, we have a chance to actually win our first game on the road. It's not like DC knows how to play well at home or anything. So I trully though we had a shot. In the end it was trully dissapointing to make the rookie mistakes we made when this is supposed to be the much improved roster.

The problem isn't just Iro. Iro was left on the pitch because 4 or 5 other defenders aren't cutting it either. This defense needs a serious revamp from top to bottom except Eckersley. (And yes I would keep Henry but as a longer term project). And that's dissapointing, that we are still in this state at this stage in the game.

Just like with Preki the improvement in goals allowed ment nothing to me since we couldnt put the ball in the net, the same goes for Winter. I don't care too much right now that we can score 3 goals in a game when we can't defend. I don't think we can say this team has improved until we can play a much more balanced game the we did today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Observations:

DeRo deserves our respect - he showed us respect tonight (I bet he would be happy to come back to T.O.)
    Iro needs more time or I have to stop my man crush for Mariner
    4 games without a loss = progress
    Frei is not a well rounded keeper until he stops a PK
    As a team, we looked tired
    We don't look like we studied our opponent tonight - our tactics we mediocre
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Will Frei ever save a penalty at TFC?

I certainly hope so, he sucks at penalty's.

This part of his game needs massive improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    It's funny because...Tim Ream would be perfect.
    And to be fair...so would Dejan Jakovic.
    I would give up just about anyone on this team for Tim ream. But no way NY parts with him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Look, before this game, I pretty much had said that we had shown some improvement, but I was very cautious because of the quality of opponents we had played in that span of 3 games. Tonight I thought to myself, I'll be able to tell if we really have improved or not.

Regardless of where you think the blame lies tonight, everything considered, I think this result was extremely dissapointing. When we went up a man in the 6th minute or whatever it was I thought, wow, we have a chance to actually win our first game on the road. It's not like DC knows how to play well at home or anything. So I trully though we had a shot. In the end it was trully dissapointing to make the rookie mistakes we made when this is supposed to be the much improved roster.

The problem isn't just Iro. Iro was left on the pitch because 4 or 5 other defenders aren't cutting it either. This defense needs a serious revamp from top to bottom except Eckersley. (And yes I would keep Henry but as a longer term project). And that's dissapointing, that we are still in this state at this stage in the game.

Just like with Preki the improvement in goals allowed ment nothing to me since we couldnt put the ball in the net, the same goes for Winter. I don't care too much right now that we can score 3 goals in a game when we can't defend. I don't think we can say this team has improved until we can play a much more balanced game the we did today.
    No doubt the result is disappointing, in the context of how the game went, sure. There were still positives to be drawn, however.

I dont like how it seems like we always have to be all or nothing, emotionally.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to judge Iro when he is fit and has had a proper preseason. I don't think we are seeing a match fit, match sharp player right now. But as I said, I really question why Winter is playing the guy when he's obviously so unfit!

I think he fits into a defensive type system no problem, but not into our offensive styled system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree, and I will continue to question this view. The bottom line is if their goal keeper knows how to stop a ball from 65 yards out and knows how to close his legs this game could have easily ended 3-1 the other way. The result was the result, and it wasn't because of one player alone on our team. You have to consider what happened to them if you are going to make a statement like that.
    I concede that DC was playing down a man with their back up keeper. That being said, their keeper wasn't directly responsible for any of their goals. Marosevic's goal was the result of a ball their keeper initally punched out of the box that deflected off a defender. JDG's goal was (astonishingly) one of the greatest long range strikes in TFC history, and I don't think their keeper had a chance. Koeverman's goal was off a goal mouth scramble in close from a corner, and that would have been a difficult save for any keeper. Moreover, none of our goals were handed to us by careless turnovers.

I don't think you can compare the quality of the goals TFC scored to the goals DCU scored. DeRo was a man on a mission tonight, but the reality is that two of his goals were handed to him on a silver platter because of one defender. If you remove Iro's mistakes from the equation, TFC wins the match 3-1 on the road against a team that was shorthanded, and that would have put an entirely different complexion on the overall performance of the club.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-06-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody else see a possible future for Frings at CB for TFC? He's a calm head at the back, which is what we need. DeRo made him look SLOW tho!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of drama queens, the only drama queen I saw tonight was the DC coach after De Guzmen scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I concede that DC was playing down a man with their back up keeper. That being said, their keeper wasn't directly responsible for any of their goals. Marosevic's goal was the result of a ball their keeper initally punched out of the box that deflected off a defender.
    That's totally ridiculous, the keeper has to play better than that.

I can't believe the efforts people are going to in order to make something of this.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If folks are factoring in DC's circumstances, such as 10 men and a back up keeper let's chalk up match fitness, Portland to Nicaragua back to Toronto to DC and newness as a team in ours.

Reasons aren't excuses.

Anyways, without the card we were likely looking at a road loss. Ended with a draw which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things unless you were expecting is to jump back into the playoffs after tonight.

Disappointing. Not much more to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can compare the quality of the goals TFC scored to the goals DCU scored. DeRo was a man on a mission tonight, but the reality is that two of his goals were handed to him on a silver platter because of one defender. If you remove Iro's mistakes from the equation, TFC wins the match 3-1 on the road against a team that was shorthanded, and that would have put an entirely different complexion on the overall performance of the club.
    ^ This

The penalty kick was kind of a dive but was boneheaded of Iro to be that physical on his man. The through the legs miss was a gift straight up.

TFC would have won without those mistakes. The goals we scored were nice.

Heathen

Does anybody else see a possible future for Frings at CB for TFC? He's a calm head at the back, which is what we need. DeRo made him look SLOW tho!
    That would be a huge waste and I think he'd get found out very quickly. It's fine if we're playing 3-4-3 going all out for a goal in the last 10 minutes but it would be a disaster as a long-term strategy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Dude, we just picked up Iro to address this weakness. That's seriously troubling!

True. But on the bright side, we tried him out and don't like him so we can send him packing in the off season for a better suited CB for this team.

Unlike MoJo who would sign players for years on extended contracts before ascertaining that they fit into the system, Mariner is more pragmatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe the efforts people are going to in order to make something of this.
    Exactly.
    Much like our keeper should have played better. If he wasnt slow on the first goal and made a better effort we would have won 3-2. Yes Iro made some mistakes. but so did others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I certainly hope so, he sucks at penalty's.

This part of his game needs massive improvement.
    Penalties scored are not the fault of the keeper. A perfect penalty is impossible to save - the shooter should never miss. So let's get off Frei for this. It's complete BS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would give up just about anyone on this team for Tim ream. But no way NY parts with him.
    Stefan Frei + 1st Round Draft Pick oughta do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It also should be said that scoring thee goals against a 10-man side is more than acceptable production. Our defense was the major let down tonight. Iro was the main culprit, and Winter is responsible for Iro. Hes also responsible for fixing it, and the punishment that comes if he fails to do so.

- Scott
    Agreed. Winter and Mariner are responsible for Iro. He will likely get the opportunity to redeem himself because of the cost of acquiring him, but it certainly doesn't look promising for him at the moment. I think it might be time to give Viator and Robinson a look at CB. TFC can't afford to give up a PK every match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed the game but watched the replay so not emotionally attached to this game. Can't blame Iro for the penalty kick, DeRo was going to finish the rebound and he took a bit of a dive. Not saying he played a great game but personally think he is better than Harden. Maybe de Guzman will be a good trade for a center back in the off season? Nice to see the Academy playing a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If folks are factoring in DC's circumstances, such as 10 men and a back up keeper let's chalk up match fitness, Portland to Nicaragua back to Toronto to DC and newness as a team in ours.

Reasons aren't excuses.

Anyways, without the card we were likely looking at a road loss. Ended with a draw which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things unless you were expecting is to jump back into the playoffs after tonight.

Disappointing. Not much more to say.
    You have it backwards. It's me factoring in DC's circumstances, and it's not to MAKE my point about why we loss. It's to challenge the point that we would've won if it wasn't because of OUR circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our defenders haven't been strong, how do you take all your ball-winners out of midfield and leave the backline so naked? There was absolutely nobody shielding the backline from runs.

I think Ben Olsen coached a better game waving his arms around frantically most of the game than Winter did. At least he can actually get his players to give a fuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The keeper punched it out, what else was he supposed to do? It bounced off his own defender right to Marosevic. Why is it ridiculous?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see and understand this point. But honestly, I think we are two or three decent defenders from being top 8 in the league. From there it is a matter of the team gelling, playing for eachother, and believing in themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concede that DC was playing down a man with their back up keeper. That being said, their keeper wasn't directly responsible for any of their goals. Marosevic's goal was the result of a ball their keeper initally punched out of the box that deflected off a defender. JDG's goal was (astonishingly) one of the greatest long range strikes in TFC history, and I don't think their keeper had a chance. Koeverman's goal was off a goal mouth scramble in close from a corner, and that would have been a difficult save for any keeper. Moreover, none of our goals were handed to us by careless turnovers.

And if that was the result, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But it wasn't.

My problem is this post suggests that if we get rid of Iro we'll start winning games 3-1. The reality is, this team can't defend. And it can't defend as team. Iro plus the rest of our defenders aren't very good. But I also fear that tactics has something to do with it as well. There's a reason why every CB that's been tried in that position this year hasn't looked very good. I'm certainly not ready to say this team is a playoff contender if we replace Iro. This game showed that we have much further to go.

Oh, and I disagree on the goals we scored. I don't know how Koev's and Maro's goals can't be considered gifts. I don't think either player will score an easier goal this year. And I also don't think JDG's goal goes in with a 17 year old rep keeper.