Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post

DC's isn't intentionally building a team around Dero. He's a piece of the puzzle as he should've been with TFC and as he was with Houston. With Najar and Charlie Davis out who the heck did you expect would be scoring for them?
    I actually don't see much consistency is building a team at all. It's more like collecting some great individuals.

This DC team is a far cry from the great DC teams that won all those trophies, which had a consistent, attractive latino style.

I don't think this DC team is set to repeat those glory days, at least not in the near future. They are probably destined to be a middling MLS team.

One thing you have to say about Olsen and Onstad: they must know how to handle egos with a couple of big ones on the squad (and I'm thinking especially of Charlie Davies).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Who's Vukovic? Academy player?
    Stefan Vukovic. Plays no. 9 position for the academy. Also top scorer in the CSL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's Vukovic? Academy player?
    Yes. If I'm not mistaken he's the leading scorer in the CSL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I actually don't see much consistency is building a team at all. It's more like collecting some great individuals.

This DC team is a far cry from the great DC teams that won all those trophies, which had a consistent, attractive latino style.

I don't think this DC team is set to repeat those glory days, at least not in the near future. They are probably destined to be a middling MLS team.
    You're right. DC United isn't building around a "system". The DC United of 2007 played a system. DC is just like any other average MLS team -- they bring together a bunch of disparate individuals and play what Klinsmann calls the "hectic MLS style."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Stefan Vukovic. Plays no. 9 position for the academy. Also top scorer in the CSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Yes. If I'm not mistaken he's the leading scorer in the CSL.
    Thanks.

And wow. A goalscorer we need in the future. So I assume we are going to sign him next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

And wow. A goalscorer we need in the future. So I assume we are going to sign him next season.
    Most likely. He's looks big and physical and has a great eye for goal. Great backup for the Koov. Here's his hattrick earlier this season...

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/con...atid=2&id=3099

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He scored this morning in the reserve game, a 2-1 loss to DC. Great movement in by Cordon to Makebuya, who sent a square cross tapped in by Vukovic. Goals against were a PK and a free kick from 22 yards out. Kosic was pissed at the wall being out of position. Otherwise Kosic played well. The game probably should have been a draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they credit Iro with Koevs goal?

Wow, if you watch Avila's post game interview - very Adrian Cann-esque. Kinda looks like him too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QSIM View Post

Wow, if you watch Avila's post game interview - very Adrian Cann-esque. Kinda looks like him too.

I thought the exact same thing, he has similar mannerisms.

They look like brothers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reserve League: D.C. United 2, Toronto FC 1

SCORING SUMMARY

• D.C. United - Charlie Davies 58’ (Penalty)
    • Toronto F.C. - Steven Vukovic (Keith Makubuya) 77’
    • D.C. United - Marc Burch 80’

LINEUPS
    D.C. United: Joe Willis; Chris Korb, Ethan White, Devon McTavish (Jalen Robinson* 46'), Marc Burch; Brandon Barklage (Seth C' deBaca* 50'), Stephen King, Conor Shanosky (Kurt Morsink 71'), Austin da Luz; Charlie Davies (Andy Najar 78'), Blake Brettschneider
    Unused Substitutes: Steve Cronin
    Toronto FC: Milos Kocic; Dasan Robinson, Eddy Viator, Nathan Kelsey (Tyler Pasher 46'), Mikael Yourassowsky; Sergio Camargo (Matt Gold 46'), Nathan Sturgis, Oscar Cordon; Nick Soolsma (Demitrius Omphroy 46'), Stefan Vukovic, Javier Martina (Keith Makubuya 59')
    Unused Substitutes: Quillan Roberts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy Fucking Iro.

I had to see it again. Iro falls over his own fucking feet.

And then the 97th minute wide open header by Ethan White in which the entire backline went to sleep.

This is arguably the worst defense in the history of the club. And it's not like a healthy set of CBs is the solution, we leaked in 4 against Vancouver on day one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if TFC can really afford Iro and his Garcia-esque mistakes every game until he sorts himself out. 4 goals direct result of his screw ups.

I'm sure Iro tries hard, but esp for CCL games, Iro is turning into a liability
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing what a difference one single goal could make. A 3-3 tie away, and to some, this result is an unmitigated disaster. Even with Iro's very poor performance, a 3-2 or whatever away win for us, would probably have made a lot of happy people here. Some maybe even stating that we have finally turned this team around. My point is we are closer than some think.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo scores goals he's selfish. DeRo plays the playmaker role and sets up plays and goals in NY and the same people were declaring his demise. Has anyone seen NY's record since he left? Has anyone seen DCs since he arrived?

Good to know things haven't changed around here. But the slanted info is frustrating to read. He makes every team he plays on better. Theirs and his record shows that. Everything else is just obfuscation.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 08-07-2011 at 03:52 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right Roogsy, it's a particular bad Toronto habit to put down past players.

I'm not really thinking much about DeRo, everyone needs to let go. He's gone and he's never coming back. Who cares whether he does the shake and bake, whether he's selfish or not, people need to let it go. That's not our future, it's our past. It's sad how it ended, but let's move on. Let's look for example at the great work the academy is doing.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-07-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is how I hope we can all feel eventually but I hold little hope.

At this point I hope he finds what he is looking for on other teams and continues to have a stellar career as an example of what a local Canadian kid can accomplish.

As for TFC I hope next year is a breakout year followed by more success in each subsequent year. I don't ever want to come back to this horrendous shit we've been punished with for 5 seasons. Ever.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed Roogsy, on both points (DeRo and TFC next year).

Actually, I hope DeRo finally gets a crack at playing in Europe for a decent club. I realize it's his dream.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-07-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a little chat with DeRo this morning. Praised him for a masterful game last night, and wished him well with the remainder of his career. He said he was glad to see Toronto fans still representing the club on the road and hopes we will continue to do so.

I do believe that he would have difficulty fitting into most systems that more structured teams play and think that the moves he has experienced will be to his benefit, just as I expect the long term position of Toronto FC will improve over time. DeRo is a leading man and DC is in need of one.

Talking with him today I experienced his true class and devotion to the game. He still thinks highly of the Toronto fans. I hope we think about that during the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    It's amazing what a difference one single goal could make. A 3-3 tie away, and to some, this result is an unmitigated disaster. Even with Iro's very poor performance, a 3-2 or whatever away win for us, would probably have made a lot of happy people here. Some maybe even stating that we have finally turned this team around. My point is we are closer than some think.
    I don't about you, even had we won the game, it would've been an embarrassing win.

Whenever you concede a goal with a man up its a concern. When u concede 3 its a REAL concern. On top of that, our goals came from mistakes from a 3rd choice gk. Take away our goals, and we did nothing with the ball. Played to slow, nobody moved.

People keep saying we're improving. But in reality, the best we did was tie a game against a expansion team and beat a Nicaraguan team. Boy, I'm impressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    I don't about you, even had we won the game, it would've been an embarrassing win.

Whenever you concede a goal with a man up its a concern. When u concede 3 its a REAL concern. On top of that, our goals came from mistakes from a 3rd choice gk. Take away our goals, and we did nothing with the ball. Played to slow, nobody moved.

People keep saying we're improving. But in reality, the best we did was tie a game against a expansion team and beat a Nicaraguan team. Boy, I'm impressed.
    Sorry but Frei looked just as bad on DCs first goal as Cronin did on TFCs goals.

That is what set the game going down the wrong path.

Then Iro decided to treat the ball like a grenade for the rest of the game.

I don't care if you're up a man...when you have players making mistakes if that magnitude it's going to be hard to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed the game but just re-watched the highlights on the team website. I think people have been unfair to Iro... On the 2nd goal ball went through his feet.. .so what... You could tell how much his little tap in meant to him (and Koov) who as others have stated, could be seen talking to him after DeGuz's goal. The penalty was a dive by DeRo for sure... Iro was trying to get around him... but backed off... DeRo actually ran back INTO Iro trying to get to the ball and then it seems their feet got tangled and he clipped Dero's heel.. but accidental.. experienced officials. might not have given a penalty... He should feel redeemed.. not many defenders are able to answer an error by scoring a goal.. even if it's a little nudge in. Judging by what others said the team was probably tired... and that makes a difference. Could have been better... oh well.. thread propably locked after this. ps winners don't whine
    Last edited by Wingback6; 08-07-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: paragraphs compressed wen posted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's bullshit.

The 2nd goal is a fucking school boy error on a pedestrian cross. Whack that shit away. You learn that at an age prior to your balls dropping. Frings should've covered Dero a little better but Iro is just shit on that play. Utter shit.

Iro tripped over his own feet and ran into Dero and even beforehand was a part of that clusterfuck of a chance DC had in the first place.

This is the worst defense the club has ever had and it is concerning that no matter the staff we manage to find these inept guys playing in defense for us.

New York gets Tim Ream, we draft Julius Fucking James. Says it all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

outside of Iros poor game (im not ready to string him up yet) thought we played decently and continue to show promise. definitely should have finished the game earlier on and i think thatll come, still only the 4th game of these guys playing together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also think we need to start shooting from farther away, too much trying to walk the ball into the net in the first half

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QSIM View Post

Yeah, they gave the goal to Iro and gave Koevermans the assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    also think we need to start shooting from farther away, too much trying to walk the ball into the net in the first half
    I was saying this to the friends I was watching the match with as soon as Cronin came in. You could tell he was shaky and they didn't test him until the 2nd half with shots from distance. Who knows maybe TFC could have scored one or two more or could have got a few more corners or a rebound or not. Either way they could have generated more scoring opportunities.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed whole heartedly.
    id even go so far as to say thats something we need to do on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

It also opens up the backline because they can't just bunker back and wait for us to thread a pass through if we are also a threat to shoot from distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man you guys are hard to pleased. Its been 4 games with all these new guys and we've already shown much improvement since forever. I'm excited with our new found ability to score and Management getting pieces that fit in the system.

BTW: anyone have an assessment on Avila? didn't watch the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    That's bullshit.

The 2nd goal is a fucking school boy error on a pedestrian cross. Whack that shit away. You learn that at an age prior to your balls dropping. Frings should've covered Dero a little better but Iro is just shit on that play. Utter shit.

Iro tripped over his own feet and ran into Dero and even beforehand was a part of that clusterfuck of a chance DC had in the first place.

This is the worst defense the club has ever had and it is concerning that no matter the staff we manage to find these inept guys playing in defense for us.

New York gets Tim Ream, we draft Julius Fucking James. Says it all.

Chill the fuck out man. You keep saying the same shit over and over again.

We get it. You are pissed off - go have a pint and take a deep breath. It's not the end of the world.

This team is still a work in progress and the sooner you accept it, the less we will have to read your mumble jumble.

This board is ridiculous sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been just as patient as everyone else on this board. I'm HAPPY we have an offense, I'm HAPPY we're scoring more, I'm amazed that after 5 years we're easily one of the worst teams in MLS while Seattle and Philadelphia are having no troubles at all.

Hell, Portland can probably be good in the near future.

They could do it, why is it so hard for us?